The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:58 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Since the old thread died I decided to make a new one to speculate the names of the characters.
What do you think will be their names? Xander for the boy and Yasmin for the girl? Xavier for the boy and Yuna for the girl? or something totally different?
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:05 AM
MarinoKadame

Maybe they will go with more european and maybe french names. Xavier could be for the Boy while the Girl can be something like Yvonne.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Community Supporter

Hilda and Hilbert don't seem like mainstream American names, nor were the Japanese region based characters given Japanese sounding names in translation, so I sort of doubt that they'll be European.
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:43 PM
MarinoKadame

I just hope it's not a name that is too generic.

XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Blue Emerald
One of life's great mysteries

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Hilda and Hilbert don't seem like mainstream American names, nor were the Japanese region based characters given Japanese sounding names in translation, so I sort of doubt that they'll be European.
In the case of Hilda and Hilbert, supposedly those were meant to be English-variant translations of the B/W characters' names: Tōko and Tōya, respectively. Since "tō" means "to fight" in Japanese, the English versions were given those respective names because "hild" is a Germanic word for "battle". Much like how the D/P characters Dawn and Lucas were names for "light" because their Japanese names meant the same thing.

So, whatever the root word is for X and Y's two main characters in Japanese, you can be sure that the English names will go with a similar meaning.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I'm going to go with Nathan and Emma. Because that's the best guess I have.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Community Supporter

Nathan sounds too much like Nate...considering how people are comparing the main character of these games with Nate I'll rather they not name him Nathan...as Nate can be short for Nathan thus people will think that Gf isn't being original with the male in both looks and name...
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Nathan sounds too much like Nate...considering how people are comparing the main character of these games with Nate I'll rather they not name him Nathan...as Nate can be short for Nathan thus people will think that Gf isn't being original with the male in both looks and name...
I didn't see that. However, from the same list, both Leo and Lea are high. Thoughts?

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 5th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Community Supporter

I love those two name
How about Rudolph, and Avia...Rudolph isn't a good name I know...just trying to think of names that may match the mascots, not like any of the other's we've had did beyond Red, and Leaf, which were named after their version names as well (except for the optional names of the characters of RS, which were Landon, and Sean irc.)
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

We'll probably get names like Xavier (#439 boys) and Yasmine (#64 girls).

Cyclone

Old April 15th, 2013, 01:39 AM
Forever
let it go

I agree. I wouldn't mind Yasmin. In terms of a character name it'd actually be something nice for once, and would make me less want to change my name in-game. XD; Plus if other characters refer to her (if you're playing the dude) then for once actually A NORMAL name. :x
Old April 21st, 2013, 08:24 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Just did some Bulbapedia research, They tend to keep articles for every single character in the anime, and I don't see Xavier or Yasmine used (or Leo/Lea per the earlier post, except Leo is a Japanese name for a main character, so not likely to happen).

What other names beginning with X and Y do we think may get used? Xavier is almost a gimme if they use this theme, but any other Y names that might work for a female, or even a second male? Truth be told, it will be a female to join Ash in the anime, NEway.

Cyclone

Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:26 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
They don't have to begin with X and Y ya know.
Look at past protagonists, the only ones with names matching the titles are red and leaf, everyone else has a name that doesn't match the Titles at all.
So if anything, the heroes names will not begin with X and Y, not only is it too restricting, but it's not even a tradition, they'll most likely have names that have a theme to them.
For instance, Ethan and Lyra's names are themed on music
Lucas and Dawn are themed on daylight
Hilbert and Hilda are themed on battle
Nate and Rosa are wordplay, creating the word Resonate

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:52 AM
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
If i were to name the protagonist, i would name the male protagonist ROSS and female JUNE
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:06 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAbusoru View Post
They don't have to begin with X and Y ya know.
Look at past protagonists, the only ones with names matching the titles are red and leaf, everyone else has a name that doesn't match the Titles at all.
So if anything, the heroes names will not begin with X and Y, not only is it too restricting, but it's not even a tradition, they'll most likely have names that have a theme to them.
For instance, Ethan and Lyra's names are themed on music
Lucas and Dawn are themed on daylight
Hilbert and Hilda are themed on battle
Nate and Rosa are wordplay, creating the word Resonate
Call it a hunch. What else can a genetics theme lead to?

Cyclone

Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:12 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Call it a hunch. What else can a genetics theme lead to?

Cyclone
Amino acids, the DNA structure, molecules, Pikachurin (;P), stem cells, electrons, nuclei, quite a lot of things really, not just x and y chromosomes

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAbusoru View Post
Amino acids, the DNA structure, molecules, Pikachurin (;P), stem cells, electrons, nuclei, quite a lot of things really, not just x and y chromosomes
The periodic table? Here are our main characters, Hydro and Oxygo.

Cyclone

Old May 20th, 2013, 12:29 PM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
I believe the female will begin with X (the gender chromosome, if 2 of it existed in a zygote then it will be female).
And ofc the male will begin with Y (the gender chromosome, if 1 of it existed in a zygote then it will be male).
Makes sense, Non?

For those who don't get it...
Spoiler:
Search Google, or just go here
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:16 PM
GreatTornado
other in a month When you,

How about Chris and Claire

Resident Evil Ftw

Challenges Completed:
The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:36 PM
BUKKØW

Nature: Brave
Ettienne and Bridgette or Enzo and Emma
i like it

3DS FC: 5429-9023-9555
Current Shinys: NONE
FRIEND SAFARI:
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Honestly I'm expecting the main names for the to be X for the female and Y for the male, but they'll probably have some other random names to pick from (I'm expecting things of French/European descent since that's where the games seem to be based around).
Old May 20th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Belldandy
ღ Cammybear ღ
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Fred for the guy; Claire for the girl.

They just "feel" that way to me, plus Frédéric is a popular enough French name (think Chopin: Polish French citizen and was (and is) famous in France).

Claire is a French name that I find to be "powerful"-sounding when spoken. Feels independent and proud.

Oh, and for the Giggles, Fred is #1056 in popularity while Claire is #40. Yasmine is nice, too, but it comes from Jasmine which is an arabic name, so if we're going on the vibe that the name'll be French (or related to France), then I don't see it happening.
My Trade Thread
Breedject Sign-Up Thread
Friend Safari: Munna, Gothorita, Espurr
Native Scatterbugs: Polar, Ocean, Sun

Last edited by Belldandy; May 20th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:39 PM
MarinoKadame

I would want Yvette or Yvonne for the female, theres not a lot of french name that start with X for female, they are mostly variant of Xavier like Xaviere, Xavierra and Xavierre, but even those names are origin from Spain or Arabic.

But Yvonne and Yvette are both 100% French, Yvette mean young archer while Yvonne is archer. The only french name for girl I found that is french is Xela(Variants: Xelah, Xella, Xellah, Zela, Zelah, Zella, Zellah) that mean from the mountain home.

Old May 20th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Belldandy
ღ Cammybear ღ
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Oh, forgot. I also wouldn't mind Sophie (#21), Alice (#61), Zoe (#22), Astrid (#1135) or Colette (#554).

Also wouldn't mind Jean and Cosette :]
My Trade Thread
Breedject Sign-Up Thread
Friend Safari: Munna, Gothorita, Espurr
Native Scatterbugs: Polar, Ocean, Sun
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Creame
Dreams take you higher ♥

Names starting with X and Y would make loads of sense! I just don't know if the names will be likeable that way! I do agree on their French look so at least their names should be French or sound/look like it

Eeveelutions ♥
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links