The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Netto Azure
<<38th Generation Leaf Knight>>

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
Associated Press confirms that 2 more devices have been found near the Boston Marathon and are being dismantled. http://apne.ws/16YHZEP

“Sun, are you really all right? Does it hurt? Do you need help? Are you sure?”

Old April 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Okay, nevermind. What was first thought to be a mechanical fire at JFK Library is now being referred to an explosion
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Tcoppy
W
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
..I went to the JFK Library with my grandmother and father, one of the best days of my life. I know some people that go to these Marathons, I don't know if they are injured or not, but it's still pretty scary. I really hope that everybody else is going to be okay and I hope that the families that may have lost their loved ones be okay.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Gyardosamped
entering snake habitat
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to Gyardosamped
CNN is reporting that the number of people injured has risen from 28 to 49, with the Boston Globe reporting over 100 injured, and that number will probably continue to rise, unfortunately.

Prayers are with everyone in Boston and all those affected in this crisis.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:20 PM
QuilavaKing
(>^.(>0.0)>
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to QuilavaKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Damn it Biden, it's still too early for that! But it might just turn out to be a bombing. Maybe homegrown terrorism? Another misunderstood teenager?
Yeah, that's all it would take. One person could definitely do something like this, it doesn't have to be some big evil organization.
#156 :: Quilava

The Volcano Pokemon

Old April 15th, 2013, 01:21 PM
AWsquared
I know what things are.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
I seriously hope there isn't anymore bombings or explosions that happen today or even anytime soon. This is just horrific. Any PC users near or in Boston just please stay inside your home and be safe.

"I have no idea what I'm doing. but I know I'm doing it really, really well."- Andy Dwyer
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I don't think I can ask the question, "What is wrong with our world?" anymore. This is truly a tragedy. What really hits me is that this marathon was specially dedicated to the kids from Newtown, so for this to happen now, I'm absolutely horrified. This feels all to familiar to me from when 9/11 occurred. Albeit not on as large of a scale, but still as effective and tragic on top of the third explosion at the JFK library.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Gyardosamped
entering snake habitat
Community Supporter

New video of the bombs detonating at the race:

This is all just so scary.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Someone who sets up a bomb probably want to make a statement. Maybe nobody's taking responsibility yet because they want the death count to go up? I like the motivation in the army soldiers. The explosion doesn't seem that big though - maybe a couple ounces of explosive?
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Gyardosamped
entering snake habitat
Community Supporter

President Barack Obama will address the nation at 6:10 PM EST, in about 20 minutes from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Someone who sets up a bomb probably want to make a statement. Maybe nobody's taking responsibility yet because they want the death count to go up? I like the motivation in the army soldiers. The explosion doesn't seem that big though - maybe a couple ounces of explosive?
Although nobody knows who did committed this yet, it seems like this was an act of domestic terrorism given the types of bombs used. Apparently they were homemade. Regardless, this seems like it was very well-coordinated.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Aurora
Q U I Z

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
It's just so disgusting to read of terrorist attacks like this... not only at a marathon with tens of thousands of people, but at a memorial service for those poor children at Sandy Hill. It's even more disgusting to see that an act of (presumably) domestic terrorism has, this time, succeeded to a degree. My full condolences to anyone who was killed or seriously injured in this attack; this is simply horrific...

server modblogmy lovely pair <3twitterfighting for social justice • skype me: auroracr9826
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Whoever is responsible for this certainly knew what they were doing. It definitely seems more like a domestic act of terrorism than anything else though. Whether it was by the hand of one man or many.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:44 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
I was kinda hoping this was a suicide bomb and that the two reported dead were those responsible, but no... Reports that an eight-year-old child was one of the fatalities

Messed up.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Sassy
Apparently a Saudi national has been identified as a suspect. Great, I can feel the after effects of racism & stereotyping as repercussions from this coming from a mile away.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

This attack might not have been too difficult. The person might've hidden two small packages that very day. The Boston police says that the Saudi national suspect is not true.
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Esper

The news is saying there are any number or types of people who could have done this since Al Qaeda recently put out a handbook on how lone individuals can do things like this, but it also could easily have been one of those anti-government types based on today's date, which seems to mean something to them. (I do hope this isn't some crazy local type.)

The foreign student they were looking for seems to be not a suspect, just someone who was bloodied and running away, like lots of people.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:33 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
CBS reports 2 dead and at least 98 injured. I feel bad when things like this happen while I'm at work waiting for my shift to end. I'm not ruling out terrorism, it's actually my first guess, but I'm gonna be waiting for more details before jumping the gun.

Still, this is tragic. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come this year. Last year's spree shootings were bad enough.

EDIT:
Jesus, an eight-year old girl was one of the confirmed dead? F@$%

EDIT2:
Oh, God, those photos I looked up.

EDITNUMEROTRES:
CNN now reports 3 killed, 130 injured.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15...hon/?hpt=hp_t1

Last edited by CarcharOdin; April 15th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Not to be insensitive, but I don't know why they single out the deaths of children. Three people died; these people were equal in value and had families. Singling out the eight-year-old simply puts more emphasis on his importance and that family's loss, which I don't think is fair to the other two who died and their families. They're suffering just as much. I find it undermines the value of adult lives.

This is horrible, though. I saw the images throughout this topic. My tummy lurched. I don't know what the point in doing something like this is! and I don't know what "national importance" today may have, as Scarf mentioned... I'm from Canada, so I'm not up-to-date with important days in America, other than, say, July 4th and 9/11.

My heart goes out to all those families who have lost someone today, and to all those individuals and their families who have injured kin. This was supposed to be a positive event. It's really sick.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
Oh, God, those photos I looked up.
They make people look like meat, don't they. I think it's something people should get used to though, because everybody has a human body and violence occurs every day so it's good to know what you're up against.

Quote:
Three people died; these people were equal in value and had families. Singling out the eight-year-old simply puts more emphasis on his importance and that family's loss, which I don't think is fair to the other two who died and their families.
If you look at the world in relative terms, it's going to seem unfair. But I don't feel that emphasizing the dead kid diminishes the other families' losses in anyway - it's to stress how impartial and damning violence can be. Are they usually supposed to know who the perpetrators were by now? It's been almost 8 hours.
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Crux
Evermore

Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
@Yusshin:
It's in the human psyche to care about and want to protect children, thus, by adding in large bold letter that an eight-year-old was one of the victims it makes the situation seem even more tragic then it is.

As for why whoever did this did it, there has been no verified reason nor main suspect as of yet.

{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Even if there's a dead kid, at least there's only three deaths. It could have been worse and whoever's responsible probably hoped for higher. If these acts of terrors were meant to be "peaceful" or bloodless they could've blown out some buildings instead of planting the bombs besides masses of people.
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rococo View Post
@Yusshin:
It's in the human psyche to care about and want to protect children, thus, by adding in large bold letter that an eight-year-old was one of the victims it makes the situation seem even more tragic then it is.
But should not all deaths be equally tragic? We all care about each other and want to protect one another. I understand what you're saying about making it more tragic because it's a kid, but overall, three people dying is tragic in itself, no matter what race, age, etc. I just think it's kinda wrong. Even if they're not meaning to make it seem more important, that's the effect is has when they write things like "Three victims - one an eight-year-old boy - have died." Singling it out like that is a literary style meant to put emphasis and important on one specific idea and causes all other relative ideas to be overshadowed; in this case, it's the death of the boy that is overshadowing the two dead adults.

I dunno. I just don't think it's right to do that. I can see the other two victims' families feeling slightly insulted and undermined with writing like that. I know I'd feel that way anyway.

But not to drive this off-topic or even to lose sight of what the topic is about. I hope they find the people or person who did this and deals with them appropriately i.e. life imprisonment. There was true intent here to kill people en masse. It's horrible, and we don't need people like that running around free in society, or granted parole in 15 years.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:39 PM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
Really sorry to hear about this, even as far as here people are going crazy about this. I hope nobody from PC has been injured or lost anybody to the bombing.

I don't think anybody should point fingers at terrorist organisations outside of the country for this, I suspect it is probably more of a domestic terrorist thing trying to draw government attention to some perceived problem in the most misguided way possible.
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:44 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
It's basically sensationalising the news - making it appear as tragic or significant, etc as possible. It often happens in journalism, and isn't necessarily right because as said, any death in these cases is just needless. But it happens every time it can.

I do wonder who did it, given the nature of the event and day itself.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Crux
Evermore

Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
@Yusshin:
I never said I agreed with it, I was merely explaining the reasoning behind it.

My gut thought was that this is domestic, but I won't say for sure, nor linger on that thought much.
If you create a theory before you gather the facts, you'll wind up bending the facts to fit your theory. When truly it should be the other way 'round.

{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here