The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Esper

Advertise here
Imagine the technology exists that would let you "share" your mind with someone where your two minds become one mind, benefiting from each other's knowledge, experience, and perception. A person who doesn't know how to play the piano could know how if the other person does, and so on. (Science is getting closer to this than you may think.) You'd instantly know how to do things without having to learn them if someone else learned them first.

Would you do it if it were only temporary? Would you do it if it were permanent? What circumstances would you do it under? Do you think you'd have more empathy for the other person, or would you worry about losing your individuality?

deviantart blog pair
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I wouldn't do it solely because then they would (I assume) have access to my memories, and know everything about me.
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Nah, I don't think I'd do this. I like to be able to have my own thoughts.

I think the only time it'd be convenient and would consider doing it, is like in that particular scene in the movie What Women Want.. if you know what I mean.
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:55 PM
KriegStein
Nuclear Reactor

Nature: Lonely
I would do it. Sounds so interesting that Id definetly try it. But I doupt the other mind would survive the connection... So yeah. I might be more emphatic towards the person of course.

Old March 16th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
I wouldn't do it because the last thing I need on my conscious is driving some poor sucker insane now.

Gotta love the high life.
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Naw, I wanna keep my own mind. I think it would be too weird to share a mind with someone, though I admit the idea is interesting.
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
I'd do it if it were temporary, but not permanent. I'd need to try it out - finding the ability to do things I've never been able to do before, having knowledge and understanding on more of the universe than my mind can personally grasp. That seems fantastic to me. But again, only temporary. I wouldn't want to fuse with another person for good, it might be a bit intrusive.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
umm,i don't think i would do it..i never choose the easy way when it comes to things cuz i like challenges however i'm lazy sometimes i like to keep myself the way i am and take the old fashioned way of learning things!

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I'd do it in a heartbeat because there's nothing in my mind that's TOO weird. If I could learn to repair a washing machine in exchange for someone learning how to sew and at the cost of them knowing that I don't know what a thigh gap is, then so be it.
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
Nooo way. I wouldn't want them to dig up any subconscious thoughts that were either inappropriate to them or just embarrassing/private in general. Even if I could stand to benefit immensely from it, I don't think I could go through with it unless it were possible to gate off certain memories/ideas/sections of my mind from their access. Your brain is the final frontier of your identity and as such I don't think I'd want to share anything so personal with anyone else.

It's more about privacy than anything, for me. I can only consider this temporarily because I can't imagine it any other way and even then, I wouldn't worry about losing my individuality or anything, my focus is entirely on what the person I'm sharing with would have access to and what they might do with that access and information. :[

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
This is a really interesting topic. I would only use it if it were a temporary state, like I'd "copy" someone else's talent or basic understanding of something, and then the connection would be over. If this were a permament state, i wouldn't want to share my thoughts with anyone for the rest of my life, so i wouldn't even consider it.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 18th, 2013, 01:31 AM
♣Gawain♣
Onward to Music!!!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ♣Gawain♣ Send a message via Yahoo to ♣Gawain♣
I would never engage in such sharing of minds for other's benefit.

VM Δ PMPairsDeviantArtPlaying...ClubsTheme
Old March 18th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Starry Windy
Show your Victory!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I would do it, as long as I'm still able to become myself even though sharing minds and abilities, and I would care more to the other person if I know that other person's minds. Because I'm unsure of this, I want to try it temporarily.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
No I would not do this as it sound too scary to share minds with others.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
I wouldn't do it solely because then they would (I assume) have access to my memories, and know everything about me.
Yeah, assuming that the person would experience anything I thought of, they'd try to kill me if they found out what I was thinking on a daily basis (I think of some pretty weird scenarios lol)
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
If I were to do this, It would have to be with someone I trust very immensely and love deeply. I don't think I could bear it to be with anyone else. I doubt leaving it as a permanent melding would be quite wise either...but if there was simply a link that allowed us to choose what we shared with one another, then that would be fine. Just so long as we would only be sharing what we wanted to share.

I don't think such a technology would ever be useful without such a feature anyway.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here