The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:52 AM
BlIZzART
Unhatched Egg

Hi Guys i´m using GIF Pokemon Sprites but when a Pokemon use an attack the Animation stops.
Can anybody help me with this problem
Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

I thought this happened because the sprites aren't refreshed when using an attack. Not sure though, so please correct me if I'm wrong :p
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:46 AM
BlIZzART
Unhatched Egg

I dont know it but can anybody tell me what i have to do when i want to play the animation like B/W B/W2
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Nature: Adamant
You never simply replace the old sprites with newer, and expect everything to be automagically done. While Pokemon Essentials itself supports GIF images, the battle system wasn't designed to be using them. The reason why at some parts the GIFs animate, and at some they don't: is that some parts of the PokeBattle_ActualScene code contain the @sprites["pokemon#{i}"].update function and others don't. You'd need to find the right places within the Battle System itself where you'd put these updates.

Using the function pbFrameUpdate(nil) is what you're looking for. This function updates the sprites and the battle boxes of the various Pokemon, now you just have to insert them in the right place. Some are more obvious than others. Just do a quick search for general updates in the battle system, and you'll know where to put them. One of the updates that you were looking for is within def pbAnimationCore. There you'll see a chunk of code which looks like
Code:
while animplayer.playing?
  animplayer.update
  pbGraphicsUpdate
  pbInputUpdate
end
In there, with all the other updates, you just stick in pbFrameUpdate(nil), and the sprites will animate during attack animations.

With all this said, again, I will refer you to a post I made a while back.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:02 AM
BlIZzART
Unhatched Egg

sorry,but im a Newbie in this.I dont understand the Scripting Language and i need a teacher for that.Can anybody tell me easily how i make this.Sorry for that
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:56 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlIZzART View Post
sorry,but im a Newbie in this.I dont understand the Scripting Language and i need a teacher for that.Can anybody tell me easily how i make this.Sorry for that
Luka S.J. couldn't have made it easier to understand. He told you exactly what function to put in what places.

You can't use Essential practically without knowing how to script; what I'd do if I were you is stick to simple stuff for the time being, and expand off of that. It takes a long time, but you need to be able to script to make your game stand out. If something as simple as this is above you, then just remember this thread and come back in the future once you've learned a little about RGSS syntax.

In other words, don't just take a dive into Aquatic Mine, you need to test the waters first.

Old April 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM
DarkShadow21
Master of dark fire!!

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Yahoo to DarkShadow21
I agree with IceGod. If you don't have any experience whatsoever, you need to try to learn bit by bit of how to script with the ruby language which is what Rpg Maker XP uses. You can't properly make a fan game without knowing at least the basics of scripting.

Check out updates of some of the stuff in Pokémon Titanium and Pokemon Chromium on my deviantart http://darkness2118.deviantart.com/
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:12 AM
FL
Pokémon Island Creator

I partially disagree with IceGod. Essentials was made to isn't necessary for knowing scripting to make a Pokémon simple game. Not everyone is good at scripting, some people is good at Pixel Art, others at music, etc... But, I think that is necessary to know very basic things like "if/else" and "while".

If you like customized things (unlike some basic ones), so or you find some scripter to team up, or learn by yourself.

Anyway, I suggest to Maruno add this Luka S.J. script to default Essentials.

Last edited by FL; April 14th, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
I partially disagree with IceGod. Essentials was made to isn't necessary for knowing scripting to make a Pokémon simple game. Not everyone is good at scripting, some people is good at Pixel Art, others at music, etc... But, I think that is necessary to know very basic things like "if/else" and "while".

If you like customized things (unlike some basic ones), so or you find some scripter to team up, or learn by yourself.
That's my view of Essentials, yes. You could be able to make a game without once going into the Script Editor. That's not to say you can avoid using scripts, though (you must use things like pbChangePlayer and Kernel.pbSetPokemonCenter and pbAddPokemon), but you can (barely) just get away with some copying of existing scripts. You'll still need to learn how things actually work, though, at least on a conceptual level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL . View Post
Anyway, I suggest to Maruno add this Luka S.J. script to default Essentials.
So long as someone tells me what to do (either here or in a PM), okay.
Old April 14th, 2013, 06:50 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luka S.J. View Post
You never simply replace the old sprites with newer, and expect everything to be automagically done. While Pokemon Essentials itself supports GIF images, the battle system wasn't designed to be using them. The reason why at some parts the GIFs animate, and at some they don't: is that some parts of the PokeBattle_ActualScene code contain the @sprites["pokemon#{i}"].update function and others don't. You'd need to find the right places within the Battle System itself where you'd put these updates.

Using the function pbFrameUpdate(nil) is what you're looking for. This function updates the sprites and the battle boxes of the various Pokemon, now you just have to insert them in the right place. Some are more obvious than others. Just do a quick search for general updates in the battle system, and you'll know where to put them. One of the updates that you were looking for is within def pbAnimationCore. There you'll see a chunk of code which looks like
Code:
while animplayer.playing?
  animplayer.update
  pbGraphicsUpdate
  pbInputUpdate
end
In there, with all the other updates, you just stick in pbFrameUpdate(nil), and the sprites will animate during attack animations.

With all this said, again, I will refer you to a post I made a while back.
Is this what you were asking for Maruno?

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

I meant specific directions for every change that needs making. I'm not interested in gif battlers, and I don't want to figure things out for myself when someone who actually cares can do the mental work instead.

Sponsored Links