• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Does anyone have a Wii U?

Years
I am looking to purchase a Wii U for my birthday in a few weeks. I have been looking on-line a bit comparing prices and bundles..

Haven't seen many games that appeal to me at the moment however I know a few that I would love are coming out soon.

I guess I'm just looking for peoples views on the Wii U, What it can do. Is it worth buying now or maybe waiting a little see if the price goes down and what not.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but I haven't picked one up yet. So, that should tell you something.

I'm waiting for a price drop and a big name Nintendo title to launch

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I don't have a Wii U but I'll likely get one considering what I been hearing about Xbox 720 and the PS4...

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
And what's that?
For xbox, it's always online DRM and no used games. PS4 looks pretty great though, even if it's technically not that big of a leap from the PS3 judging from the first trailers.

Anyway, I have a Wii U, and I'll probably be Wii U only (+ the handhelds) for the majority of this generation. It's actually a really neat console and I personally find New Super Mario Bros U one of the best if not the best 2D platformer. Of course, it isn't without its (rather big) flaws, and the library is pretty lacking right now. I'd hold off until a price drop and more games right now, or E3. I bought a Wii U because I already knew what to expect, but maybe you're different.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Hmm I see, ok thanks :)

Reading a lot of conflicting reviews at the moment!

It seems that a lot of professional critics like the system, but the general consensus from people is rather negative/unsure. You can't go through a thread about the console without a flame war happening. I tend to avoid discussions about the console, but this thread is civil enough so far without it breaking into a flame war like a few I've posted in at other forums.

Anyway, I'm still decently unsure about the console. I've owned one since February, and I only really got it for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Apart from that game, I still don't know about my thoughts on the system entirely.

Just like the 3DS, it feels like Nintendo has released the system too early, so there is a lot of early instalment weirdness going on.

However, if Nintendo fix these by the end of the year when the new consoles such as the PS4 and Durango come out, I think they will be fine, although I guarantee they will be more prominent in portable gaming like they always have been.

I will say this though, I am sick and tired of people not calling the Wii U a next-gen system like it's some stamp of approval. Then again, these are the same people who think that extra freakin' ram is more innovative than a unique dual screen tablet with actual working technology. (I'm looking at the waggletastic Wii here people.)

Years
It seems that a lot of professional critics like the system, but the general consensus from people is rather negative/unsure. You can't go through a thread about the console without a flame war happening. I tend to avoid discussions about the console, but this thread is civil enough so far without it breaking into a flame war like a few I've posted in at other forums.

Anyway, I'm still decently unsure about the console. I've owned one since February, and I only really got it for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Apart from that game, I still don't know about my thoughts on the system entirely.

Just like the 3DS, it feels like Nintendo has released the system too early, so there is a lot of early instalment weirdness going on.

However, if Nintendo fix these by the end of the year when the new consoles such as the PS4 and Durango come out, I think they will be fine, although I guarantee they will be more prominent in portable gaming like they always have been.

I will say this though, I am sick and tired of people not calling the Wii U a next-gen system like it's some stamp of approval. Then again, these are the same people who think that extra freakin' ram is more innovative than a unique dual screen tablet with actual working technology. (I'm looking at the waggletastic Wii here people.)

I've seen that alot with the reviews on YouTube. Users who like other systems more bashing the Wii U in the comments section.

I've been to GAME today to test the console out, and I really liked it. I was playing the demo of Super Mario Bros which is probably one of the games I would get now if I were to get one.

Don't really know if the price will drop anytime soon either like before my birthday. I guess I'll keep on pondering. See if anyone else gives some opinions here.

I like your thoughts though, thank you :)

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I wish. Unfortunately, at this point, it's just a tad bit too expensive for me, and I'm probably gonna wait for a price drop. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it at some point though, since I don't want to miss out on any more of the future Zelda titles, especially not with what I've heard of the current development for the new one on the Wii U, and a Wind Waker remade is being released at the end of this year for it, and I really don't want to miss out on that one.

So yeah, don't have one, but I'm surely gonna get one at some point :p

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I have a Wii U, and it's a pretty amazing console... I have Super Mario Bros Wii U and Tekken Tag Team 2. The only problem is the lack of games available for the Wii U so far, but, I believe that the wait will be worth it soon for titles like Mario Kart Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Wii U. :3

Years
I wish. Unfortunately, at this point, it's just a tad bit too expensive for me, and I'm probably gonna wait for a price drop. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it at some point though, since I don't want to miss out on any more of the future Zelda titles, especially not with what I've heard of the current development for the new one on the Wii U, and a Wind Waker remade is being released at the end of this year for it, and I really don't want to miss out on that one.

So yeah, don't have one, but I'm surely gonna get one at some point :p

Zelda is also a game I love, I can't remember if I played Wind Waker however I'm sure my brother has.

Cheapest bundle I've found is £265 that's for Premium, Super Mario Bros U and NintendoLand.

I have a Wii U, and it's a pretty amazing console... I have Super Mario Bros Wii U and Tekken Tag Team 2. The only problem is the lack of games available for the Wii U so far, but, I believe that the wait will be worth it soon for titles like Mario Kart Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Wii U. :3

Yeah I've always played those games so it would be worth getting just for those. I also got a 3DS too so with the new Animal Crossing coming out pretty soon I can't see myself getting bored :3

User19sq

I don't think buying a Wii U at this time is all that great, since there aren't really any games for it available. In the long run, I say it's a pretty good idea, provided you have the money to afford it. But like stated above, both the Xbox 720 and PS4 companies, Microsoft and Sony, filed patents to make it so that used/borrowed games can't function unless the player purchases full access for it online, and it's only made more convincing with rumors flying around that PS4 games can go up to a price as high as $80.00. Of course, with the Wii U's capabilities, it's safe to assume that good, even great, games will be released soon enough.

TL;DR, wait until more games are available.

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Not yet. I'm not really sure I'll buy it, I think I'll wait until the PS4 and 720 are out and then see how everything goes. I like to buy a console when there are already a lot of games out for it so that I know I'll be able to continue using it throughout its lifecycle. I bought the Wii and halfway through there wasn't anything else I really wanted to play.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I'm waiting for the Wii U. I'm interested in WindWaker, but if it's just rendering it HD, I already have it for Gamecube (two copies, even) and if I want to play it, I'll just do it that way. It's not worth 300$ + cost of games and controllers.

I also tried the new Rayman game out at The Source the other day. It was really super uber prettiful, but the controls were stupid. You're pretty much looking at the handheld most of the time! What's the point of having a gigantic TV screen if you're going to be playing most of the game on baby screen?

Now, by stupid, I mean just the fact you're always looking at the screen. The controls themselves were unique and innovative enough, but I think they focused too much on the WiiPad to make the game enjoyable.

I'll also be waiting for a Zelda announcement and a price drop before I even consider it.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
The console's still new. I'd say it's going to take another year, minimum Christmas 2013, for the price to drop (and Christmas would probably just be temporary).

It's been 349,00$CAD for a while now (Deluxe Version). I'm hoping it'll drop around 300$ for Christmas. I'm not buying it, though, til it hits 250$, new or used. By that time, new and better games will be out, and the "kinks" should be gone (since every new innovative console system has "kinks" of sorts).

I got the blue Wii system for Christmas 2011. It probably cost around 150$ at that time - way less than its launch price in 2006. It took five years for it to drop about 150$ in price (with tax). That's why I'm expecting at least a temp drop from 350$ to 300$, 310$ this Christmas (a year since launch) since based on the old Wii, it dropped ~35$/y in price.

That's just speculation, though. It might not even hit 250$ until the end of the console in, what, 2017? Long way to go...

Also, new console or not, it's still semi-competing with the '360 and PS3, and it'll be competing with the '720 and PS4 eventually. With '360s and PS3s costing 200$/ea, once they sell the console to a good amount of families, I'd expect them to drop it for the people who are left over, already have a '360 or PS3 (i.e. me) and would just use the Wii U as a rec. console - nothing serious.

Last edited:

Skalla

Drama Queen
Years
Wait for a price drop and an acceptable lineup of games. As of now, the Wii U pretty much only has 2 exclusive games worth playing, them being Nintendoland and NSMBU, but they're...less than impressive.

Years
I don't have time to game. I think my Wii is going to have to serve my console needs, which are also non-existent. PC for the win!

@Skalla why don't you join the Canadian club in Fan Clubs & Groups? =D

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
I prefer PC, and I'm considering the Wii U for the Brawl Sequel that will inevitably be released and will single-handedly save the system.

Back