The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:58 AM
lucariofan
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
For those who are hacking Ruby / Sapphire, do not follow this tutorial, I am looking for how to do it in Ruby (it's in hex) of the first intro (see image below). If someone knows how to find / insert it, tell me, please.

Hello everybody, I do this tutorial for making your hacks a bit better (and custom), and, together, we could prevent the sale of illegal roms.

Some people have done this in their own hacks (Koder in Pokémon Caps, Alexmad in Pokémon Mitic Island), but haven't tutorial, therefore, I pledge to do so:)

Everytime (or rather, every time you open a Pokémon rom), you'll see a screen like this, or similar:

And most of those who have have edited this, has only edited the letters. But it's very little, and in my case, I want it to be totally different (I would avoid selling my hack, and customize a little more). We will use these tools:

-Our imagination (not a tool, but it is very important if you want to do things without using my resources (below is the download of my resources)).

-A Emerald, Fire Red or Leaf Green.

-Microsoft Paint (yes, that is included in all Windows installations (MSPaint.exe): I recommend the Windows Vista/XP/2000 paint ... but not the new of Windows 7, it's uncomfortable.

-FreeSpaceFinder (FSF) or Thingy32: To search for available space.

-Cyclone / NamelessTileMapEditor or (NTME): To create the tilemap.

-GBA-unLZ: To insert the image and tilemap.

-AdvancePalletteEditor (APE) or another palettes editor.

VisualBoyAdvance: To test if it works.

Then we should begin to work!

STEP 1: Make our own screen in paint.

I made my template with the background of the second screen in a battle, in Pokémon Platinum, and I use the fonts.

Many will think that insert this template is impossible, but it's not, follow the tutorial and see how it works.

STEP 2: Remove the tiles wich are repeated in the image, and remember, use the eraser to the size of 8x8.
In MSPaint, it's like this:

After erasing all the tiles repeated, we must sort (or disorder), but get more empty space. If there are empty spaces, fill it, or leave as is. (REMEMBER: It can only have 16 colors)

Remember: In NTME flip images, so if a tile that is the same if flip it, you can remove the other.

After having done these things, it should be something like this:

Very messy, no? : P

Now we have to index the image and save it in .GIF

Mine is indexed, and to be in. Png, and for those who want to know how I did, here are the steps:

1) Open the image with MSPaint.

2) Save it in .PNG

It's easy, no?

STEP 3: Open any editor tilemap, although I recommend NTME, because you can flip images and so you save more space (and bytes). Build the image as you did. This is mine:

[important] The height and width of this tilemap must be 32x32 (if not, it doesn't work) and always starts at the top left. Used to adjust the "+".

STEP 4: Save the tilemap, and it is time to see how big is the tileset. Find the tileset, right click -> properties and look for "Space" (I think (size is in English)), we can see how big your tilemap, to use the FSF (FreeSpaceFinder).

In my case, it's 2512. There is no need to see how much the RAW weighs, because it should always be 2048 bytes (2kb).

STEP 5: Open the FSF (FreeSpaceFinder) and start searching for 2512 bytes. Copy this address.

Open unLZ, load the rom that you want to use. In my case was FireRed.
Remember, usually the tilemap (. RAW) images are from the address just after the image.
Directions:

-Pokémon Ruby / Sapphire:
Image of the intro: 1635
Tilemap (.Raw) of the intro: In hex.

-Pokémon FireRed / LeafGreen (in my case)
Image of the intro: 207
Tilemap (. Raw) of the intro: 208

-Pokemon Emerald
Image of the intro: 2540
Tilemap (. Raw) of the intro: 2541

Go to the direction of the image. In this direction, select import image, select Write To ROM, and in "image offset", paste the address of the FSF get (must be 8 numbers, and if you have only 6 or 7, add one or two zeros (0)).
Select everything except "Export Pallett (that would be Export Image, New Image Auto Abort if Bigger and Automatically fix pointers), select OK. REMEMBER: Id doesn't matter if the image is bigger.

When you import the image in the box below you have the pallettes in order (I mean that when you go to insert the pallet should be in the same order). I recommend to make a screenshot (screenshot) of the screen, paste in paint, so you can more easily use the color picker in APE.

After importing the image, go to FSF, search for 2048. Copy the address, and in the unLZ, go to the direction of Tilemap (.Raw). When you're out there in the menu bar, go to File - "Load ...", and select the RAW tilemap you created. Select open. Write To ROM, as before, paste the address of the FSF, adding zeros are required (must end up with 8 numbers), select Export all Pallett. Select OK.

STEP 6: Go to VBA, and see how the image has been (though this is optional):

(Pokémon Emerald inserted with the background).

Since there is not much, but of course we have to change the palletes, so let us begin.

Go to APE, find the pallets intro (down) and replace the order they were in the unLZ.
Offset of the pallets of the introduction:

-Ruby/Sapphire: I don't know.
-FireRed/LeafGreen: 00402260
-Emerald: 00DC3D54

After changing the pallettes, it'll be as wanted.

RESULT:

I've left the resources that used for those who want to make their own images. Putting credit or thanks is optional.
http://rapidshare.com/files/24961439...Chaos.zip.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VYPXZP4B

I recommend you to change it as this avoid sale of illegal ROMs.

For those that are vague, the tutorial seems very long, but for those who are satisfied with my contributions, with about 10 minutes you have plenty of time, if you understand how.

I hope that the tutorial have helped you!

Last edited by hashtag; April 15th, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Robert Conley
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
Nice tut but I think the copyright info should be left there somehow.
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Well if you want an anti-pirate screen, this thread can help you out with that. The patches available there will insert a screen before the screen that you edit here so that you can have a message telling people not to sell the hack and have a copyright screen.

Well this is a nice and simple tutorial, easy to follow and it's got pictures (always a plus). Very helpful, thanks!

Brother of Vrai

Last edited by colcolstyles; July 14th, 2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: forgot the link -_-'
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
sasquatchd00d
welcoming a clean head.

Nature: Relaxed
I saw this in your hack thread and I wondered how to do it. Thanks for this! It's very informative and easy to follow with pictures.

Although, the patch that colcolstyles pointed out is a bit better because it doesn't use the boot screen (I may be wrong) and it uses a screen before the boot screen.
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Nice Tutorial but its a bit complicated and I like the image you made can you provide a download link so all I will need to do is insert it.
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
mat1554
French Translator

Nature: Calm
Hi,
I have a question for you, do you give me autorization to translate your tutorial in french for my forum please ? I you want, can you answer me by MP please.

Thank you !
Mat1554
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:33 PM
oliverl79
Pokemon Master

Nature: Brave
could you make a patch for that intro or others u could make, for people like me who cant be bothered making there own please?
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
theking6
Water Types!! :D

Thanks I am in the middle of a few hacks so that really helped.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Maxzeroedge
Ready for simply anything

Send a message via Yahoo to Maxzeroedge Send a message via Skype™ to Maxzeroedge
Can u explain how to disorder the image. Sorry I am very amatuer in all this and hence need help :D
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
ME0W
Still busy working on my hack.

Well I will wait for a tut on how to edit the intro for pokemon ruby!

Not bad don't you think?
My other one went nuts!
So I made a new one!

Quote:
Spoiler:

One of my favorite

quotes!

Mr. Flak: Oh, and Mr. Larkin, perhaps you'd
like to share with the rest of the class,
Patrick Henry's immortal last words.

Link Larkin: Kiss my ASS?

Man I love that!

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
D-Trogh
Dead

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to D-Trogh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzeroedge View Post
Can u explain how to disorder the image. Sorry I am very amatuer in all this and hence need help :D
If you look for my NTME thread, there's a video which shows you a way how to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME0W View Post
Well I will wait for a tut on how to edit the intro for pokemon ruby!
It's the same for Ruby.. just edit the tileset and tilemap..
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Elite Trainer Red
Beginning Trainer

great :D
thanks for the tutorial!1!

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Steveice10
Beginning Trainer

It isn't working for me. I deleted the copy I used it on, so I have no screenshots. It shows parts of the screen I used, but not in the right order.
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:18 PM
ultimatedood
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
After importing the image, go to FSF, search for 2048. Copy the address-
Not enough free space found. My tile(set?).gif was 3189, I guess this is too big

I guess I'll never be able to use this for my team rocket hack, no matter how good or bad it turned out to be:

I spent so much time on that .raw image too.

I give up

Spoiler:
Can you raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
If you can raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre.
Old July 29th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
yea you can, you just got to convert it to a tileset first, then ..you know what, go look at the vid in NTME's thread

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:27 AM
professional
Beginning Trainer

Old August 5th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Mr.Silver
Say Hello To Nurse Barbra

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr.Silver
this looks SO smexy [/sarcasm]
Anyone able to help?

Old August 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
this looks SO smexy [/sarcasm]
Anyone able to help?
I can't say for sure because I haven't tried this recently but it looks to me as though you made the tilemap two tiles too thin. Try adding 2 to the width of the tilemap and then import it again.

Brother of Vrai
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Mr.Silver
Say Hello To Nurse Barbra

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr.Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
I can't say for sure because I haven't tried this recently but it looks to me as though you made the tilemap two tiles too thin. Try adding 2 to the width of the tilemap and then import it again.
Thanks. that fixed it. now onto the title screen....

Old August 13th, 2010, 10:22 PM
KyotoTushoni
Veteran Trainer/Beginner Hack

This is a useful little [TUT]. Do you think you could add editting to the screen with "Game Freak" and their logo behind it, I haven't found it anywhere and this was a really nice Tut so I figured you could.

Also I would like to help make your Step 1 easier...Download Sphere v1.5, open the 'editor', [File]>[Import]>[Image to Map]. Set to 8 and 8, ok for deleting duplicate tiles. Double click the created file, it will open up in sphere with a window that has a Tilemap, hit key: Prt Sc, Paste intp MS Paint and essentially crop the tile map and whatever the first tile is will have to be changed because there will be a pink box around it (which commen sense can fix in many ways).
one to make a difference.

Last edited by KyotoTushoni; August 13th, 2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Idea.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:55 PM
haack16
MYTHBUSTER!

Usefull tut, but can you make a video that show us what you do?

If you want to join pm me and join the group; Team Myth.

What I Will Need:

- Tile editor and Inserter.
- Sprite maker and inserter.
- +++More things that i dont want to whrite here right now.
- Do you want to do something for this hack pm me!
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:45 PM
cloud_felipe
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cloud_felipe Send a message via Yahoo to cloud_felipe Send a message via Skype™ to cloud_felipe
nice tutorial, a little difficult but you explain it well
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Line3007

Ah, nice! Very helpful turotial, thank you!
Old November 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Haxxox

I doubt the OP is still around to answer this but can anyone explain what he does in step 2? He just goes from having a normal image to a scrambled up one.
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Rycanthropy
Wrecking Ball

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxxox View Post
I doubt the OP is still around to answer this but can anyone explain what he does in step 2? He just goes from having a normal image to a scrambled up one.
What he does is break up his titlescreen into 8x8 tiles (squares of side 8 pixels), then removes all the tiles that have already been used (repeated tiles).

edit. This tutorial is outdated, and you can actually do a lot of the manual work automatically using Sphere Editor, (the only difference being Sphere's tilemaps don't remove flipped tiles, so your image will use a little extra space). Search this forum for another tutorial using the keywords "bootscreen editing", there was a really nice tutorial as a part of a compilation somewhere here.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here