The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 21st, 2013 (10:07 AM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyToby View Post
What is "removing flags" and how would I go about doing that? Im currently stuck and I would rather not waste 10+ hours of gameplay because I made a dumb mistake and didnt look up the current version. Thanks for your help thus far.
TBH, I don't have the tools for that, but I do see in AM where the sprites would be set to appear. Somewhere in the Gym sprite settings with the right tool is a restriction to only appear when the Leader has already returned to the Gym, and for Rayner to appear at the Power Plant only when you can legitimately head in that direction (the Icestorm cave blockage is there until you defeat the Gym).

Now that I'm thinking about it, it makes me wonder if anything was missed on the way to Serenity City...but I don't think anything CAN be missed. You have to do Groment Mines to unlock that Gym, complete that Gym to be able to Surf, and then along Route 412 you go. Provided you didn't use a walk through walls or something, you can't end up in that scenario with the Leader missing from the Power Plant.

However, since Electivire is having level bugs in your copy, you need to replace it with the current copy and try that. Not only will Electivire work, but perhaps the Leader will show up. If I can learn how to remove the flag blocking his appearance (which would require more tools, not something I have time for today), I can set him to appear all the time until spoken to, then he's gone again as before once the Gym is unlocked. However, I'd have to use a copy (or back up the original) because I don't want to do something like that to the main game file I'm working on, which doesn't have this bug.

One more thought. Are you using Save States? Save in-game and then reset the ROM and load it, see if that fixes it.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 21st, 2013 (11:07 AM). Edited March 21st, 2013 by ProdigyToby.
ProdigyToby
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
TBH, I don't have the tools for that, but I do see in AM where the sprites would be set to appear. Somewhere in the Gym sprite settings with the right tool is a restriction to only appear when the Leader has already returned to the Gym, and for Rayner to appear at the Power Plant only when you can legitimately head in that direction (the Icestorm cave blockage is there until you defeat the Gym).

Now that I'm thinking about it, it makes me wonder if anything was missed on the way to Serenity City...but I don't think anything CAN be missed. You have to do Groment Mines to unlock that Gym, complete that Gym to be able to Surf, and then along Route 412 you go. Provided you didn't use a walk through walls or something, you can't end up in that scenario with the Leader missing from the Power Plant.

However, since Electivire is having level bugs in your copy, you need to replace it with the current copy and try that. Not only will Electivire work, but perhaps the Leader will show up. If I can learn how to remove the flag blocking his appearance (which would require more tools, not something I have time for today), I can set him to appear all the time until spoken to, then he's gone again as before once the Gym is unlocked. However, I'd have to use a copy (or back up the original) because I don't want to do something like that to the main game file I'm working on, which doesn't have this bug.

One more thought. Are you using Save States? Save in-game and then reset the ROM and load it, see if that fixes it.

Cyclone
So I need to get a fresh copy of the rom correct, then apply the patch? Or can I just patch over more current light platinum rom?

Edit: Okay I applied the patch over it and loaded it up and what do you know, hes standing there now, now I guess I can go get my electivire too. This is great thanks for your help.
Old March 21st, 2013 (02:23 PM).
Ajduk

Ok, I rly want to hack this game

So tell me can this be done:

I got to the world championship and finished it in the first run. It was dissapointing, to say the least. I was hoping for a bigger challenge :/

So now what I want to do is make an event of my own.

I want to:
-Put several srsly strong trainers in the game(stronger than Ash)
-Make it so that I can fight them over and over like in the World Championship
-Make a location where the fights will take place(like the world championship arena).

Can this be done(at least the first two) and which tutorials should I look up?
Old March 21st, 2013 (02:57 PM).
NeoSpeedFreak

Nature: Jolly
How I can get unstuck from the 3rd gym?
Old March 21st, 2013 (04:38 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Adjuk, you're better off making your own hack of a game if you want to do something like that. I'm generally only making fixes or adding Pokémon that are missing (see Froslass), not adding whole creative content to the game.

I am making a possible exception for the missing Route 503 and possibly adding it connected to a new area with starters. Not decided on that yet. But otherwise, it's not my game, so I'm not going to habitually apply new creative content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSpeedFreak View Post
How I can get unstuck from the 3rd gym?
You saved in the Gym before completing it, then reloaded, and now can't get out, correct?

Two (maybe three) options:

1. Start over.
2. Use a Gameshark code (Ruby set) for walking through walls, which is easy enough to apply.
3. (Untested) Finish defeating the Leader, save, and see if the Gym unblocks.

In the future this will be fixed somehow so that you can't get stuck, or have an express path out in case of problems. Right now, we have to deal with it.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 21st, 2013 (05:11 PM).
muddymudkippers
Unhatched Egg

does anyone know how to evolve pokemon that usually require trading such as kadabra?
Old March 21st, 2013 (06:55 PM). Edited March 21st, 2013 by Cyclone.
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddymudkippers View Post
does anyone know how to evolve pokemon that usually require trading such as kadabra?
By trading. Seriously. In-game NPCs will trade, for instance, a Poliwhirl holding a King's Rock, which then evolves to Politoed. Scizor and Gengar also come to mind as other evolutions.

I hope to eventually have a full list in my walkthrough. While I plan to refer to each at the time it's available, a separate list would be handy as well.

Cyclone

Old March 21st, 2013 (08:09 PM).
ProdigyToby
Unhatched Egg

IS red only supposed to have like 2-3 pokemon in these random encounters with him or is that also a bug?
Old March 21st, 2013 (10:11 PM).
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyToby View Post
IS red only supposed to have like 2-3 pokemon in these random encounters with him or is that also a bug?
No, it is not a bug. Wesley by means implemented his team like that. But their number as well as level increases when you Random encounter him in the hack
Old March 22nd, 2013 (04:10 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajduk View Post
Ok, I rly want to hack this game

So tell me can this be done:

I got to the world championship and finished it in the first run. It was dissapointing, to say the least. I was hoping for a bigger challenge :/

So now what I want to do is make an event of my own.

I want to:
-Put several srsly strong trainers in the game(stronger than Ash)
-Make it so that I can fight them over and over like in the World Championship
-Make a location where the fights will take place(like the world championship arena).

Can this be done(at least the first two) and which tutorials should I look up?
This is NOT your hack, you don't have the privilege to edit it.
I know it's for your personal amusement but it's too drastic to be allowed.
As Cyclone said, you can pretty much start your own hack and do everything you want there.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 22nd, 2013 (06:49 AM).
Ajduk

And I will do that
I have done some pokemon versions before 4th gen was out, using RPG makers.
How different can this be? :p

I have found tutorials, but none mention the programs for hacking :/
Old March 22nd, 2013 (09:08 AM). Edited March 22nd, 2013 by Cyclone.
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajduk View Post
And I will do that
I have done some pokemon versions before 4th gen was out, using RPG makers.
How different can this be? :p

I have found tutorials, but none mention the programs for hacking :/
Before you even do programs, you need to plan your story, the region, and a whole bunch of other stuff externally - like, on paper. Have everything documented that you want to do. This will not be a final design, but it's a good start.

(I've gone ahead and spoilered a chunk of what follows, and advise Ajduk to go to the proper forum to continue this discussion if needed.)

Spoiler:
Get a program like AdvanceMap and grab the ROM you want to edit (make sure you remember exactly which version of which game it is, as you will be required to communicate that to everyone who wants to play it instead of sharing the edited ROM itself, you only share an IPS file). Take those maps and draw new maps, and start learning how other things work. You'll need to redo map connections (you don't want your Route 1 northward replacement merged with a tree wall on the south end of another city), you'll need to set where players can move (so they don't climb on top of a rock or jump up an express route), and you'll have to set weather and music. You can change how tiles work in the included block editor (such as making a tile a form of ice, and you slide across without stopping, or setting to hide behind the tile like a house roof, etc.; this and movement permissions are the majority of the work I'm doing on Light Platinum, actually, as there are a lot of messy errors like this). There's a bunch more you can do there that I won't go into here as that's better for a ROM Hacking forum tutorial or Q&A.

I wouldn't start putting in trainers and everything until the time comes that you're done most of the maps. Some (many?) disagree and would build one map at a time the entire quest, but I think it's better to map out the entire game and have your plans on paper. At this point, you still have not shared the hack with anyone because you have no Pokémon, no Trainers, no story, and not even a choice of first partner. Once you have the entire region mapped, figure out where you're starting and set up the introduction area (remember all the maps for inside buildings and gatehouses everywhere, too!). Start numbering your Routes in whatever fashion you want (i.e. welcome to Route 5001), and they don't have to be sequential or even numbered (Sienna uses examples like Colt Pass, Sian Pass, etc., though I like numbering or lettering - such as Area B, Area U, etc. in another hack - better). Trainers are actually scripted through another tool which you can use at that time to start planning those and items, and signpost readings. At this point, you are beginning to build your story and getting to the point that you can start sharing your work (though if you want people stopped at a certain point, make sure to script an entire row of tiles stopping them from progressing and turning them around while still seeing the few tiles beyond the scripted stop).

And that's most of it. Figure out Gyms, figure out an E4, and make a good story that makes people want to play to the end.

To keep from being long-winded and continually off-topic, I will stop there. Back to your regularly scheduled hack thread. As for my walkthrough progress, I have taken a very brief break since beating the Snowce Gym, but I am returning to battle Routes 415 and 416 today. Steam HQ will likely be written during the evening (late evening as I have a hockey game to watch). That leaves me only Drakebreath City and other scripted activities before I can work on Victory Road and the Elite Four of Zhery.

Cyclone

Old March 23rd, 2013 (10:29 AM).
Dradier234

Nature: Careful
All hail Pokemon PLatinum! This hack is awesome! The game play and storyline are really attractive.
Old March 23rd, 2013 (01:35 PM).
Sleeping Snorlax
I'm blocking your path

Not sure if has been asked (sorry if I am re-asking). I just wanted to know if there is anyway to get the Hall of Fame screen that we usually get once we have beaten the Elite Four. Ive beaten both of the E4s and the screen just goes black. Will we be able to get this after the World Championships? I know its not that big of a deal I just like being able to do a screen capture of my team once Ive won

3DS FC: 2337 - 4943 - 3966 | SystemName: Jassi
Pokemon X IGN: Jassi
Friend Safari: Ghost | Lampent - Phantump - Dusclops

OMEGA RUBY!! HERE I COME | PLEASE DEAR SWEET ARCEUS HAVE MEGA-METAGROSS
Old March 23rd, 2013 (02:28 PM).
Anye
Unhatched Egg

In which place can I get the hm dive ?
Old March 23rd, 2013 (02:34 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anye View Post
In which place can I get the hm dive ?
Route 415. You have a battle with Solana first.

Cyclone

Old March 24th, 2013 (12:33 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Snorlax View Post
Not sure if has been asked (sorry if I am re-asking). I just wanted to know if there is anyway to get the Hall of Fame screen that we usually get once we have beaten the Elite Four. Ive beaten both of the E4s and the screen just goes black. Will we be able to get this after the World Championships? I know its not that big of a deal I just like being able to do a screen capture of my team once Ive won
It was probably removed for a reason...
Adding all that would require some scripting that might glitch up the continuation...

Old March 24th, 2013 (11:16 AM).
Anye
Unhatched Egg

Where do i have to go after capture ho oh
Old March 24th, 2013 (08:35 PM). Edited March 24th, 2013 by Cyclone.
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Is it just me, or do Lucario and Chatot both have horrible movepools? Lucario still hasn't learned any decent Fighting moves beyond Reversal (which itself works best near death), and Chatot's only Flying move is Mirror Move. I know these are both Gen. IV imports, but really...they don't have much to work with for being imported. I still have Quick Attack (all right, somewhat OK), Foresight (...?), and Counter (groan) on Lucario. Not liking the idea that I might be FORCED to use TMs, would rather use another Fighting type (Scrafty has a good movepool by comparison).

EDIT: FINALLY learned Cross Chop at Lv.49. Only 5 PP however. Man, Lucario is not easy to train in this hack.

Cyclone

Old March 24th, 2013 (10:12 PM).
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Snorlax View Post
You can capture the screen of your team by selecting them from the In game menu of Pokemon. You know when their stats are being shown. No, even after World Championships you cannot do the feature you are asking.
Old March 24th, 2013 (10:26 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Is it just me, or do Lucario and Chatot both have horrible movepools? Lucario still hasn't learned any decent Fighting moves beyond Reversal (which itself works best near death), and Chatot's only Flying move is Mirror Move. I know these are both Gen. IV imports, but really...they don't have much to work with for being imported. I still have Quick Attack (all right, somewhat OK), Foresight (...?), and Counter (groan) on Lucario. Not liking the idea that I might be FORCED to use TMs, would rather use another Fighting type (Scrafty has a good movepool by comparison).

EDIT: FINALLY learned Cross Chop at Lv.49. Only 5 PP however. Man, Lucario is not easy to train in this hack.

Cyclone
Lucario is perfect TM abuser =D He should go for Psychic, Shadow Ball, Ice Smash, Swords Dance which beside SD are TMs =D
His movepool was never that good anyways... Only Swords Dance works.
But yeah, there are people who change his movepool (like me) so we may do that...
Giving him elemental punches and Brick Break (Ice Smash) should improve his movepool a bit.

Old March 25th, 2013 (06:04 AM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Lucario's movepool is better in Gen. V - I actually find myself using him there without difficulty (don't think I used any TMs there either). Problem is he learns a lot of Gen. IV-V moves, and thus they're not in the hack. I'd say any import should be looked at for possible moves, and I might grab the tool to take a look at some that I'm curious about, myself (besides, I have to jot down evolution info for my walkthrough eventually).

Cyclone

Old March 27th, 2013 (10:41 PM).
xNirvashx
Unhatched Egg

Hey, I'm having some trouble here. I made it to Kosaka city after crossing the water and all of that, and I went to Sky Tower. It told me I wasn't allowed in, so I figured I'd have to talk to the gym leader. I went to the gym, Lucy exited, and said that she needed to do something at the Sky Tower because of bad men in white. I went back to the tower, and the guard is still sitting there telling me I can't go in. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? I'm playing on GPSphone, and if I can't finish this hack I'm going to be super upset because it's amazing. The last time this happened was on Shiny Gold and I could never finish it past the Aggron you get from the boat wreck.

Anyway, can anybody PLEASE help me?
Old March 28th, 2013 (12:52 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNirvashx View Post
Hey, I'm having some trouble here. I made it to Kosaka city after crossing the water and all of that, and I went to Sky Tower. It told me I wasn't allowed in, so I figured I'd have to talk to the gym leader. I went to the gym, Lucy exited, and said that she needed to do something at the Sky Tower because of bad men in white. I went back to the tower, and the guard is still sitting there telling me I can't go in. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? I'm playing on GPSphone, and if I can't finish this hack I'm going to be super upset because it's amazing. The last time this happened was on Shiny Gold and I could never finish it past the Aggron you get from the boat wreck.

Anyway, can anybody PLEASE help me?
Yeah, that guard sometimes bugs players... you'd better move him out of entrance by using Advanced Map or just use walk through walls to enter.

Old March 28th, 2013 (06:54 AM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Kosaka City? I'll see what happens when I get there. This will definitely need a walkthrough notation.

Cyclone

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links