< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Main Series Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation Black 2White 2 Challenge Mode and Easy Mode

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Reply Post Reply
Old February 26th, 2013 (1:56 AM).
n e o n
Crystal Tier
Nature: Quirky
For many years, people always wished for Pokemon games to have varying difficulty, fast-forward to 2012 and they get their wish with Black 2 and White 2's Challenge and Easy Modes, which increases or lowers the difficulty of the Trainers, such as levels and the AI. In Challenge Mode, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four (along with Iris) had either an extra Pokemon on their team or changed another.

To get Challenge Mode and Easy Mode, you basically have to beat the main story in Black 2 for Challenge Mode, or White 2 for Easy Mode, but if you have a second DS or a friend playing the games you can trade the key to the opposite version and play it there, which is the only way to get Challenge Mode on White 2 or Easy Mode on Black 2.

So, what were your thoughts on Challenge/Easy Mode? Did you feel annoyed the keys can only be traded by infrared and not wi-fi? Did you play your game in Challenge/Easy Mode or not? Discuss!
Old March 7th, 2013 (7:24 AM).
☆ a sky full of stars
Crystal TierEO
I didn't use the keys at all, mainly because I didn't have two DS's til like a month ago. ;( I find them kind of pointless and hard mode I wouldn't enjoy because while it's more competitive it'd be just way too hard for me to breed everythinggg ;_;
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old March 7th, 2013 (10:28 AM).
Nature: Serious
I only use Challenge Mode. More experience
Old March 7th, 2013 (11:15 AM).
Nature: Modest
I liked challenge mode because it made the game more difficult and enjoyable. I never tried easy mode.
Old March 19th, 2013 (5:36 AM).
Nature: Docile
I'm rather annoyed that I cannot get all the keys in my one game. I don't know anyone with White 2 and I don't really want to have to buy it and play through the same game just to get the keys.
The keys were a part of the decision on what game I wanted to buy.

As soon as I got challenge mode I turned it and just left it that way, I really enjoy the extra challenge.
“You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 19th, 2013 (6:06 AM).
Location: It's where the sun rises, but it's smaller than Japan.
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to Student D1
I have not tried either of the modes in the game, though if I were able to get both keys, I'd rather turn on the Challenge Mode, since I wanted to add difficulty in battles, making them more fun and hard in my opinion.

I'm planning to get Black 2 once I'm done with White 2.

Profile | PM | Intro Thread | PokéSpe | White 2 FC
Old March 19th, 2013 (6:54 AM).
Crystal Tier
Nature: Timid
I have my DS and 3DS now, but I don't have Black 2 and don't know anybody with it that's in the country, either. I wish that both modes were just available in both games, though- not just because of the key-trading thing, but because I don't have much interest in Easy Mode.
I'd want to use Challenge Mode for a relatively more effective way to level up Pokémon. Having said that, the post-game's League is significantly tougher than it is the first time around. So, as much as I wish I had Challenge Mode, using Easy Mode to actually level up past the League a couple times isn't too bad.

I'm working on an album of Pokémon-inspired music. Check out the Soundcloud link if you're interested!

This is my Soundcloud | | This is my bandcamp
Old March 19th, 2013 (8:56 AM).
Gold Tier
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I have never had the chance to test the keys out, but i think i'd use play challenge mode, if any. I guess easy mode can be nice for kids or people who just got into pokemon and need to figure out the gameplay. I really don't think B2/W2 were hard enough to need played on an easy mode...

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 19th, 2013 (7:46 PM).
k r e s n i k
Super ModeratorCSEO
Nature: Timid
I am so happy they did this, however I still haven't used it. I haven't beaten my English B2W2 games even once, yet I've beaten my Japanese B2 twice, and just started it over about an hour ago. So because I can't read it, I haven't sent over the key for challenge mode to my other games lol. :( Maybe I will once I beat my English B2 (I'm in Victory Road! ...But I've said that for months now lol)

I do think it sucks the keys disappear when you restart the game though...that's disappointing for those that don't have other copies of the game or the opposite game, or have no one around them with the games to send them the key, like Gira mentioned. I kinda wish the options weren't unlockable features, but hey, actually putting them in the game is a step in the right direction.
affinity with jude increased!
[ trade ] [ challenges ] [ avatar ] [ vgm ] [ ]
Old March 19th, 2013 (9:37 PM).
Nature: Careful
I think the Challenge/Easy Mode keys were a good idea in principle, but could've been executed in a much better fashion. I get that they're trying to promote trading back and forth with your friends, but most other games give you the option of an Easy/Normal/Hard Mode before you start, rather than making it a hassle to unlock.

With all that said, I never did get a chance to play on any difficulty other than the original. I would've liked to have gone through my first run on Challenge Mode, rather than breezing through the game like I had with many of the previous installments.
Old March 20th, 2013 (2:56 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier
Nature: Calm
I haven't used Challenge/Easy mode keys... I did use Regi-unlocking keys but the difficulty keys not as it wouldn't have much meaning as the best enjoyment would be going the main story with increased difficulty, not just post-game.
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack. |

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links