The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Old Secret Bases thread!

So guys! I can definitely see that secret bases have certainly made a lasting appeal on all of us. Gen IV has brought back secret bases with The Underground, but perhaps it could be improved? In Gen III(if I'm correct), I believe you could build a secret base just about anywhere, so would you like to have that freedom again? Would you like secret bases in general to make a return, and what changes would you like being made if they did make a return?

Or...

Would you rather prefer a villa?

Introduced in Gen IV, players actually had their own house! You can customize it in multiple ways, and if you're lucky, depending on how nice your house was, you could get Gym leaders visiting, and if you're lucky enough, even the Champion Cynthia herself! So would you rather prefer this instead of secret bases?

Discuss!
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I honestly loved having the Villa in Platinum, and I thought it was a cool way to integrate Gym Leader rematches into the game. While Unova took the approach with the PWT, I'd love to see something like the Villa brought back again. Secret Bases in Hoenn didn't really appeal to me much, as I didn't link games with anyone, so I didn't have their characters ever in my base, plus designing a base just for the sake of doing it without having any sort of real effect didn't interest me that much.
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:39 PM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I like both (although I never played Platinum).

I would like secret bases to make a return like they were in Hoenn but I would prefer them to be made with an item so they don't waste a move slot and I'd like them to have more relevance to the game apart from just being fun, like maybe NPC's discover it or maybe something that can be done over wi-fi. Maybe incorporate hidden grottos?

The house is awesome post game and a good way of incorporating rematches, no complaints if it returns. Except I heard that you still don't go there after beating the E4/Champ. That should be changed.
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:51 PM
~Sam~
Unhatched Egg

I Like both but I preferred the secret bases in RSE better just because you could do more with them.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
I'd rather have a secret base again. Having a secret base seems more childish to me, and when I say childish, I mean it in a good way. Making a secret place to hang out and such is what kids do. I suppose youthful is a better word here haha. Having a house makes me feel like an adult having to pay bills. So obviously I want the more adventurous and nontraditional abode. :P

Quote:
I honestly loved having the Villa in Platinum, and I thought it was a cool way to integrate Gym Leader rematches into the game. While Unova took the approach with the PWT, I'd love to see something like the Villa brought back again.
You don't rematch in the villa though. :x You rematch gym leaders at Buck's Grandfather's cafe thing. I hope I didn't ruin the villa for you lol.

paired to peeta
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I prefer the House... I thought most of the Secret Base spots weren't so "secret" to begin with, so I made my base in far-to-reach places and forgot about them because they were hard to reach.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
You don't rematch in the villa though. :x You rematch gym leaders at Buck's Grandfather's cafe thing. I hope I didn't ruin the villa for you lol.
I knew something sounded off about that, it's been awhile since I've played through Platinum =P But it's a cause and effect thing, so it's still related at least and had an effect, whereas Secret Bases didn't really do anything. not ruined at all
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:15 PM
pokem0nprincess

Nature: Quirky
I would love the same concept of secret bases as is implemented in RSE, but with more features and more room. I like the comment above about youthfulness, I think that's important.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I thought the secret bases back in RSE were amazing and i would love to see them make a comeback!
They could make them more variable and larger, like not only in caves and trees, and the game should have a lot of secret base places. So, for example, if you trade or battle someone online, you would have the option to implement his secret base in your game, thus making it possible to challenge the person again. I thought they had some really cool furniture and decoration items in RSE, so they remake them all and create some new ones. I would love to build and decorate my own secret Base...in 3D!!

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
What kind of kid or teenager owns their own villa other than Justin Bieber?

If I had to choose between the two of them, I'd much prefer to have secret bases make a come back. I just found them more personal; giving you the choice of numerous locations to set up base as well as what type of base (i.e. shrub, tree, cave). Being on the 3DS and having Wi-Fi capability, I can see them even expanding on what you can do with your on secret base as compared to the limits we had in RSE.

I also think it would be kind of cool if you they had different Pokémon show up in your secret base as a daily event and when you interact with them you have one of two choices: shoo them away or battle / catch them.
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Keiran
Moshtradamus

Nature: Careful
I would prefer having a secret base. Secret bases had that sort of..whimsical feeling, and is more befitting of an adventuring trainer.

又 yltfos os kaeps and low 又
Wandering Allowed, Wondering Aloud
Old March 5th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
I also think it would be kind of cool if you they had different Pokémon show up in your secret base as a daily event and when you interact with them you have one of two choices: shoo them away or battle / catch them.
This sounds awesome!! Definitely should be done. and the pokemon that appear could vary depending on the area you set up your secret base, like in a desert, cave, forest...

Old March 5th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
For me personally, I'd go...with a villa!

Secret bases are nice and all to-relive that kid feeling, but the important part is having people who visit! Unfortunately, the only way you really could get anyone to visit your secret base was through local wireless instead of wifi(if they change this, then I would have no complaints). I'd rather have a Villa, because I just like the feeling of having your own house, even if it got thrown at you out of nowhere, really.

But at the same time, it is such a hard choice for me to make, because I grew up with secret bases, pretty much, and I see them as pretty fun, too~! n_n;
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
was through local wireless instead of wifi(if they change this, then I would have no complaints)
Im pretty sure they would change this, so that wi-fi connections would be enough for people to appear in their secret base in your game. Like the Join Venue, but with Secret Bases.

This just occured to me: If they plan on making a RSE Remake for the 3DS (which i hope), then probably they would wait to improve the secret base system for the Remake right?

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:43 AM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I'd prefer the Villa / House option simply because you could get to it easier than a Secret Base located on some route somewhere. With the Villa / House you can just use Fly and get to it immediately and take care of whatever you wanted to. I did like the Secret Bases though.

If they do reintroduce a Secret Base or House option though I'd like to see a bit more customization. Not just in terms of furniture, but layout and design (of the flooring / walls / outside of the house or secret base). I remember what I found particularly annoying about RSE's secret bases was the fact that the layout of the floor was set in stone depending on where you made the base. So the whole "pick your location" type thing wasn't really relevant. I just went for the best floor plan.
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Aero View Post
I remember what I found particularly annoying about RSE's secret bases was the fact that the layout of the floor was set in stone depending on where you made the base. So the whole "pick your location" type thing wasn't really relevant. I just went for the best floor plan.
Couldn't agree with you more, this definitely needs a workover. Every base should have maybe a slightly different "blueprint", but i hated how half the bases in RSE had holes in them, therefore not really good bases.

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Warship
異議あり!

Nature: Jolly
hmm a hard choice but i think id go with secret bases. they suited a pokemon trainer better than a villa i think. i mean you're a trainer not a superstar.
Growlithe - Charmeleon - Braixen
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I like the idea of both of them, and it would be nice if we see both of them make a return in Generation 6. Secret bases sounds very exciting! Maybe there will be a hidden legendary pokemon inside one of these bases? As for the villa, I never knew that you could customize a building let alone your villa, It would be perfect if it was built at the player's town. That villa can also be their home.
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:33 AM
leggomymeganium
King French Toast

Nature: Modest
Honestly I preferred the secret bases in R/S/E. Like you said they were more "childish". The secret bases in the underground in D/P/PL were fun for the first few days with my bros. Then after they fell into my traps too many times it got repetive. I never played platinum, but the villa sounds semi cool. I would still prefer gf to implement secret bases over wifi. That would be raw.

-Dolores Jane Umbridge
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Personally, I never cared about bases! The villa in Platinium was pretty cool but still useless and didn't make much sense (little kid/teenager owning a luxurous villa? Yeah right.).
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Meeklish
Sugarbby ::.

Send a message via Skype™ to Meeklish
If secret bases turn into tree houses when put in trees and caves in rocks then suuure, I'll choose secret bases. xD Because of the freedom on where it's put, and if it's changed that players can join in through wifi connection. Like what the above said, location doesn't really matter if the layout is set in stone.

But if that doesn't happen I'd choose a house/villa. Because it'd be easier to reach, and well, you could customize it and all that. It doesn't make me feel like a trainer though.. More like a daughter/son of a rich kid. ._.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Daydream
Spider-Man
Community Supporter

While I did find Secret Bases fun and all, I think I prefer the idea of a house. Especially if we had options as to where it could be, maybe in a certain town or route. And lots of customisation if it does happen, please.
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hederbomb

Nature: Bold
House, I lost where my base was (And the game cartage) in a day (I didn't lose the cartrage in a day, It took a while... I guess, who knows when I lost that thing) ... The villa I could just fly to and have more customization Ideas (Even though you cant chose where things go) I liked it better then the Secret Base (If you could even call it that).

Want to know whats wrong with someone? The real question is what ISN'T wrong with that person.
That is the real answer.

Last edited by Hederbomb; March 19th, 2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Da_Man32
Togepi

To be honest I never really cared for either, as they're essentially useless for the storyline. But if they made a comeback, I'd vote for secret bases, because it makes more sense for a child or teenager to have a secret base than a villa. Being able to rematch the E4 etc in your secret base would add some purpose to it and would be cool.
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:10 PM
The Magus

I'd like R/S/E style Secret bases back, but maybe with items that can give them PCs/Healing Machines and maybe make them Fly spots so you could place them in "interesting" places without always having to trek to them. It'd also be kind of cool to have them maybe connect to a D/P/Pt style Underground type area? Because that was really fun apart from the fact that you couldn't place secret bases on the overworld.

---
Pokemon: Height Of Discord!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=217822
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links