Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Help Thread General Questions & Answers Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central

View Poll Results:

Have you ever found a shiny?

Yes

19 73.08%

No

5 19.23%

Yes, but I lost it!

2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 20th, 2013 (9:21 AM).
POKEMANZZZ

Nature: Brave

Quote originally posted by BessieDono:
hi. i've been wondering...
is it possible to trade/move pokemons from mystery dungeon games to main series games?

No, mystery dungeon games are not a part of the main series and there are no special events to trade any of them over to a certain version

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 20th, 2013 (12:12 PM).

Hello all! I stumbled onto this forum through a web search, and I'm hoping you lovely people can help me with a serious question I have about Pokemon:

Where do I start?

I have literally never played a Pokemon game before, but I want to get into the world. Which game should I start with? I own or have access to several generations of systems, so no (or very few) limitations there, but I'm a little overwhelmed with where to start. Do the games run in any sort of chronological order, or is it kind of the same game rehashed with new Pokemon and a slightly different story-line each time?

I'm honestly feeling a little overwhelmed with where to dive into the "pool" of the Pokemon universe. Any help or thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old March 20th, 2013 (12:53 PM).

I would say the best place to start would be Generation 3. There isn't really necessary chronological order, but the games tend to cycle between main new region and add-on type games. Gen 3 presents you with a new region that plays much more closely to the current generation (5) than the original games and has the first introduction to real end-game content. I would definitely recommend playing all 5 generations to familiarize yourself with all of the pokemon, though. Really, starting anywhere is going to be fun, though, it's mainly about preference of generations, and gameplay isn't really hard until 3rd gen endgame content and competitive battling, so you should be able to reasonably play through the main campaigns of all the games within a couple of months.

Old March 20th, 2013 (1:52 PM).

Nature: Quiet

Pokemon battle revolution Q.
I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread but I don't know where else to ask?

I have some hacked legendaries on pearl and am wondering if I will be able to use them on Pokemon Battle Revolution?
The stats/abilities/moves are not hacked, just their shininess and the location (necrene museum).
I'm not planning on using wi-fi battles with them.

Old March 20th, 2013 (3:09 PM).

Nature: Relaxed

Like the person above I would say Gen 3, but I am not sure. Depends on you.
Here.

1. If you want to play game with great/moder graphic, start with Gen 3(Emerald) or Gen 4(Platinum)

2. If you are fine old graphic, I suggest Gen 1 (Yellow, Blue, Red) or Gen 2 (Crystal)

However

3. If you want to play Pokemon just for it, catching Pokemon and finishing the game, then go with Gen 3/4.

4. If you, however, want to get that special "feel" about Pokemon, and fully enjoy and learn abut Pokemon, then I strongly advise you to start with Gen 1, then Gen2, 3 4 etc.

If you take up the gen 3 first, you are most likely going to find gen 1 and 2 outdated, slow and boring. Not because it really is, but because new generations are so uch ahead of it.

I am personally going to start whole main game from start, from 1 to...the end. With few pauses during which I will play some spinoff games.

And also. You might want to consider what kind of game you want. Game where you catch Pokemon, or where you just befriend them for mission (Pokemon ranger) or where you are an actual Pokemon (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series)
It would the best for you to check the list of Pokemon games, and their gameplays.

Anyway, welcome to Pokemon world, world where effing Zubats and Tentacools fun never ends! :D

Old March 20th, 2013 (3:35 PM).

I'd say Gen 1 but its all up to you.

Old March 20th, 2013 (4:07 PM).

ModeratorCS

Nature: Jolly

As the above poster said, it really is up to you on how you want to start and where! :D Each generation has a different storyline but the gist of the games are each the same regardless of Generation. From getting your starter, to battling a rival, to battling with a villainous team, to getting gym badges, to taking on the Elite Four/league champion, most (if not, all) generations follow that general pattern.

Old March 20th, 2013 (9:30 PM).

i'm in your conscience

Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid

I think it will still let you use them, since I'm pretty sure it doesn't hack check. I remember people would use hacks in the wifi battles back when the game was popular, so yeah. You should be fine.

Old March 21st, 2013 (11:02 AM).

i'm in your conscience

Super ModeratorCS

I personally think it's always good to start in the order that the games came out, but that's just me. If you choose to do it that way, you might not like it since that would mean starting in gen I and a lot of people don't like those games anymore since they're outclasses in many aspects in the current generation. If you don't mind the "blast from the past" type of feel and you want to start with the original games and a more authentic feel, imo anyway, then start with either Red, Blue, or Yellow.

If you're totally new to the series and want a great beginner type of game, FireRed and LeafGreen is the way to go. They're remakes of the original Red and Green, but they're for the Game Boy Advance, so the graphics are much better, the music has been updated, as well as many other things. The game has lots of mandatory and optional tutorials which is good for new players. A problem with getting GBA games is that a lot of them bought online end up being fake, so that's something to watch out for. If ever you choose to purchase a GBA game of any kind online, feel free to come back to this thread and post pictures of the game that's provided by the seller so that we can possibly help you verify authenticity.

I'm gonna stop for now cause I don't wanna overload you lol. :(

Old March 25th, 2013 (4:27 PM).

Hey guys I've been soft resetting for hours a day and still no shiny snorlax just want to know if anybody has the same experience before.

Old March 25th, 2013 (4:48 PM).
Indigo Child

No, it's random dude. It could take 5 minutes it could take 2 weeks. There's no easy way around it unless you use cheats.

Fire tracks ^
Old March 25th, 2013 (5:23 PM).

Than I think I just got lucky with my shiny ho oh than. I soft reset for him and I got him in 4 days. It's my 4th day soft resetting for shiny snorlax and still no luck

Old March 25th, 2013 (6:15 PM).

Atra du evarinya ono varda.

Crystal Tier

SRing for a shiny is trying your chance in that 1/8192 shiny encounter rate to hit that lucky 1. It might take a few minutes to even months, from 5 SRs to thousands. My friend got his on his 70+ try. You have to have iron patience if you wish to use this method without cheating. I have tried SRing for a shiny starter once before but I have yet to get my shiny Totodile. It really saps ones' patience, but f you really want it, persevere! If you fail, try and try again. Never Give Up! (Y)

Old March 25th, 2013 (6:24 PM).

Is shiny ho oh rare as well cause snorlax seems to be really hard to get

Old March 25th, 2013 (6:34 PM).
Indigo Child

Yes, all shiny's have a 1/8192 chance. Whether it be Eevee from Bill, Suicune, Ho-Oh, Snorlax, Lugia, Articuno, etc. It takes patience and lot's of it, getting a shiny is luck and nothing but luck. As I said, there's no easy way to get a shiny just a lot of patience and frustration. That's why I don't do it.

Fire tracks ^
Old March 25th, 2013 (6:40 PM).

It gets really tiring lol I've been at it for 7 hours and still no luck

Old March 25th, 2013 (8:39 PM).

Slow Thursday

Crystal Tier

Have you tried RNGing? It'll help you out with timing and whatnot to get your shiny. I personally have never tried it but others have and it seems to work.

Here is a link to the thread on this site

Old March 26th, 2013 (4:52 AM).

What is RNGing I've heard that word before but don't know what it means

Old March 26th, 2013 (5:35 AM).

Hi i was wondering how to accept more than one mission request at once. i seem to only be able to accept one. help please!

Old March 26th, 2013 (6:14 AM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri

I don't think you can accept more than one this time. I think for this game its one at a time only.

Old March 26th, 2013 (10:18 AM).

well thatsucks... Thanks though :-)

Old March 26th, 2013 (5:30 PM).

i'm in your conscience

Super ModeratorCS

Here's an RNG guide, however it's for generation V. But if you're gonna RNG at all, I highly recommend gen V over III. Gen III is the hardest to RNG in, plus you're clearly using FRLG to SR for that Snorlax, and RNG isn't possible in FRLG from what I understand. But yeah, if you choose to pursue RNGing, please use the thread I linked you to if you have questions about it. You'd get much better help asking there than in here again.

Also going to merge this with the Q&A thread.

Old March 26th, 2013 (6:25 PM).

Slow Thursday

Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Sydian:
Here's an RNG guide, however it's for generation V. But if you're gonna RNG at all, I highly recommend gen V over III. Gen III is the hardest to RNG in, plus you're clearly using FRLG to SR for that Snorlax, and RNG isn't possible in FRLG from what I understand. But yeah, if you choose to pursue RNGing, please use the thread I linked you to if you have questions about it. You'd get much better help asking there than in here again.

Also going to merge this with the Q&A thread.

Just a quick googling led me to these results from smogon. As far as I can tell, only certain pokemon can be RNGed and luckily, snorlax is one of them. Gotta say though, use with caution cause you will probably get VERY annoyed trying it (if you're anything like me lol). Just try to read up on it before you try anything.

Old March 26th, 2013 (7:04 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri

Quote originally posted by joshbl56:
Just a quick googling led me to these results from smogon. As far as I can tell, only certain pokemon can be RNGed and luckily, snorlax is one of them. Gotta say though, use with caution cause you will probably get VERY annoyed trying it (if you're anything like me lol). Just try to read up on it before you try anything.

actually unless they are locked like Reshiram and Zekrom, all Pokemon can be RNG'd. While you cannot RNG for shiny factor, you can still RNG Reshiram and Zekrom for certain natures and IVs.

Old March 26th, 2013 (7:06 PM).

My life would suck without you

Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7

Quote originally posted by joshbl56:

You can RNG any Pokémon. Snorlax is one of the few that are stationary encounters.

Sponsored Links