• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
@ Pretty much everyone - The best way to work out if it (the cafe thing) will work is to just try it and find out I figure we can all agree on that rather than discussing it further and starting arguments.

@ Patchisou - Are you in PTA? They allow images rather than a written description for memory and the RP involves a lot of interaction. Echo has predetermined appearances, and has an available spot I believe but it has little interaction. Forsaken has some unique interaction focus but looks like Wolf wants a great deal of detail in SUs. My RPs (Survival Challenge v2, Novia and Reapers) involve a lot of interaction (especially Reapers and PSC2) but agian, require a decent physical description. Does that help any?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Sounds like I'll just have to make my own up, I suppose! I don't like sign up sheets that allow you to use an image to show your character, because I'm really anal about character consistency and there are some people who would probably use a real human while there are others who would probably choose an anime character, and anime characters on their own have so many different art styles. Things like that bother me a great deal.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Sounds like I'll just have to make my own up, I suppose! I don't like sign up sheets that allow you to use an image to show your character, because I'm really anal about character consistency and there are some people who would probably use a real human while there are others who would probably choose an anime character, and anime characters on their own have so many different art styles. Things like that bother me a great deal.

I'm just curious; how would you make one? Because I do like where your coming from, but I'm just wondering how the Roleplay can accept people.. and so on.

Khawill

<3
Years
I like the SUs being based entirely on a RP post, though that kind of excludes new RPers (but then again, maybe you would want vets anyways if that was the case, in which case, that is the perfect solution.) Personally whenever I see a sample section, I use the same sample.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
The Pokemon Trainer's Academy recently adopted a second Sign-Up format that heavily lowers the amount of work you need to put into a character's history or personality in favor of writing a sample post.

I currently offer people the choice of which type of SU they want to fill out.

The regular SU requires a 150 word personality and 350 word history minimum. The sample post SU only requires a 50 word personality and a 100 word history. Here's a copy and past of the sign-up template from the thread right now.

Spoiler:

Personally I'd like to see other RPs adopt more flexible styles of SUs like this.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Personally, I think the more set-in-stone sign ups work better. I don't know about anyone else, but often times I have a huge problem choosing a character for an rp. Just for Atlantis I went through six or seven characters before I sort of merge two together. If I didn't have the set history, personality, and other things I would likely change all of those around so much that they don't make sense. Like, one day I'll feel like having this character over this one, or have them act like that rather than this. The sign ups kinda force me to have the same guy every post, which is really hard for me to do I guess

But yeah for everyone else I dunno maybe a looser sign up is better

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I've been having a RP laying around my UCP notepad for months now. That SU wants the applicant to list a few defining characteristical traits, both negative and positive, as well as a few keywords or brief descriptions of hobbies and interests. The biography section comes last in the SU and is optional for those who want to flesh out their character in some way.

Then there's a whole bunch of other sections in that SU too, like choosing powers and titles related to the RP and listing family members and stuff. I believe a "loose" SU like this will work the best for this particular RP.

But I still see no wrong in demanding a well thought out and possibly long personality/history/biography from applicants. Often, I have an idea for a character and flesh it out as I go about writing the SU, going back to change things as I come up with more.

Something I've realized lately is that it is easier for me to write personalities if I just list the defining traits first to get a good overall picture and then weave them together in an explaining text. That way, a lot of redundancy can be avoided.

Maybe others already did it like this ^^

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
I've been having a RP laying around my UCP notepad for months now. That SU wants the applicant to list a few defining characteristical traits, both negative and positive, as well as a few keywords or brief descriptions of hobbies and interests. The biography section comes last in the SU and is optional for those who want to flesh out their character in some way.

Then there's a whole bunch of other sections in that SU too, like choosing powers and titles related to the RP and listing family members and stuff. I believe a "loose" SU like this will work the best for this particular RP.

But I still see no wrong in demanding a well thought out and possibly long personality/history/biography from applicants. Often, I have an idea for a character and flesh it out as I go about writing the SU, going back to change things as I come up with more.

Something I've realized lately is that it is easier for me to write personalities if I just list the defining traits first to get a good overall picture and then weave them together in an explaining text. That way, a lot of redundancy can be avoided.

Maybe others already did it like this ^^

Speaking of which, that rp needs to be moved from your notepad to the forums :P

Come onnnnnn

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Hah, not for quite a while. I'm a ghost now, haven't you noticed? *appears too often to really be a ghost*
... but it's checkmate's remake, as I'm sure you can guess ;)

But yeah, there's not many non-pokémon RPs going these days, I feel.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I'm sort of wondering how an SU can be changed...

I mean, usually it's the standard:

~ Name
~ Age
~ Appearance
~ Personality
~ History
~ Misc (that relates to the RP in question)
~ RP Sample

But, hm, could the SU be set up in such a way that makes you sort of have to think about your character in his/her's own perspective? Or in other words... let's say that you were the character your self. What would you say in a specific situation?

Like for example:

~ If you see a wallet on the ground, would you take it, or give it back to it's owner?
~ Would you kill to save a life?

And so on. Well, granted, yeah, I've seen SUs like that before, but, I was wondering what everyone else thinks of something like this. Or, then again, maybe a SU can be set to be a short as possible:

~ Name
~ (misc that relates to the RP)

And the rest has to come from you, during the actual RP. Basically, you create your character's own history and personality right on the spot.

Any thoughts at all? :)

Years
Whilst others may like that method, and I can certainly appreciate the possibilities, I don't particularly like it. It doesn't leave other RPers much to work with (which is more important than people think sometimes, depending on the RP), doesn't leave you yourself much too work with and I like that a more detailed SU locks in the fundamentals of your character both preventing crazy personality shifts (unless they are part of the character), appearance changes and of course providing you with a reference point if you are in several RPs.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Question: Would any of you roleplayers be interested in an RP adaptation of Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger? The basis would, of course, be an English adaptation (thus making it a Power Rangers RP), but I'm having an interest check before creating it.

27514-new_kyoryuger_scans_header.jpg

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
@Turtleking Depends on the rating, I think. Much as I loved Power Rangers in my younger days (and still do), I would need a much more realistic and mature version of it to capture my interest as a Roleplay.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
@Synthet - That's the goal of this RP. It will be a more mature version of Power Rangers (characters in their 20s) and likewise they will deal with adult problems, emotions, etc. No kiddie stuff here. -thumbs up-

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Then I'd certainly be interested in seeing the write-up/opening post. Would it be an original setting/group of villains/Zordon-esque figure or would you use one of the existing formats?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
What do you guys do to help your motivations / inspirations?

I'm just wondering, because before I make another RP, I really want to get my motivation up to the maximum so that the RP can see it through... even though there was a guide I've written about this, I just want to hear your opinions of the matter. D:

...I mean I can make RPs just fine, but, I just want some advice.. :(

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
What do you guys do to help your motivations / inspirations?

I'm just wondering, because before I make another RP, I really want to get my motivation up to the maximum so that the RP can see it through... even though there was a guide I've written about this, I just want to hear your opinions of the matter. D:

...I mean I can make RPs just fine, but, I just want some advice.. :(

I don't think I'm really suited for it... since I haven't made a RP of my own yet (although I have one that's been lying around in my head for a while which I really wanna get out), but once I do I think a main motivation of mine would be just to see it through. Watch people enjoy it. That stuff.

...Then again, that's what most people might say, so I guess it may not be the best advice :/

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Well, the only thing I can think of Miss Doronjo is to give yourself command of npcs as the gm. Actually doing some rping instead of just gm work and such should make it more fun....

but i suppose you probably already thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back