The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Scripts & Tutorials

Notices

Scripts & Tutorials This forum is for scripts and code, as well as all kinds of tutorials, software, tools and so forth. Remember to give credit!
The thread revival limit does not apply here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:39 PM
oxysoft

Last thread update: 2013, July 3rd

PokeSharp (for lack of a better name)

PokeSharp is a Pokemon engine written in C# using the XNA framework for rendering. The engine has been in development for quite some time however no in-game related things have been programmed yet, only the Map Editor has been worked on so far. However, Alot of the stuff written for the Map Editor will be reused for the Engine itself.

Purpose

The engine is being made to replace Pokemon Essentials. It will allow for a much better experience. Whenever I play a RPG maker based pokemon game, it alway feels weird and not like the original games and this is what I am trying to change in my Engine. The Map Editor is built for fast development and has only a small learning curve.

Cost

The engine will be absolutely free. I am 15 years old and doing this alone and completely out of free will, donations are greatly appreciated. Those who donate 5$ and up will have some sort of honorable mentions, I don't know yet. Perhaps a special rank on the forum when we have one or access to new builds of the engine and upcoming features.

Features

Engine Features:
- Day Night cycles with customizable colors
- C# Game component scripting
- Dynamically generated shadows for entities
- User-friendly easy to make events with all flow control statements
- Striving to make the engine feels EXACTLY like you were playing the real games, unlike with RPG Maker XP

Game Editor Features:
- All-in-one game editor, edit everything in it from maps to items to moves
- Import your own tilesets and entities
- Logic tile C# scripts
- Definable default project to load when the editor is opened
- 16 Layers of tiles
- Built-In script editor with syntax highlighting

FAQ

Q: What language is it written in? Does it use any framework?
A: C#, XNA framework

Q: What will it cost?
A: Free, will take donations

Q: How long have you been programming for?
A: Almost 2 years now. Started with Java and moved to C# about 2 months ago. C# is much more powerful. Screw Java. Java sucks. (for games at least...)

Q: What are your plans with regards to functions the future game developers will have once this engine is released? Rudimentary functions such as adding NPC's, giving Pokemon, giving items, etc. are expected but to which detail are you looking to giving default functions and actions for the developer to use?
A: Everything that has been done in Pokemon games from Pokemon Red to Pokemon Black and White 2 should be hopefully doable, whether it be an actual integrated feature of the engine or something you will have to code yourself with a LUA script.

Q: Will it be ported to the Xbox 360 seeing as it uses the XNA framework?
A: I don't think so. If yes, you will not be able to create projects on it, you will have to make them on the computer then submit them to a marketplace or something like that then it will be downloadable on the Xbox.

Medias

Engine
Spoiler:

Map Editor
Spoiler:

Credits
Pokemon Dawn / Krissel095 - same programming design patterns hierarchy reused + map editor design inspiration + some code from Dawn

Last edited by oxysoft; July 29th, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM
Rayquaza.
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos

Nature: Adamant
Looks pretty good so far. Don't think there have ever been any successful Pokémon Engines yet so if this makes the cut that would be great, keep up the good work and good luck.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
oxysoft

Almost done coding map connections

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Looks interesting.
I'm glad you chose to do it in C# instead of Java.
It's surely gonna be much better and more user friendly =) (Opinion as someone who pretty much hates Java xD)

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:59 AM
kudoms
Unhatched Egg

I really like your map editor, I might edit mine by removing the grid and just making the last tile pos purple as you did.
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:57 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I really like what you have going here, and I'd look forward to a preliminary release, especially because it's in XNA. Best of luck to you on this project c:

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:33 AM
oxysoft

Here's a preview of the map editor (no map viewing yet)

Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Rayquaza.

Wow, if you pull this off then RMXP will be almost completely dead.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
oxysoft

I started working on the map rendering in the map viewer

I also added a fill type of brush, as it can be nice sometime
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Serene Grace
ニャース

Nature: Relaxed
This looks incredibly promising, and from somebody who has witnessed a friend try to re-create a map editor from scratch in XNA I bet there's a lot of work that has been put into this already. I really like the fact that this works through C#. I've only just recently learnt C# language and even more recently familiarised myself with XNA - therefore I know how powerful it can be!

I do have a question, however: what are your plans with regards to functions the future game developers will have once this engine is released? Rudimentary functions such as adding NPC's, giving Pokemon, giving items, etc. are expected but to which detail are you looking to giving default functions and actions for the developer to use? A planned list will be nice, and some people who are prominent at XNA could even help you to write them up, allowing for a quicker build overall. I do believe that the more functions you add, the merrier!

P.S. That map editor looks beautiful!
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:23 AM
oxysoft

After almost 3 weeks of not giving any update, here is what I have been doing!

In response to Serene Grace above, I will give enough options to make a full game that mimics for example Fire Red or Emerald but i'm not sure about custom scripts that are ran on runtime and add full new functionalities and I have no idea how I would implement them.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Rayquaza.

This thing gets better with every screenshot. I really can't wait to see this dominating the whole of Game Dev.
Old March 27th, 2013, 06:00 PM
balaam
Unhatched Egg

Your editor looks great! I usually use Tiled, the opensource tilemap editor but you cant beat one you've made for really fitting your needs. C# is hard to beat for making tools fast!
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
Damn.
How have I been missing this, it's looking good.
How to see more, if it turns out good, as seen, I'll be using. <3
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:26 AM
oxysoft

I uploaded a video yesterday and I forgot to post it here, so here it is !

Old March 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Seeing your preview of a map editor is making me rather excited haha.

Will this be compatible with the Xbox XNA as well, or just the PC version? Seeing as I have an indie license, I wouldn't mind trying it on the Xbox once you have an initial release.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:43 AM
oxysoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Seeing your preview of a map editor is making me rather excited haha.

Will this be compatible with the Xbox XNA as well, or just the PC version? Seeing as I have an indie license, I wouldn't mind trying it on the Xbox once you have an initial release.
I doubt it will but who knows. You could download games from a marketplace i would make or something I assume. I doubt I would port the map editor to xbox though.
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:57 AM
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
I think the question should be whether it would be allowed. I don't think it would be allowed.
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:07 AM
oxysoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSpirit View Post
I think the question should be whether it would be allowed. I don't think it would be allowed.
That's what I was thinking too since the sprites don't belong to me (not even the name)

When I finish this project though, I plan on making it free and taking donations.
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
If it would be free, there would most likely be no problem. If you were to sell it...

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

You necessarily don't have to make a Pokémon game out of a Pokémon engine. Since it's all open-source (I think), you can always adapt it in various ways. But I think it's feasible, because from what I'm seeing, the map editor is part of windows and not part of the actual game executable, am I correct?

Old March 29th, 2013, 11:56 AM
oxysoft

Quote:
You necessarily don't have to make a Pokémon game out of a Pokémon engine. Since it's all open-source (I think), you can always adapt it in various ways. But I think it's feasible, because from what I'm seeing, the map editor is part of windows and not part of the actual game executable, am I correct?
You are correct, it is a windows form.
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Team Fail
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxysoft View Post
You are correct, it is a windows form.
Shouldn't be too hard to port over to the Xbox. All that'd need to be adjusted is the actual game engine to utilise Xbox hardware (Like the game controller as opposed to a keyboard) and whatnot. If I had time on my hands, and a laptop, I'd try porting it, but lack of time would get to me.

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:03 PM
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemoner2500 View Post
If it would be free, there would most likely be no problem. If you were to sell it...
Well, if you put it on the Xbox store, it would be in a commercial environment even if you don't sell it so I don't think it would be allowed.
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:34 PM
guitargodd97
Video Game Creator

Nature: Relaxed
This looks really sick! I'm going to watch this really closely. The map editor is amazing! I can't wait to see what you come up with when you get around to creating the battle system!

Sponsored Links