• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen The Beta Versions

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
In every main series Pokémon game there are things that were originally going to be added to the final release, but are changed or removed. Here are some of them for the 3rd Generation, more of them can be found by clicking on the game's name:
Ruby/Sapphire:
- An unused ability like Soundproof, Cacophony.
- The appearance of Shellos and Gastrodon.
- Torchic with ears.
- A Blaziken/Latias mix.
- More than 4 moves for a Pokémon.
120px-Torchic_Beta.jpg

120px-Latias_Blaziken.jpg

FireRed/Leafgreen:
- Sevii Isles 22, 23 and 24.
- Unused overworld sprites for Mew, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Celebi and Deoxys forms.
- Weather.
Volcanic_Ash_unused_FRLG.png

Emerald:
- Changes in Battle Frontier.

So which of the beta ideas would you liked to have had in the final release? What do you think the meanings of some of these beta ideas were?

Discuss!

Spr_3r_363.png

So chilly~

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 4, 2022
THREE snowflakes falling. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Well, for what I read (and I read everything), there isn't much to be added. What I liked the most though was definitely the more than 4 moves limit, maybe a 6 move limit. Now that would be great and allow for much more tactics.

Years
I always found it interesting that Shellos and Gastrodon were planned for Ruby and Sapphire, but somehow got scrapped before the final release of the game. I know that there was a similar situation where Pokemon were planned but didn't make it into Red/Blue (Ho-oh for example), but I wonder what caused them to get removed in the first place. And if the Ruby/Sapphire remakes ever come to be in the future, I wonder if we'll see their Hoenn forms (or something like it) during the game.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Deoxys was not cut out of the game.
You can battle Deoxys via Mystery gift.

EDIT: Never mind. I re-read it.
I thought the deoxys overworld changed between R/S, FR/LG and E.
Each game used a different form of Deoxys.

Last edited:

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Weather in FR/LG would have been very nice indeed. Now, as for more moves, I actually like the four move limit. You have to create strategies with a very tiny limit, to go up against just about anything. Not only does it make you think, it adds a small amount of difficulty.

So yeah:

Weather: Yes.

More moves: No

Sheldon sounds like it would have been sweet too.

Jacobthepokemonfreak

what to think about?........
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 5, 2014
I'd like to see what the other routes had on them, if they were in the game,
I'd also like the weather to be there, maybe sunny in Mt. place with moltres.

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Only one Thing which do not like from Beta to Curent version is NO JOHTO. Beta version of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire in their script incule Johto and Kanto Region <Prove is Leftovers unused themes of LEGENDARY BEATS Battle, Saffron city, Team Rocket Battle, Crystal Poke Communication Center, Team Rocket Encounter> So sad that we do not seen Legendary Beast in RSE

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
In between Celebi and Treecko's data in RSEFRLG there's 9-10 different empty slots for pokemon, making the Shellos Theory being more true.

Shellos Theory being it was going to be a 3rd Gen Pokémon.

Years
It says on the page that the snow might have been for Mt Chimney and that it might havebeen a snowy mountain instead of a volcano. i would love to see that especially because part of the plot focused around Mt Chimney. i would like to see what plot changes would take place.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Almost forgot to mention the unused songs in RSE. There was 3 songs: Saffron City, Route 38, and the Raikou/Suicune/Entei battle themes. There's also some stripped-down versions of the contest theme.

I think in FRLG there was an unused song for Violet City of Gold, but later on I found that it might've been used for one of the Sevii Islands. Also, in Fire Red English version, in the bootscreen they didn't implement the "Presents" text although it was stored in the game. Also there was this screen with Torchic and two other Pokémon.

And I think the gap between the numbers could be explained as inexplicable Pokémon ideas such as Shellos and test subjects.

I think those unused OW sprites were meant for Special Events or something.

Anyway Torchic with years is the laugh of the century but I'd really wanted the Blatiaken.

More than four moves might've caused a deep imbalance, tho~

MOAR SEVII ISLES NAAOOOO

And I was really surprised when I saw the snow effect in FireRed too.

Back