• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

MAJOR Explosion at Boston Marathon

Years
The news is saying there are any number or types of people who could have done this since Al Qaeda recently put out a handbook on how lone individuals can do things like this, but it also could easily have been one of those anti-government types based on today's date, which seems to mean something to them. (I do hope this isn't some crazy local type.)

The foreign student they were looking for seems to be not a suspect, just someone who was bloodied and running away, like lots of people.

Sir Codin

CBS reports 2 dead and at least 98 injured. I feel bad when things like this happen while I'm at work waiting for my shift to end. I'm not ruling out terrorism, it's actually my first guess, but I'm gonna be waiting for more details before jumping the gun.

Still, this is tragic. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come this year. Last year's spree shootings were bad enough.

EDIT:
Jesus, an eight-year old girl was one of the confirmed dead? F@$%

EDIT2:
Oh, God, those photos I looked up.

EDITNUMEROTRES:
CNN now reports 3 killed, 130 injured.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/15/explosions-near-finish-of-boston-marathon/?hpt=hp_t1

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Not to be insensitive, but I don't know why they single out the deaths of children. Three people died; these people were equal in value and had families. Singling out the eight-year-old simply puts more emphasis on his importance and that family's loss, which I don't think is fair to the other two who died and their families. They're suffering just as much. I find it undermines the value of adult lives.

This is horrible, though. I saw the images throughout this topic. My tummy lurched. I don't know what the point in doing something like this is! and I don't know what "national importance" today may have, as Scarf mentioned... I'm from Canada, so I'm not up-to-date with important days in America, other than, say, July 4th and 9/11.

My heart goes out to all those families who have lost someone today, and to all those individuals and their families who have injured kin. This was supposed to be a positive event. It's really sick.

Years
Oh, God, those photos I looked up.

They make people look like meat, don't they. I think it's something people should get used to though, because everybody has a human body and violence occurs every day so it's good to know what you're up against.

Three people died; these people were equal in value and had families. Singling out the eight-year-old simply puts more emphasis on his importance and that family's loss, which I don't think is fair to the other two who died and their families.

If you look at the world in relative terms, it's going to seem unfair. But I don't feel that emphasizing the dead kid diminishes the other families' losses in anyway - it's to stress how impartial and damning violence can be. Are they usually supposed to know who the perpetrators were by now? It's been almost 8 hours.

Crux

Evermore
Years
@Yusshin:
It's in the human psyche to care about and want to protect children, thus, by adding in large bold letter that an eight-year-old was one of the victims it makes the situation seem even more tragic then it is.

As for why whoever did this did it, there has been no verified reason nor main suspect as of yet.

Years
Even if there's a dead kid, at least there's only three deaths. It could have been worse and whoever's responsible probably hoped for higher. If these acts of terrors were meant to be "peaceful" or bloodless they could've blown out some buildings instead of planting the bombs besides masses of people.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
@Yusshin:
It's in the human psyche to care about and want to protect children, thus, by adding in large bold letter that an eight-year-old was one of the victims it makes the situation seem even more tragic then it is.

But should not all deaths be equally tragic? We all care about each other and want to protect one another. I understand what you're saying about making it more tragic because it's a kid, but overall, three people dying is tragic in itself, no matter what race, age, etc. I just think it's kinda wrong. Even if they're not meaning to make it seem more important, that's the effect is has when they write things like "Three victims - one an eight-year-old boy - have died." Singling it out like that is a literary style meant to put emphasis and important on one specific idea and causes all other relative ideas to be overshadowed; in this case, it's the death of the boy that is overshadowing the two dead adults.

I dunno. I just don't think it's right to do that. I can see the other two victims' families feeling slightly insulted and undermined with writing like that. I know I'd feel that way anyway.

But not to drive this off-topic or even to lose sight of what the topic is about. I hope they find the people or person who did this and deals with them appropriately i.e. life imprisonment. There was true intent here to kill people en masse. It's horrible, and we don't need people like that running around free in society, or granted parole in 15 years.

Years
Really sorry to hear about this, even as far as here people are going crazy about this. I hope nobody from PC has been injured or lost anybody to the bombing.

I don't think anybody should point fingers at terrorist organisations outside of the country for this, I suspect it is probably more of a domestic terrorist thing trying to draw government attention to some perceived problem in the most misguided way possible.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It's basically sensationalising the news - making it appear as tragic or significant, etc as possible. It often happens in journalism, and isn't necessarily right because as said, any death in these cases is just needless. But it happens every time it can.

I do wonder who did it, given the nature of the event and day itself.

Crux

Evermore
Years
@Yusshin:
I never said I agreed with it, I was merely explaining the reasoning behind it.

My gut thought was that this is domestic, but I won't say for sure, nor linger on that thought much.
If you create a theory before you gather the facts, you'll wind up bending the facts to fit your theory. When truly it should be the other way 'round.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
My condolences go out to the families of the dead and the injured. Hopefully there's no more bombs hidden (I read a speculation that there may be).

Thus far the suspects I've heard named are Domestic (Right wing-Radicals as one news person suggested), or Islamic terrorists. Who knows, maybe it could've been some crazy guy just trying to take as many lives for the heck of it... truely this world can be a dark place.

TaylorJ52

Safe Driver
Years
@Yusshin:

As for why whoever did this did it, there has been no verified reason nor main suspect as of yet.

Agreed. Out of all the things that contribute to the way society is in the U.S. I believe that news corporation glorifying horrific acts. Honestly though...
There's no end to it.
It is a vicious cycle which cannot be stopped thanks to the first amendment (Not that I want to burn the bill of rights). Things like this will always occur. It's just the way human nature and civilization proceeded. Condolences to the injured, the dead, and the future victims of inevitable future attacks.
Praying for nuclear winter.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Not to be insensitive, but I don't know why they single out the deaths of children. Three people died; these people were equal in value and had families. Singling out the eight-year-old simply puts more emphasis on his importance and that family's loss, which I don't think is fair to the other two who died and their families. They're suffering just as much. I find it undermines the value of adult lives.
On one hand I think they reported the child first or only because that's the only information they had at the time.

On the other hand, it could also be to generate a reaction from their audience

Years
It's a good reaction. Good people die every day, but it's not so big of a deal than when kids are involved. Even though an act of terrorism is already a big deal in itself so stressing dead kids doesn't really have much utility.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I've been in touch with Anastasia.R as she lives in Boston, and she was there when it happened... Granted several blocks away, but she still heard everything and saw the smoke. She's safe, now though.

I also agree that them reporting the 8-year-old but not the others is just the media playing with ratings... Not exactly tasteful and I don't agree with it, but it's how they make money. People react more to children's death than adults'.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
On one hand I think they reported the child first or only because that's the only information they had at the time.

On the other hand, it could also be to generate a reaction from their audience

Yeah, the first part would make sense if they didn't continue to emphasize the child's death in subsequent news stories / reviews, when two more people were determined to have died. I do believe it's just glorification and them playing with ratings. It's quite tasteless imo.

@Rococo,

Yeah, that's fine. I didn't intend to mean that you agreed; I was merely responding to your explanation. I didn't mean to target you, if that's how you felt.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My heart goes out to Boston. There are a few PC members I know up in that area, so I was relieved to see that they updated that they were fine on Facebook. Thank God. But even still, three lives lost is too many, and I hope all the injured folks make it through as well.

And about the children thing, it's sad that anyone had to die from this, but when children are singled out in these events, you have to understand that that's another child that won't get to grow up and live to see their first kiss, their prom, their graduation, their wedding, etc as well as parents that won't see their child go through that either. And also, children can't do as much to defend themselves like an adult can. So when there's just malicious slaughter of a child, it's just...taking someone that can't do anything to help themselves, really. But even some adults can't defend themselves either, so there's still that. Though it doesn't diminish the other two people that died, but there's just something so particularly despicable about robbing someone of these major, and even little things, in life. But saying that, it also goes for the two other people that died. Not sure of their ages, but I'm sure there are many things they and their families will also miss out on because of this tragedy, and that's not okay.

tl;dr Every life is important, regardless of age, race, sex, etc.

Edit: I just saw a picture of the 8 year old girl that died and just started crying. It's worse when you actually see their face...sigh.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not saying this is real or not, and I personally hate this kind of crap. When I saw it, I just yelled explicits at Tumblr, but anyway...

Spoiler:

Page for the bombing made on Saturday apparently. I hope it's photoshopped and the comment about Sandy Hook really bothers me as well. Just...honestly, I should quit looking at this stuff. I'm really sensitive on these subjects, but I saw it and thought I'd post it here for those of you that are more analytical than I am. Maybe you can pick this apart.

Back