The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Italian scientist Gian Paolo Vanoli is making headlines after claiming that vaccinations cause homosexuality in an interview with VICE.

Vanoli, 72, is a known opponent of vaccinations and an advocate of alternative medicine. He claimed vaccinations cause homosexuality by altering the formation of the child's personality.

The Huffington Post translated the VICE article by Matthew Lenardon from the Italian: “The vaccine is introduced into the child, the child then grows and tries to find its own personality, and if this is inhibited by mercury or other substances present in the vaccine which enter the brain, the child becomes gay,” Vanoli said.

“Each vaccination produces homosexuality, because it prevents the formation of one’s personality.”

While he claims vaccines cause homosexuality, he says he doesn’t “blame” homosexuals for their “illness.”

“Homosexuality is a disease,” he said. “I know that the World Health Organization does not think so, but I don’t care.”

He added, “we have to say that it’s an illness, something that does not respect the order of life.”

However he claims he supports gay marriage and same-sex adoption.

Vanoli also believes vaccinations cause autism in children. “It is a microform of autism, if you will. You will see how many gays there will be in the next generation, it will be a disaster,” he argued.

The scientist does not believe that more homosexuals are out of the closet today than 50 years ago. He thinks that today there simply are many more homosexuals because so many children are vaccinated.

"One of the main causes is represented by vaccines, which go against life, disturbing our mind and our spirit,” he said. “The proof of that is the big increase in the number of homosexuals. Since mass vaccination began, this is the result,” he said.

In the same interview Vanoli admitted he drinks his own urine daily, “a glass every day,” because he believes it is “great therapy” to reverse the effects of vaccination.
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...n-paolo-vanoli

I think he was dropped on his head one to many times as a baby.

Come play Runescape
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:52 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
He's old, so there's a good chance he's senile by now, too.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old April 4th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Just wow. I know he's old but those are some kind of out there views. Vaccines are supposed to protect people.
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

I'm not that surprised really. I mean, the guy regularly drinks his own piss.

Minus being lost in the middle of no where and having a desperate need for the water to, you know, survive until rescue, anyone who drinks piss probably has quite a few screws loose.

Come play Runescape
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:09 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Drinking your own urine daily must alter your personality, no?
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM
wakachamo
-
Community Supporter

So... why are we still listening to this guy?

Paired with Forest Grovyle.
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:23 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakachamo View Post
That's a very good question
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Esper

Quote:
Every village needs an idiot?

Yeah, it is a little bit of us patting ourselves on the back. "Oh, look at this crazy wackadoole who we're nothing like. We're so great." But then, he is a crazy wackadoodle and people should fear our public humiliation for agreeing with him.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
lol @ the urine thing. I was reading the post going, "OK, I see, mhm" until I hit that last sentence lol >_<

And though I don't feel homosexuality is a "born this way" thing, I wouldn't go as far as this guy as to say that it's because of vaccines. Vaccines are supposed to be good for you. Then again, some conspirators even consider vaccines to be "mind-controlling" devices, which I can see as possible but doubtful at the same time, so who knows anymore. Just who knows >_>

Gotta question what's going into our food, too.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
We should be asking on where is his evidence to support his claim about vaccines being the cause of homosexuality and autism.
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Probably from quackery like this: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Vaccine_denialism#Autism

All those urban legends about vaccines being actually harmful are from the Soviet Union ages. Nothing new has been found because it's all nonsense.
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:40 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Its far fetched but doesn't mean it is "crazy" Come on how can two guys together be natural? putting it in the poop shoot is natural? or let alone two women scissoring? vaccines are they natural? No they are man made.. Really thats how it was meant to be? .. Man and woman are a fit because they can reproduce keep the population growing. I am not denying that the same sex cant love each other, father n son, brother n brother, but its not homosexuality that is a disease, its sex... Sex is a problem, it can be an addiction, cause people to do some crazy things, rape for instance(not saying all rapist are sex addicts), sex is out of control in todays world, it went from private between two people to world news headlines..

All I'm saying if humanity was on the brink of extinction you wouldn't want the last few guys alive to be gay, and vice versa. Even if they could get it to work it wouldn't be very successful. It aint natural, and It could be very much possible that vaccines could be the cause..

not saying it is, just saying anything is possible.
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:41 AM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
The only bad thing vaccines cause is mass hysteria thanks to people like this guy.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
Homosexuality has been around before vaccinations. This is why we have "who came first, the chicken or the egg?" instead of "the gays or the shots?"
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCharizard View Post
That's the same kind of argument made by climate change denialists and people ignorant about GMO's. It's one thing to make that argument in the context of scientific knowledge and quite another in the absence of scientific knowledge.

Quote:
The vaccine is introduced into the child, the child then grows and tries to find its own personality, and if this is inhibited by mercury or other substances present in the vaccine which enter the brain, the child becomes gay. The problem will especially be present in the next generations, because when gays have children, the children will carry along with them the DNA of their parent’s illness.
He seems to claim that mercury will cause a mutation causing kids to be gay. Mercury may cause mutations. But it'll destroy your nervous system first - and it's highly unlikely that mercury will target sex-orientation genes, since all genes are made of the same material - DNA.

Also yes, homosexuality is a disease, only if you take the strict definition of a disease to be an abnormality that injures the function of an organism, in this case, the function to reproduce and continue the species - that being the function of life, primarily. But, even the premise that homosexuality hampers sexual function is not entirely true. Take the example of ants, where 99% of the population are unable to mate. We wouldn't consider that to be a dysfunction, but an adaptation. Is homosexuality an adaptation which helps increase the survival of mankind?

Anyways, homosexuality is natural because it occurs in a natural condition. It's not like cyborgs or genetic engineering. And even if the last few guys alive were gay, I'm sure they'd swallow the pill and reproduce anyways, I don't think anybody would be that individualistic and selfish in humanity's dying throes.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Quote:
Its far fetched but doesn't mean it is "crazy" Come on how can two guys together be natural? putting it in the poop shoot is natural? or let alone two women scissoring? vaccines are they natural? No they are man made.. Really thats how it was meant to be? .. Man and woman are a fit because they can reproduce keep the population growing. I am not denying that the same sex cant love each other, father n son, brother n brother, but its not homosexuality that is a disease, its sex... Sex is a problem, it can be an addiction, cause people to do some crazy things, rape for instance(not saying all rapist are sex addicts), sex is out of control in todays world, it went from private between two people to world news headlines..

All I'm saying if humanity was on the brink of extinction you wouldn't want the last few guys alive to be gay, and vice versa. Even if they could get it to work it wouldn't be very successful. It aint natural, and It could be very much possible that vaccines could be the cause..

Homosexuality has been around since the beginning of time, it just didnt have the awareness it has now. People are born gay, it's not like you get some vaccine and then you become gay, it's just the way some people are. Nothing makes people gay.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Radio Rebel
Be heard. Be strong. Be proud.

Nature: Timid
Quote:

I don't know whether to be offended or amused. I'm going with amused. Point and laugh people, point and laugh.

YouTubeLast.fm ♦ Proud member of Geronimo! and The Rainbow Connection
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Rebel View Post
I don't know whether to be offended or amused. I'm going with amused. Point and laugh people, point and laugh.

lol I knew my post would cause controversy, was hoping however it would spark a more open minded discussion...

Quote:
People are born gay,
I dont believe this and I have a few gay friends that would say the same..
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Actually, I feel that social pressures can make people gay, just like how social pressures can make people "straight". I have friends who got caught up with all that born this way, orientation-questioning stuff, with no small help from Lady Gaga, just to have him dismiss it as a "phase". I felt pressure to question my own sexuality as well, but that doesn't turn out well when you end up feeling like you're searching for something that isn't there. That stuff can get you super-paranoid when you don't fit in to contemporary society.

It's a bit of a side-track, but just like how homosexuals have been stigmatized into repression for the vast ages, I feel that pressure can go both ways.
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Esper

The important thing to take away from all of this is that vaccines are safe and that it's okay to be gay. Even if people could choose to be gay, even if vaccines did make some people gay, even if the last people on Earth were gay, that would all be fine.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:07 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
The word "scientist" here should be in air quotes. Rather large ones, at that. Perhaps in neon, and blinking.

1. Vaccines are almost certainly safe and save the lives of those who take them and perhaps many millions more by preventing the spread of disease. Opposing vaccination isn't just stupid and paranoid, it's downright immoral based on what we know of how diseases spread.

2. I'd sure like to know on what he bases his conclusion, seeing as how there is absolutely no sound evidence that supports that conclusion, and even if there was, it would prove nothing. No scientist worth his salt would say something like that with such certainty even if the evidence was in his favor. Were he a legitimate scientist, he would acknowledge that even the most strongly supported conclusions are not certainties, and this is pretty far from "strongly supported."

3. He's probably just mouthing off for attention. The fact that anyone's giving it to him is pathetic. This is a non-story and should never have been in the news.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:46 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
This is more ridiculous than the "Vaccines cause Autism" things I've heard. I think the same as the above poster, the word "Scientist" should have air quotes.
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
“The vaccine is introduced into the child, the child then grows and tries to find its own personality, and if this is inhibited by mercury or other substances present in the vaccine which enter the brain, the child becomes gay,” Vanoli said.
...this guy is actually called a scientist?
A. No.

B. Last year 5 days to the date, the FDA admitted in court that vaccines still contain mercury. As much as that sounds to weaken my argument, you have to realize and appreciate that these vaccines are FDA approved. In other words, the amount of mercury in a vaccine shot is negligible. The only reason it's even present is to act as a stabilizing agent to decrease the chance that germs and microbes that already exist in our blood, could aid in the spread of the synthetic version of the disease in the vaccine. What I'm saying here is that the amount of mercury that is in the shot is too little to possibly cause any sort of mutation.

C. More to point B is the fact that vaccines are measured to the smallest unit for every component. That's why vaccines, unlike other shots, are not drawn out of a vile and then introduced into the blood stream. Instead, they come in enclosed and sealed packages approved by the FDA and deemed safe. That's also why when a doctor administers the vaccine, unlike other shots, he/she does not squirt anything out of it to make sure any air has been emptied out. This is because all the pressure control and vacuum standards in the shot have already been measured by the producer, and also because any more/less of the vaccine, even the slightest bit, could either render it useless or increase the chance of actual bodily harm.
Also, the human circulatory system is so fast and efficient that the mercury in the shot wouldn't have time to dissolve before reaching the brain. After the shot is given, 2/3 heartbeats away and the entire content of the shot has reached every cell in the body.
What I'm trying to say is that vaccines are so carefully made that if they caused homosexuality, 50% if not all of the people who have taken vaccines would be homosexuals.

This isn't really speculation and I'm not trying to sound like a smart-ass. All of this is just Bio 1, 2, and 3 from high school + my own vast interest in biology and chemistry.
Quote:
In the same interview Vanoli admitted he drinks his own urine daily, “a glass every day,” because he believes it is “great therapy” to reverse the effects of vaccination.
Nice.
Quote:
I like to think it's so that we can make fun of him!
Quote:

As much as I admire your open minded post here, I just wanted to point out that the terms impossible and possible are extremely relative and subjective. What is impossible now might be possible in a hundred years and vice versa regarding what is thought possible, but proved impossible in light of new discoveries.
So yes, this might all be possible, but it's very improbable. (Reason above)
Quote:
I dont believe this and I have a few gay friends that would say the same..
I just hope you aren't one of those people who think that what science tells us is a lie. Regardless, over a dozen experiments and tests have been done that do in fact show that there is a recessive gene present in 90% of homosexuals and only present under dominance in heterosexuals. So no, scientifically speaking, homosexuality is genetic but is also recessive. Which is why a homosexual father can have a straight son and vice versa.

Old April 6th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

I learned a reason why vaccines may contain mercury from one of my biochem profs. Mercury might be the only catalyst that exists for the only reaction that leads to the product. Having to purify the product of mercury to ppb concentrations is extremely difficult, and is also one of the reasons your prescription drugs are so expensive. So Big Pharm isn't completely evil XD

I just learned on wiki that mercury is added to vaccines as an anti-bacterial. So scratch out what I wrote about mercury's purpose in vaccines. Although I will leave it in because I don't think it's something that people realize - and chemists are trying very hard to develop new ways of conducting the same reaction without toxic reactants like mercury - it's called Green Chemistry, look it up all you science nerds as it's pretty cool and related to sustainability and environmental protection.

I just learned in biochem that toxins that kill bacteria by shutting down their ability to create proteins. They target bacteria because bacteria and humans have different machinery and the toxin only works on bacteria. And I just realized why that would be a bad idea - since bacteria can always develop resistance to antibiotics. But apparently mercury works in much the same way, preventing bacteria from reproducing and creating proteins. So I am thoroughly confused as to why mercury is used instead of an organic antibiotic.

But my conclusion is this: scientists should continue working on developing an antibiotic potent but safe for human use. I don't know how possible it would be, especially since antibiotics block fundamental processes for life.
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
I learned a reason why vaccines may contain mercury from one of my biochem profs. Mercury might be the only catalyst that exists for the only reaction that leads to the product. Having to purify the product of mercury to ppb concentrations is extremely difficult, and is also one of the reasons your prescription drugs are so expensive. So Big Pharm isn't completely evil XD

I just learned on wiki that mercury is added to vaccines as an anti-bacterial. So scratch out what I wrote about mercury's purpose in vaccines. Although I will leave it in because I don't think it's something that people realize - and chemists are trying very hard to develop new ways of conducting the same reaction without toxic reactants like mercury - it's called Green Chemistry, look it up all you science nerds as it's pretty cool and related to sustainability and environmental protection.

I just learned in biochem that toxins that kill bacteria by shutting down their ability to create proteins. They target bacteria because bacteria and humans have different machinery and the toxin only works on bacteria. And I just realized why that would be a bad idea - since bacteria can always develop resistance to antibiotics. But apparently mercury works in much the same way, preventing bacteria from reproducing and creating proteins. So I am thoroughly confused as to why mercury is used instead of an organic antibiotic.

But my conclusion is this: scientists should continue working on developing an antibiotic potent but safe for human use. I don't know how possible it would be, especially since antibiotics block fundamental processes for life.
I think it's because the synthetic virus in the vaccine is meant to cause a very small infection in order for it to take effect. That's why after taking a vaccine shot, a person would usually feel a little sick for a while but it would slowly fade away. I know I feel sick after one of those shots!

With an antibiotic, the effects would be minimal. With mercury, the effects would be just enough without actually killing the infectious virus before it got its job done. Or something to that extent.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links