The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
While I'm sure that different generations of the game have different criteria. I was struggling to find then answer. There is just so much too do in the game, by a "completionist's" standards..when are you done?
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:55 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I'm no completionist by any means, but I define it by the clearing of the game, post game content, and getting all secrets (if there are any?). Also the completion of any sort of collection(s?), National Pokedex, and what not in-game. And oh look! You have a Backloggery *clicks*

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Sydian
revolution

Nature: Timid
Whenever the challenge rules say it's over. :P When making challenges and having to set a completion point though, I usually have it as Champion Rival (RBY/FRLG), Red (GSC/HGSS), Steven (RSE), Cynthia (DPPt), Ghetsis (BW), and Iris (B2W2). If I'm doing a regular playthrough, first round E4 is always the end for me.

Play the game to change the game
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Anna
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
SYddy's challenge completion rules are pretty much normal completion rules for me. Which means I haven't actually beaten either HeartGold or Black. I'm working on ittttt.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Beating champion and post game story and then some battling facility if it is present in game.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Brendino
Oh good grief.

Nature: Quiet
Usually I'll consider the game complete once I've beaten the Elite Four/Champion (obviously), and then finished up any post-game content if it's available. Aside from FireRed I've never bothered completing the Pokedex, but I guess at that point there's really nothing left to do but start over.

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:32 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabor62 View Post
I'm no completionist by any means, but I define it by the clearing of the game, post game content, and getting all secrets (if there are any?). Also the completion of any sort of collection(s?), National Pokedex, and what not in-game. And oh look! You have a Backloggery *clicks*
lol be careful with that backloggery it's a bit...in transition since I only keep the games I own on there and I just sold my 360. Lord if I kept track of any game I ever played...ugh

Ahem...back on topic

Hmm...does anyone consider maxing out their trainer card part of the package? Is that something that's thrown into the "post-game topic" area?
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM
TBIF

For me:

Catch favorite pokes, beat elite four, post game stuff, complete regional dex, start over.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:40 PM
rliberto2

When all the post-game stuff is over. The Pokedex completion I believe is only necessary for one game. Like if you own Soul Silver and Platinum it would be pretty redundant and pointless to complete it in both games.. one of them YES though
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Minato Arisato
Memento mori...

I don't. I usually get bored before I finish the game, then get hit with a wave of nostalgia and restart the whole thing. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher View Post
Hmm...does anyone consider maxing out their trainer card part of the package? Is that something that's thrown into the "post-game topic" area?
I don't really care about my trainer card aside from nature and sign so this doesn't fall into my post-game category.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:39 AM
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I consider a game completed once I clear the main story, beat the Elite Four and complete all of the post-game stuff. I don't count completing the National Pokedex something I have to do in order to complete the game cause I have never finished it. I normally don't restart my games either so I usually find things to do in the game after I think I've finished the game, which does include completing the Pokedex.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:12 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Normally when I've beat the post-game stuff and catch all available legendaries do I call it quits for the games. Essentially when there's nothing else to do but Battle Tower-like things.
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:20 AM
JoeSchneider
Unhatched Egg

If everything to defeat is defeated(major ones, like champions,frontiers, not street trainers like picnicker,youngster, etc.)If every legendary has been captured. and if every place has been visited.

Lv 44Lv 44Lv 46
Gym Badges: 7
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:04 AM
ABGamer
Unhatched Egg

Complete, I consider a pokemon game complete when I've at the very least beat the champion (or any other opponents (red in Johto games and steven in Emerald) and completed the regional pokedex, although some other games (Fire Red and Heart Gold) I'll try to do some others things such as catching the legendary dog in fire red or catching other legendaries such as kyogre and groudon in heart gold.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
Complete to me is when Completed the main story, done all the side quests and caught all the legends that there is.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Arlo

In normal play, I don't consider the game ever completed. All of my past characters are living in all or those past games right now, and I even go back and revisit them from time to time. Even if they've seen everything there is to see and caught everything there is to catch, they're still there, so the games still aren't "complete."

Challenges are the only thing that I think can be "completed," and that's because there's a specific goal of "completing" the game under specific conditions. For those, I think it's self-evident that they're complete when the credits roll and the game actually says "The End" or "Fin" or what-have-you.

And I could rant about how asinine the common challenge rules are regarding Black and White, but I'll save that for another thread.
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Struggler

In RBY you're done if you have a full Pokedex and Mewtwo under your own ID. For everything else, imo you need a shiny from each family(bar some legendaries), which is impossible outside of hacking but that's my deluded aim! But even at that, you can always go back to wifi battles
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Darkroman

Nature: Adamant
For me, completing a Pokemon game would mean defeating all trainers (path, gym, elite, champions, including the 2nd post-game rematches), collecting all the ground items (including the hidden items), and catching all available pokemon in that particular version (grass, water, cave, legendary, swarm, trees, safari zone, not including the other choices for starters and multiple choice bonus Pokemon). I haven't touched my HeartGold game in a little while, but I was sure I got almost all hidden items, but I'm not even close to catching all the Pokemon available in that version).
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:28 AM
lynds

Nature: Relaxed
Complete main story, beat Elite Four and all things after that.
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:36 AM
MeerFall
Strong, Competitive, Cool!

Nature: Brave
I consider it complete after completing the story, beating the champion then collect all the legendaries.

That is all I do in any pokemon game.
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Completing a game is far by the most difficult thing to come across in a standard Pokémon came. This is due to the presence of many reasonable objectives to finish. For example, I take the very first game I have ever devoted reasonable progress in the hope of completing it, Pokémon Ruby. I can list out the objectives as:

★Beating the Elite Four -
★Getting Master Ribbons in all contests - ★★★★
★Getting through a 100 win-streak in the Battle Tower - ★★★
★Completing the Regional Pokédex - ★★★★
★Completing the National Pokédex - ★★★★★

As you can see, not all of the objectives are simple, some are fairly hard, some even downright impossible. Which is why it is extremely rare to come across a completed game. Thus, I classify my qualifications of 'completing' a game as:

★Beating the Elite Four (twice, if needed)
★Completing the Post-Game Storyline

... and that pretty much sums it up.
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:23 AM
R.F.
Badass Overlord

I have my own criteria depending on the generations:
Gen 1/2: completed, if everything important done and Pokedex finished (not counting Celebi)
Gen 3: completed, if everything story related done and all catchable Pokemon catched (excluding trades, events)
Gen 4/5: completed, if everything story related done and all legendaries catched (excluding trades, events)
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:48 AM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

I got two ways of 'Completed'

Main story completed & Game completion.

Main story completed is when I finish the main story that the game gives us and the credit is seen rolling over.

Game Completion is when I catch every single Pokemon, finish every sidequest and finish every single thing that the game as offered us. Like the Battle Tower, Pokeathlon, catching all the Pokemon & Pokedex completion etc.
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Meeklish
Sugarbby ::.

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to Meeklish
I consider my games completed when..

* Beat highest ranking trainer (Champion, Red, Gamefreak)
* Caught all the legendaries
* Finished the Frontier/Contests/Pokeathlon
* Made the post game dream team (shinies and all that) and beat the E4 with it

...Yep~ But sometimes I skip the third one saying it's complete but meh.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links