The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Pokedude3012
Slayer of Milotics

Nature: Jolly
Hey guys, sorry to come back to help so often. Somethings been bugging me: how can I get someone to check how many pokemon you've seen/caught? I've looked at Oaks script but I cant make sense of it ;p
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:45 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokedude3012 View Post
Hey guys, sorry to come back to help so often. Somethings been bugging me: how can I get someone to check how many pokemon you've seen/caught? I've looked at Oaks script but I cant make sense of it ;p
There are a couple of specials dealing with this. Consult JPAN's Study on the Special and Special2 commands.

Paired with Simba
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:53 AM
hinkage
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ REDPILL

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
So in fire red is not possible? Someone would not be able to do it with asm?

You can without asm, using \c\h10\h02 which has basically the same effect: transparent textbox except for the border, only this makes the textbox transparent from the start, rather than the text itself having a transparent background. I have no idea why anyone would want to do this, it's ugly, but alright.

It's something like that, anyway. I'm not home so I can't check for sure, but I wanted to answer now so I wouldn't forget lawlz

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ʀᴀɪsᴇ ᴜʀ ᴅᴏɴɢᴇʀs ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:46 AM
trafalgar
Hasgana

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
You can without asm, using \c\h10\h02 which has basically the same effect: transparent textbox except for the border, only this makes the textbox transparent from the start, rather than the text itself having a transparent background. I have no idea why anyone would want to do this, it's ugly, but alright.

It's something like that, anyway. I'm not home so I can't check for sure, but I wanted to answer now so I wouldn't forget lawlz
Thanks for the reply, but I just tried using the code that you said and it does not work the same.
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:35 PM
verysuperfamous
Unhatched Egg

I was editing Fire Red and when I tried to load it up after making a few changes it wouldn't load, it would give me a white screen. So
#1 Does this mean the file is corrupted?
#2 Anyone know a way of fixing it or preventing it in the future?
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:45 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysuperfamous View Post
I was editing Fire Red and when I tried to load it up after making a few changes it wouldn't load, it would give me a white screen. So
#1 Does this mean the file is corrupted?
#2 Anyone know a way of fixing it or preventing it in the future?
1. Yes.
2. Make a back-up.

I have done this with hundreds of roms, it is all a part of learning, so always back up and make a list of changes so you can figure out where you went wrong.

Paired with Simba
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
verysuperfamous
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
1. Yes.
2. Make a back-up.

I have done this with hundreds of roms, it is all a part of learning, so always back up and make a list of changes so you can figure out where you went wrong.
NVM got it myself.

Anyway, how does one change the groups of towns? I did it once by accident so I know it's possible.

Last edited by verysuperfamous; April 9th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysuperfamous View Post
I have 2 backups and hopefully one of them is good. How do I go from BAK to ROM? Figured out I could load the backup but it's not found by the emulator so hopefully it's good.
Change the file extension:

PokemonFireRed.gba -> PokemonFireRed.bak -> PokemonFireRed.gba

Also, don't trust programs to back up for you. Do it yourself also.

Paired with Simba
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:31 PM
AXELXu7
Kusari Ninja

Nature: Quirky
First off, why do so many people use Firered as a base? Is it easier? I'm using Emerald as my hack due to the real time clock (For day/night cycle) and large soundtrack, but is Firered better?

Next question, can you kill the script that makes you spawn in a truck/ makes the truck sound/screen shaking? It makes no sense for my story.

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:39 PM
robin22gongon

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXELXu7 View Post
First off, why do so many people use Firered as a base? Is it easier? I'm using Emerald as my hack due to the real time clock (For day/night cycle) and large soundtrack, but is Firered better?

Next question, can you kill the script that makes you spawn in a truck/ makes the truck sound/screen shaking? It makes no sense for my story.
FireRed is a bit better since it has this new moves, new animations hack, BW2 Repel System, Mugshot System, etc.

For your second question, the search bar, Google and Yahoo are your friends.
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:37 AM
karatekid552

Quote:

There is a specific thread for this in the main Rom Hacking section. We also have a program called DNS which inserts an RTC into any rom, so RSE's clocks are useless.

There are several ways. The easiest is a program called "Truck Remover". It is slightly buggy on Emerald, but give it a try.

Paired with Simba
Old April 10th, 2013, 02:49 AM
robin22gongon

I have another question. How do I find the offset of a certain sprite using only VBA?

Is it safe to replace an Image with FF using a hex editor if I know the exact number of bytes?

When I use another border block in Palette town specifically the black empty tile, it turns like some glitchy blue wavy tiles. Why is that? How to fix?
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:03 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
I have another question. How do I find the offset of a certain sprite using only VBA?

Is it safe to replace an Image with FF using a hex editor if I know the exact number of bytes?

When I use another border block in Palette town specifically the black empty tile, it turns like some glitchy blue wavy tiles. Why is that? How to fix?
1) Open up the tile viewer and find the sprite. See the location it is in the memory, now go to that location in memory viewer and search for the bytes you find there in a hex editor.

2) Yes, as long as nothing trys to use that image after you erase it, but still be very careful.

3) That isn't a black tile, it is a transparent tile. You need to find an actualy black tile. (I'm not sure if Palette Town has one, but many maps do.) Also, you could try making your own black tile.

Paired with Simba
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM
AXELXu7
Kusari Ninja

Thanks for the help Karate Kid. Robin, the condescension is not required. I prefer to ask people than machines for help because as a rule, people are more creative.

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:39 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'

Nature: Careful
Quote:
can you kill the script that makes you spawn in a truck/ makes the truck sound/screen shaking? It makes no sense for my story.
If you haven't yet, here's the program/tool I use to remove the truck animation.
Clicky~
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:23 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

If I was to place a script on wild grass (or a similar behavior) what will happen in what order? Is there a chance I could enter a battle? Or do scripts always take precedence?

Edit: Also how do I know which maps display the picture (eg Mt. Moon displays a cave) on entering a map? Can you rid of them!?

Thanks!

Last edited by kearnseyboy6; April 10th, 2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: New question
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
I want to decapitalize some words by hex editing, but some words are small and I am afraid I would modify some data I shouldn't touch. Can I get some tips/help please?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know how to tell if a specific byte is actually part of some text or part of something else...? (other than converting a whole part of hex into text and verify if it makes a senseful sentence/word. >.<)

Last edited by Kurapika; April 11th, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:56 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnseyboy6 View Post
If I was to place a script on wild grass (or a similar behavior) what will happen in what order? Is there a chance I could enter a battle? Or do scripts always take precedence?

Thanks!
So far, from experience, it's the script that always takes priority before the wild grass tile.
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:59 AM
dkp
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
I want to decapitalize some words by hex editing, but some words are small and I am afraid I would modify some data I shouldn't touch. Can I get some tips/help please?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know how to tell if a specific byte is actually part of some text or part of something else...? (other than converting a whole part of hex into text and verify if it makes a senseful sentence/word. >.<)
I can't post links yet, but bear with me.

Download a text editor with support for table files.

romhacking dot net slash utilities slash 204

(dot = . ; slash = / )

Then copy the table in diegoisawesome's scripting guide:

showthread.php?t=164276

Into a text file, and name it with the extension .tbl

Open your rom with goldfinger, then from the same menu there will be another option to open one of multiple tables. Open your table.

In goldfinger, then press F7 (the equivalent of ctrl-F) and then ctrl-TAB (this switches it from hex mode to character mode). Then carefully search one at a time.

Technically, there isn't a way to tell. However, generally text is around other text and ends in the byte FF (\x per HackMew's syntax). If it's something like RACECAR and immeadiately surrounding it is taR and /-ç and a bunch of garbage characters it's likely command chains. If it's something like YES and next to it is two \x s with the words NO\x, MAYBE\x, SEE YA\x etc around you *might* have found the multichoice menu.

You might have to make a back up (don't rely on the text editor to do it for you) and make a yolo edit and pray the game still works - in such a case you might not notice if it's causing the rom problems or not. If in doubt, just accept it's unknown and don't change it.
Hey! If you're a tool maker or you have a resource to contribute, but you're not up to trying to make a guide, I'll be happy to try and write one up for you if you want. All I need is a pm and the offsets.
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:11 PM
robin22gongon

I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to port the POKeNAV to POKeMON FireRed? Not the one like in Liquid Crystal. I mean having it appear on the START MENU.
2) Is it not possible to import POKeMON or Trainer sprites larger than 64x64 pixels?
3) How to hack the Video RAM? I wanted to make Battle Box similar to BW but it needs a reposition of the HP and EXP Bar.
4) Sideview Battles?
5) Is it possible to insert 16 color sprites in the intro? I use FR
6) Is it not possible to make 2 savedata slots for FR?
7) How do I reposition where the Pokeball appears in the intro? My sprite had it's hand higher.

Last edited by robin22gongon; April 12th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:47 AM
madlukas971
Unhatched Egg

hay guys
i´m a german hacker
and i try to set new flight/healing places @pkm Emerald german version.
The problem is that ididnt find the mo...fuuu. offset to edit the bytes .
so i want to ask after the Englich offsets.
Than i could maybe research and get the offsets to set new Flight/healing places in german smaragd roms.

So i´m happy
if you had this offsets.

mfg madlukas971

edit sry for this bad english
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:47 AM
robin22gongon

Please help. Even just for how I insert 16 color sprites for intro.
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:58 AM
madlukas971
Unhatched Egg

When you use the you must replace the nidoran against the intro desired pkm
then you must also re-sort the pokedex with cpe and nidoran give to another agency, and insert both pkm the status values ​​and adjust the attacks.
should now appear in the desired intron pkm

sry its translate with google translator

mfg mad
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:05 AM
robin22gongon

No I meant change the position of where the Main Pokeball appears from Prof.'s hand.

Thanks for trying to help though.
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Liquid crystal fan

I have some questions

1. How do I add Pokemon to the game? How do you give them their official cry?

2.Is it possible to quickly replace an entire tileset in a ROM. For example is there a way to quickly switch out one Pokemon Center design with another?

3. How do you change OW's?

4. Is it possible to make Pokemon walk with you? How would you do that?

5. How do hackers edit the save-file type? The thing that causes some hacks to only work on VBA and not the actual GBA.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links