The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
The Good Wife is really good this season! So is Revenge... but those are the only two shows that I watch that are airing here at the moment. Grey's Anatomy is still on hiatus for some reason even I can't explain... it should have been back in early February.
Revenge! I see the ads for that whenever I watch Once Upon A Time. It looks so... cheeseballtastic. xD Once is also pretty good, but I think half of the reason is because I watch it with people who are really into it and it spills out. They've done some dumb things with the show (Belle in these last several episodes), and some characters (like Aurora and Mulan they belong together) seem to have been written out. It doesn't make the show unwatchable, but it still bugs me.

deviantart blog pair
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Antemortem

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Wow, you guys speaking of those television shows, specifically Revenge and The Good Wife, is making me realize how little television I watch in general, and what I do watch is limited to one or two shows on one or two different channels, and they're typically older shows or recycled episodes of currently-running shows. I mean, really, all I really watch weekly is Grey's Anatomy (and that just started recently!), Cougar Town, and maybe Justified. I can't seem to catch the shows that has everybody hooked, such as Duck Dynasty or The Walking Dead, so I gave up on those. :/
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
how is my favorite hangout thread doing
surely you haven't forgotten about me just yet
your almighty blast from the past

I haven't been watching much recent television as of late, nothing really encapsulates my attention nowadays, I enjoy Revenge, but that hasn't been able to grab hold of my heart and mind just yet!!! Lately, I've been powering through Will & Grace (all eight seasons, fabulous show) and classic seasons of The Simpsons. Bloody hell, I forgot how great a character Mr Burns is in the earlier seasons, and Ned was more than just a Christian!!! Crazy!!!
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Oh wait, Bob's Burgers is still on. Everyone should watch that! It's the closest descendant to The Simpsons that is actually good. It's much zanier than the previous show, but it does bear an awful lot of similarities!

(Pssssssst, David! Methinks it's time to change the thread title! :D)
Old March 18th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Antemortem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cat Dog View Post
Oh wait, Bob's Burgers is still on. Everyone should watch that! It's the closest descendant to The Simpsons that is actually good. It's much zanier than the previous show, but it does bear an awful lot of similarities!
OHMYGOD! I don't necessarily watch Bob's Burgers that much, but I've seen an episode of it and what I saw was rather amusing. I should try to watch that again somewhere sometime because now that you mention it, it's going to run through my mind until I do. That also reminds me of a hilarious gif I found on tumblr the other day.

So simple yet so dryly humorous. XD
Old March 18th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

so what does the 20/20 experience mean exactly
is there some reference i'm not picking up????
Old March 18th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Antemortem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
so what does the 20/20 experience mean exactly
is there some reference i'm not picking up????
Why, it's Justin Timberlake's new album, of course! I believed it was released internationally three days ago.
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

IM SO LAZY WHEN IT COMES TO LISTENING TO NEW MUSIC
APPARENTLY BEYONCE HAS A NEW SONG TOO...IT WILL BE LIKE TWO WEEKS UNTIL I LISTEN TO IT PROBABLY
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Antemortem

I usually am, too, but this just reached out and grabbed me and I had to listen to every song because almost all of them are really good, and that's rare in an album, especially of Timberlake's.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Esper

I'm sad that David Bowie got knocked out of #1 US album last week by Bon Jovi. So close! And I mean, c'mon. Bon Jovi? Even the fans of them said it wasn't their best album, whereas Bowie's is seen as the best of his later albums and some even say it's among the best he's ever had. I had such high hopes for you, America. You let me down.

deviantart blog pair
Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Being on #1 is based on sales, not on album quality.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:11 PM
Antemortem

If the top anything was based on the actual quality of the music, there are a lot of albums and songs that are rated highly that wouldn't have even made it off the ground.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:29 PM
Esper

I know it's based on sales and that's why I was disappointed. Like, we came so close. It was like a shining beacon of hope. But now I'm happier because I read that Sigur Rós is coming out with a new album this summer.

deviantart blog pair
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:04 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

In other news, My Chemical Romance just broke up.

This is the most pleasing news about that band I have ever heard.
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Axton
hear me roar

For a minute, I thought you were gonna be upset about that and I was about to just close the thread and walk away forever. I know someone's probably gonna read this and wanna murder me but... damn; I thought they were awful after their first album which, in itself, was mediocre at best.

As for the whole album thing - sales is honestly the only objective measure of an album's "position", imo. The quality of the music is too subjective to be used on charts.
Old March 24th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Yeah, popularity and quality should never be thought of as the same thing. It's a shame that many people unfortunately do think that, though. Including a large proportion of my friends, which disappoints me to no end.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Esper

But it's nice when something good is popular. You can feel good about it.

deviantart blog pair
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Antemortem

Thing is, it's sad when something bad - and I speak in a sense that there is a such thing as knowing what bad music is without necessarily being subjective - is popular because it's a grim reflection on how people appreciate music nowadays. :x
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Esper

I think the worst part of bad music being popular is that people overlook good music. Like, not just you and me, but producers and people who could help a struggling artist get some publicity or whatnot.

Guess it's a lot easier with the interweb machine, but still. The internet is a big place and easy to get lost in.

deviantart blog pair
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Antemortem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Guess it's a lot easier with the interweb machine, but still. The internet is a big place and easy to get lost in.
That it is, and with all the people trying to get discovered, there's bound to be many shattered dreams in the wake of those lucky enough to be stumbled upon.
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Thomas Wiencek

Since the Beach Boys album "Pet Sounds" was considered the best album ever, has it ever won any awards?
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Antemortem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wiencek View Post
Since the Beach Boys album "Pet Sounds" was considered the best album ever, has it ever won any awards?
No, I don't believe it's won a single award.

Richard Griffiths died! That's greatly saddening.
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Thomas Wiencek

Well? Why hasn't it won a single award?
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Esper

Because some things are recognized in their own time and awards are usually given in the moment when things are still new and fresh in people's minds.

You wouldn't want to wait, say, ten years to give out the Oscars. In that time you might have too much hindsight and not think anything that year was very good. Or, more importantly, it wouldn't matter so long after the fact.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:07 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I think it'd be really interesting to have an award show that did that. I don't necessarily think that awards bodies would be so cynical as to think that nothing in a particular year was any good. If anything, the added hind sight can allow properties (whether it be film/music/whatever) that didn't have a lot of impact in their given year but found a second life later on to get their dues. Which can only be a good thing!

Sponsored Links