The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Old April 8th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naughty
Sorry for misspelling operating. :)

This thread is to replace the closed thread.

SO PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!

The topic is, in your view, what is the worst operating system ever made and why?

Me, anything above Windows XP is dumb.

Let the thread begin!

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Last edited by Hybrid Trainer; April 12th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Windows Me was just a horrible, jumbled mess that should have never been released. Windows Vista is another bad one, but they fixed it up decently with Service Packs. Seven is solid. Eight is just... idek. Interesting.

XP was the front runner until 7 came out, imo. Seven is very awesome :3 Apple makes good OSes and there are many strong Linux distributions.
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Vista's main issue was that Microsoft pushed it out way to fast. Another month of bug testing and the vast majority of initial issues would have been resolved.

Windows 8 is more designed for mobile platforms, not desktops.

Come play Runescape
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
I'd say Windows 8 (Granted, I've only used xp, vista, 7, 8 and Debian Linux... so that's not much to go on.) simply because it was designed 100% for tablets. It is literally not a PC operating system. Why is it on my PC?
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old April 8th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
7 is definitely the best windows OS. Before that, though, XP used to be what all the cool kids used, though.

Worst OS has to be iOS. THAT SHINX IS IMPOSSIBLE TO USE!

Pairs - -
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
I'd say W8. I've never personally tried it, but it doesn't look like it was meant for business operations or school assignments. It's more of a gaming entertainment platform (and by "gaming," I mean Angry Birds kind of games / flash games). I don't see touch screen OS's as the "way of the future" except for a select audience.

I've never tried ME, but Vista was buggy and a bit laggy. I jumped from XP to W7 on my current PC, though. I did have another PC, though, that had Vista installed on it. Ugh. Horrible to get gaming permissions to work properly.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Nature: Quiet
I feel like the 'horribleness' of Windows 8 is horrifically exaggerated. There are ways to get around Metro, y'know.

I would have to say probably Me. I remember... not having much fun with it at school. Either that or OS 9.
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Seven is very awesome
It is NOT. XP is and I wont be converted lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post
I'd say W8. I've never personally tried it
Keep it like that mate, 8 is so dumb for computers. Good for phones.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Last edited by Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu; April 8th, 2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
I feel like the 'horribleness' of Windows 8 is horrifically exaggerated. There are ways to get around Metro, y'know.
Not sure what Metro is, but given the context, I'm assuming the default touch-screen interface. For people who aren't tech-savvy, "getting around Metro" might be a horrific experience for them. Is a non-touch interface even integrated into W8 or do you have to modify core files manually / using different downloads + installations? If it's already there, it's not a big deal I suppose, but if it's not, that can be a lot of hassle just to get rid of W8's touch interface and integrate basic windows, task bars, etc. Plus, is the OS even able to efficiently run such a drastic alteration of the basic interface and functions of the OS to begin with? If it just diverts to a mini-7 experience, OK, but then why not just install W7 instead of running around in circles. W8 is obviously not designed for actual computer-based stuff; it's more of a mini flash game platform disguised as an OS. S'how I see it anyway. Inform me otherwise. As I said earlier, I've never used W8, but from the videos it doesn't look like my cup of tea.

The French Club

Last edited by Yusshin; April 8th, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Wings Don't Cry
Maybe she's born with it

Nature: Naive
I've used every Windows operating system since Windows 95 and honestly Windows ME easily tops the list for worst operating system. Windows 8 isn't bad but it's just not made for a PC. I don't want transitioning screens when I'm trying to run multiple things on my PC, I want to be able to easily have things pop up and down from the task bar. Also I happen to be one of those people who don't like things on multiple pages, I liked having all my programs on one long list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post
Not sure what Metro is, but given the context, I'm assuming the default touch-screen interface. For people who aren't tech-savvy, "getting around Metro" might be a horrific experience for them. Is a non-touch interface even integrated into W8 or do you have to modify core files manually / using different downloads + installations? If it's already there, it's not a big deal I suppose, but if it's not, that can be a lot of hassle just to get rid of W8's touch interface and integrate basic windows, task bars, etc. Plus, is the OS even able to efficiently run such a drastic alteration of the basic interface and functions of the OS to begin with? If it just diverts to a mini-7 experience, OK, but then why not just install W7 instead of running around in circles. W8 is obviously not designed for actual computer-based stuff; it's more of a mini flash game platform disguised as an OS. S'how I see it anyway. Inform me otherwise. As I said earlier, I've never used W8, but from the videos it doesn't look like my cup of tea.
You can install on a regular old desktop, it works kind of the same except you can't slide things around with your hand, you need to drag the slide bar at the bottom of the screen with your mouse.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I actually use Windows 8 and picked it up when it costed about £30 to upgrade, and honestly that's the highest I would pay for it. It's pretty much Windows 7 with a nice looking Metro Skin and much shorter boot up times.

For the question in hand, I'll pick windows ME. At the very least Vista had a reason to exist, yet windows ME was a pointless upgrade to 98. You couldn't reboot into MS-DOS and it was intensely buggy.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:50 AM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Oh yeah, there are, and I've used them. That's not part of the OS though.

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the splash screen, after reading several tutorials.

The Volcano Pokemon

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:30 AM
リザードン
I'm not listening to you

For me, it's Vista, hands down. 8 isn't too far off, but if a desktop version came out that is designed for a mouse and not a touchscreen, I would really like it more.
Old April 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Windows 8 is not as bad as people say, it's just a little tricky to get used to.
Anyhow for me it's Windows Vista I just do not like it at all.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
Oh yeah, there are, and I've used them. That's not part of the OS though.

I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the splash screen, after reading several tutorials
And that's the issue. W8 doesn't seem to be built for typical computer use, and trying to force it to do what it normally wouldn't appears to be an enduring task. Again, it feels more like a gaming platform (and as someone else said, tablet OS) than something for a PC. I can see it being used by eight-year-olds, not businessmen or students.

Also, if I still have to slide to get from one screen to another (non-touch), that's still annoying. I like my taskbar. Will stick with W7.

The French Club
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

I have seen some people use windows eight like magic, but I still will have XP over ANY other OS.

What do you all think of any OS with a Linux Kernel?<-- Core of the OS
I use CentOS in my virtual pc.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old April 9th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
I think that Mac OS 9 (Classic) was the worst OS ever. It still relied on atrocious data forks that made any file you tried to give it from a Windows based PC broken. It didn't have any way to change most options and had no underlying system that a user could use to fix problems if the GUI ever died or fix low-level problems not present in the GUI. It was also very limiting to developers.

It had some nice touches, but it really was no fun to use in the end.
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Playful_Weasel
I just want to play!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
For me the one I disliked the most was Win ME, it crashed a lot. I have only tried Vista, XP, ME, and 2000. I loved Vista but it got damaged by a virus, and I made the mistake of not making a restore CD so I had to downgrade to XP again (it messed up the laptop - my grandma now has it).

ME was the worst.
Watchog's #1 Fan!!
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
- FC on Trainer Card
Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill

Last edited by Playful_Weasel; April 9th, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianTrainer View Post
I loved Vista
I love Vista as well, its a cool stable, fast operating system

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:32 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Vista isn't horrible these days, but I still run into issues with it that I don't have on 7, especially when running games on it.

The Volcano Pokemon

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Just saw a commercial for W8. Again, child running around using finger paint apps only further supports my "children's OS" theory.

It looks so childish /sad

The French Club
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Vista.
It was so crappy I couldn't even bare to look at it when I had to use it...

Windows 8 is awesome btw

@Pichuevolution: +1
Old April 10th, 2013, 01:49 AM
R.F.
totally human

Nature: Calm
The OS as is isn't bad. The tools to maintain it are the problem. Even the worst OS can be made usable when given the right updates. I never had so much problems with any OS, except with Linux on my relatively new Laptop (damn you NVIDIA).
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Brane
-

Windows 8. I think in Microsofts effort to make every simple, they made it overly simple and completely no functional. I've used it, and I just don't understand why they'd push an operating system such as it to be cross platform. It is a horrid experience for a desktop computer and most laptops, even for touch devices it becomes very, very difficult to use because they make it simplistic.

I really dislike that OS. A lot of programs become difficult to use and navigation is made annoying and difficult in it's attempt to be easy. When I am using my laptop I tend to just Windows+R everything.

I'll be sticking with Windows 7 till they make something exactly like it, just upgraded for speed. But at the moment I'm extremely happy with it. Perfect in lot's of ways.

Also, not a fan of Apple OS's. I use them at University and will forever dislike them.
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Otter Mii-kun
Molly... ♥ ;)

Some of the worst operating systems I can think of are:

*Windows ME = Even though it ran on top of MS-DOS just like Windows 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 95, and 98, Microsoft made the boneheaded decision to disable access to real-mode DOS (both the "Command Prompt Only" option at boot and the "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" exit to DOS feature.) Also, the System Restore feature, while a nice addition, was highly vulnerable to compromise and other problems. The removal of real mode DOS led to rumors that WinME was redesigned to run without DOS, like Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8.

*Windows 8 = They came up with an interface clearly designed with smartphones and tablets in mind, and made a conventional desktop OS out of it, with said interface so difficult to wade through with a mouse. Great move eh?

Sponsored Links