The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Who should be the new team leader?
DrFuji 4 80.00%
dbzmay 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:43 PM
BungiePhantom
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Modest
If possible whenever any of you start to work on the comp would it be possible to stream yourself and post the link on here or in the IRC in case it gets used for future events? I like to watch hackers work since I'm new to this whole rom hacking thing
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Bela
Pokémon Rose Creator
Community Supporter

For those interested, we had a chance to sit down and talk yesterday (we're still meeting now too). Here's a log of our conversation from yesterday:

http://pastebin.com/0AXtpbB7

UPDATE: And here's our chat from tonight. Note: It's quite a read!

http://pastebin.com/U7hDdE29

Last edited by Bela; March 30th, 2013 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Perri Lightfoot
Proud to hack Ruby Version!
Community Supporter Tier 5

It was a rather productive meeting! We haven't worked out the finer details, but we certainly seem to have the rough concept for a story; one that can be built up and fleshed out into a saga of corporate corruption and the responsibilities of societies, where a person can choose to fight against the establishment - or stand with it...

Bela will be posting a log of the discussion (possibly before I finish this post!), but first I wanted to address the Mapping and Graphics team, since the next step in development belongs to you guys. We discussed regions (with a bit of back and forth over whether we should hew close to the example provided by the games or create a completely fictional landmass) and eventually came to a compromise concept - the shape of the map would be modeled after a real world place much like the actual games do, but the details within the map wouldn't necessarily have to reflect reality (for example, we could put a tropical rainforest in Arkansas if we really wanted to). The one thing we did decide upon as an essential characteristic of the region was that it should be a good mix of water and land. We focused mainly on Europe to find possible regions; and came up with these two:

The Firth of Clyde (Scotland):

And Midfjorden (Norway):

Now, we are not limited to these two areas, but this water/land mix are the sort of region concepts that we decided upon. Which one do you guys think would be more interesting or fun to work with? Is there another geographical area you'd like to map? In our closing arguments to the meeting, we decided that trying to hammer down the finer points of our setting should be next on the agenda, and we should probably try and work out a meeting time accordingly. Graphics and Mapping Teams, what works for you? What do you think?
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:33 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

Definitely Norway​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:42 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
We can always have both and implement 2 regions.

But Scotland is my little favorite, norway looks to me like someone who starts a hack and wants todo his own region would come up with.
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:04 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
I know I'm not an artist, but I definitely like Scotland best.

Paired with Simba
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Also both regions seem to have a somewhat nice climate to have, just knowing the climate around the starting town/house/city/cave/snow/what ever you want even a Vulcan would be much appreaticed.

Also I was sorry I wasnt able to stay last night for the conversation :<

Tonight would be nice if you guys would continue with the presents of me and and the other graphicers :>

If possible off course :>
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:53 AM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
I just read that entire log. You guys went really deep, especially explaining the bosses and such. I know you will deffinately do a good job. This storyline will be exceptional!!!

Paired with Simba
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
Also both regions seem to have a somewhat nice climate to have, just knowing the climate around the starting town/house/city/cave/snow/what ever you want even a Vulcan would be much appreaticed.

Also I was sorry I wasnt able to stay last night for the conversation :<

Tonight would be nice if you guys would continue with the presents of me and and the other graphicers :>

If possible off course :>
I am unable to be online today/tonight. But if the rest of you want to be, then that's fine. I have chat logs running.
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:18 PM
DrFuji
repeat repeat repeat
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I was also thinking about having a real world basis for the region map... But you guys have beat me to it! I like the look of both of them but right now my vote would be going towards Norway (It also looks incredibly similar to the first world map I ever inserted as a nub).

I'm sorry for not being able to have a proper conversation with you guys so far - I have incredible internet problems which should hopefully be fixed soon. When that's been taken care of I'd love to join in~
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
I like the scottland map as well.

I'll admit I only skimmed the convo, but everything looks great so far! I was going to propose the idea of a good/evil option for the protagonist (as I believe Darthatron said, you only need one flag that says evil or not, possibly a couple more for perceptions, but eh), and I'm not sure I saw a final decision was reached, so I vote for yes on that, although I know it would be complicated for the story people to integrate.

As for starters, I'm going to blow my own horn for a moment and say I wrote a little script that makes starters random within each ball (which basically means you could have infinite options for starters, but only three in any given play-through (for scripting team: it uses 3 flags)), which would be cool to implement if you wanted.

The plot is all looking great. I'm really excited to see what you all do with it.

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:21 PM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Hi everyone!

Sorry I've been relatively unresponsive, just been taking a slight break until more news was available.

My vote is for Scotland, mainly because it looks more dynamic. The Norway map is nice aswell, my main problem is that it is fairly plain in the sense that the main landmass is very rounded, and may not be the most interesting way to format it. The Scotland map also lends itself to more interesting travel options, i.e being chased off of an island or something (all up to the story developers).

I also think that because the Scotland map has more interesting angles and isles, it lends itself to more biomes. Although it could be done in Norway, it may seem less natural if there are Snowy regions and then say a Rainforest close together.

I'm keen on meeting up to discuss the graphics and anything else whenever it will occur!
Old March 31st, 2013, 05:47 AM
waterworks
Previously Fireworks

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to waterworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
[SIZE="4"]
The background in the battles in these pictures are fantastic. Though I'm not sure if Fireworks is to thank for them? The main reason you were not picked was because there didn't seem to be much diversity in your Deviant Art gallery.
Lesson learned: Next time provide links to both of my DeviantART accounts

Idk if I am still allowed a say in anything then but definitely Scotland, because I'm biased.
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Hi everyone!

EDIT: Nvm isn't working out that well :<

Last edited by ~Anbuja; April 6th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:45 PM
MrDollSteak

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to ask if everyone would be okay to meet tomorrow on 08:00 PM UTC?

I'd like the Graphicers and Storyliners to be present since we wanted to have this meeting now a week :>

PS: I'll contact all Graphicers to be sure they'll come
Regards Anbuja~
I wouldn't be able to make 8pm UTC, because where I live that's 4 am.

I would like to attend some sort of meeting though! Is this on the Chat client here on PC?
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:38 AM
KnightlyGamer
Unhatched Egg

Oh man! I'm sure this'll be awesome. Can't wait to see it.
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:33 AM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Take 2:

Hello everyone!

Since the last meeting didn't go as we were expecting for unknown reason, we decided to renew the offcial next meeting!

The actual meeting will be held on thursday the 11th of April the times are as follow:
08:00PM UTC
09:00PM CET
02:00PM CST
03:00PM EST
12:00PM PST
(These where the ones that popped into my mind)

Here is the chat where the meeting will be held.
There you choose the #pcromhack channel and set a username(Similar to your PC username please).

kthnxbai

Anbuja~
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:42 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Take 2:

Hello everyone!

Since the last meeting didn't go as we were expecting for unknown reason, we decided to renew the offcial next meeting!

The actual meeting will be held on thursday the 11th of April the times are as follow:
08:00PM UTC
09:00PM CET
02:00PM CST
03:00PM EST
12:00PM PST
(These where the ones that popped into my mind)

Here is the chat where the meeting will be held.
There you choose the #pcromhack channel and set a username(Similar to your PC username please).

kthnxbai

Anbuja~
Damn, I'm going to miss another meeting because of baseball practice at 3:00. Hopefully someone logs it again! Good luck!

Paired with Simba
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Bela
Pokémon Rose Creator
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Damn, I'm going to miss another meeting because of baseball practice at 3:00. Hopefully someone logs it again! Good luck!
</3

Actually Anbuja, 8:00 PM UTC for the other time zones would be an hour later than what you posted. That would be

10:00PM CEST (UTC +2 hours in the summer)
03:00PM CST
04:00PM EST
01:00PM PST
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela View Post
</3

Actually Anbuja, 8:00 PM UTC for the other time zones would be an hour later than what you posted. That would be

10:00PM CEST (UTC +2 hours in the summer)
03:00PM CST
04:00PM EST
01:00PM PST
Actually yes XD

When I was converting these hours one went wrong when I converted them.
So the other times got converted one hour before the planned time because of that converting mistake D:

Sorry about that.
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:01 PM
DrFuji
repeat repeat repeat
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
What things will the meeting be covering or is it going to be a general non-specific meeting? Its scheduled for 6AM my time, so chances are I won't be able to attend.
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:25 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Hm...as it stands, I can't promise that I'll be there on time, but I'll try to be there as soon as possible.
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter Tier 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
What things will the meeting be covering or is it going to be a general non-specific meeting? Its scheduled for 6AM my time, so chances are I won't be able to attend.
Shame on you, sir. I'll be there anyway.

I'll be there and will be posting a full chat log.
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:53 PM
MrDollSteak

I have a similar problem to Fuji, only mine is 4am so I really won't be able to attend
I'll definitely read the logs, and will try to contact you on skype after the meeting to give you my opinions etc.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:19 AM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

I'll be there                
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links