The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center > Competitive Team Help

Notices

Competitive Team Help Having trouble with your competitive Pokémon team? Be sure to check here if you need any help on it. Any teams intended for in-game and casual play should be posted in the In-Game Team Help sub-forum.

Old March 18th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Silversnk
Valar Dohaeris

Nature: Calm
So, this is my current OU team, it's exported from Pokémon Showdown:

Heiss (Mamoswine) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Achilles (Garchomp) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Dual Chop

Rogue (Magnezone) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire] (For ferro and out of guard scizor/forretress)
- Flash Cannon

Magnezone has proven a really good switch in for steel types, but his moveset it's too predictable. I'd like to improve him in some way, also I've been thinking of giving him Charge Beam.

Haken (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 204 Spd / 128 Atk
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Gyarados has been a lifesaver a couple of times but it's easily taken down in comparison of his worth in the team, so I'd like to now which pokémon can fill his role or how can I improve it.

Archial (Breloom) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Low Sweep
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Lavi (Alakazam) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Alakazam it's a really tough guy, hits hard, but lately he's giving me problems as it's too weak (even with the focus sash, he doesn't stand for late-game because I use him and magnezone to lead most of the time)

That's it. I'd like to know if you have any comments so I can improve my team without changing too much. The only ones I'm ok with changing are Alakazam and Gyarados.
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Fairy
believe

You've got a solid team here.

You could try a bulkier supporter variation of Gyarados if you're looking for it to do something different or increase its survivability.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
Impish
248 HP / 252 Defense / 8 Speed
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Taunt
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Murt93
Battle Amateur

Nature: Jolly
why not try out life orb on alakazam?
garchomp getting locked into non-stab fire fang screams bad idea in my head if anything it will do barely 28-30% to skarmory( I don't know the exact figure) would you consider replacing this with stone edge? doesnt help out vs skarmory but gives better coverage and outrage does more to grass/ice types than fire fang rock slide is another alternative but the drop in power is noticable

charge beam on magnezone is a great idea especially when you switch into a scizor locked into bullet punch just set up your sub and proceed to set up.

I can see the genie's being capable of tearing through probably 5/6 of your team so maybe a strong revenge killer like scarf terrakion, I only suggest him because he's the best revenge killer in my opinion he might not necessarily suit your team and you do have mamoswine so you might be alright without it you'll just have to death fodder most of the time so mamoswine can get ice shard off
Don't try to apply logic to Pokemon
You'll end up hurting yourself
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Silversnk
Valar Dohaeris

Thanks both for the quick response! This is the team with the changes.

Heiss (Mamoswine) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Achilles (Garchomp) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dual Chop

Rogue (Magnezone) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Charge Beam

Haken (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Waterfall
- Taunt

I tried Dragon Tail once, it just didn't fit well, but since it's my only way to deal with the uncommon but not extinct full batton passer team I'll keep it

Archial (Breloom) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Low Sweep
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Lavi (Alakazam) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I must say I feel like a n00b when it comes to competitive battling and mostly I chose the pokémon I had in-game. I win most of the time tho, but everything was easier before the 4th Gen.
I'm still unsure about Gyarados, I think I should get something like Rotom-W so I can still use it as a switch in for predictable EQ. And about Skarmory, any functional ideas with this team?

deviantART:
~Akkien
Please forgive my horrible english as it's not my primary language.
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Murt93
Battle Amateur

Nature: Jolly
problem's with baton pass you say? well rotom-w could work nicely there as you could trick a choice item and break the chain(but they could predict trick and select baton pass so essentially gyarado's taunt work's nicer.

two tip's for competitive battling when changing your team only change it little by little you wont be able to tell if its improved if you change 2 or 3 pokemon each time,
secondly the best thing to do is simply battle practice makes perfect as they say and eventually you'll get a feel for the meta and once you know your team back to front prediction become's much easier.
in regards to skarmory it can be extremely effect vs certain teams but the thing you need to keep in mind is unpredictabilty its movepool isn't as shallow as most people think, yesterday I was completely taken by surprise when my ferrothorn was ko'd by a skarmory with flamethrower :L so if your going to run it use a set that works better against pokemon you have problem with
Don't try to apply logic to Pokemon
You'll end up hurting yourself
Old March 19th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Silversnk
Valar Dohaeris

Actually, what I meant with Skarmory was if there's any way I can easily get him off my feet with this team, because most things I've tried are helpless.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll be battling some time and post later to tell the outcomes of these changes

deviantART:
~Akkien
Please forgive my horrible english as it's not my primary language.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links