The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
The announcement for AC4 really does feel too soon when they just released AC3 last year. Is it just me, or is Ubisoft slowly losing a bit of their respect to the gaming community ever since they delayed Rayman Legends?

Also, guys, has anyone seen this news: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/13...free-3ds-tech/

I tend to question the individual who delays his/her action to sue a company for infringement.
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Drag-On Dragoon 3 was confirmed a couple of days ago for the PS3, anyone else giddy? Nier was awesome, from what I tried at a friends house, and the first two are pretty awesome on the PS2. Definitely considering a PS3 more then ever now.
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:11 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Assassin's Creed is now pretty much Ubisoft's Call of Duty.

Anyway, Enclave is giving me trouble in Fallout 2. Whole base got alerted and now I have to fight everyone. Those damn turrets keep killing me.

Last edited by CarcharOdin; March 16th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:24 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
Assassin's Creed is now pretty much Ubisoft's Call of Duty.
Funny, because this is what Ubisoft said about an annual release of Assassin's Creed games: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/03/30...me-every-year/

I'm really curious on what sort of AC fans they're talking about.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:41 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
...everyone keeps buying the AC franchise when it comes out every year. It still makes tons of money with each release. That alone is enough reason for them to keep releasing them. Not only does it pad their wallet and give them an excuse to pump out more AC, but it also lets them funnel some of that money into other projects, be that new IPs or existing IPs that they want to tackle again but don't always have the budget for.

I mean, I'm among those who've stopped buying them every year. I used to get them on release day, for AC:R, I waited until Christmas... and I haven't even picked up AC3 yet. I don't even know if I'll buy it by the time AC4 comes out. But I'm only one fan out of thousands upon thousands. Even people who say "yeah, I'd prefer if AC didn't come out annually" are still buying it annually so they've really said a completely different thing with their wallet. u_u

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old March 31st, 2013, 10:43 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

I've never bought an Assassin's Creed game but always been tempted. But my list of games is so backlogged...
Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Just a talking point, in case any of you are interested: Star Wars 1313 has been canceled due to Disney's shutting down LucasArts.

Oh, false alarm, people official statements can be found here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/03/di...ses-lucasarts/

and here:
http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/03/disn...ublishing-arm/

It hasn't been closed down, but there have been a number of layoffs across the board and a diversion away from the gaming industry.

Last edited by machomuu; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Azure Rathalδs
the power within
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Just a talking point, in case any of you are interested: Star Wars 1313 has been canceled due to Disney's shutting down LucasArts.

Oh, false alarm, people official statements can be found here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/03/di...ses-lucasarts/

and here:
http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/03/disn...ublishing-arm/

It hasn't been closed down, but there have been a number of layoffs across the board and a diversion away from the gaming industry.
Ouch! 2013 hasn't been a good year so far in the video games industry.

Oh yeah, this has also happened in europe:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine....-in-the-works/

So Devil Survivor Overclocked is apparently unplayable with Ghostlight's localization. They're working on a patch, but this is really incompetent and makes me question the reliability of publishers to release a working quality product *ahem*SimCity*ahem*.

Last edited by Azure Rathalδs; April 4th, 2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: nice spelling para, have you checked your birthplace?
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Yeah. I heard DSO had a ton of bugs that rendered the game almost unplayable. I wonder if they'll be issuing a recall.

Might as well ask, I have Flow Free, Cut The Rope and Teeter, but what are some decent Android games? I'm not much for Hill Top Racer or Angry Birds, and I'm out of ideas.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old April 4th, 2013, 10:25 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Yeah. I heard DSO had a ton of bugs that rendered the game almost unplayable. I wonder if they'll be issuing a recall.

Might as well ask, I have Flow Free, Cut The Rope and Teeter, but what are some decent Android games? I'm not much for Hill Top Racer or Angry Birds, and I'm out of ideas.
If your asking about free to play...idk.. I really like Temple Run or some of it's better clones (Subway Surfers or Agent Dash) but those don't really have an objective to them.

I've been playing Final Fantasy Dimensions and have been enjoying it, although that game is about 20.00 and I got it when it was on sale for 10.00. For much cheaper you could get McPixel and that game...well...it's amazing.

Spoiler:
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

The only sales that I remember taking advantage towards was Disagea: Hour of Darkness for the DS, for about $20.00, as well as Apollo Justice for about the same price. They were both really worth the investment for being such great games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher View Post
I've been playing Final Fantasy Dimensions and have been enjoying it, although that game is about 20.00 and I got it when it was on sale for 10.00. For much cheaper you could get McPixel and that game...well...it's amazing.

Spoiler:
I'm glad that you're enjoying FF Dimensions; I remember playing that game once, and, I did enjoy it myself, but unfortunately, I didn't get to finish it because it was only burrowed from my friends. I have to say, that McPixel game looked sort of weird to me at first, because I haven't heard of a completely pixelated game, other than the games for the NES, so I guess the style stood out to me. Anywho, it does it look interesting!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:19 AM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Anybody else pick up a copy of Bioshock Infinite? And if so how are you enjoying it?
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:22 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Quote:

I'm not a Mobile Gamer, so I can't really help you out here, but Lord British is supposedly bringing Ultima Forever to the Android (and PC) sometime after the iOS release, so that's something worth checking out.
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:21 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post

I'm glad that you're enjoying FF Dimensions; I remember playing that game once, and, I did enjoy it myself, but unfortunately, I didn't get to finish it because it was only burrowed from my friends. I have to say, that McPixel game looked sort of weird to me at first, because I haven't heard of a completely pixelated game, other than the games for the NES, so I guess the style stood out to me. Anywho, it does it look interesting!

Yes, although admittedly I havn't gotten to far in the game yet. I can see where it might become mediocore in the long run, but at the moment I'm on too much of a nostagia rush to care! :3
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Spinosaurus
Your favorite Pokemon sucks.

So I'm just about to dive into Advance Wars without knowing anything about it aside from the fact it's from the guys behind Fire Emblem and it's an SRPG like it. After hearing about Intelligent's System interest in coming back to that I wanted to see why everyone likes it so much.

Am I in for something good? I like Fire Emblem (not Awakening's modern anime artstyle and waifu ******** though.) so the idea of a cartoony military version of it sounds so neat, but I don't know the differences between them. Can someone fill me in without getting too spoilery? Since I won't be playing for a while but would like to know. EDIT: OK, so it's not an RPG. Just found out.

Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 is the best 3DS game out there. So good. Expected nothing less from the developers of the brilliance that is Punch Out on the Wii. Just beat it and anyone who has the 3DS must own it. It just beat 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising for me and so easily too. It's also better the original, and I loved that game.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; April 5th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Oh, the two are incredibly different. They're not as character based, no permadeaths, you can spawn and respawn units, there's more capture involved, and the stories are lighter...well, except for my personal favorite in the series, Days of Ruin (which is ball-bustingly hard).

I definitely recommend Days of Ruin. The story is the best I've seen so far and the art is also very good, an interesting departure from the series' normal art style. Oh, and it's dark. Very dark. Not 999 dark...more Devil Survivor (2) dark.
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
So I'm just about to dive into Advance Wars without knowing anything about it aside from the fact it's from the guys behind Fire Emblem and it's an SRPG like it. After hearing about Intelligent's System interest in coming back to that I wanted to see why everyone likes it so much.

Am I in for something good? I like Fire Emblem (not Awakening's modern anime artstyle and waifu ******** though.) so the idea of a cartoony military version of it sounds so neat, but I don't know the differences between them. Can someone fill me in without getting too spoilery? Since I won't be playing for a while but would like to know. EDIT: OK, so it's not an RPG. Just found out.
You're essentially just controlling units in Advance wars, while in Fire Emblem, each unit is a completely different individual with its own backstory, dialogues and possibilities. So... that's what also makes permadeath an important thing in the series: you can easily grow attached to one of your characters,and then have that unit accidentally die in battle.

Therefore, if you like character customization, stats, weapons, and all that, you'd probably prefer Fire Emblem, and If you like pure strategy, you would probably prefer Advance Wars. But, imo, they're both great series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Also, Luigi's Mansion 2 is the best 3DS game out there. So good. Expected nothing less from the developers of the brilliance that is Punch Out on the Wii. Just beat it and anyone who has the 3DS must own it. It just beat 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising for me and so easily too. It's also better the original, and I loved that game.
Yeah, I love the game too; it's definately right up there with Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening, imo.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Luigi's Mansion 2 really is amazing, even though the missions really did limit my time of exploration throughout each mansion trying to find hidden cash and boos.

BTW, this guys is predicting another video game crash that's affecting all companies but Microsoft due to the effects of the recession in 2008. here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxXEidtxHk

You think he's correct? Is he the end all God analyist on video game quality?
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
I know if there's another Video Game crash, that Nintendo will already have a leg up with the Wii U. That's mostly because, as it seems, the next Xbox will have always-online DRM incorporated into the system, which will probably drive sales away, and it's likely with the PS4. Since Nintendo doesn't yet have such ridiculous DRM in their system, they'll have a customer base that doesn't have to worry about such crazy restrictions implemented in their system. They know this is the right thing to do because they also have successful handhelds, namely, every single handheld they released. They realize that always-online DRM is just crazy, so if the next consoles from Sony and MS have such DRM, expect their sales to only go downhill.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old April 6th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Spinosaurus
Your favorite Pokemon sucks.

Quote:
Oh, the two are incredibly different. They're not as character based, no permadeaths, you can spawn and respawn units, there's more capture involved, and the stories are lighter...well, except for my personal favorite in the series, Days of Ruin (which is ball-bustingly hard).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
You're essentially just controlling units in Advance wars, while in Fire Emblem, each unit is a completely different individual with its own backstory, dialogues and possibilities. So... that's what also makes permadeath an important thing in the series: you can easily grow attached to one of your characters,and then have that unit accidentally die in battle.

Therefore, if you like character customization, stats, weapons, and all that, you'd probably prefer Fire Emblem, and If you like pure strategy, you would probably prefer Advance Wars. But, imo, they're both great series.
Thanks. Sounds pretty awesome. Can't wait to try to give it a try later. Never was a fan of RPGs so a pure strategy sounds pretty great to me, as great as Fire Emblem is.

Good to know about no permadeaths. It works in Fire Emblem because it's an RPG but I don't want to keep restarting whenever a character I like dies in a pure strategy game. lol

Quote:
I definitely recommend Days of Ruin. The story is the best I've seen so far and the art is also very good, an interesting departure from the series' normal art style. Oh, and it's dark. Very dark. Not 999 dark...more Devil Survivor (2) dark.
I'm gonna start the game chronologically if I end up liking the first game, so I'm afraid that's gonna be the last one for me to try. Though I took a look and I can't say I like the new artstyle and darker tone, since the real reason I even considered trying the series is because of the cartoony charm it looks to have. I also don't like the character designs. (Except for this guy. He's a bad guy right? Hope he is. Amazing design.)

Also was looking to expand on my GBA library. Any recommendations? I used to have a lot of games but most of them were bootlegs. Right now I have the ambassador games, Rhythm Tengoku (CIB!), Warioware Twisted (CIB!), Pokemon R/S/E (had leaf green, but lost it) and Advance Wars soon. I wanted Fire Emblem 7 but jesus the prices are ridiculous. Right now I'm looking towards getting Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting seeing as that's one of my favorite animes and the game's apparently good. Is Dragon Ball Advance Adventures good? Big fan of the original Dragon Ball. (I also liked Buu's Fury back then but it doesn't appeal to me anymore, and I hate the Buu Saga anyway lol.)

Last edited by Spinosaurus; April 6th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old April 6th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Quote:
I know if there's another Video Game crash, that Nintendo will already have a leg up with the Wii U. That's mostly because, as it seems, the next Xbox will have always-online DRM incorporated into the system, which will probably drive sales away, and it's likely with the PS4. Since Nintendo doesn't yet have such ridiculous DRM in their system, they'll have a customer base that doesn't have to worry about such crazy restrictions implemented in their system. They know this is the right thing to do because they also have successful handhelds, namely, every single handheld they released. They realize that always-online DRM is just crazy, so if the next consoles from Sony and MS have such DRM, expect their sales to only go downhill.
But according to the guy from the video, Nintendo may be the new victim to this hypothethical video game crash for being behind from Microsoft and Sony in terms of hardware.
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:18 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
But according to the guy from the video, Nintendo may be the new victim to this hypothethical video game crash for being behind from Microsoft and Sony in terms of hardware.
hardware usually isn't the defining issue though. If that's what was the key component in a consumers choice then Sony would have a domination in the market. Although I could see Nintendo falling victim (or possible gain) from a video game crash because both Sony and Microsoft have assets in things besides Gaming Consoles, if there isn't a profit in it, they could always move on.

and then sega can swoop in and wow us with the Dreamcast 2, revitilizing the market, and making all my dreams come true...
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:58 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I got into Planescape: Torment a lot better than I thought I would. It really is an interesting game and I'm so looking forward to Torment: Tides of Numenera.
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Jolly
I thought this would be a good time to bring it up and all, pre-release with all the discussion going on now. Especially with the 3rd season of it recently ending (most of you should know what I am talking about now).

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

I am really looking forward to this. I haven't had an awful amount of time to have an in-depth look at it yet because of refurbishments and my computer being moved round. What I really love is that you get to play Daryl; he has grown such a fan base, and me being a fan, am looking forward to killing some zombies with his trademark crossbow. Not too sure if they have mentioned anything of the sort, but I would love if his character traits were included such as tracking and hunting. But with hunting comes tracking, so if his hunting skills are included I would expect to have tracking thrown in there, too.
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:12 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

I've only heard mediocre things about the game. I still havn't had the chance to play it, but I've looked at some reviews and first impressions videos and they don't look too kindly on the game. Of course at the end of the day it's your decision to make, but from what I can tell you might just want to rent it first.

Here are a few reviews for the game.

Spoiler:

Sponsored Links