• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you delete your text messages?

Years
I delete texts from my parents most of the time because it's just small talk I have with them, and the same for my brother whenever he texts me, but I never delete text messages from my girlfriend.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I rarely delete text messages, but I will on occasion. Usually, if I receive spam texts or texts from numbers I'm unaware of, I'll delete those right away. Other than that, whenever I'm in the mood, I'll delete the ones that have piled up after months to start off new. There really is no reason behind why I delete them, though.

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
I own this FANTASTIC phone, right?

If I don't delete messages off my FANTASTIC phone, eventually it fills its internal memory until suddenly my FANTASTIC phone can no longer receive texts and won't notify my about them.

This is a smartphone by the way. :^

So I do indeed delete my texts eventually when they start to pile up

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The only ones I delete are ones from cold callers (or texters, in this case) that somehow managed to get my mobile number and keep spamming me with stuff about PPI repayment or some other crap. Everything else I keep. Not because I go back and look at them all, but because my phone has enough memory to store them all and I can't really be bothered to go through all of my texts to find the ones that I don't want to cherish forever and ever.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I don't delete any, but that's more down to laziness than anything. My phone stores ridiculous amounts of texts, more than I'll likely ever reach, so keeping them isn't an issue for me. I'd rather have them there for reference/reading back through for memory's sake than delete them for the hell of it.

Melody

Banned
Years
I delete:
  • Spam & Junk & other promotional messages immediately. (Automated usually and auto-spammed by my SMS app or Mr. Number)
  • Notifications older than 1 month from Bank(s), Telco(s), and other businesses if there's too much clutter.
  • Old messages from someone if I need to for some reason.
  • Messages that are otherwise useless
  • Old single-use authentication codes for online services if my inbox is cluttered.

I keep:
  • Normal text messages
  • One-time use auth codes for up to a day
  • All payment confirmation texts from telco (Txt2Pay) less than a year old

I also keep an app running that denies most cold callers and allows me to report and add new ones to my blocklist called Mr. Number. It comes in handy because I can then deny new spammers.

Because my messages are often backed up semi-regularly, I don't typically lose any. My phone has also NEVER run out of space. I don't know how anybody does. I guess I don't get that many text messages. XD

I typically manage my inbox maybe once a month to cut out the automated messages I get that keep me notified of various things or grant me access to things.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I never delete texts but every so often (twice in the whole time I've had it), my phone decides that enough is enough and wipes my text history squeaky clean. And then I get to feel super lame while the only people in my texting history are my immediate family for a few weeks until another crest in my social life wavepool. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 25, 2013
I don't delete my text messages, unless the text messages are from people I don't know, which tends to happen a lot.

Honest

Hi!
Years
My phone automatically deletes after the inbox hits 250 messages. So technically yes, but it's not of my choosing.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I text A LOT, so I delete all my texts every day to avoid clutter in my inbox. There were times that I've gone past the 200 mark which after 200 texts in a thread, the older texts get automatically deleted.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Nah I like to keep stuff there for reference. There are lots of times when I need to go back to an old message and screen-cap it and send it to someone :/

Plus, it kinda helps in some arguments about utterly pointless stuff D:

Back