• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I have another question. How do I find the offset of a certain sprite using only VBA?

Is it safe to replace an Image with FF using a hex editor if I know the exact number of bytes?

When I use another border block in Palette town specifically the black empty tile, it turns like some glitchy blue wavy tiles. Why is that? How to fix?

1) Open up the tile viewer and find the sprite. See the location it is in the memory, now go to that location in memory viewer and search for the bytes you find there in a hex editor.

2) Yes, as long as nothing trys to use that image after you erase it, but still be very careful.

3) That isn't a black tile, it is a transparent tile. You need to find an actualy black tile. (I'm not sure if Palette Town has one, but many maps do.) Also, you could try making your own black tile.

AXELXu7

Kusari Ninja
Years
Thanks for the help Karate Kid. Robin, the condescension is not required. I prefer to ask people than machines for help because as a rule, people are more creative.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
If I was to place a script on wild grass (or a similar behavior) what will happen in what order? Is there a chance I could enter a battle? Or do scripts always take precedence?

Edit: Also how do I know which maps display the picture (eg Mt. Moon displays a cave) on entering a map? Can you rid of them!?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Years
I want to decapitalize some words by hex editing, but some words are small and I am afraid I would modify some data I shouldn't touch. Can I get some tips/help please?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know how to tell if a specific byte is actually part of some text or part of something else...? (other than converting a whole part of hex into text and verify if it makes a senseful sentence/word. >.<)

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
If I was to place a script on wild grass (or a similar behavior) what will happen in what order? Is there a chance I could enter a battle? Or do scripts always take precedence?

Thanks!

So far, from experience, it's the script that always takes priority before the wild grass tile.

dkp

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
I want to decapitalize some words by hex editing, but some words are small and I am afraid I would modify some data I shouldn't touch. Can I get some tips/help please?

EDIT: Also, does anyone know how to tell if a specific byte is actually part of some text or part of something else...? (other than converting a whole part of hex into text and verify if it makes a senseful sentence/word. >.<)

I can't post links yet, but bear with me.

Download a text editor with support for table files.

romhacking dot net slash utilities slash 204

(dot = . ; slash = / )

Then copy the table in diegoisawesome's scripting guide:

showthread.php?t=164276

Into a text file, and name it with the extension .tbl

Open your rom with goldfinger, then from the same menu there will be another option to open one of multiple tables. Open your table.

In goldfinger, then press F7 (the equivalent of ctrl-F) and then ctrl-TAB (this switches it from hex mode to character mode). Then carefully search one at a time.

Technically, there isn't a way to tell. However, generally text is around other text and ends in the byte FF (\x per HackMew's syntax). If it's something like RACECAR and immeadiately surrounding it is taR and /-ç and a bunch of garbage characters it's likely command chains. If it's something like YES and next to it is two \x s with the words NO\x, MAYBE\x, SEE YA\x etc around you *might* have found the multichoice menu.

You might have to make a back up (don't rely on the text editor to do it for you) and make a yolo edit and pray the game still works - in such a case you might not notice if it's causing the rom problems or not. If in doubt, just accept it's unknown and don't change it.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to port the POKeNAV to POKeMON FireRed? Not the one like in Liquid Crystal. I mean having it appear on the START MENU.
2) Is it not possible to import POKeMON or Trainer sprites larger than 64x64 pixels?
3) How to hack the Video RAM? I wanted to make Battle Box similar to BW but it needs a reposition of the HP and EXP Bar.
4) Sideview Battles?
5) Is it possible to insert 16 color sprites in the intro? I use FR
6) Is it not possible to make 2 savedata slots for FR?
7) How do I reposition where the Pokeball appears in the intro? My sprite had it's hand higher.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
hay guys
i´m a german hacker
and i try to set new flight/healing places @pkm Emerald german version.
The problem is that ididnt find the mo...fuuu. offset to edit the bytes .
so i want to ask after the Englich offsets.
Than i could maybe research and get the offsets to set new Flight/healing places in german smaragd roms.

So i´m happy
if you had this offsets.

mfg madlukas971

edit sry for this bad english

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
When you use the you must replace the nidoran against the intro desired pkm
then you must also re-sort the pokedex with cpe and nidoran give to another agency, and insert both pkm the status values ​​and adjust the attacks.
should now appear in the desired intron pkm

sry its translate with google translator

mfg mad

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
No I meant change the position of where the Main Pokeball appears from Prof.'s hand.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
I have some questions

1. How do I add Pokemon to the game? How do you give them their official cry?

2.Is it possible to quickly replace an entire tileset in a ROM. For example is there a way to quickly switch out one Pokemon Center design with another?

3. How do you change OW's?

4. Is it possible to make Pokemon walk with you? How would you do that?

5. How do hackers edit the save-file type? The thing that causes some hacks to only work on VBA and not the actual GBA.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
I have some questions

1. How do I add Pokemon to the game? How do you give them their official cry?

2.Is it possible to quickly replace an entire tileset in a ROM. For example is there a way to quickly switch out one Pokemon Center design with another?

3. How do you change OW's?

4. Is it possible to make Pokemon walk with you? How would you do that?

5. How do hackers edit the save-file type? The thing that causes some hacks to only work on VBA and not the actual GBA.

A lot of these can be answered by threads already open, so be sure to check next time.
First, always say the ROM you are using.
In Order:
1. Here's a tutorial: Tutorial
2. I'm not sure. Don't work too much with tilesets myself.
3. Another tutorial: Inserting new OWs
4. Research and Development on that, called the Follow Me Script: R+D
5. IDK about that either.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
For your 5th question, I don't think you can at all. I'm not quite sure how save-states work, but I don't think you can edit them.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Thanks! I looked but I couldn't find the info. And if anyone would be answer my second and fifth question that'd be cool.

2) Do you mean swap them out on the fly while the game is running? Or just completely insert a new one. There are tons of tutorials for inserting new tiles.

5) They rewrite the ASM routine which controls saving. JPAN did this in order to make it more efficient and to free up some RAM space. His first try failed to save on GBA hardware, but he rewrote it again and this time it does work on GBA hardware. This is just one example.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
Like changing the all the poke centers in the game out with another one. I was trying with Advance map but it only works with tiles in fourths.
So you mean the outside or the inside of the PokeCenters? Or both?
Tileset 0 in Advance Map has the outside of the pokecenters.
Tileset 14 is the inside of a pokecenter.
I don't know how to edit either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back