The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:43 PM
CharizardIsADragon
Unhatched Egg

I want a character that's a thief and I can't think what Pokemon would best suit the role. I'm thinking Purrloin's my best bet at the moment.
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:31 PM
Dansparce
is rly good

Send a message via Skype™ to Dansparce
What about a Sneasel/Weavile? They're both very stealthy and cunning Pokemon, with sharp claws perfect for cutting through glass.

Or you could use a Zorua/Zoroark since their ability allows the character to have an instant disguise or hidden trap.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-7053-1635
Friend Safari: Pumkaboo, Shuppet and Golurk
Old April 1st, 2013, 07:12 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Pretty much any sneaky Pokemon that does well in the darkness. Even a Ghost-type, like Gastly and its evolution line or mischievous Misdreavus, could be used. Really, think of the first Pokemon that comes to mind when you think "sneaky" and go with that one. Or dig a little deeper and use one that people might not expect but still fits the role.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:26 AM
Impo
Vital Spirit
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I think almost any Pokemon can be portrayed as a thief, so you long as you describe them properly.

For some reason I can see a Jigglypuff being a thief, despite it being all pink and cute

so it's really all up to you!

3DS FC: 3411-1566-9347
Paired to Naya Rivera & ShiningRaichu

Old April 4th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

Anything could be a thief - and indeed, there's probably some comic value in having a lolloping, ungainly Wigglytuff thief - but if you want a Pokémon that visually and conceptually (i.e. in the idea behind it) will suit thievery then it's probably best to stick to the Dark-types, with a few notable exceptions.

Purrloin is explicitly stated to be a compulsive thief in its Pokédex entry; a Zorua or Zoruark, themed around deception, could be envisioned as a thief, too. Meowth is another (non-Dark) kleptomaniac - several of its Pokédex entries state that it hoards shiny things, especially coins. Murkrow also like shiny things and apparently steal from Meowth hoards even as Meowth steal from theirs; their R/S entry states that they try to steal rings, too. Sableye eat gems, so might conceivably steal precious stones if they can't find any in the usual way.

It's worth pointing out that the only Pokémon to learn Thief by level-up are Poochyena, Mightyena, Lombre and Kecleon, at least one of which seems like a shady sort of character to me.

Also, Cacturne always puts me in mind of someone waiting to mug you, though I'm not quite sure why. I have a feeling they probably beat you up and eat bits of you rather than steal stuff from you.

To summarise: you could make any Pokémon a thief, if you wanted to. But if you want something that visually and conceptually supports that character, there are plenty of potential candidates.

F.A.B.

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
Why don't you make a Pokemon very unlikely to be a thief but physically suitable be one?

For example, Joltik, the world's smallest Pokemon, is cute but can go around unnoticed.
Also, you could use sudowoodo, which could do the same as Zoroark/Zorua.

Pairs - -
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Sam89
always right except when wrong

Jigglypuff puts you to sleep, Scrafty, Zoroark, Weavile, Misdreavus, Meowth, Murkrow and any other Dark type.
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

The Writer's Lounge has a rule against posting in threads that are over a month old. Check the date of the last post in a thread before responding. Double-check the rules of a section to see their rules on bumping old threads.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links