The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 29th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Gyardosamped
entering snake habitat
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to Gyardosamped

Advertise here
Quote:
North Korea is entering a "state of war" with South Korea, its state-run news service reports, further escalating the rhetoric against its southern neighbor and the United States.

The statement, carried by the communist country's KCNA news agency, says inter-Korean relations will be dealt with in a wartime manner.

"From this time on, the North-South relations will be entering the state of war and all issues raised between the North and the South will be handled accordingly," the statement said, according to Reuters.

CBS News correspondent Major Garrett spoke to a top White House official Friday night who said communication between the U.S. and South Korea is on a nearly constant basis and while North Korea is in a mindset of war, the White House doesn't think it's actually going to happen.

North Korean saber rattling is common every spring, Garrett reports, when the United States and South Korea engage in military exercises.

U.S. officials, however, concede there is no way of knowing exactly what the new 30-year-old leader Kim Jong Un will do and when. Earlier, he claimed he was ready to "settle accounts" with the United States.

Christopher Hill, a former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea, said all the war talk is "bluster," but he worried about things going too far with a leader the U.S. is unfamiliar with.

"I think the real concern is not so much that they're going to aim a missile at Waikiki in Hawaii, but rather there is going to be some miscalculation on the Korean peninsula or just off shore from the Korean peninsula," said Hill, who oversaw international talks over North Korea in 2005. "North Koreans are getting very close to the line, and my concern is that they'll stumble over it and into some kind of conflict."

In this photo, Kim's maps appear to highlight the movement of United States' 7th Fleet, which patrols Pacific waters.

CBS News asked the White House official about the practicality of attacking the U.S. 7th Fleet, and the official said "that's possible, if Kim Jong Un is playing a 'Call of Duty' video game."

Additionally, a state-run news report Friday announced the North Koreans are ready to strike several targets in the Pacific, including U.S. bases in Guam, South Korea and Hawaii.

A lot of the rhetoric, Hill said, also has to do with appealing to the North Korean people.

"I think there is a lot of concern about how they react to crisis, and it's clear that North Koreans are trying to make Kim Jong Un kind of acceptable to the North Korean people as a real tough kind of leader," he said. "In so doing, I think they're going to push this situation right to the limit, and the concern is they'll go over."
Source: CBS Article

For the past few months, North Korea has been constantly making vicious threats towards both South Korea and the United States. Many analyists believe, however, that it's all just bluster and that NK is still very far from actually creating a nuclear weapon capable of reaching any U.S. island in the Pacific or the U.S. mainland.

What do you think about this similar threat released by the KCNA today? The North and South are still technically in a state of war because a peace treaty was never created when the Korean War ended in 1953. Do you think this new threat is just all bluff and another way for Kim Jong Un to build up hate in his country towards South Korea and the United States?

Last edited by Gyardosamped; March 29th, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Caelus
Gone

North Korea is really getting on my nerves now. I really hope we don't get into a war with them - also hope South Korea doesn't either - but they're pretty much asking for one by the sounds of it.
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Lance
Pokémon Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
It's all rhetoric and saber rattling. Unless Jong Un has a death wish, which I'm sure the war hawk neocons of the Republican Party would happily oblige.
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:39 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Yum, that Fallout 4 amusement park sounds like something I'd pay for.

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I've said this numerous times before - North Korea is askin for an ass kickin.

I think I better stock up on popcorn and soda. At this rate, things may get entertaining real fast.

Come play Runescape
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Mario The World Champion
Slice through the evil, Gundam
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
If this does escalate, part of me wonders if it's a good idea to mess with NK since they boast about having an army with over a million men in it. On the other hand, if NK is asking for it... there's no problem launching a few cruise missiles at a few planes of interest.

Banner made by Angela || Pair: Lucy
Friends: Lucy, Angela, Jen, Sammi-san, Jeremy the Sweetie, Signomi
Fanfiction.net page || DeviantART Page || Twitter || NaNoWriMo Page

Ash Ketchum: Formula One Driver
The Pokemon Tower's Best In Category Crossover Award Winner October 2005
3DS Friend Code: 0232-8258-5085
Friend Safari: - Meditite, Pancham, Riolu
Shiny Value: 1672
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naughty
Oh no, NK is going to fire there war head at the US and the US govt will send there ones out, then we will all be bathed in radioactive isotopes have our cells mutate and die.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old March 29th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
North Korea won't get far. The fact that they've isolated themselves like they have has put them into an unfavorable position. South Korea and the USA can easily overcome anything North Korea does, including missile interception.

I'm just gonna join Mr. X and grab some popcorn and junk food. It'll be the fastest World War we've had. Except only a few countries are in it.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Went
wonderful frog seed

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
A few days ago, a nuclear US plane flew over NK and their defences couldn't detect it. They could have blown up the entire place in pieces if they had wanted to. So if I were NK (and, again, China and Russia, their neighbours who certainly don't want a nuclear war going on in their backyard), I'd be very wary of starting any trouble myself. Suicide is not a good way to go.
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Naturalles
OHHHHHHHH!!

So, will it be the fastest WWIII soon?

I'm worried about my South Korean pen pal.
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Blade_of_darkness
War Machine
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to Blade_of_darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalles View Post
So, will it be the fastest WWIII soon?

I'm worried about my South Korean pen pal.
I really don't think you need to worry, NK's threats are little more than empty words, & I swear by this saying: Words will only take you so far.

Also, if they do end up using what miserable excuse of a nuclear arsenal they have against the world, the reprisal we'll give them will be swift & brutal.

^ The last thing you see before you die ^
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Naturalles
OHHHHHHHH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_of_darkness View Post
I really don't think you need to worry, NK's threats are little more than empty words, & I swear by this saying: Words will only take you so far.

Also, if they do end up using what miserable excuse of a nuclear arsenal they have against the world, the reprisal we'll give them will be swift & brutal.
True, the threats seemed pathetic to my eyes. Besides that, it doesn't seem possible for NK's nuclear missiles to reach the US.
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:57 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
North Korea won't get far. The fact that they've isolated themselves like they have has put them into an unfavorable position. South Korea and the USA can easily overcome anything North Korea does, including missile interception.

I'm just gonna join Mr. X and grab some popcorn and junk food. It'll be the fastest World War we've had. Except only a few countries are in it.
And it's the only one where you have to pay a ticket to watch the live footage.

Old March 31st, 2013, 05:31 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

They've already "declared war" something like five times since the end of the Korean War. They haven't done anything. All the analysts say they're not going to do anything.

Call me when they do something (e.g., never).

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:14 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

As far as I know, this is the first threat from their new leader. He's not as... um... sane as his father was (Who himself was missing quite a few screws) so we never really know if hes bull****ting us, or preparing to shove a knife in our backs while we're to busy laughing.

Come play Runescape
Old March 31st, 2013, 08:11 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Heh, I like the CoD reference.

But no seriously, if you ask me this is all just way too overrated. I mean, the North Koreans have threatened to attack the US how many times now? Yeah. I'm sure that they want to, I really am, but let's face the facts here, no one is that suicidal. First it was a threat to fire a nuclear missile in which case we can all agree that if and when nuclear war breaks out, there is no doubt that the US can level North Korea within a day by measure of possibility and a week by measure of opportunity and otherwise practicality. So the standing point here is that I seriously doubt any nuclear missiles are gonna be flying anywhere any time soon.

On the topic of military war, well I just have to point out that threats remain threats until they're pulled through. And as such, I very much doubt that anything will happen. Can it happen? Yes, definitely. Do people, and in particular North Koreans, want it to happen? Again, yes. But will it happen is the real question here and its something I'd really not give too much credibility to considering, well, no one in their right mind would think a war with the US could possibly go anywhere good for anyone.

Old April 1st, 2013, 07:04 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
I really think people should be more worried about NK, they are making these threats for a reason and so far we have no idea what that reason might be.. I've seen alot of fights lost cause people didnt take their enemies serious... I dunno if they will use their nukes but they have a plan I'm sure of it.

I dont think russia or china will stand by n let NK be annihilated without doing anything..
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:40 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

But I don't think any country would stand by and let another country be annihilated without doing anything. Nuclear armageddon has never happened before, and it's very unlikely when you have two countries so different in power like the USA and the DPRK. There hasn't even been a standoff yet. Many people say the closest the world's ever come to nuclear war was during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I don't think the US military and CIA are in crisis mode yet. While, yes the two situations are very different, I just wanted to demonstrate that it's not crisis mode. Plus, taking from the Cuban missile crisis experience, there would probably be lots of secret negotiations that go on when a crisis does occur. I think it's very easy to avoid war when neither party can see reasonable gain. Compare this to the experience of the two World Wars, in which case the parties involved felt, when they entered it, that the wars would be winnable and come out as a net benefit.
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:53 PM
Went
wonderful frog seed

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Continuing from that reasoning: what does NK win by lanching a nuke to somewhere? Nothing. Zero. If anything, they will win absolute annihilation. So 0 gain and possible infinite loss. Sounds reasonable to go ahead.

On the other hand, what will they win by threatening with a nuke? They'll get to start negotiations and maybe even get food in exchange for "good behaviour", as most of the country is starving.

If you can extort someone into getting what you want, specially if that person is so much more powerful than you, it's foolish to go on with the threat- you'll lose your chance to get things in return!
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:03 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
This just in, more North Korea news, I really think they have a plan we just cant see it yet...
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/02/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...video.cnn.html

IMO You dont taunt one of the most powerful countries in the world if you dont have a plan because like went said above what would they gain?...

Last edited by KingCharizard; April 1st, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
"When the North Koreans get shoes and lights, then I'll start to worry.
When they get shoes with lights in them, then I'll worry."

- The Skeptical Libertarian
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Gyardosamped
entering snake habitat
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Gyardosamped
Apparently, early Thursday morning (North Korean time), NK made this statement on their state broadcasting news station:

Quote:
"The moment of explosion is approaching fast. No one can say a war will break out in Korea or not and whether it will break out today or tomorrow," North Korea's state news agency KCNA declared in its latest broadside. "The responsibility for this grave situation entirely rests with the U.S. administration and military warmongers keen to encroach upon the DPRK's sovereignty and bring down its dignified social system with brigandish logic."
Also, on Wednesday, North Korea decided to disallow entry to South Korean employees who worked in a joint industrial complex between the two Korea's. This industrail complex raised a lot of money for both Korea's, so it's definitely something that has caused alarm because NK closing it off to SK workers does not benefit them (NK) at all.

This also comes as the United States has placed missile defense systems off the coast of Korea, as well as near Guam, which is a U.S. territory in the Pacific.

NK's rhetoric has definitely vamped up within the past few weeks, and although many people believe it's just bluster and all, the U.S., SK, China, and Russia (among the most important few in regards to NK) have certainly made their remarks and their presence known.

We'll have to wait to see what happens.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Went View Post
Continuing from that reasoning: what does NK win by lanching a nuke to somewhere? Nothing. Zero. If anything, they will win absolute annihilation. So 0 gain and possible infinite loss. Sounds reasonable to go ahead.

On the other hand, what will they win by threatening with a nuke? They'll get to start negotiations and maybe even get food in exchange for "good behaviour", as most of the country is starving.

If you can extort someone into getting what you want, specially if that person is so much more powerful than you, it's foolish to go on with the threat- you'll lose your chance to get things in return!
I don't see anyone caving to them. Sort of a "we don't negotiate with terrorists" thing.

And I don't think North Korea is operating with a full deck
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

You know what guy? I just thought of this.

What if there's an internal crisis? Like there's another famine. They've already begun mobilizing the people, getting them to do air raid and evacuation drills. Maybe it's to move attention away from internal troubles?

Or what if there's a power struggle among the North Korean elite? Kim Jong-eun is a new leader, and this might be a good opportunity for some party faction to oust their enemies. Or maybe ultra-militaristic generals want more power in the government so they start these aggressive movements. Kim, not wanting to appear like he's backing down, becomes aggressive to foreign media to pander to this faction. Kind of like how Mitt Romney would have to say stupid things to keep Tea Partiers happy.

Mao Zedong started the Cultural Revolution that tore up the country, but allowed him to destroy his political enemies. This tells me that the North Koreans might be taking one out of his playbook to improve their own power inside their country. So perhaps changing the balance of power in their own favour is worth closing down the Kaesong Complex. Or these are the ultranationalist faction that don't like cooperation with the South in the first place, and so don't see Kaesong closing as much as a sacrifice. There are always ideological nuts in every country that see their agenda to be more important than the national interest.

So if this happens to be the case, open war would be unintentional because that would jeopardize the power they're trying so hard to obtain. However, this would be a really big gamble they're trying to achieve. Thoughts?
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

I was watching CNN and some talking head had said "North Korea is crazy, but not suicidal".

No... I think they're suicidal. North Korea is already pretty content with having a country of starving people. They don't really have anything to lose here

Sponsored Links

Advertise here