The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking > Hacks Showcase

Notices

Hacks Showcase Want to play a hack? Here, you can play some good quality hacks… or you can make your own and submit it here! (Unless you can show a significant amount of development, your hack starts at the "Progressing Hacks" forum first.)
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM
cabusao10
Pogi

Nature: Modest
This game is turning to be a great pokemon hack. (though it's already a good hack)

I can't wait to play beta 4.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:23 AM
Brane
-

I'm glad to here you're not rushing this and putting a lot of attention to detail. I am a bit bummed that the final release is going to be a while away, but by the way this has been progressing it makes me want to wait that long due to the fact that what you've been doing so far leads me to believe you definitely wont disappoint! The title screen looks very refreshing and the new hero sprite is really well done.

Good luck on the rest of it! I'm really looking forward to playing the next beta.
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabusao10 View Post
This game is turning to be a great pokemon hack. (though it's already a good hack)

I can't wait to play beta 4.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brane View Post
I'm glad to here you're not rushing this and putting a lot of attention to detail. I am a bit bummed that the final release is going to be a while away, but by the way this has been progressing it makes me want to wait that long due to the fact that what you've been doing so far leads me to believe you definitely wont disappoint!
I've been doing that before actually, all of the betas this far have been rushed even though they necessarily didn't have any bugs in them, just planning errors.
Now, I've been doing things in a more proper way, putting things in "final version shape". And I can tell that it's totally starting to pay off!

So I shouldn't disappoint you, especially if you're a fan of other RPG games. I've been picking lots of ideas of those, mainly Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy series, but there are more as well. Only thing I'm "afraid" of is the fact whether my own scenes feel sometimes too similar to ones introduced in them. After all, I don't want to be "copying" things, I want this to be something brand new, a new experience apart of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brane View Post
The title screen looks very refreshing and the new hero sprite is really well done.

Good luck on the rest of it! I'm really looking forward to playing the next beta.
Thanks!

Anyway, guess what...
It's a video-time!

I remember somebody requesting stuff related to storyline instead of just new features such as what I've mainly been introducing, so now I have some content to keep you entertained. It's a video of a cutscene in Raven's gym, in Granaldo City (and will also be one of the final events of beta 4).

Obviously because this has storyline content in it, it contains spoilers related to the storyline... So watch it at your own risk. It shouldn't spoil the gaming experience from beta 4 in any way though, might instead make things even more interesting.

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:54 PM
cabusao10
Pogi

I like what's going on the video. It really itching me to play the next beta.
Old March 20th, 2013, 01:09 PM
miksy91

Quote:
I like what's going on the video. It really itching me to play the next beta.
Thanks, RED!

I've got another update for you guys!

The picture on the left shows a certain asm hack that makes you receive Battle Points (BP) instead of money if a battle simulator battle is won. And on the right, we've got a menu with a bunch of buyable things.

Hacks I support

Old March 21st, 2013, 06:44 AM
classiccartoonsftw
Nintendo is for awesome people

Will you be able to buy Elekid and Tyrogue?

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=304577

If you want to play, be sure to check the last page!

Too many Pokémon hacks are of the 3rd Generation, majority of them being FireRed. If you believe that the first two generations should be hacked more often, copy and paste this into your signature!
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:07 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccartoonsftw View Post
Will you be able to buy Elekid and Tyrogue?
Elekid, yes. Tyrogue is not in the list though.
But apart from these three that are shown in the image, there are ~15 other "items" you can get (around a half of them are pokemon, and there are two "secrets").

Hacks I support

Old March 24th, 2013, 04:34 AM
cabusao10
Pogi

Whoa! You know me even though my account here is too old.

also im really curious about the how battle simulator works and how BP done, i might try to search it or maybe i could just ask it to you and put it on my hack, if it is only ok to you?
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:03 AM
miksy91

Quote:
Whoa! You know me even though my account here is too old.
It's kinda obvious, you posted that "emerald hack" thread here as well.

Quote:
also im really curious about the how battle simulator works and how BP done, i might try to search it or maybe i could just ask it to you and put it on my hack, if it is only ok to you?
I hacked it so that you're given BP if the money you would be given equals to 0. There is a routine starting at 0F:4FC3 that loads hl with the pointer of a text pointer. First, we load hl with 5009 and in 0F:5009 we've got F0 53. By loading hl with 5009, we would be printing text data from 40:53F0 later on.

At 0F:4FD6 and 0F:4FDC, we've got "jp 3CD6". This routine at $3CD6 is used to print text at 40:hl. So when the processor is about to execute one of those, I use "jp 7F1A" instead to jump to my own new routine.

This one checks whether the values in ram addresses CB65 and CB66 are 0 (this is where given money is stored). If either one of them is not 0, "jp 3CD6". If both are 0, it calls a new routine that is used to give you a certain amount of BP (this depends on the Trainer Number byte) and stores it in D57A where "coins" are originally stored (this is just for convenience, so that I can use "givecoins", "checkcoins" and "takecoins" operations without doing those with assembly). So in this new routine, it loads the amount of given BP to a register pair depending on the Trainer Number value (this works because all simulator battles are of the same Trainer Group).

How much it loads works simply with;

Code:
ld a, [TrainerNo]
ld e, a
ld d, 00
ld hl, $table 
add hl, de
add hl, de
ldi a, [hl]
ld h, [hl]
ld l, a
And next I add the value of hl into D57A by building a counter that checks whether the "ones" go above FF and if so, it increments "tens". And it also sets the maximum value of the counter to 27 0F (9999).

Go ahead and do something similar if you like though. If you want to add the possibility to gain BP from many Trainer Groups, you have to expand the table you load into hl but other than that, this is how it would work.

Hacks I support

Last edited by miksy91; March 24th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old March 24th, 2013, 01:39 PM
cabusao10
Pogi

Thanks! I'll try this it later. And of course i will give you credit for telling me this thing.
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:08 AM
l0l20r2
Unhatched Egg

Awesome hack, sucked in already after 30 minutes of play. Quick question before I evolve my female Eevee into an espeon and regret it, is there a daycare center for breeding in this version or no?

Your IQ can't save you from violence
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:35 AM
miksy91

Quote:
Thanks! I'll try this it later. And of course i will give you credit for telling me this thing.
Thanks, I appreciate it (although this is not much really).

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0l20r2 View Post
Awesome hack, sucked in already after 30 minutes of play. Quick question before I evolve my female Eevee into an espeon and regret it, is there a daycare center for breeding in this version or no?
Thanks!
Feel free to let your Eevee evolve into Espeon (or any other upper form too!). There is no daycare in beta 3, but you definitely won't regret doing that. That's because...
Spoiler:
De-Stone is the key to the answer you're looking for.

Also, just wait till you see beta 4! That will not only include more content, but be much better than beta 3 in overall, with lots of new stuff to see and original things being implemented in better ways

Hacks I support

Old March 25th, 2013, 02:36 AM
czen29

i like it :D can't wait for the final version ><

very cool changes in 3.1 are cooler than 3.0 .

i even defeated isaac in one battle ><

Last edited by czen29; March 25th, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:56 AM
l0l20r2
Unhatched Egg

I decided to trick my emulator and evolve it into an umbreon instead. Gotta love the stats on Umbreon. But yeh i guess considering its not a full version its no biggy. There are a lot of cool alternatives to catch even early on anyway. Vulpix Squirtle and sneasal are sweet options. Keep up the good work man. Its looking great so far.

I appreciate that you take the time to make Gen 1/2 hacks. They allow so much more freedom and tbh it feels more nostalgic as those are the versions I grew up with. Good luck

edit:
Question. What level does Jolteon learn an electric type move? Kinda need to know.

Your IQ can't save you from violence

Last edited by l0l20r2; March 25th, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:48 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by czen29 View Post
i like it :D can't wait for the final version ><
Thanks.

Quote:
very cool changes in 3.1 are cooler than 3.0 .
Beta 3.0 was rushed, and so it was missing quite a lot of things. It's not like it was unstable though, instead there were simply lots of things that could have been done better so I updated it later on (to release 3.1).

Quote:
i even defeated isaac in one battle ><
Hahha, kinda had to take that possibility in coding too, although you "should" have lost to his "next phase" the first try.

Quote:
I appreciate that you take the time to make Gen 1/2 hacks. They allow so much more freedom and tbh it feels more nostalgic as those are the versions I grew up with. Good luck
Well, I started off rom hacking in late 2008 by hacking Pokemon Crystal. I used to do lots of map edit hacks along with a couple of other features until I decided to learn, how to do the job "right". So, the thing is that it was easy for me to move on using a base similar to Crystal, so I first picked Gold actually and later on switched to using Silver in 2010 when I also released the first early demo of this hack.

Nowadays though, I wouldn't have a problem at hacking anything else either. If I was to start another hack, it could be practically of anything. If I did that, I wouldn't probably go for a GB/C pokemon hack; mainly because of the fact that I'm already familiar with GB/C assembly and how those games work. It could be another pokemon game like Emerald, or possibly some RPG game made by Square Enix instead.

But, I'm stuck with this one and now that I've gotten this far, there is no turning back anymore, hahha!

Quote:
edit:
Question. What level does Jolteon learn an electric type move? Kinda need to know.
If I remember correctly, it learns Spark at level 33, Thunderbolt at level 44 and Thunder at level 51. You can actually confirm these yourself by playing the game (you can run into this knowledge one way or another, not telling how though!), but the way it works is not so well-implemented in beta 3 that you would get actual use of doing that.
Or more like, you can only put that knowledge into use when training another Eevee which you can get either by breeding or by buying one (but you can unfortunately do neither in beta 3).

Hacks I support

Old March 28th, 2013, 01:32 AM
RedBizz
Unhatched Egg

Very good Hack! I love having both 1st and 2nd generation's pokemon!
I hope you'll publish Beta 4 soon
Old March 28th, 2013, 08:22 AM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBizz View Post
Very good Hack! I love having both 1st and 2nd generation's pokemon!
I hope you'll publish Beta 4 soon
Thanks.

I could pretty much release the next beta already if I wanted to, but not going to rush it.
There are a plenty of things I still want to improve and two small sidequests to finish but that's all about it. Also, Blue Emerald is helping me correct grammar errors I've made so those fixes are on the way as well.

Might take some time but will totally be the worth to wait.
Perhaps a month, two or more. It shall be playable sometime this summer if not earlier though.

Hacks I support

Old March 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
!MaX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
or possibly some RPG game made by Square Enix instead.
Hhhhmmm...I'm gonna call Chrono Trigger...although the guys at Square Enix are notorious for shutting down hacks of their games!

I see it's taking you longer to get the next beta out!

Good!

It's gonna be even better!

I hope the daycare is in there!

Good luck with the beta!

I will be around to get it!

In the meantime, the Ruby Destiny series got me into playing hacks from the 3rd generation Pokemon games, so if you ever make a hack from those games as you said, you can be sure that I will follow you!
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:18 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by !MaX! View Post
Hhhhmmm...I'm gonna call Chrono Trigger...although the guys at Square Enix are notorious for shutting down hacks of their games!
Hacking CT could be fun. I don't think Square has any reason to shut down hacks of CT, the reason why Crimson Echoes was prevented from being released was probably just because of DS version of CT coming out in the time. At least, this is what I've heard some people in "romhacking(dot)net" talking about.

Quote:
I see it's taking you longer to get the next beta out!

Good!

It's gonna be even better!

I hope the daycare is in there!

Good luck with the beta!

I will be around to get it!
Thanks, and dayrace ( yeah,dayrace ) is definitely in there. But a whole different thing is, if you actually "find time" into using it

The quality of beta 3.0 doesn't even come close to this one, that I can guarantee
Been saying this like a dozen times already, but it's true. Beta 3 is just some "demo" of what I've reserved for the next release.

When you learn more and more all the time, you'll eventually pass a point when you can do many things you could not have done before. It would have been easy if I could have done everything well from the start, but I didn't so therefore I've had to redo a lot. And some things were also poorly implemented because of my laziness which I've fixed by now too.

Quote:
In the meantime, the Ruby Destiny series got me into playing hacks from the 3rd generation Pokemon games, so if you ever make a hack from those games as you said, you can be sure that I will follow you!
I most likely won't create any hacks after this one. I might start developing games later on though, since I started studying programming in uni a couple of months ago.
Those would come to commercial business though. I've already done enough fan-made games, this shall be the last one unless I make a sequel to Dark Energy that is.

But impossible to say anything more as of now yet.

Hacks I support

Old March 31st, 2013, 04:46 AM
miksy91

Another video here;

That there is one cunning bird indeed.

Hacks I support

Old April 5th, 2013, 06:36 PM
yourmettychoglas

Can anybody please tell me where to find the last page (not the 1 in the locked house, not the 1 next to the karate guy where you surf or the 1 inside the moo moo farm area)? thankyou
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Corp
Unhatched Egg

Misky91, I do enjoy your hacks (playing Ultimate End right now)
But, can you link me all of your hacks? It's hard to find them because there isn't a list of them or anything on your profile. Or, can you tell me how to find them? People say you have way more hacks, and I've honestly only played Ultimate End.
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmettychoglas View Post
Can anybody please tell me where to find the last page (not the 1 in the locked house, not the 1 next to the karate guy where you surf or the 1 inside the moo moo farm area)? thankyou
Spoiler:
You've got to defeat Neal in Grand Tower.
Of course, you'd still be missing pages even after doing so because all of them are not included in beta 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corp View Post
Misky91, I do enjoy your hacks (playing Ultimate End right now)
But, can you link me all of your hacks? It's hard to find them because there isn't a list of them or anything on your profile. Or, can you tell me how to find them? People say you have way more hacks, and I've honestly only played Ultimate End.
Well, the reason why I don't have them linked to my profile these days is because, I don't want people to confuse this hack (Dark Energy) with any of those. That's because... most people find them bad. And, I actually think exactly the same way! They're just edits of the original game, unlike this one.

So yeah, I don't want others to think this hack is bad, just because my earlier hacks are. I'm a programmer these days, not just a tool-user.
But sure, if you feel like playing my earlier hacks, you can find them in Zophar's Domain.

Hacks I support

Old April 11th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Truut
Unhatched Egg

I am so happy to see a hack that can legitimately be called a hack and not an "edit". I am excited to see what beta 4 has in store. The book with the missing pages is an intriguing addition and I cannot wait to see how it pans out. What can I say, I am a sucker for side quests that adds to a game's replay value.

Your work has reignited my interest in rom hacking which unfortunately died a few years ago due to the feeling that there was no longer an interest in gb/gbc hacking. I found a few gb/gbc hacks but they were little more than text edits for the sake of comedy rather than a game overhaul (due to the lack of fancy tools probably, sad few people want to put forth the effort to learn a little asm to test the limits of a game's potential).

Looking forward to your next programming video also. Keep up the wonderful work!
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:09 PM
miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truut View Post
I am so happy to see a hack that can legitimately be called a hack and not an "edit". I am excited to see what beta 4 has in store. The book with the missing pages is an intriguing addition and I cannot wait to see how it pans out. What can I say, I am a sucker for side quests that adds to a game's replay value.
Hmmm... you like this?

Spoiler:

But yeah, beta 4 will be filled with all kinds of sidequests, most of them being accessable just before it's about to end. It will also reveal more of the story and end in a point, where you'd actually want to see how it's going to go on, but there is really nothing I can do about it.

After that (for beta 5), there won't be any more sidequests to do because I've planned the game to go on like that; there is simply nothing that will make you receive some sidequest that wasn't doable earlier. But what will be good about it is that, beta 5 will cover a lot more story (and interesting storyline-related events!).

And finally after beta 5, I'll release the final product with another sidequest (or two) in it, but one is really a major one (totally, the longest sidequest introduced in the game)! It also covers interesting background information related to the storyline, which will reveal the "missing pieces" of the story in player's aspect.

And, that's the plan basically

Quote:
Your work has reignited my interest in rom hacking which unfortunately died a few years ago due to the feeling that there was no longer an interest in gb/gbc hacking. I found a few gb/gbc hacks but they were little more than text edits for the sake of comedy rather than a game overhaul (due to the lack of fancy tools probably, sad few people want to put forth the effort to learn a little asm to test the limits of a game's potential).
True. Most people don't effort teaching themselves how to rom hack. Personally, I kinda had the same problem ~3 years ago, but decided to learn scripting using the scripting engine of Gold/Silver, which eventually lead me deeper into the "business".

Quote:
Looking forward to your next programming video also. Keep up the wonderful work!
Nice to hear you've been watching them!
And thanks for the reply!

Hacks I support

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links