• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Disney cancels Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
I just found this out today, that the epic cartoon series Star Wars: The Clone Wars has been cancelled by Disney!! :*( This was one of my most favourite shows ever!.. Sooo sad.... I have no idea what Disney is doing ... It was such an epic storyline...

Guy

just a guy
Years
If I recall, Star Wars: The Clone Wars had been a particular bright spot for Cartoon Network for the past five years and was expected to continue after its fifth season. When Disney acquired the rights to the franchise, it was speculated that Cartoon Network would hand over their rights of the show for Disney to air next season on their other channel Disney XD. Which did happen when it was announced Cartoon Network was no longer going to be airing new episodes after its fifth season ended.

Typical Disney, rather than continue the show on their network and keep a soft hit going, they've instead decided to end it. Though there are reports if you search that say they plan to air "bonus content" ─ supposedly the already produced episodes of Season 6. I personally never watched the show, but did catch bits and pieces of it on Cartoon Network Saturday mornings before DC Nation.

I wonder if Disney is going to try and recreate the show at some point. Probably a more watered down version of the one Cartoon Network aired I'm betting.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Bad show, Disney, really bad show.

Now we'll never get a proper closure on Asuka and Darth Maul's real fate during the Clone Wars.

Years
well if that's true, that was a REALLLLLLY bad move on their part. The Clone Wars thing is kinda sad for fans of the show, because cancelation before resolution always sucks (Being a Firefly fan, I know this all to well...). Star Wars 1313 looked like it had promise. This also is like the final spear in the grave for Battlefront 3, which would of been a killer app.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017

Looks like I hate Disney now bro. (i'm only watchin Disney XD)

Wait, sooooo...tstar wars is over? WHAT ABOUT LUKE, MY FAV CHARACTER. UGH DISNEY. WHY. And about the discussion...I'm really sad about this.

Edit: Almost cried..LucasArts were epic.

Edit 2: Well, at least force unleashed 3 is going to happen, rite?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'd consider the title to be misleading. They simply said that they were moving away from Game Development and that they had layoffs across the board, but they haven't said that LucasArts was shutting down.

This also means that current LucasArts projects are still capable of being picked up, so if there's a game that any of you are looking forward to, don't worry about it's development, there's still a good chance that they'll be finished.

Looks like I hate Disney now bro. (i'm only watchin Disney XD)

Wait, sooooo...tstar wars is over? WHAT ABOUT LUKE, MY FAV CHARACTER. UGH DISNEY. WHY. And about the discussion...I'm really sad about this.

Edit: Almost cried..LucasArts were epic.

Edit 2: Well, at least force unleashed 3 is going to happen, rite?
Disney XD isn't less Disney than...pretty much any other Disney channel. Having said that, I don't think this is any reason to completely stop watching Disney altogether.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
LucasArts is sticking around as a publisher... which really anything good to come out of them since the 2000s has been from a publishing role - not a developer. The good days when they were a great developer back in the '90s are long gone. Why continue to keep it alive?

As for The Clone Wars, I personally preferred the two season stint of animated shorts that preceeded it. But, regardless of that - while the show has a strong fan following, its viewership has been declining every season.

From a business standpoint, both items were on their last legs. So, Disney probably did the right thing here

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
They probably did this to avoid the inevitable acts of killing off Ahsoka and further detailing the Jedi massacre.

Typical Disney, not wanting to kill off a main character.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
@Elgyem: Um, no thats not true, since i have watched "The strange life of Timothy Green" and the ending is sad, i dontm know whatever happened to the boy in the end..so that contradicts your post D: But you have a very good point, that Disney always has happy endings to the characters.

@machomuu:Uhhh, i always only watched disney XD, just said i'll continue to watch it. And its pretty stupid what i said earlier. I dont even watch disney that much =\

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
They probably did this to avoid the inevitable acts of killing off Ahsoka and further detailing the Jedi massacre.

Typical Disney, not wanting to kill off a main character.
Villains are main character. Disney's notorious for some pretty dang strong villain deaths.

And parents of main characters die often too

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'd hate to be the people that acquired rights to a good show and then cancel it with little forewarn or reason. Seriously, a bad and somewhat disappointing move. Not that I watched the show, but don't get me wrong, there's no sense in canceling a well-received show all of a sudden.

Sweets Witch said:

Keep slipping up, Disney; I dare you.

Guest123_x1

They simply said that they were moving away from Game Development and that they had layoffs across the board, but they haven't said that LucasArts was shutting down.
All I've been hearing about lately with the entertainment industry as a whole, even though the sockpuppets on the news harp over and over about how the economy is doing wonderful.
With the above in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually, Lucasfilm itself will be shut down or reduced to virtually nothing, much the same way as Sony Pictures shut down Merv Griffin Enterprises back in 1994 (and eventually fired longtime producers Nancy Jones and George Vosburgh from Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, respectively-both of the aforementioned shows were taken over by Columbia TriStar Television, and both producers were replaced by Harry Friedman.)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
All I've been hearing about lately with the entertainment industry as a whole, even though the sockpuppets on the news harp over and over about how the economy is doing wonderful.
With the above in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually, Lucasfilm itself will be shut down or reduced to virtually nothing, much the same way as Sony Pictures shut down Merv Griffin Enterprises back in 1994 (and eventually fired longtime producers Nancy Jones and George Vosburgh from Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, respectively-both of the aforementioned shows were taken over by Columbia TriStar Television, and both producers were replaced by Harry Friedman.)
I think Lucasfilm's going to be around for the next little while. Disney's been juggling multiple film banners for a while. What's one more?

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
It's such a shame to see The Clone Wars go like this. I suppose fans should be happy that it didn't end on too much of a cliffhanger, and that ending at least explains why Ahsoka isn't around for Revenge of the Sith, but it still feels very abrupt. I absolutely loved the show and it sucks to see something with such strong writing come to such an unceremonious end.

Years
I heard about this on an Australian TV news site, and yeah it's sad but I was never a fan of the series to begin with. But then again this is what happens if you let Disney take over certain franchises.

But making it to 5 seasons means it lasted longer than I thought.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I was waiting for Clone Wars to end, and watch it once it's over. Now I don't feel like watching it anymore. Hopefully they'll release a direct-to-TV movie as a finale.

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
My hunch is that the upcoming Star Wars episode 7,8,9 movies that were announced by Disney has something to do with the closure of The Clone Wars series.... Maybe Asoka will be in it somehow :D lol... tho she wud b really really old... O.o

Years
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't everybody raving and ranting about Disney taking over Star Wars Clone Wars? I don't watch the show, but this topic just struck me.
In a completely metaphorical sense of course :p

Back