Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games
Reload this Page How do you Playthrough Each New Video Game?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old March 21st, 2013 (09:55 AM).
Gaiden
Team Kanto

Nature: Quirky
What I mean from the title is, let's say that you've just purchased a brand new video game that you have never played before.

Would you prefer that new game blindly, or, at some point, would you rely on a guide for some help on a part that you might get stuck on? On that note, do you consider using guides in games "cheating", or just a way of assistance? Or does it simply depend on the game itself? If you have other thoughts you'd like to share, feel free to!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 21st, 2013 (12:19 PM).
Sergeant Serious
Team Sinnoh
Gold Tier

Nature: Modest
If it's my first time playing, I like doing it Blind. That way when everything unfolds it's a surprise to me, and keeps me playing.

In later playthroughs, I'd do some fun stuff though, like in Persona 4 Golden doing an Only Izanagi run.

Old March 21st, 2013 (01:14 PM).
Not
Team Kalos

Blind. Just me and the video game. If I get stuck in a game for a while and I want to keep playing, I might look at a guide. Relying on guides or walkthrough make the playthrough much less entertaining for me.

Twitter - Tumblr
Old March 21st, 2013 (02:42 PM).
PokéRespect
Team Unova

Nature: Docile
I will start blind and continue this way unless I get really stuck and need a a hint in the right direction.
I also use guides to help me remember where I am in the game after taking a long break from play, this is pretty much exclusive to RPGs for me, otherwise I would rather replay the game than continue having forgotten what has happened previously.

After the first playthrough I will use a guide to help collect all the optional/collectible things that I missed the first time around.
Old March 21st, 2013 (03:18 PM).
I just love ham jerky.
Team Unova

Nature: Adamant
Blind the first time, but after that I reserve the right to use any guide I want because I'm not wasting a ton of time trying to figure out where collectibles are. That's how I play through visual novels. The first time I just see which ending I get naturally, but after that I skip all read text and use guides to get 100%.
Old March 21st, 2013 (04:03 PM).
Insert Something Witty Here
Team Hoenn

Nature: Quiet
Blind first time, higher difficulty the second. Just to make things fun.
Old March 21st, 2013 (08:07 PM).
とたけけ
Team Hoenn
ModeratorCSEO

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Osiris
I've always gone through games blind the first time around, just since I feel that using a guide lessens the satisfaction of completing a game. After I've completed the main story or am playing through again, I ocassionally will look up hints/guides, especially if I'm trying to get a bunch of trophies/achievements.

Old March 21st, 2013 (10:22 PM).
the blossom pokémon
Team Sinnoh
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Unless I'm really stuck at a particular point, I'll do blind runs first. If I really like the game, I'll go back and play it again with a guide in order to get 100%. I play a lot of JRPGs and they're notorious for having tons of easily missed items or sidequests as you progress. Especially the Tales games, you need a guide open at all times if you intend to get anywhere near completion.

If I'm not worried about spoilers and I'm enjoying the game and want a fuller experience, I'll loosely play with a guide on my first time. It's usually for games where I want to do some extra stuff but I know I won't have the time/drive to play again for completion. And if I'm really not enjoying a game but still want to finish it, I'll play with a guide to get through it ASAP.
Old March 22nd, 2013 (02:38 AM).
TOY CHICA FTW!!!!
Team Kanto

Nature: Naughty
I would always go through the game first time blind except if I needed help at a tricky part of the game. If I get stuck I'll go to Gamefaqs for a guide of that game. After the first playthrough I'll add some challages of my own to make the game fun again.
Old March 24th, 2013 (06:21 AM).
Gaiden
Team Kanto

Nature: Quirky
As for myself, I'd preferably play each new video game I buy blind, and I'd prefer to solve each puzzle I see, no matter how hard it is. A few exceptions on me using guides is when I'd usually get stumped, like in a few legend of Zelda games, like, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, where I have absolutely no idea on where to go sometimes, and sometimes, things can get a little cryptic, like, knowing when to activate the Harp of Currents, etc.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 24th, 2013 (04:06 PM).
Guide of Darkness
Team Johto
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Very first time playing it? Just... play it.

If it's something that I can't just return to after the credits to complete, and I know that before hand, then I'll turn to the Internet for a checklist. I did this with the Mass Effects. Just to know when a side-quest is available to me. Not how to do it or how to get it. That way I don't miss it and have to replay the entire game for it.

If I can return to the overworld or whatever after the credits and explore, then I don't care. Just have plain old blind run-through for the first time.
Old March 26th, 2013 (07:22 AM).
James Sunderland
Team Unova
Crystal Tier

Nature: Lax
As blind as possible.

I don't like spoilers or guides; I prefer to find it out my own way and tackle it blind. The only time I use guides, is if I am grinding or anything that requires anything like that.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links