Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:56 AM
CMPUNK1
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male

Advertise here
Hi

I was massive fan of Pokemon back when I was a kid and played Pokemon Red extensively and completely understood the concept the locations and the 150 Pokemon. I also played Pokemon Gold but for the life of me the majority of Pokemon/Locations/Concepts/Storyline has not stuck with me because it has been such a long time.

I have recently got myself a Nintendo DSi XL and will start playing the games again but obviously since the last time I have played there have been a lot of new Pokemon games, story developments, locations, new Pokemon which is a little overwhelming.

My questions are regarding you updating me and helping me fill in some of the blanks, obviously a lot will be filled in from playing the games.

Main things I would like to know.

1. Do story lines continue from game to game?

2. What is the chronological orderings of the games?

3. Were are the new games set and how do they relate to each other and the first Pokemon Red?

4. Do the games relate to the TV Series?

5. I find this difficult to explain but I will try. The whole plot/scenarios and locations of Pokemon Red made sense to me but the new games confuse me because I don't understand were these new locations are, who new characters are and were these new Pokemon came from.

Collecting 150 Pokemon, Getting all 8 badges and becoming the Pokemon League Champion was the ultimate aim. So how has it developed from this?



I want to start at Platinum and work my way up to X and Y eventually but before I start I just want to understand how the Pokemon game world has changed so much since I left.

Also if you could give me any other information that you think could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
  #2    
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:16 AM
BraveNewWorld's Avatar
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPUNK1 View Post
Hi

I was massive fan of Pokemon back when I was a kid and played Pokemon Red extensively and completely understood the concept the locations and the 150 Pokemon. I also played Pokemon Gold but for the life of me the majority of Pokemon/Locations/Concepts/Storyline has not stuck with me because it has been such a long time.

I have recently got myself a Nintendo DSi XL and will start playing the games again but obviously since the last time I have played there have been a lot of new Pokemon games, story developments, locations, new Pokemon which is a little overwhelming.

My questions...
1. No they don't continue between games. Well they, sort of, do between Black/White and Black2/White2. But they're basically separate stories.

2. As far as story elements go the only games to have chronology are Red/Blue - Gold/Silver and Black/White - Black2/White2.

The order of releases, though, is:

Red/Blue, Yellow.

Gold/Silver, Crystal.

Ruby/Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen, Emerald.

Diamond/Pearl, Platinum. HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Black/White, Black/White 2

3. All the new games have new regions with differing climates and features. For instance; Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum take place in the Sinnoh Region. It's a colder climate, with a lot of snow.

In Black/White and Black/White 2 they introduced seasons. So during Autumn the leaves are changing. In Winter it's snowing. Etc.

4. So far the only games to relate to Red are FireRed/LeafGreen (Remakes of the original Pokemon games for the GBA). Gold/Silver (And their remakes HeartGold/SoulSilver) allow you to travel back to the Kanto region. The only other way the games relate are that you can still find some of the original 151 in all the games, except the original Black and White.

5. The only game the show influenced was Pokemon Yellow. All the others influence the show.

The basic premise has stayed the same -

Collect Pokemon (Though, you don't have to capture them all anymore, you just have to battle against them for your Pokedex to register them.)

Follow the story lines surrounding the legendary Pokemon and the evil "teams" (Team Rocket, Team Magma/Aqua, Team Galactic, and Team Plasma).

Get 8 badges

Victory Road

Beat Elite 4

Defeat Champion

Any post game content

If I didn't explain things well enough, or if you have more questions, ask me. I hope you enjoy Platinum!

Last edited by BraveNewWorld; April 15th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
  #3    
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM
ORegan's Avatar
ORegan
I'm dating your mom
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPUNK1 View Post

1. Do story lines continue from game to game?

2. What is the chronological orderings of the games?

3. Were are the new games set and how do they relate to each other and the first Pokemon Red?

4. Do the games relate to the TV Series?

5. I find this difficult to explain but I will try. The whole plot/scenarios and locations of Pokemon Red made sense to me but the new games confuse me because I don't understand were these new locations are, who new characters are and were these new Pokemon came from.

Collecting 150 Pokemon, Getting all 8 badges and becoming the Pokemon League Champion was the ultimate aim. So how has it developed from this?
1. The storylines don't really follow each other very closely. The better way to explain it is that each set of games focuses on a different character in the same world. Although, Gold(and Silver) take place a few years after Red(and blue.) The Black/White games take place before the Black2/White2 games. Some characters(like gym leaders and Prof Oak) make appearances in other games.

2. Timeline wise I'm not entirely sure, but the release order is how BraveNewWorld listed.

3. Each set of games(excluding the remakes) are set in a new region and the storylines have little to do with each other. The similarites to Red/Blue is that you still go around to collect badges, Pokemon, and fight the elite four while also taking out a Team. The newer games have more emphasis on the Teams doing something evil that include exploiting a Legendary Pokemon.

4. Not really, no. The anime is more influenced by the games if anything.

5. I feel your pain. I stopped playing Pokemon up until last year, so I completely missed Gens III and IV. If you can get your hands on a DS Lite, I suggest picking up a copy of FireRed. it's a remake of Red, follows that storyline with adding a little bit more at the end, but also has the updated graphics for the Advance games.

Getting FireRed should also get you accustomed to the new features in the battling system such as Pokemon Abilities and Moods in an environment you're familiar with. Black and White would be my suggestion to play afterwards because you only encounter Gen V Pokemon, and Gens I-IV are absent for most of the game so you can get yourself use to this new set, and slowly work your way from there.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  #4    
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:58 AM
CMPUNK1
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Thanks to you both it has really helped.
Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I imagine the following wouldn't require too long of answers. Im waiting for Platinum to arrive in the post and filling in these blanks is getting me ready for the game as well as the next games in the series.

1. So basically Pokemon happens in a country and each game is set in a region within that country?

2. Is it posible to catch the original 150 Pokemon in each game?

3. I have actually played Fire Red shall be playing Platinum what would the logical game choice be to play afterwards. Im not running before I can walk but it would be nice to see the direction I will be going in.

4. Were have all these new Pokemon come from? I understand that they have been created to make sure the series hasn't become stale but there is so many Pokemon now its crazy although exciting especially to a returner like me who doesn't know what I'm going to find. Is it like. Could it be explained like different continents around our world have different species of animals?

5. Is there a game in which all Pokemon could potentially be caught?

6. Are the worlds on the games a lot bigger than previous games like red e.g more locations/cities etc

7. I always felt that once I had defeated the elite four the game just kind of fizzled out and became not so interested. How do you guys decide when to end your game and move on to the next game in the series?

8. Is there a game that has multiple regions in it or contains all regions? if not why(cartridge size) and what makes that gyms badges more important than any other regions surely it would make sense to obtain all badges from all regions?

9. This is obviously way in the future for me but with the release of X and Y coming out soon what comes beyond that? by this I mean console wise is it safe to say that the focus for that game and for any game beyond that is going to be 3DS.

10. Finally. What region does each game take place in? and is there a map which features all Regions so I can get a general idea of the setup.




Thanks again
  #5    
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:24 PM
True Epicness's Avatar
True Epicness
Magnificent Turnip
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alone, in my cold, dark room...
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPUNK1 View Post
1. So basically Pokemon happens in a country and each game is set in a region within that country?

2. Is it posible to catch the original 150 Pokemon in each game?

3. I have actually played Fire Red shall be playing Platinum what would the logical game choice be to play afterwards. Im not running before I can walk but it would be nice to see the direction I will be going in.

4. Were have all these new Pokemon come from? I understand that they have been created to make sure the series hasn't become stale but there is so many Pokemon now its crazy although exciting especially to a returner like me who doesn't know what I'm going to find. Is it like. Could it be explained like different continents around our world have different species of animals?

5. Is there a game in which all Pokemon could potentially be caught?

6. Are the worlds on the games a lot bigger than previous games like red e.g more locations/cities etc

7. I always felt that once I had defeated the elite four the game just kind of fizzled out and became not so interested. How do you guys decide when to end your game and move on to the next game in the series?

8. Is there a game that has multiple regions in it or contains all regions? if not why(cartridge size) and what makes that gyms badges more important than any other regions surely it would make sense to obtain all badges from all regions?

9. This is obviously way in the future for me but with the release of X and Y coming out soon what comes beyond that? by this I mean console wise is it safe to say that the focus for that game and for any game beyond that is going to be 3DS.

10. Finally. What region does each game take place in? and is there a map which features all Regions so I can get a general idea of the setup.
1. Eeeh, kind of. I'm not sure if the backstory is really explained that far - on the surface, at least. It does appear that way, though.

2. Not all, I don't think, especially ones like Mew, who in general is event exclusive. Through trading, though, I suppose it is theoretically possible to get all in most games.

3. If you've already played Fire Red, Emerald might be a good game to take up.

4. I'm not sure it's ever been fully explained, I think there were some excuses about them always being around, but were just rarely seen in other regions and weren't documented, stuff like that. It could be explained with climates I guess, to some degree.

5. There might be, but I'm not sure. There may well be a way through trading, and... uh. Catching Them All was never my strong point :p

6. Hmm, I'd say they're probably about the same size. From Red, though, there's definitely a larger variety of types of locations, regarding weather and such.

7. Yup, pretty much the same. Elite 4, Legendary Pokémon, any after-game story, then I'm pretty much done.

8. Yeah, I think cartridge size is pretty much it. HG/SS (the remakes of Gold and Silver), like the originals, have both Johto and Kanto in them, but I'm not sure other than that. I think the main region for only collecting the badges from the one particular region is because of: Firstly, the game's limitations, and secondly, the fact that the player's character lives in that particular region.

9. Ooh, now for that, that's down to the developers, really. I don't suspect they'd really deviate from handhelds. There are also hacked games and such that are getting pretty extensive nowadays, and those are for pretty much anything you can get an emulator to run on.

10. There are maps for the individual regions, I'm not sure about all of them put together. As for the games:
R/B/Y: Kanto
G/S/C: Johto (Kanto)
FR/LG: Kanto
R/S/E: Hoenn
D/P/Pt: Sinnoh
HG/SS: Johto (Kanto)
B/W: Unova
B2/W2: Unova

The region for X and Y is unannounced, so far.
Turnips shall rise.

  #6    
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:34 PM
CMPUNK1
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Thanks so much you between you all you have pretty much cleared everything up.
I understand there a quite a lot of loop holes and plot holes between the games and one would have to make some assumptions.

Probably my last two questions (that I can think of now)

1. Games like Pokemon Red are pretty basic in comparison to the Pokemon games of today. What are the major difference because I assume there is so much more to todays games then wandering round and battling by choosing one move. By this I mean I assume there are far more things you can do in terms of Battling/Pokemon Care/Traveling/Raising/Stats/Items etc.

2. True Epicness - What is that in your sig and what does it relate to and why so many badges? haha primitive knowledge.
  #7    
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
BraveNewWorld's Avatar
BraveNewWorld
The Breaker
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPUNK1 View Post
1. So basically Pokemon happens in a country and each game is set in a region within that country?

2. Is it posible to catch the original 150 Pokemon in each game?

3. I have actually played Fire Red shall be playing Platinum what would the logical game choice be to play afterwards. Im not running before I can walk but it would be nice to see the direction I will be going in.

4. Were have all these new Pokemon come from? I understand that they have been created to make sure the series hasn't become stale but there is so many Pokemon now its crazy although exciting especially to a returner like me who doesn't know what I'm going to find. Is it like. Could it be explained like different continents around our world have different species of animals?

5. Is there a game in which all Pokemon could potentially be caught?

6. Are the worlds on the games a lot bigger than previous games like red e.g more locations/cities etc

7. I always felt that once I had defeated the elite four the game just kind of fizzled out and became not so interested. How do you guys decide when to end your game and move on to the next game in the series?

8. Is there a game that has multiple regions in it or contains all regions? if not why(cartridge size) and what makes that gyms badges more important than any other regions surely it would make sense to obtain all badges from all regions?

9. This is obviously way in the future for me but with the release of X and Y coming out soon what comes beyond that? by this I mean console wise is it safe to say that the focus for that game and for any game beyond that is going to be 3DS.

10. Finally. What region does each game take place in? and is there a map which features all Regions so I can get a general idea of the setup.




Thanks again
1. Pretty much. Most of the regions are based off of real areas of Japan. Which means they're all connected. The region from Black and White, Unova, is stated to be far away from the others regions though. Part of the Unova region is based on New York.

2. It isn't possible to catch every Pokemon in any specific game, no. However, you can acquire every Pokemon by trading. Which is something you can do online now, if you have WiFi.

4. Basically, yes. The Pokemon are said to be native to specific regions. Just like in real life certain animals are specific to regions.

5. You can own every single Pokemon in existence in a single game. You have to trade to get all the Pokemon, though.

6. Yes. The worlds are bigger and more expansive than in Red/Blue.

7. That's a feeling a lot of people have, and something Gamefreak has been working on. They've been implementing "post game content" which you can do after you defeat the Elite 4 and Champion. You can really move on to the next game whenever you want too. I'd say to at least beat the Champion, though.

8. Sadly the Pokemon games, other than Gold/Silver/Crystal and HeartGold/SoulSilver, only have one region to explore with 8 badges.

9. The focus will mainly be on the 3DS for the foreseeable future.

10. (Map inside spoiler)

Left - Hoenn Region (Gen 3 games)
Center Left - Johto Region (Gen 2 games)
Center Right - Kanto Region (Gen 1 games)
Right - Sinnoh Region (Gen 4 games)

Spoiler:



Unova Region (Gen 5 games)
Spoiler:
Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 04:40 PM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.