The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:04 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteSandwich View Post
I recently evolved my Swablu to Altaria in Platinum. I do not,however,know what to nickname this fluffy dragon.What should I nickname it?
YOU MUST NAME IT SYDIAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderBrandon View Post
Saw my post got moved into this. Still hoping for a answer.

Well, it does work. I tried to trade over a magikarp with no stats, abilities, EV/IVs and it worked (along with 5 other Pokemon that where rotting in my box).
Pokémon that have been inserted through cheating are never legal. If you mean will the real game not reject them, then yes, they can be traded. Wifi battles will not allow them in if they are irregular though. If you mean is it legal as in a law in your country, I'm not sure, it'd probably vary where you are. Just never trade Pokémon obtained through cheating here, well unless you want an infraction.
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:50 AM
EnderBrandon
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Pokémon that have been inserted through cheating are never legal. If you mean will the real game not reject them, then yes, they can be traded. Wifi battles will not allow them in if they are irregular though. Just never trade Pokémon obtained through cheating here, well unless you want an infraction.
Thanks for the info.

I already tried to partipicate in a Wifi-Battle on White with that Magicarp, and it didnt work. I assume if i breed my Pokemon (For example: Wailer) and my main breeding Pokemon does know a Egg move, it will learn it?

Quote:
If you mean is it legal as in a law in your country, I'm not sure, it'd probably vary where you are.
I dont know if you mean owning a R4 Card (because that is legal in all countries), or owning cheated Pokemon (that is illegal). Afcourse i know the difference about it, dont think im going to abuse it or something.

Just a question to add on- I assume if you keep your cheated Pokemon on the game you made it (for example, i cheat a shiny Dialga on pokemon Platinum), and keep it on that game, not trade it/abuse it, its ok? I wont know why this shouldnt be allowed.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:01 PM
shae
Veteran Trainer

Nature: Brave
I am going to start a new pearl game soon and i need a team. I do not plan on using my starter.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Aslan
the pretender

Well it's hard to decide you a team, because everyone will probably most likely be giving all sorts of suggestions. I'm not sure what sort of Pokemon you like working with as in the bulky type, generally good attackers, a diverse team or anything really. However without further ado I can recommend you put at least one of these Pokemon on your team, seeing as I've used them before and they're pretty good depending on how long you can wait to get certain team members.

Well firstly for good Pokemon you can catch rather early in the game I'd recommend a Shinx which evolves into Luxio then Luxray. It's the earliest electric-type you can probably find in-game but it still packs a punch and can do wonders if you give it the right moveset. It has access to a huge range of attacks that consist of the many fangs, strong electric-type attacks and even moves such as Superpower. However there are still some other fantastic electric-types out there such as Electivire and Magnezone but you'll have to wait far into the game probably to get your hands on one. For Magnezone you can only find it's first stage evolution at Fuego Ironworks which you can't access without Surf and for Electivire, you can't find Electrabuzz until right before the last gym. So yeah depends how patient and willing you are to get your team members.

Seeing as you won't be using your starter, you'll still definitely need a water-type. In fact I find it ridiculously hard to play the games without one. For a good water type I'd suggest either Floatzel or Gyarados, both with different types and interesting movesets. Golduck is pretty decent as well, but usually I use Empoleon seeing as it's the most powerful at least in my eyes.

And I would recommend you get a flying type as well. Staraptor is powerful but the normal/flying typing isn't too diverse so I'd say you should try Crobat! Crobat is a wonderful addition to all the teams I've placed it in, it's tricky to train in the beginning as a Zubat but trust me it's definitely worth it in the end. n__n

Other than that all I can say is your team should most likely have a water-type, a flying, an electric and essentially all the basic types that make a good team. Good luck! n_n
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:53 PM
mimimahboul
More than Awesome

Nature: Jolly
I think you will have to get a Staraptor a Rapidash and Turtwig would a great choice because when he becomes a Torterra,he can knock out fire types easily because he'll be half grass,half ground.
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:50 PM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
Please use the 4th Gen Help Thread for questions like these.

[ Moved ]
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:13 AM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to ISNorden
I've reached the end of Victory Road in Platinum, but can't get past the NPC boy who's blocking the exit. (You know, the kid who talks about keeping my sights on winning the League...) I'm guessing that I've omitted some mission further back in the area, but have no idea what the mission is. Could someone please let me know how to get that NPC out of the way? Thanks so much!

" Coming this fall to Jubilife TV: Lost Beyond Space!"
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Aslan
the pretender

Hmm there isn't an NPC blocking your entrance at the end of Victory Road. However I do remember a man blocking a path in Victory Road but unfortunately that isn't the end of Victory Road. What you're trying to access, if this is the man I think you're talking about is an area that can only be accessed in the after-game and where you'll find Marley. Who Marley is I won't reveal just so the suspense is still there. n__n. But yeah that isn't the end of Victory Road, if you could provide pictures on your location I could help further but other than that I'll just have to say, where I think you are isn't the end yet. :<
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:29 AM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Does this screenshot help? I followed the directions to "the exit" in the Victory Road section of this Platinum FAQ; either this is the post-Elite Four exit, or I misread the text.
Attached Images
File Type: png victory_road_problem.png‎ (14.5 KB, 6 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
That's not the exit. That leads to a post-game only area. You can access it after beating the Elite Four. The exit is further up, but you are almost done.
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:37 PM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

I'm still searching for the Victory Road exit, and have checked most reachable parts of the 1st-2nd floors. Currently, I've returned to a hilltop between two climbable walls and some bridges (see the attached screenshot). Which way do I go from there?
Attached Images
File Type: png vic_road_part2.png‎ (13.6 KB, 1 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old April 8th, 2013, 04:34 PM
HelzAssassin
Unhatched Egg

planning on stealing reds light ball post game Who should i give thief to, i was thinking a ground that could learn it to counteract pikachus electric moves... looking for suggestions on the pokemon to use, can be anyone tho
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
@ISNorden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcTlc4bZMBE Go to the next part if it doesn't finish VR in this video. I haven't done it in so long that I don't remember the exact path. I just now it's north of that blocked door, but it's a twisted path to get there.

@HelzAssassin: Dugtrio may be a good choice. It's frail, but if you have it leveled up high enough, it may outspeed Pikachu, plus it will be immune to Electric moves. Gliscor would also be a good choice. I don't think it's as fast as Dugtrio, but it is much bulkier, so you'd have a better chance of getting to use it against other members of his team.
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Pokemonfan01
Unhatched Egg

Is relaxed nature (capable of taking hits) a good nature for Lugia?
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:53 PM
curiousnathan
woop woop

Nature: Careful
This belongs in the 4th Gen Help Thread.

[ Moved ]
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Aslan
the pretender

Being an online competitive battler and also playing through the fourth generation I have to say, it depends! In-game wise, I would advise that you don't fret over your Pokemon's nature too much seeing as it only makes a small impact. However competitively natures do make a great difference surprisingly. Let's take a look at a Pokemon with a Relaxed nature. Relaxed raises Defense and lowers Speed, yes? Lugia has fantastic defenses and the added boost makes it incredibly bulky, which is always great. However the speed factor, we need to look at. Speed, speed, speed. This stat can make all the difference on who moves first. Lugia is naturally bulky and can take a few good hits, so unless you're really upset about being outspeeded and taking a bit of damage I'd say that Relaxed is a good nature, seeing as the speed drop shouldn't matter too much, in my opinion. n__n;
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:07 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
No. Relaxed isn't a good nature on Lugia at all. Lugia is extremely fast for a wall and wasting away that Speed is just detrimental. Lugia needs it high base 110 Speed to outspeed other walls so that it can do whatever it has to do before it gets Taunted.

Old April 10th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Pokemonfan01
Unhatched Egg

It's a shiny though, I think the speed is not to bad it's 150 for level 70 but because of being relaxed nature it boosts defense and it also has good Ivs for defense I think (capable of taking hits)
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:00 PM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

I've finally beaten the Elite Four and Cynthia in Platinum (yay!), and am now in what I think is the Survival Area--near Routes 229-230. Could someone please point me to a walk-through for that area? I'm having trouble reaching the item in this screenshot...
Attached Images
File Type: png survival-area_problem.png‎ (15.3 KB, 2 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old April 10th, 2013, 01:13 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
I've finally beaten the Elite Four and Cynthia in Platinum (yay!), and am now in what I think is the Survival Area--near Routes 229-230. Could someone please point me to a walk-through for that area? I'm having trouble reaching the item in this screenshot...
On the other side of where you are, if you can see the rock, there is a cut tree under it, just cut it down and collect the item.
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:19 PM
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Quote:
On the other side of where you are, if you can see the rock, there is a cut tree under it, just cut it down and collect the item.

How do I spot the tree? The usual "face the rock and press A" method revealed nothing; will the Dowsing app (which I've seldom needed) be any help?

EDIT: I tried the Dowsing app, clicking just east of my location (where the rock would be); the tree is still unrevealed.
Attached Images
File Type: png survival-area_problem2.png‎ (15.9 KB, 1 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by ISNorden; April 10th, 2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: attaching screenshot
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:41 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
How do I spot the tree? The usual "face the rock and press A" method revealed nothing; will the Dowsing app (which I've seldom needed) be any help?

EDIT: I tried the Dowsing app, clicking just east of my location (where the rock would be); the tree is still unrevealed. :(
The tile one tile down from the rock, there is a cut tree, it is just hidden by the big tree down from it.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:54 AM
commandor1
Unhatched Egg

I recently restarted pearl. And was wondering. IS it worth it to train magikarp to garydos? Or no?
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Cassiopeiia
Floating

Nature: Bashful
You can't really go wrong with Gyarados. It has great bulk and very high attack, and it learns very useful moves such as Ice Fang, Aqua Tail and Dragon Dance, plus lots more through TM, Earthquake for example.

Evolving at Lv. 20 is actually quite early, it will definitely prove an asset to your team.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Magnetic
Underground Trainer

Nature: Mild
If you have an exp. share, absolutely. As mentioned, Gyarados is a beast. But if you don't, I'm not sure I have the patience to put it into battle and take it out right away, over and over.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here