The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 29th, 2013 (12:57 AM).
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naughty

Kia Ora Pokemon fans!

I have started this thread because I want to get into the Pokemon game buzz and don't really know what game to start off with or what games the real Pokemon gamer's recommend for a newbie. Also what other games are really cool that you enjoy to play that I might like a lot (I'm into modern).

First things first: I obtained a heap of Pokemon ROMs for Nintendo DS, Gameboy Colour ROMs and Gameboy Advance Roms.

These are the games I have and emulators I have:

DS
Mysoft DS emultaor

Games:
Pokemon Dash
Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon Trozei

Gameboy Advance
VisualBoyAdvance.exe

Games:
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red
Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire
Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Sapphire

Gameboy Colour
VisualBoyAdvance.exe

Games:
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Crystal
Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Pinball
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Trading Card Game
Pokemon Yellow

If you can read this text, thank you.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old March 29th, 2013 (01:05 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Replace your random DS emulator with DeSmuME for better compatibility.
As for where to start... you can pretty much start whenever you want.
It depends if you ever played something before.
You can start with Fire Red/Leaf Green for the 1st generation nostalgia and then continue with Hoenn games and slowly continue generation after generation to generation 5 or even 6.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 29th, 2013 (01:25 AM).
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Replace your random DS emulator with DeSmuME for better compatibility.
It depends if you ever played something before.
The only game I ever played was Pokemon Gold - for a few days.
Also where could I get that emulator your talking about?

BTW I have no idea what gens are.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old March 29th, 2013 (03:11 AM).
Sven

Nature: Relaxed
Ok so, someone already asked this, and I believe I gave a good advice, so I will tell you what I told them.

1. If you want to play game with great/moder graphic, start with Gen 3(Emerald) or Gen 4(Platinum)

2. If you are fine old graphic, I suggest Gen 1 (Yellow, Blue, Red) or Gen 2 (Crystal)

However

3. If you want to play Pokemon just for it, catching Pokemon and finishing the game, then go with Gen 3/4.

4. If you, however, want to get that special "feel" about Pokemon, and fully enjoy and learn abut Pokemon, then I strongly advise you to start with Gen 1, then Gen2, 3 4 etc.

If you take up the gen 3 first, you are most likely going to find gen 1 and 2 outdated, slow and boring. Not because it really is, but because new generations are so uch ahead of it.

I am personally going to start whole main game from start, from 1 to...the end. With few pauses during which I will play some spinoff games.

And also. You might want to consider what kind of game you want. Game where you catch Pokemon, or where you just befriend them for mission (Pokemon ranger) or where you are an actual Pokemon (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series)
It would the best for you to check the list of Pokemon games, and their gameplays.

Anyway, welcome to Pokemon world, world where effing Zubats and Tentacools fun never ends! :D
Old March 29th, 2013 (07:04 AM).
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

Nature: Relaxed
For emulators, get DesMuMe. You can easily download it from the internet for free. Just Google up DesMuMe emulator and viola~ As for VisualBoyAdvance, it works perfectly fine. Go ahead with it!

As for games, I highly recommend you start with Red/Blue/Yellow first. Since you must be pretty new to Pokemon, it's the first generation and will get things rolling and will help you learn a lot more about the games in general. You can then proceed to the next generation and then the next and so on.

The order of the games is:

Red/Blue/Yellow -> Gold/Silver/Crystal -> Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald -> Pearl/Diamond/Platinum -> Black/White -> Black2/White2

in that order. You can play them in any order you prefer though. It's entirely up to you. c:

Also, there are a few spinoffs which I have played and can strongly recommend to you. They are Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (PMD): Explorers of Darkness/Time and PMD: Explorers of Sky. Darkness/Time are somewhat similar, but Time has a slightly different storyline. Although the concept isn't quite the same as the original Pokemon games, it's a must-play!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or anyone else. All the best! c:

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old March 29th, 2013 (07:34 AM).
Cossolotto32
Pokemon Collector!

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu View Post
BTW I have no idea what gens are.

Gens are generations...as in Kanto(Red,Blue,Firered,Leafgreen) is the first generation, then Johto(Gold, Silver, Crystal, HGSS), then Hoenn(Ruby, Saphirre, Emerald), then Shinnoh(Diamond, Peral, Platinum) and finally Unova( Black/White(2))

Each generation has its own set of pokemon that are native to that region!
Old March 29th, 2013 (02:53 PM).
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossolotto32 View Post
Gens are generations...as in Kanto(Red,Blue,Firered,Leafgreen) is the first generation, then Johto(Gold, Silver, Crystal, HGSS), then Hoenn(Ruby, Saphirre, Emerald), then Shinnoh(Diamond, Peral, Platinum) and finally Unova( Black/White(2))

Each generation has its own set of pokemon that are native to that region!
OMG thanks so much for that I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out gens.

Is this a good way to start
Red/Blue/Yellow then up?

Also I was wonder who here is an EXPERT on Pokemon trading cards, I have a few questions about that.

Thanks for the speedy reply's!

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old March 29th, 2013 (07:28 PM).
Alex
a Sky High Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Pokémon TCG is a whole other beast which isn't suited for the General Pokémon Gaming discussions.

I think you might get a bad impression with the first generation games, because they are incredibly unpolished. However, if you want to start in the old era and get a fulfilling feeling from the games, start with Gold or Silver (generation II). Those games are packed with awesomeness and goodies beyond what Yellow could ever dream to accomplish.

If you'd rather get the feel of the recent games, start with Ruby or FireRed for the Game Boy Advance. With the third generation came a whole overhaul of the games' graphics, storyline, and inner working.

It really all depends on your true taste. But, how can you find that out unless you try them both? :D
The Republic of Rome enjoyed only a brief existence thanks to your inept leadership. Rome has become a punching bag for every two-bit tribe in Italy. Once again we pay tribute to the Etruscans. Report to the chariot stable for duty as a wheel rim.
Old March 29th, 2013 (10:54 PM).
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheRose View Post
I think you might get a bad impression with the first generation games, because they are incredibly unpolished. :D
I agree!

Played out some of the gen I games today and I give them a "meh."

Tomorrow I am going to start with Pokemon Leaf Green, seem to have some good reviews on other game forums I go to.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old March 30th, 2013 (01:47 AM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
My idea for you brother would be this. Start with fR and lG; from there bump up to hG and sS, then continue to Ruby or Sapphire. Then to D or P and go the rest of the way up from there.

RB/GS are indeed unpolished and down-right broken. The reboots of RB and GS are much better and balanced. Plus you won't have to feel the harsh transition from Pokémon with natures to Pokémon without.
Old March 30th, 2013 (09:27 AM).
Cossolotto32
Pokemon Collector!

Nature: Jolly
I would personally start with HeartGold and SoulSilver. You start out in the second generation but after you beat it you can go back to the first, it's badass
Old March 30th, 2013 (09:51 AM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossolotto32 View Post
I would personally start with HeartGold and SoulSilver. You start out in the second generation but after you beat it you can go back to the first, it's badass
Right, but wouldn't it be better if he experienced Kanto before Johto? Instead of experiencing it post-game in hG and sS? Where he wouldn't really appreciate the changes in the 3 year gap?
Old March 30th, 2013 (02:06 PM).
Dansparce
is rly good

Send a message via Skype™ to Dansparce
Kia Ora fellow kiwi.

I'd recommend Fire Red or Leaf Green first. Since they're remakes of the original games you can get a really good feel for the series. Then you can continue with the 2nd gen remakes, Heart Gold or Soul Silver, all the way up until you reach Black 2 & White 2.

As for other games, have you tried the Fire Emblem series? Its a turn-based strategy game, with great character development and story. Be careful though, the games are fairly challenging and unforgiving when a character dies.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-7053-1635
Friend Safari: Pumkaboo, Shuppet and Golurk
Old March 30th, 2013 (04:22 PM).
Sydian
1000 forms of fear

Nature: Timid
You've gotten a ton of replies that I think you can work with. But next time you have a question about where to start in the series, please use the General Pokemon Gaming Q&A thread please!

Locked.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links