The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
In Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald we had a rather different fishing system from the other games in Pokemon. You had to hit the A button any time the game said "Oh! A bite!" and had to repeat this for an indefinite amount of time before that Pokemon finally was on the hook.

What do you think of this new system of fishing? Do you like it or hate it?

No matter what rod you use, this is there...

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.

Last edited by Golden Warrior; March 28th, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 06:55 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I remember when I first played Ruby, I didn't know how to fish. It took me ages to learn how to do it. I remember when I found a Wailord by surfing, and I had to breed it to get a Wailmer. lol
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Hikamaru
ラグラージ
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I remember fishing back when I played Ruby and I thought it was very hard back then. Not to mention I kept fishing up too many of the same Pokemon. I actually hated this way because I was always impatient and therefore didn't reel anything up most of the time.

I am glad it did get simplified in later generations though.
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Feebas
Unevolved

Nature: Lonely
I mostly agree with Hikari, the fishing system in RSE was quite annoying, and I'm gladit was simplified in later generations. I had so much trouble figuring out how to fish with the good and super rod I had to ask a friend how to fish with them.

Old March 29th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
I didn't like this system very much at all. The games before it let you do something else while waiting and I got to used to that. Also, the timing where it said "Oh! A bite!" was inconsistent, which got really annoying.

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:25 AM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I never really fished too much in RSE, as I loved the Marills near the Daycare.

I remember trying to find a Feebas once, though, that was annoying...

...Let's play a game...
3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera & ShiningRaichu
Old March 29th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I did not like the new way of fishing because if was annoying watch for the "oh it's a bite"
and most of the time I reeled in to fast.
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

I didn't like that system at first, but that was mostly because of my emulator that was set on fast-motion and I didn't know how to reset it lol. Whenever I tried to press the A button whenever the "Oh, a bite!" message popped up, I was too slow and the Pokemon escaped Every Single Time.

After I managed to reset the emulator only then was I able to fish. I kinda got the concept right away, but it quickly got annoying. I disliked the inconsistency of the bites. It always kept me on watch, and sometimes when a bite suddenly comes in and I'm not prepared for it, I lose the Pokemon. ><

There are also some good aspects of it though. The bites served as an indicator. It allowed me to know whether the Pokemon on the hook was a rare/strong one or not. The more the bites, the rarer/stronger the Pokemon. If the Pokemon was a Magikarp, it got hooked by usually only one or two bites, but if the Pokemon was a Gyarados, there were many, many more.

I've also tried the Feebas hunt, but I got too frustrated, so I stopped searching. Lol.

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
Especially when looking for Feebas, tapping A numerous times just to see what Pokemon you hooked got annoying quickly. And many other times, very quickly after seeing "Oh, a bite!" the Pokemon will disappear right away. This always annoyed me, because I'd usually be watching TV or something when playing, but if I wasn't paying 100% attention to my game, I could never fish properly.

Pokémon Trainer Brendan wants to battle!
Grovyle (Lv. 32) - Overgrow - (Leaf Blade, Energy Ball)
Favorite Pokémon Tournament: FINALE
November 21st / Staff Collab 2014

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Mm, not cool.

The fishing process, easy I take it, but it elongates the time a lot so I couldn't keep battling Wailmers and Wailords to gain monstrous Exp. So in a way I was relieved when this system shortened out in FR, but I really think this system was great since you'll get the real feel of fishing.
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
One of the worst ideas by Gamefreak. Finding a Pokémon with the Rod already involves an element of luck, and then they decided to turn it into a minigame. Also sometimes a Pokémon took several bites to hook, then it wasn't really that good.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Bern

Tryng to find a feebas with this method is sooooo ennoying, i just gave up. I tried to find i feebas on each of my cartridges of R/S/E and gave up on each.... I just dont want to bother lol.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 31st, 2013, 05:20 AM
Sonkitts

I've been quite fortunate in my Feebas hunts. I found it quickly.

I agree that the system is annoying, but as I played Gen III over and over and over I gradually became used to it without thinking 'This is annoying'. I found a shiny Magikarp on my Ruby file too, hunting for Feebas.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
JustChillin810
xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx

Nature: Brave
I think it was a lot more difficult then it should have been. Although, a good number of players probably complained about the fishing system being too easy. Otherwise, it was a just a really stupid decision to change the system.

Pikachu is boss!
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:37 AM
SirVer
Worshipper of Blaziken

I actually really liked that system. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm biased towards RSE, but it made sure you were paying attention to the game, though it gets annoying when hunting for Feebas. The only thing I would change about the fishing system is that often when something gets away, the next few times you fish, nothing comes up, though I don't know whether this is actually programmed in, or if it's just my bad luck.
Sorry.

My team (Gen 3 competitive):

Self proclaimed rank: I so n00b!
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:31 AM
ABGamer
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Fishing in Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald, I hated it, I really didn't want to have to sit there for about an hour trying to get a magikarp (I wanted a gyarados), it was so annoying, just didn't want to do anything that included a fishing rod.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:14 PM
pokem0nprincess

Nature: Quirky
I thought it was a lot more realistic, but also too annoying to be considered a good thing. I'm far too impatient to put up with that kind of stuff
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM
inferno7453

I liked it, it was the only one that made sense to me, and it wasn't all that hard. Plus I was always lucky on my Feebas hunt, finding him in my very first tries.

Challenges completed:
-

Youtube Channel (for Challenge Updates): http://www.youtube.com/user/inferno7453
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:42 AM
tealwing
Genie

Nature: Impish
The new system of fishing that we got in RSE was interesting. It actually got players more involved in fishing unlike the other series, where you just sit and wait for a Pokemon to bite the bait. The player had to be alert at all times in case the Pokemon got away.

Personally, I took the longest time trying to figure out how to fish when I first played Pokemon Sapphire. I even had to Google it.

And yes, I agree with OP - Magikarps do show up everywhere when you try to fish in RSE.
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealwing View Post
The new system of fishing that we got in RSE was interesting. It actually got players more involved in fishing unlike the other series, where you just sit and wait for a Pokemon to bite the bait. The player had to be alert at all times in case the Pokemon got away.

Personally, I took the longest time trying to figure out how to fish when I first played Pokemon Sapphire. I even had to Google it.

And yes, I agree with OP - Magikarps do show up everywhere when you try to fish in RSE.
Mhh, exactly. The problem is that after the hard hooking you still get a Magikarp. But I once caught a Lvl. 19 Wailord tho.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Pokedude3012
Slayer of Milotics

Nature: Jolly
It took me literally years to understand the fishing system in RSE. I always just went mental pressing the A button and then went more mental when it kept on failing. I was like 'What's that all about?' And then I spent decades trying to get a Feebas to no avail, and made a promise (that I have not yet broken) that I would never fish again.
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Azure Rathalδs
WOOP WOOP WOOP
Community Supporter

I didn't really fish much in RSE, but I found the fishing mechanic rather irritating. It was such a unnecessary addition to throw a wasteful minigame to fish for something, and I'm happy that D/P fixed the fishing and made it overall easier.

| TuMbLr [X] | ReViEwBlOg [X] |
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:17 PM
kraider
Unhatched Egg

I remember back in Blue, if Im right, I caught a Gyrados with the rod!
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:14 PM
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Love and hate feature for me - it made it more interactive and less boring, certainly, even if it was a rather simple minigame. And it felt more like a struggle too in fishing rather than just using the item, waiting, if nothing try again. But it didn't help that you had to pay attention all the time each time you wanted to fish (and that'd have made hunting for Feebas that much more time consuming and annoying!) Didn't miss its absence all too much.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:25 PM
lmcde22

it was annoying. enough said

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links