The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Who should be the new team leader?
DrFuji 4 80.00%
dbzmay 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:31 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552

Advertise here
Me and FBI and several others have been bugging Darthatron about his decision. Hopefully, he will finally be able to make his choice soon. At least we know it will be completely thought out!

While we are waiting, I have a small suggestion: how about everyone who wants to work on the hack provides proof of work and ability here. One post limit, so that when the heads are picked, they can just come here and get a good idea of what we are working with for ability.

Paired with Simba
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
So, I just thought about this now, it's like 3 am here, but whatever :p. What if we brought back all of the old apricot pokeballs from gen II, like the heavy ball and such? In my opinion, it makes catching pokemon have that much more stategy behind it. Just an idea.
I definitely liked that feature but in the same time hated how Game Freak implemented it: The old guy takes a whole 24 hours to make ONE SINGLE Pokéball... -__-''' + The bag was very limited so items with limited use such as Apricorns end up in the PC (which was ITSELF limited -__-') ...

TL;DR: The Apricorns feature was very cool but toublesome.
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:40 AM
barofan
Heterosexual Hipster

Nature: Adamant
If we can still sign in applications, I shall sign mine in.
I will get this straight right now, I have no past experience, although I've played plenty of hacks. My English is near perfect in terms of grammar, but also vocabulary. I'm creative and know enough to make hidden references, and I'm always online. Always. Online. I'm not expecting to be the head of anything. If I were to choose a field, it would certainly be Story Development, I can come up with a good story, or probably help with that, as an apprentice. Is this an adequate application or am I too late and do I look a bit like an idiot?
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:52 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
I would like to prove my scripting ability and I guess I should share my proof.

Well, here are 4 videos of scripts I have made. I didn't include the scripts because many videos had multiple scripts in them, and I just don't have the time right now to find all of them. I would also like to apologize for the speed of the text. When I recorded these, VBA decided it wanted to run at 50% in fullscreen, so I didn't have an accurate judge of the timing. Lastly, I know there are several spelling and grammar mistakes. Anyone who knows me well knows that almost every post I make has been edited for gammer, so for all of you bad-gammerphobes, I am sorry.:p

Just a little background info on the circumstances of these videos. These come from a small hack I made for my friends in which there is a post-game story where Team Magma and Team Aqua have teamed up after their failures to catch Groudon and Kyogre. There are also several more side quests and stuff, but it is riddled with inside jokes that wouldn't make any sense to most of you, so I never plan on releasing it.

Ability to change the clock anytime you want!
Spoiler:

A guy who rewards you for showing him a Rayquaza:
Part 1: Right at the beginning of the game.
Spoiler:

Part 2: At the end once you have a Rayquaza.
Spoiler:

(The reason the broken image of Bulbasaur is in there, is because of a glitch in the game where the first Lz image presented after the title screen is shown without a proper palette, unless you open Birch's bag first. I eliminated Birch's bag in order to create a script which gives you a shiny starter, and this whole thing was a clever way of fixing that problem.:D No joke, without the problem, this guy who rewards for a Rayquaza would not exist.)

A Quest for A Riolu Egg:

So, basically, a guy named Prof. Surewood has learned from studying old legends, that the only place Riolu live is a remote mountain called Mt. Aura. He wants you to go and find an egg and bring it back. This video picks up after your long arduous journey right before you find the eggs.

Spoiler:

All of these scripts were written over 2 months ago. My abilities have grown since then, but these do show how well I can script.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; March 7th, 2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Videos: Spoilered.
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:17 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Hey, karatekid, could you please spoiler those vids? They make the thread bloated and could be murder on some users' internet.

Hm...proof of work, huh? As I said in my sign-up, I don't really have any hacks that I consider current in terms of ability, and other than my game ideas and my roleplay characters, I don't have much in the way of proof....
...though, there is a hack idea that I've had on the backburner for years, and I think is rather capable and complex. It's not developed completely yet, and I have to revise it, as I feel that it could only get better that way, but it's something.
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
Well, if I end up writing the music, I have plenty of proof for that...

As far as scripting goes, I've done a few that are decent. I won't post them unless asked, but basically one charges money for the pokecenter, one randomizes starters each time you play through, and I've done the edit/create pretty standard events too.

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old March 9th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Pinkish Purple
五代目水影

I'm a bit late, but oh well...

Position (multiple if necessary): Depends on what you want
Proof of Ability (if applicable):http://pinkishdeviant.deviantart.com/gallery/
Comments (if applicable): I don't know what I am best at, but feel free to browse through that gallery from Deviantart. They are all done by yours truly, and I can take up to 2 positions at once
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:11 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
So I have finally made a vid about the script I made earlier. Though there is no audio.

Spoiler:

Just like a normal Pokemon event where the evil team tries to get/steal the Pokemon of the good people. LOL.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:49 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Darthatron is never coming back.
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:29 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
What?! That can't be true. :(
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
What?! That can't be true.
It's not true.

I will post a detailed post on the weekend with who will be leading the sections.
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:21 AM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post

It's not true.

I will post a detailed post on the weekend with who will be leading the sections.
That's good! Will we start devising ideas at that point then?
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:36 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Quote:
Darthatron returns, all according to plan ;D
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:42 AM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Nature: Jolly
If it's not too late, I'd like to be a part of this as well.

Position: Mapping, note taking if you want
Proof of Ability: I'll just attach them. The first is a test map I did long ago, the second is a flooded forest.
Comments (if applicable): I'm an experienced Advance Map user, so as long as I have an idea or a description of some sort, I can map it. (You'll have to have someone else do the title editing though) Not much else to say except that I'd love to be a part of this.

I can also keep track of notes for anything you want to remember if you want: plans, characters, settings, etc. I may not be the best note-taker, but I can still be organized.
Attached Images
File Type: png Test Map.png‎ (23.1 KB, 9 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png Flooded Forest.png‎ (80.5 KB, 12 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*

Last edited by U.Flame; March 13th, 2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: problem with pics
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Hello all!

*drum roll*

Here are my decisions for sectional leaders for The Community Hack:

Head of Story Development
Spoiler:
This was by far the most difficult to choose a single leader for since all 3 applicants were absolutely amazing in their own ways. As such, I was hoping we can have all three of them working together at all stages as equals. This means that this position will be a little different to the others.

I've already spoken to Pink Parka Girl and Bela, and they are happy with this concept. So, if machomuu also agrees, then this will be done. Otherwise I will be more than happy to just pick one of you. Though I do think this is the best option.

The basic idea is that a majority (so two) of the three of you need to agree on an aspect of the story. If at any point, one of you feels that something is not fair, I will step in and sort it out.

I'm sure that the three of you will be able to flesh out and amazing story with characters that the players will be able to relate to!

Head of Scripting
Spoiler:
This was a very close battle between all of the applicants. However, hinkage has to win this one because of the diversity of his application. Congratulations, hinkage!

The only problem I had was readability. Since we are working as a huge team, we are going to need to be able to understand the scripts more easily.

All the other applicants are clearly also skilled in scripting, but simply didn't give anywhere near as many proofs as you did.

NarutoActor, tajaros, karatekid552 and Noossab Blue: I'm sure hinkage would love your help with the best ways of getting scripts done.

Head of Mapping
Spoiler:
This section had the most applicants by far and it wasn't an easy choice. Sadly doing what I have done for Story Development wouldn't work so much for mapping, so I had to pick one person. This person was not only picked for their amazing mapping skill, but also the fact that I know they can lead.

So congratulations, DrFuji!

[1] [2] [3]

Of course I don't expect DrFuji to just map out everything we need by himself. I simply feel that he should have some kind of quality control over the maps provided by other members of the team.

Head of Graphics
Spoiler:
Yet another hard choice. I was told by several people throughout my decision time that I should split this up in to categories. I have to disagree. One again, this is not something that can be handled in such a sense. The idea is that this person will be leading the Graphical choices, not that they will be designing everything themselves.

That said, I have chosen Anbuja's_BlooDY to lead this. Look through their Deviant Art gallery, I have decided that their style is the most appeasing to my eyes.

[1] [2] [3]

That said, however: I can not deny 11bayerf1's and Fireworks' amazing talent.

The background in the battles in these pictures are fantastic. Though I'm not sure if Fireworks is to thank for them? The main reason you were not picked was because there didn't seem to be much diversity in your Deviant Art gallery.

Sadly diversity was also the reason that 11bayerf1 was not picked. The sprites in your Deviant Art gallery are all spectacular! However, the consistency of detail in some of them is underwhelming. The detail in the second sprite in your Fakemon Pokedex is amazing, but a pretty large minority of the rest of the sprites are severely lacking the same "oomph".

Head of Programming
Spoiler:
We may have only had one applicant for this position, but I think that if somebody else had of applied the result would have been the same.

Congratulations, shiny quagsire!

Your entire application was amazing. Plus all the things we've spoken about in the numerous chats we've had, you clearly know what you are doing.

Head of Music
Spoiler:
Once again only one serious application. And once again an amazing application!

Your application was amazing, Noossab Blue. Congratulations!

Your compositions are spectacular. I especially love "Desert Symphony". I can't wait to see what we can come up with for this hack!

Sorry it took so long. I've been busy with work and such, but mainly it was difficult to pick the leaders since the applications were all so good.

If anyone has questions about my choices or anything, just ask.

Your comments are welcome!

Regards,
Darthatron.
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:12 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Hello all!

*drum roll*

Spoiler:
This was by far the most difficult to choose a single leader for since all 3 applicants were absolutely amazing in their own ways. As such, I was hoping we can have all three of them working together at all stages as equals. This means that this position will be a little different to the others.

I've already spoken to Pink Parka Girl and Bela, and they are happy with this concept. So, if machomuu also agrees, then this will be done. Otherwise I will be more than happy to just pick one of you. Though I do think this is the best option.

The basic idea is that a majority (so two) of the three of you need to agree on an aspect of the story. If at any point, one of you feels that something is not fair, I will step in and sort it out.

I'm sure that the three of you will be able to flesh out and amazing story with characters that the players will be able to relate to!

Head of Scripting
Spoiler:
This was a very close battle between all of the applicants. However, hinkage has to win this one because of the diversity of his application. Congratulations, hinkage!

The only problem I had was readability. Since we are working as a huge team, we are going to need to be able to understand the scripts more easily.

All the other applicants are clearly also skilled in scripting, but simply didn't give anywhere near as many proofs as you did.

NarutoActor, tajaros, karatekid552 and Noossab Blue: I'm sure hinkage would love your help with the best ways of getting scripts done.

Head of Mapping
Spoiler:
This section had the most applicants by far and it wasn't an easy choice. Sadly doing what I have done for Story Development wouldn't work so much for mapping, so I had to pick one person. This person was not only picked for their amazing mapping skill, but also the fact that I know they can lead.

[1] [2] [3]

Of course I don't expect DrFuji to just map out everything we need by himself. I simply feel that he should have some kind of quality control over the maps provided by other members of the team.

Head of Graphics
Spoiler:
Yet another hard choice. I was told by several people throughout my decision time that I should split this up in to categories. I have to disagree. One again, this is not something that can be handled in such a sense. The idea is that this person will be leading the Graphical choices, not that they will be designing everything themselves.

That said, I have chosen Anbuja's_BlooDY to lead this. Look through their Deviant Art gallery, I have decided that their style is the most appeasing to my eyes.

[1] [2] [3]

The background in the battles in these pictures are fantastic. Though I'm not sure if Fireworks is to thank for them? The main reason you were not picked was because there didn't seem to be much diversity in your Deviant Art gallery.

Sadly diversity was also the reason that 11bayerf1 was not picked. The sprites in your Deviant Art gallery are all spectacular! However, the consistency of detail in some of them is underwhelming. The detail in the second sprite in your Fakemon Pokedex is amazing, but a pretty large minority of the rest of the sprites are severely lacking the same "oomph".

Head of Programming
Spoiler:
We may have only had one applicant for this position, but I think that if somebody else had of applied the result would have been the same.

Your entire application was amazing. Plus all the things we've spoken about in the numerous chats we've had, you clearly know what you are doing.

Head of Music
Spoiler:

Your compositions are spectacular. I especially love "Desert Symphony". I can't wait to see what we can come up with for this hack!

Sorry it took so long. I've been busy with work and such, but mainly it was difficult to pick the leaders since the applications were all so good.

Regards,
Darthatron.
Congratulations to everyone that's been picked!

I just have a few questions. Even though I am not leading, am I still allowed to contribute sprites? How will it work in that regard? Would Anbuja have his own thread, wherein we can contribute our sprites?

And just as a disclaimer, the consistency issue should not be as prominent now, as those sprites are three years old, so I'd like to believe I've improved in that regard XD. That being said, working under someone is probably better, as the better parts of my work can be selected and if certain sprites aren't up to snuff, I can easily improve them.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this! I look forward to seeing it progress.
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:35 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Hello all!

*drum roll*

Spoiler:

Head of Scripting
Spoiler:

Head of Mapping
Spoiler:

[1] [2] [3]

Head of Graphics
Spoiler:

[1] [2] [3]

Head of Programming
Spoiler:

Head of Music
Spoiler:

Regards,
Darthatron.
Congradulations to everyone!!!!!

I knew since it took so long that all of the choices would be good:p! Awesome job getting this done, everything looks really sharp. Let's get going!!!

Paired with Simba
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Yay, a step forward is made, good luck guys! :]
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:49 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

I'll definitely agree to be Co-Head of Story Development; I'd be thrilled to work with Bela and Pink Parka Girl :D
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:55 AM
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Ah excellent, hopefully we'll be able to start making some good initial progress in the upcoming days.

I'm very excited to be selected as Head of Mapping and hope to work well with everybody :3c
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bayerf1 View Post
Congratulations to everyone that's been picked!

I just have a few questions. Even though I am not leading, am I still allowed to contribute sprites? How will it work in that regard? Would Anbuja have his own thread, wherein we can contribute our sprites?
Of course you can still contribute. I'm not sure how Anbuja will want to handle it, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bayerf1 View Post
And just as a disclaimer, the consistency issue should not be as prominent now, as those sprites are three years old, so I'd like to believe I've improved in that regard XD. That being said, working under someone is probably better, as the better parts of my work can be selected and if certain sprites aren't up to snuff, I can easily improve them.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this! I look forward to seeing it progress.
That's a very good attitude to have!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Congradulations to everyone!!!!!

I knew since it took so long that all of the choices would be good:p! Awesome job getting this done, everything looks really sharp. Let's get going!!!
Thanks. Now it's time to start thinking of a story I suppose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
I'll definitely agree to be Co-Head of Story Development; I'd be thrilled to work with Bela and Pink Parka Girl :D
Alright awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
Ah excellent, hopefully we'll be able to start making some good initial progress in the upcoming days.

I'm very excited to be selected as Head of Mapping and hope to work well with everybody
Can't wait to see what'll come out of it!
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:01 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

This... is starting to look REALLY interesting!
I think you made good choices for the leader positions and it's nice to see everyone who's been accepted to those, knows his/her stuff.

The hack could turn out really good, rushing things and getting straight to mapping the starting areas is not an option though (but everybody knows that). In any case, good luck to the process!

By the way, it would be a good idea if shiny quaqsire also contributed to the scripting processes. Coding with the machine language and scripting engine go hand in hand after all. I've no doubt hinkage or karatekid couldn't do most of the job but still, there will always be things that you wouldn't think of doing without having the knowledge behind their implementation first (and I'm totally saying this of experience here). But, this is totally his choice of course.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:10 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Ohhh niiiice lol, tbh I didn't expect this decision really.
But I'm still happy and thankfull for the trust you guys are putting to me right now :>

I do hope like DrFuji that we can be able to get some tiny pregress at least the incoming days.

But for that I think we need to have a plan on how were working on this with steps. So we do know what when todo.

@11bayerfl1
Tbh I do like privacy, but that might be just me.
If you guys want me to make a seperate thread I'll do that.
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:13 AM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
Ohhh niiiice lol, tbh I didn't expect this decision really.
But I'm still happy and thankfull for the trust you guys are putting to me right now :>

I do hope like DrFuji that we can be able to get some tiny pregress at least the incoming days.

But for that I think we need to have a plan on how were working on this with steps. So we do know what when todo.

@11bayerfl1
Tbh I do like privacy, but that might be just me.
If you guys want me to make a seperate thread I'll do that.
Oh that was just a suggestion I made because I wasn't sure how it would pan out. If you prefer privacy that's no problem! I agree completely. If you want me to do any sprites at all should I PM them to you then? Either way maybe you could just send me a PM or something with the details once they're more sorted!

Congratulations by the way! I really like your reposes. I think the candle trio is especially good.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:02 AM
U.Flame
Brony Hacker

Congrats people! Everyone picked is awesome on their own so I can't wait to see what they can accomplish together! Yay!

Yay my username is accurate now! Also holy crap I just realized Unbeatable was misspelled for the longest time! Fixed. xp

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Quick Reply