• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Team Dark Rising 2 (Now Recruiting)

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Hey Everyone! It's been a slow week but we're slowly getting a lot of stuff installed in the hack. The title screen is now in the main Rom and a lot of Pokemon's information has been completed as well. The following people have assignments this week:

Aryan143: By the end of the week, you'll have the main Rom to insert the Hero/Heroine/Prof.Mercury's sprites in the intro.

JillSandwich93: Will you have either of the music tracks we talked about by Tuesday? I plan to post a big update on that day and showcasing new music would be a great addition to it.

Moety5: Since Atif is busy, you'll be mapping early next week in the main Rom.

ATTENTION SCRIPTERS

The current scripter on the team is very busy and will not be able to script the required events needed to continue on with the hack. I'm asking All EXPERT SCRIPTERS reading this that if you're interested in applying, now's the time to do so and your assistance will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

And that's all for now.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Anyone have suggestions on which type of design the Pokemon Center or Mart will have? I'd love to see some. Also, if anyone knows how to insert them, that would be great as well. Remember we're still looking for a secondary scripter and a tile inserter so if anyone on the team knows someone who has a lot of free time & can fill these positions, let'em know to join us!

Another thing is the interior tiles for the Poke center and mart. We're going to have to find some really good ones to use. Or, if anyone wants to try and recolor the inside of the poke center or mart into something new and original, go give it a shot and show me a screenshot of how it came out.

Aryan143

The Fennekin Fan!
Years
For the PCs and Marts outerior design, I definitely like this one:

9cDppEW.png

I have a few other options of PCs and Marts but for me, these are the best.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years

9cDppEW.png

They look very nice & seem to be a good fit with the current tiles we have. If we don't receive anymore suggestions, I'll be looking into someone to insert them.

Years

9cDppEW.png

I think that these are the ones we should go with. They definitely fit the style of the game that is being used currently! Or at least, they do in my opinion :P

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
Sorry to interupt you DRG but where are gone ours ideas for special charather? Does anyone won or it is selected ?

Leafgreen2itsmyidea

Pokémon Master
Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2013
I don't like the colors of the Pokémart and Center,
But, One thing is sure: The creator put time and effort in it and the design looks good.

But, When is my task going to begin?
I can map a little bit, if it interests you ;)
Also :Basic Scripting ;)
And a bit of Spriting ;-)
But, Beta testing is my main thing.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Thanks for letting me know.

HEY EVERYONE

An update of the hack has been posted on the hack's thread in the progression hacks section. Be sure to check it out when you get the chance.

Last edited:

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
TEAM UPDATE

Hey Team! We've got 2 new members; thizzman & Patrick symus. Both are scripters and kinda new to the forums so if they ask for any assistance on learning anything, please be kind and help them out. ^.^
Now on to the Assignments:

thizzman/Patrick Symus: Both of you have been given the job to complete the first city event. However, it's up to you guys to decide who'll actually be doing it. Thizzman is much more experienced in scripting, however Patrick has already started the script since yesterday and is dedicated to learn scripting. So I don't really know which one of you to choose to finish it. So you two should PM each other and decide. Whoever doesn't take the job I have another easier script that needs to be done. It's a Trading Script & should be simple enough to complete.

Foxz- You're required to make brand new trainer sprites for the 2 characters I mentioned to you in a PM.

JbSundown- I'll be PM'ing you soon on an OW sprite request I'll need.

And that's it for the upcoming week's assignments. Hopefully with the addition of new scripters, we can make further gameplay progress.

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
Years
Anyone have suggestions on which type of design the Pokemon Center or Mart will have? I'd love to see some. Also, if anyone knows how to insert them, that would be great as well. Remember we're still looking for a secondary scripter and a tile inserter so if anyone on the team knows someone who has a lot of free time & can fill these positions, let'em know to join us!

Another thing is the interior tiles for the Poke center and mart. We're going to have to find some really good ones to use. Or, if anyone wants to try and recolor the inside of the poke center or mart into something new and original, go give it a shot and show me a screenshot of how it came out.

I had an idea, like put them into one building like one side is for the center and the other side for the PokeMart

jbeeber95

Miracle Painting
Years
You should really get some play testers on your team. The last game had a lot of errors on teams, moves, and things like that. If you didn't play through it fully several times with all three starters, you wouldn't catch it.

Get 3 play testers (one for each starter) that ONLY have the job of playtesting (so they don't focus specifically on maps or scripts or character plot or anything like that), and if possible, ask them to catch certain Pokemon that you, as a game designer, think are either broken or very weak. See if there are starters that make the game WAY harder, and see if there are some that make it easier. Starter selection was a very big weakness in the last game, with Dratini being a level 5 that had Wrap, having to fight against a Gible with rough skin and a 40 BP move along with Sand Attack. There were also things in general that just shouldn't be there that early in the game. Pokemon that could poison before you got antidotes? Nooo... Drought Vulpix when the gym gives you over heat (plus the gym itself being WAY too powerful... Heatmor with Solar beam and Fire Punch under sun? No thank you regardless of the fact that you start out with a dragon) is not a good idea, either. Zen Headbutt having a 100% chance of causing the flinch status was another problem. The level curve from the beginning to the first gym was also ridiculous in all regards. These are all things that could have been fixed completely with 3 play testers.

If you don't have 3 designated play testers that have access to programs like YAPE, some type of move editor, Advance Map, and other programs similar to the mentioned, then the (few) negatives from the last game will stand out. This will also fix any typo problems early instead of them being left untouched and then being left in the end product.

There is a reason why play testers are a legitimate thing in actual gaming companies, and there's a reason why the general public doesn't play test in most cases. MOST players are happy when they get a Vulpix that has drought, gets over heat early, and has a move that can cause 100% flinching... But for the people that like balanced games, that's not good at all, and it will push them away from this hack if it is anything like the first in this regard.

I'm not here to criticize, I'm here to state that I really want to play this version of your game because the last one was so hard to play through with these obvious flaws, and I don't want to have to play through that in this version. I really liked the plot details of your last hack, but the gameplay made it unbearable... Literally.

I'm not asking to be a play tester, either (although I wouldn't mind helping out ;) )... I'm just asking that you get (at least) 3 people that are specifically there for play testing this hack WHILE you're creating it, not afterwards. Encourage them to find any flaws in the game's balancing. These issues are VERY small individually, but without play testers, these small issues add up and make the game play un enjoyable. If you get three play testers that will point out these flaws and make sure the game is balanced over all, It will make this hack TONS better, and it will probably be awarded for the efforts. Trust me. Good hacks have all good traits, from game play to story, and number 1 lacked in the game play department. Make the game play in this one WAY better by having play testers on your team playing with you WHILE you make the hack.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
You should really get some play testers on your team. The last game had a lot of errors on teams, moves, and things like that. If you didn't play through it fully several times with all three starters, you wouldn't catch it.

Get 3 play testers (one for each starter) that ONLY have the job of playtesting (so they don't focus specifically on maps or scripts or character plot or anything like that), and if possible, ask them to catch certain Pokemon that you, as a game designer, think are either broken or very weak. See if there are starters that make the game WAY harder, and see if there are some that make it easier. Starter selection was a very big weakness in the last game, with Dratini being a level 5 that had Wrap, having to fight against a Gible with rough skin and a 40 BP move along with Sand Attack. There were also things in general that just shouldn't be there that early in the game. Pokemon that could poison before you got antidotes? Nooo... Drought Vulpix when the gym gives you over heat (plus the gym itself being WAY too powerful... Heatmor with Solar beam and Fire Punch under sun? No thank you regardless of the fact that you start out with a dragon) is not a good idea, either. Zen Headbutt having a 100% chance of causing the flinch status was another problem. The level curve from the beginning to the first gym was also ridiculous in all regards. These are all things that could have been fixed completely with 3 play testers.

If you don't have 3 designated play testers that have access to programs like YAPE, some type of move editor, Advance Map, and other programs similar to the mentioned, then the (few) negatives from the last game will stand out. This will also fix any typo problems early instead of them being left untouched and then being left in the end product.

There is a reason why play testers are a legitimate thing in actual gaming companies, and there's a reason why the general public doesn't play test in most cases. MOST players are happy when they get a Vulpix that has drought, gets over heat early, and has a move that can cause 100% flinching... But for the people that like balanced games, that's not good at all, and it will push them away from this hack if it is anything like the first in this regard.

I'm not here to criticize, I'm here to state that I really want to play this version of your game because the last one was so hard to play through with these obvious flaws, and I don't want to have to play through that in this version. I really liked the plot details of your last hack, but the gameplay made it unbearable... Literally.

I'm not asking to be a play tester, either (although I wouldn't mind helping out ;) )... I'm just asking that you get (at least) 3 people that are specifically there for play testing this hack WHILE you're creating it, not afterwards. Encourage them to find any flaws in the game's balancing. These issues are VERY small individually, but without play testers, these small issues add up and make the game play un enjoyable. If you get three play testers that will point out these flaws and make sure the game is balanced over all, It will make this hack TONS better, and it will probably be awarded for the efforts. Trust me. Good hacks have all good traits, from game play to story, and number 1 lacked in the game play department. Make the game play in this one WAY better by having play testers on your team playing with you WHILE you make the hack.

Don't worry, all of that is covered and completed. I have an entirely different look at this stuff Now than when I made the first one. The first one was actually finished 2 something years ago and was my first overall hack back when I was a beginner at all of this stuff. I just moved everything over to another rom and changed a few things which actually caused the gameplay to be unbalanced at times and buggy.
The other thing is, I made the hack with just 1 person who was the scripter. So Dark Rising 1 was a two person hack. THIS time, I have an entire team full of very good hackers And I'm A LOT better at everything. I just couldn't show it in Dark Rising 1 because it was pretty much done already before I got as good at this stuff as I am now. Dark Rising 2 is still going to be hard(But not as ridiculous as the first one), but it will be more balanced and fun. There will still be things you won't like about the sequel and others will however, I can't satisfy everyone. But I'm sure overall it will be a very amazing hack. Everything from the first one has been improved Drastically.

jbeeber95

Miracle Painting
Years
Okay! Making sure, since I would really like to play this one. Sorry if I sounded harsh or disrespectful. I'm looking forward to a more balanced and enjoyable sequel of the first game :).

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
Years
Don't worry, all of that is covered and completed. I have an entirely different look at this stuff Now than when I made the first one. The first one was actually finished 2 something years ago and was my first overall hack back when I was a beginner at all of this stuff. I just moved everything over to another rom and changed a few things which actually caused the gameplay to be unbalanced at times and buggy.
The other thing is, I made the hack with just 1 person who was the scripter. So Dark Rising 1 was a two person hack. THIS time, I have an entire team full of very good hackers And I'm A LOT better at everything. I just couldn't show it in Dark Rising 1 because it was pretty much done already before I got as good at this stuff as I am now. Dark Rising 2 is still going to be hard(But not as ridiculous as the first one), but it will be more balanced and fun. There will still be things you won't like about the sequel and others will however, I can't satisfy everyone. But I'm sure overall it will be a very amazing hack. Everything from the first one has been improved Drastically.

Anything you need from me?

Back