The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

View Poll Results: Who do you like more, Cilan or Brock
Brock 66 75.00%
Cilan 22 25.00%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Uhm, for me it's Brock. I really like Cilan, but I can't stand Brock not being in the anime. People who are really into Pokemon will understand what I mean. Change is good, but Brock was as much a main protagonist as Ash was, and losing him changed the show for the worse. :(

Old October 16th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hannah
exceptionally ordinary

Nature: Calm
Brock, defs. I've loved Brock for as long as I can remember. I didn't really like Black and White until Homika/Roxie came out, and I think of Brock as an imaginary-older-brother-kind-of-guy. I also love the fact that he's obsessed with all the pretty girls they meet.

i ii iii iv
you're just as
sane as i am

Old October 18th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Jalsy
Kkaebsong

Nature: Quiet
Brock. I grew up watching and like the original trio.. and he's been that long with Ash.
Though I find Cilan quite interesting too. I guess he isn't that bad.
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sandshrew4
Also known as Sandwich

Nature: Careful
I hate Cilan. He is really annoying, and since hes there, we have to see his retarded "rival". Even the word conesseuss or whatever makes me want to go break something. I agree I didnt like where brock was going but Cilan is much worse. He's kinda corny and whenever he starts "evaluating" a pokemon I want to punch the tv or computer.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:22 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Brock. Cilan is just really, really annoying. =/
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapras* View Post
Brock. Cilan is just really, really annoying. =/
This.

Brock has always been one of my favorite characters, so seeing him leave was a huge disappointment for me. His constant obsession over girls never got old to me, and they always had some sort of way to pull him away from the ladies, be it Misty or Max pulling him away by the ear or Croagunk using Poison Jab. He's also just always kind of been the one to watch over the group and act as a sort of older brother to them, seeing as he has experience with this having to take care of all of his younger brothers and sisters.

Cilan is all right at times, and there are moments where he makes me laugh, but most of the time he's just very annoying. I personally don't care for his "evaluation time" thing.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:51 AM
ranso33

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ranso33 Send a message via Skype™ to ranso33
Brock by far! For me he had a bigger part in the "gang" then Ash himself. He was neutral, didn't go after gyms nor contests, and he was way funnier then every character put together.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:57 AM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeveon View Post
This.

Brock has always been one of my favorite characters, so seeing him leave was a huge disappointment for me. His constant obsession over girls never got old to me, and they always had some sort of way to pull him away from the ladies, be it Misty or Max pulling him away by the ear or Croagunk using Poison Jab. He's also just always kind of been the one to watch over the group and act as a sort of older brother to them, seeing as he has experience with this having to take care of all of his younger brothers and sisters.

Cilan is all right at times, and there are moments where he makes me laugh, but most of the time he's just very annoying. I personally don't care for his "evaluation time" thing.
Took the words right out of my mouth, head, keyboard?
Cilan is freaking AAH! with his Evaluation Time, it's so annoying, I like Brock chasing girls and failing better, it's less cheesy and less glitterhappyfuntimemakesyouwanttojumpoffacliff-y annoying.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM
EmberFiraga
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
I like Brock much more than Cilan. Cilan is kinda annoying. I feel like they are overdoing his personality in the series. Brock did have his hunting after girls but it wasn't as overdone. He had more layers to his personality.
Old January 1st, 2013, 04:20 PM
Solacen
Unhatched Egg

I like both. Sure Brock could get annoying when he chased after woman at bad times (like when Officer Jenny was doing her job) but thats just part of who he was.
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:45 PM
pokemanmdj
Random Passerby

I like Brock a lot more. He had a fantastic personality, and his role in the anime fit him perfectly. He did some pretty funny things. (Drying pan, anyone?)

Cilan is annoying, but I don't think we've given him enough time yet. Maybe later in the anime, he'll become more likeable.
Old February 12th, 2013, 02:26 PM
zdude18
Lone Wolf

cilan has the same function as brock in the series, and the original does it better. Love the paradise song and brock's obsession with girls. haha
White 2: 3397 3474 0556
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Toutebelle
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I'd pick Brock, definitely. I think the anime is making Cilan a little pretentious with his connossieur attitude and his flamboyant behavior. I still like the game Cilan, since he is quite different.
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Anna
pants on the floor
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I like Brock better. Cilan's really getting kind of tiresome with his repeated gags and immense knowledge and passion for certain things.

Whoops wait what?

I do love them both. I grew up with having Brock around and he was a good character. He was funny and knowledgeable and was the "mentor" of the team. He was amusingly into the ladies and very good in his chosen field. Brock wasn't too boring and wasn't in the background too much, but he was also not involved with events as much as he could have been. And his shenanigans became wayyyy over-the-top in DP and weren't balanced enough with the serious mentor personality.

Cilan, though! Cilan is flamboyant and always over-the-top and passionate and enthusiastic and involved. His tasting time wears a bit sometimes- but, being a Connoisseur, that does happen to be his job. And it's not like he just does one thing all the time- each tasting is different and there are many different times which have nothing to do with his job and all to do with his hobbies. He's so very enthusiastic about all kinds of things and has a wide range of knowledge, though he's actually still learning along the journey. And he's a skilled trainer as well, but still struggles and loses enough for it not to be a rarity. Cilan's actually a well-rounded and well-used character. I'd personally just like some backstory and explicit development for him.

hi I've got the #1 fan emblem because of Cilan and I could go on and on and on but I shall spare you
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Cilan will always be my favorite. Really love the food puns, and he has one of my top 25 favorite Pokemon - Pansage!

I got really annoyed then bored with the gag of Brock falling in love with every cute girl he saw. Liked Brock in the first season, rest of the seasons he was in, he got boring along the way.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenges - Giving Challenges a quick break so I can enjoy OR/AS
Random Challenge - Badges: 6/8 - game: X - Location: Route 16
Random Challenge - Badges: 3/8 - game: Y - Location: Shalour City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 5/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 14
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Drew
erase the noise.
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I prefer Cilan to Brock, however both are repetitive after awhile.

Cilan is at least more amusing for a chunk of time towards the start of Black and White. Brock was only new and shiny for the first season that he was around, and not even that. I think Brock has less to his character than Cilan does, and I also think that Cilan has a better design. He's more interesting to me, especially in the Japanese version where his script is bit more lively, and his voice is Mamoru Miyano, which is a plus. xD
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Alex
Get down! Get up again!
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Why Brock? Ugh... I had a list of like seven reasons why BW sucked when it first came out, and this was one of them.
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
Yea-ah-nah,
innocence is over
over
ignorance is spoken
spoken
confidence is broken
broken
sustenance is stolen
stolen
arrogance is potent
potent
I repent tomorrow
tomorrow
I suspend my sorrow
sorrow
a romance has fallen
fallen
recommend you borrow
borrow
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Synerjee
A madman with a box.

I personally like both of Ash's male travel companions, Brock and Cilan.

Firstly, I like Brock for his girl-chasing antics that always end up in failures. xD I also find his knowledge about what he does professional and a great inspiration. He had always been a great companion and mentor to his travelling buddies and always looked out for them no matter what. Also, being a great cook to both humans and Pokemon is always a huge plus! xD It is known that he can be depended on as a good friend.

On the other hand, I like Cilan as he is a great all-rounded trainer overall. With him being a Gym leader, it is no exception that he is a great battler as well as that he loves Pokemon and treats them as his friends. I also like his enthusiastic and flamboyant personality. His lively gestures, his many passions and his making the world a place to test out and use his skills as a connoisseur make the anime enjoyable to watch. Oh, and he can cook too! xD

Although I was sad to see Brock go, Cilan was, in my opinion, indeed a good replacement for the male counterpart of the travelling trio. I hope to see both of them come together sometime in the anime! They would be best buddies, I'm sure of it. xD

pairs | twitter | showdown | lake valor | pc family
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I could do without either of them to be honest, but as it stands, I prefer Cilan over Brock. Cilan just feels like a fresh of breath air ever since Brock left the group, especially after his poor arc in Sinnoh. Besides that, I've never really felt like Brock had a real purpose on the show. His dream was to become a top Pokémon Breeder, but the writers rarely ever gave him anything to do to achieve his goal or move forward. Whereas with Misty, May, Dawn, and Iris, they each have goals where as a viewer we can actually see them moving forward.

With Cilan, he's already an A-Class Pokémon Connoisseur, so we know that he's traveling with the group for the adventure and to experience new things as well as expand his skills as a connoisseur. Also, unlike with Brock, the writers actually put Cilan's skills into use when it comes to certain obstacles. It doesn't feel like he's just there for the sake of cooking and being a voice of reason for the group. Not to mention, when it comes to tournaments, they actually let Cilan get involved! Brock has only had the chance maybe a few times in the past, but hardly enough.

In terms of character, Brock's always seemed rather dull or flat compared to everyone else and his attraction to girls grew tired. Fast. Cilan, on the other hand, is more of a well rounded and versatile character in comparison to Brock. It allows him to be more engaged with what's happening on the show. Plus, I will admit, I do love his over-the-top personality.

tl;dr Cilan > Brock, but I could do without either of them.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:25 AM
Sling
Thanks for contributing

Cilan. Sorry Brock, let me know when you have green hair and a monkey. Then I'll vote for you.

*walks away*
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
Cilan. Why? Well, Brock was awesome in the beginning but, guess what? He got stale quickly and not to mention, extremely annoying his antics and constant girl thing got on my nerves. I love Cilan and I find him far more funnier than Brock especially since he's literally and everything Sommilier. That always cracks me up and especially his facial reactions. Brock? Yeah, not so much.
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old March 17th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Diversity Pumpkin
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Serious
Brock is way better than Cilan
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:08 AM
Rayziken 2
Beginning ROM Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshin5 View Post
Now for the characters themselves I find Cilan more interesting as he brings the dynamic of different traits such as a Detective, Fishermen, Stamp Collector, cooking fanatic. For me Brock didn't have that, but I did have admiration for his care giving big brother trait for not only his companions but pokemon they had and or encountered.
As true as that is, three of those four things were already done with characters in the DP series. Looker was a Detective, Brock served as the cook (not a fanatic, but fanatics are usually annoying), and James collects Bottle caps (which aren't stamps, but are still collected).

Personally, I prefer Brock because - if you can't already tell - I just don't like Cilan. Brock's 'pervertedness' never got old, but I find Cilan annoying when he's trying to be funny. His voice is also really annoying and grates on me.

And yes, I do know that Brock got a bit stale in the DP series, but when he is given emphasis he is a good character and far more likeable than Cilan as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler:
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:26 AM
BenGames,Films, and More!
Are you not entertained?

Nature: Serious
I like Brock better. Not because he uses a frying pan as a drying pan, but up until the Johto Journeys he was way more mature than Cilan. He was also very responsible because in his debut he had lots of children to take care of. I thought the anime was getting cheesy when they got to Sinnoh. Compare the first episode aired to the most recent one aired. Brock is better. You all know it.

YouTube Channel
Deviant Art
BGFM Forums
Take a quiz about me!
I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
If you say "pls" or "plz" because it's shorter than "please", I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:30 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Brock. He's pevertness, father-like character are the things I like in him. The anime has never been the same without him.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links