The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Axelmorph

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
So, since I've seen a lot of people using the VBA emulator to play any kinds of old school pokèmon games, I've decided to make a guide on how to obtain the best quality and performance from it.

1 - So first of all we'll look through "Options" in the VBA emulator.
- The first thing you wanna look for is the "Video" options; I suggest setting the screen size to 2 x 2, it is a good resolution for the game texture and also works for older PC's.

- The second thing would be the "Sound" option, look down, make sure that the sound is set to 44Khz, this will provide your game a good sound quality, especially if you're using Headphones.

- The third thing will be the "Gameboy" option, tick the CGB/GBC setting if it isn't already and also tick the "Real Colors" setting.

-The last step is how to make your game's filtering in HD. It's pretty simple, go under "Options" then move your cursor to the "Fliter" option and look down, you should see the "hq2x" option, tick it, your game's colors will be improved and you will see every single detail of it in HD.

2 - Fixing the "White screen" problem.
- In many pokèmon games there will be a chance for you to encounter a white screen when you load the rom, the problem's easly fixed, all you have to do is go under "Options", "Emulator" and then move your cursor over the "Save type" option, choose from 64K to 128K then simply reset your ROM by pressing CTRL + R.

3 - Low FPS.
- If you're using an old PC/Laptop the best option is to turn off Vsync and Sound, this will greatly improve your VBA's performance.

I hope it helped, if there are any questions referring to this topic, just ask.
Old March 29th, 2013, 05:13 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Nature: Quiet
What version are you using?
I'm using the one from coolrom.com and I can't get past the white screen in Pokemon Light Platinum even with flash 128k.
It works on my Kindle Fire perfectly though, and I didn't need to touch the settings.
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Axelmorph

I am using the 1.8.0.603 Version, the latest. It should work on the version that I have, try to search for it.
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:12 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

I have the same one. I wonder what the problem is... :\
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Axelmorph

Hmm... Is it beta 3 one? Try checking that, also, it might fix the problem re-downloading the VBA emulator.
Old March 31st, 2013, 04:43 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Just use VBA-M and don't care about the old, lousy VBA =D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 31st, 2013, 04:59 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

I checked and it is... O.o
It's ok because since they work on android I dont need to sit at my computer with this problem. I play hacks on the go
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:56 PM
Axelmorph

I've downloaded my version of VBA from emulator zone. The file may differ even though it's the same name and version, it can depend from where you download it in some cases.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
GoGoJJTech
アルファ近く

Ill try once my computer is on
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:40 AM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Nature: Modest
Nice little guide for people having issues with VBA(-M) on their computers!

Just to be a bit technical. Even when considering the forced display change the hq2x filter does (or similar ones, for that matter), the calculated resolution will still be below 720p (which is what many consider to be the minimum for HD; others have it higher at 1080p).

Plus, I find the effect of it to be quite jarring, as certain pixels might be handled messily and make parts of the image look off. This is especially true for older games. But that's just me.

Who says hacks have to radically changes things up from their base games?
Red doesn't necessarily think so. He's literally spinning in circles thinking of a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Want to see what he has in mind? Click him for a throwback worth experiencing!
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Wow, great advice for playing games on VBA. Now I can play Gameboy games without any problem.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old April 29th, 2013, 01:19 AM
tealwing
Genie

Nature: Impish
I'm using your settings for the VBA now and the graphics & sounds are greatly improved from before. Thanks for sharing!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here