• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

RSE Remake Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Cerberus87 said:
My main gripe with remakes is the Pokémon rosters of the NPCs. All games below 4th gen had pretty bad rosters for a few characters and IMO the Hoenn Elite Four was the absolute worst in the series next to RBY's E4.

Ah, okay. I personally liked the roster for the Elite Four but I do see what you mean. Well, didn't they make it where you could re-fight gym leaders/elite four and their roster would be updated (or, in black2/white2, have that huge tournament)? Gamefreak usually moves such features overs since they're quite popular

Cerberus87 said:
Furthermore, I don't think GF feels RSE is outdated enough. They're still using sound effects introduced in RS. The minisprites in the Pokémon summary screen are all from RS (at least, the ones from the 386 first Pokémon). The core mechanics of the game are from RS. Unless there's something very significant coming around with XY, we won't see further remakes, be it of RSE, of DPPt or any other game.

Seeing as I doubt Gamefreak is just going to surprise us all and give us a remake over the next 7 months, I'm pretty sure that with just the graphics for X/Y, people will be clamoring for a remake in them (especially if the look sticks). We don't really need some revolutionary new way in game play to make a RSE remake (at least that's my personal opinion).

Guy

just a guy
Years
A change in the Elite Four's roster is something I could get behind. For the most part, the Elite Four in Hoenn reused a lot of the same Pokémon. With the extra benefit of expanding the PokéDex this time around, this is something I would like to see fixed should RSE remakes happen ─ which I pray that they do happen.

From the looks of X/Y's graphics so far, I would very much like to see Hoenn remade for the 3DS. It really was a beautiful region and could benefit from the 3D visual.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
A change in the Elite Four's roster is something I could get behind. For the most part, the Elite Four in Hoenn reused a lot of the same Pokémon. With the extra benefit of expanding the PokéDex this time around, this is something I would like to see fixed should RSE remakes happen ─ which I pray that they do happen.

From the looks of X/Y's graphics so far, I would very much like to see Hoenn remade for the 3DS. It really was a beautiful region and could benefit from the 3D visual.

I see them pulling another HG/SS. What wasn't there isn't available unless related to a direct line or unavailable due to evolutionary restrictions, like Dusclops can't evolve because Reaper Cloth isn't available until post game and Nosepass can't evolve because there is no Magnet area. Eevee may be restricted into not being able to evolve into Glaceon/Leafeon because those kinda areas weren't available in those games much like Eevee couldn't evolve into Espeon/Umbreon because time wasn't incorporated into FR/LG.

So a lot of lines would get a shafted evolutionary pool. Though ones that evolve by attack would still be able to.

So I can see HG/SS E4 treatment. They have the same mirrored teams again and improve them in the post game for rematches.

Years
I see them pulling another HG/SS. What wasn't there isn't available unless related to a direct line or unavailable due to evolutionary restrictions, like Dusclops can't evolve because Reaper Cloth isn't available until post game and Nosepass can't evolve because there is no Magnet area. Eevee may be restricted into not being able to evolve into Glaceon/Leafeon because those kinda areas weren't available in those games much like Eevee couldn't evolve into Espeon/Umbreon because time wasn't incorporated into FR/LG.

So a lot of lines would get a shafted evolutionary pool. Though ones that evolve by attack would still be able to.

So I can see HG/SS E4 treatment. They have the same mirrored teams again and improve them in the post game for rematches.

While I agree that it will probably be like the original but I do think they will add in some extra evolutions by using places already there , like probopass by using new mauvilles generator kind of like how they used chargestone cave or even adding in extra evolutions for the E4, like froslass, Dusknoir, or glaceon (shoal cave, anyone?). I would love for them to change it up a bit :D

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
While I agree that it will probably be like the original but I do think they will add in some extra evolutions by using places already there , like probopass by using new mauvilles generator kind of like how they used chargestone cave or even adding in extra evolutions for the E4, like froslass, Dusknoir, or glaceon (shoal cave, anyone?). I would love for them to change it up a bit :D

They didn't add those area restricted ones into remakes before because they aren't part of the original games. While New Mauvile would be a good idea, its not magnetic and Nosepass and Magneton couldn't evolve there in R/S/E. They'd keep it like that. Same with Eevee in Shoal Cave, which isn't cold like the areas that the Icy Rock is usually found.

If we get Remakes they'd be updated Rehashes of the regions following the same basic story with only a few minor tweeks to it. We'd probably get something added in to go with the contests/battle frontier. If not then we'd just have the retro Frontier and Contest back with no side extra.

They'd add in Legends from past generations and maybe an inclusion to current legends like Shinjoh Ruins and Embeded Tower in HG/SS. Other than that we'd have to basically trade to get the locational evolutions including any new ones we get in Gen 6.

Guy

just a guy
Years

Unfortunately, I can see that happening. This is why I'm sort of hoping Gen VI introduces more pre-evolutions / evolutions for Gen III similar to how Gen IV had more pre-evolutions / evolutions for Gen II before the ultimate release of HG/SS. So if a RSE remake were to happen, then they can hopefully incorporate more of those new evolutions into the game similar to how it was done in HG/SS. This could allow for a bit more diversity. However, I'm hoping they would go the extra mile and do what they did with B2/W2 and simply expand the Regional Dex.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2022
Unfortunately, I can see that happening. This is why I'm sort of hoping Gen VI introduces more pre-evolutions / evolutions for Gen III similar to how Gen IV had more pre-evolutions / evolutions for Gen II before the ultimate release of HG/SS. So if a RSE remake were to happen, then they can hopefully incorporate more of those new evolutions into the game similar to how it was done in HG/SS. This could allow for a bit more diversity. However, I'm hoping they would go the extra mile and do what they did with B2/W2 and simply expand the Regional Dex.

I hope not in the scale of the fourth generation, which didn't feel like its own generation whatsoever. Too many evolutions and pre-evos to be frank,especially with Pokémon of that region.

I hope if they do have evolutions that they'll only appear in the remakes, but be available in data on X and Y. An expansive dex would be neat....

Years
They didn't add those area restricted ones into remakes before because they aren't part of the original games. While New Mauvile would be a good idea, its not magnetic and Nosepass and Magneton couldn't evolve there in R/S/E. They'd keep it like that. Same with Eevee in Shoal Cave, which isn't cold like the areas that the Icy Rock is usually found.

True that they didn't evolve in the places beforehand but I think those would be the best place to add extra rooms/maps to to make them evolve, like how they add two whole routes, a safari zone and a cave right onto Cianwood.

XanderO said:
If we get Remakes they'd be updated Rehashes of the regions following the same basic story with only a few minor tweeks to it. We'd probably get something added in to go with the contests/battle frontier. If not then we'd just have the retro Frontier and Contest back with no side extra.

Well, yeah. I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here about how the same old plan seems to work for each game (if it didn't then I doubt people would be buying the games at all). While it does have the same story, I'm positive they would add extra content to make the game more appealing (though, retro style Contest would be awesome).

XanderO said:
They'd add in Legends from past generations and maybe an inclusion to current legends like Shinjoh Ruins and Embeded Tower in HG/SS. Other than that we'd have to basically trade to get the locational evolutions including any new ones we get in Gen 6.

I think their best bet would be to add the event places (Navel Rock and Birth Island) to the game and then add some extra places to get other pokemon, like Dialga, Meloetta, etc.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years

Only thing we'd lose for the Gen 1 re-remakes is the Sevii Islands story which could be replaced with a different story altogether.

But I loved the Sevii Islands!!! But if they want to add something else, too, then that's fine with me as long as they keep the old islands around in the game…

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Maybe GF will actually add evolution locations, but make them post game this time as to not repeat the annoyance of trading for location evolution as in generation 4, and the time evolutions of generation 3. I actually don't see why they left time off in FrLg...I can see locations but time seems like it'll be a simple thing to put.

Hopefully the E4 and the gyms will be updated HgSs style if XY has move evolutions of Hoenn dex Pokémon.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
…The only major addition was the physical/special split in DPPt, but would that by itself warrant an RSE remake? …

Actually, the so-called 'physical/special split' that happened in Generation IV was really only a rehash of the existing physical/special split from types to individual attacks; if I remember correctly, a lot of moves stayed under the same category for the most part.

True that they didn't evolve in the places beforehand but I think those would be the best place to add extra rooms/maps to to make them evolve, like how they add two whole routes, a afari [Z]one and a cave right onto Cianwood.

You're right; according to Bulbapedia's listing of cities and towns by name, Hoenn has 16 cities and towns, which is four fewer than Unova's 20 (I counted the number of listings belonging to each region after sorting the table by the 'Region' column, though I wish it would sort in the order that each of these regions were introduced instead of alphabetically.) That leaves a little room for GameFreak to add a few more areas to Hoenn even if they aren't settled areas. I'm okay with the Hoenn region getting the same treatment that Johto did in HG/SS.

Well, yeah. I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here about how the same old plan seems to work for each game (if it didn't then I doubt people would be buying the games at all). While it does have the same story, I'm positive they would add extra content to make the game more appealing (though, retro style Contest would be awesome).

The problem with having both the old contests and Emerald's Battle Frontier is that GameFreak would have to figure out how to point Contest-goers to that post-game area without reintroducing Battle Tents (was that what they were called?) Otherwise, I'd like this to happen.

I think their best bet would be to add the event places (Navel Rock and Birth Island) to the game and then add some extra places to get other pokemon, like Dialga, Meloetta, etc.

I'd like to see Navel Rock and Birth Island return to the main games, but what would you do there? Seriously, the legendaries that you caught there before have been made available through HG/SS.

Last edited:

Navy Blue

Artist
Years
Love your sig, RandomDSdevel.
But yeah, regardless what they add, I just want to see a new, awesome, and refined R/S/E remake.
I can't wait. :D

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
That leaves a little room for GameFreak to add a few more areas to Hoenn even if they aren't settled areas. I'm okay with the Hoenn region getting the same treatment that Johto did in HG/SS.

Don't forget, the Hoenn map also has a bunch of unused/inaccessible islands! Not that it really means too much right now but it's definitely possible to expand to them if it means the mainland not getting too cluttered. :)

The problem with having both the old contests and Emerald's Battle Frontier is that GameFreak would have to figure out how to point Contest-goers to that post-game area without reintroducing Battle Tents (was that what they were called?) Otherwise, I'd like this to happen.

Are you talking about an introduction to the Frontier? They could just advertise it on TV or something after you arrived back home after the league. I loved watching TV to check to see if friends' achievements, the 'special' promotions, etc. showed up after mixing records and everything.

Having the old contests split up again seems like a much better idea anyways because, like someone mentioned before, the tents lacked purpose really, imo. It was also a nice touch to have to travel to get to each level of contests instead of cramming them together if you ask me.

Speaking of the retro contests, one would hope that they allow online, like has been mentioned before. I preferred the old over Gen IV's.

I'd like to see Navel Rock and Birth Island return to the main games, but what would you do there? Seriously, the legendaries that you caught there before have been made available through HG/SS.

Why does Pokemon availability have to play an importance there, haha? We also had everything available in Gen III(in some way) before HGSS rolled around but that didn't stop them. There's always been ways to get every Pokemon really.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Love your sig, RandomDSdevel.

Thanks a lot, Navy Blue!

You're right; according to Bulbapedia's listing of cities and towns by name, Hoenn has 16 cities and towns, which is four fewer than Unova's 20 (I counted the number of listings belonging to each region after sorting the table by the 'Region' column, though I wish it would sort in the order that each of these regions were introduced instead of alphabetically.) That leaves a little room for GameFreak to add a few more areas to Hoenn even if they aren't settled areas. I'm okay with the Hoenn region getting the same treatment that Johto did in HG/SS.

Don't forget, the Hoenn map also has a bunch of unused/inaccessible islands! Not that it really means too much right now but it's definitely possible to expand to them if it means the mainland not getting too cluttered. :)

Oh, yeah; a quick glance at the map (which I haven't really examined in a while due to the following post…:

And then there are those of us who were able to borrow a sibling's copy of Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald until we found ourselves gaining access to our own Pokémon game or games, thus rendering our ability to play the former null and void. For example, my brother let me borrow Sapphire since he also had Ruby until I received FireRed (without the Wireless Adapter, unfortunately) for one of my birthdays. My sister then acquired Sapphire from this brother, preventing me from playing it again. This set circumstances happens to drive me to want RSE remakes as part of the fact that I grew up with the remade Pokémon games instead of the originals. I was able to get Diamond, though…(thoughts fast forward to what might happen to this cartridge when the Sinnoh remakes come out.)

…so I went over to Bulbapedia to fix that little problem) reveals the existence of two unnamed islands in Hoenn's central waters that are the only two islands in the Hoenn region that are not connected to routes besides the Southern Island, which hosts the Eon Ticket event which allowed players to obtain either Latios (Sapphire/Emerald) and/or Latias (Ruby/Emerald) depending on his or her version of the game, and the Island hosting the Battle Frontier. Further inspection of both the in-game and the anime maps of the Hoenn region reveals about twenty or so little islands scattered throughout the waters under the jurisdiction of Hoenn's government, if any (the Pokémon League?)

Are you talking about an introduction to the Frontier? They could just advertise it on TV or something after you arrived back home after the league. I loved watching TV to check to see if friends' achievements, the 'special' promotions, etc. showed up after mixing records and everything.

Having the old contests split up again seems like a much better idea anyways because, like someone mentioned before, the tents lacked purpose really, imo. It was also a nice touch to have to travel to get to each level of contests instead of cramming them together if you ask me.

Speaking of the retro contests, one would hope that they allow online, like has been mentioned before. I preferred the old over Gen IV's.

Yeah, me too! Also, I'm very happy that you were able to solve the potential conflict between the old contest system and Emerald's Battle Tents by relegating the job of alerting players of the Battle Frontier to television announcers. And if anyone complains about how far apart the different sub-competitions' hosting cities are, I'm going to dive-bomb them from my Wingull (LOL — could the weakling even support my weight? Maybe I should ride Pelipper instead…) while it's using Fly!

Why does Pokemon availability have to play an importance there, haha? We also had everything available in Gen III(in some way) before HGSS rolled around but that didn't stop them. There's always been ways to get every Pokemon really.

Actually, you're right about Navel Rock but wrong about Birth Island. The former allows players to obtain both Ho-oh and Lugia (oops…I thought they were each on separate islands;) both of these legendary Pokémon should be available to players through either whatever migration system GameFreak might bake into the remakes and/or an in-game event in either X and Y and/or the RSEmakes. Ho-oh and Lugia were also available through the GameCube side-story games hosted in the Orre region after certain events (purifying all Shadow Pokémon and defeating Mt. Battle in Pokémon Colosseum to get Ho-oh and purifying Shadow Lugia to get Lugia in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.) Birth Island, on the other hand, hosted a Deoxys event which will likely remain available only through Nintendo's special distribution system. The same goes for Faraway Island, which hosted a Mew event in Emerald after being added to your in-game map via use of the Old Sea Map e-Reader card. But I can concede that each of the Pokémon games has allowed most players to catch plenty of Pokémon regardless of these creatures' region of origin.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Yeah, me too! Also, I'm very happy that you were able to solve the potential conflict between the old contest system and Emerald's Battle Tents by relegating the job of alerting players of the Battle Frontier to television announcers. And if anyone complains about how far apart the different sub-competitions' hosting cities are, I'm going to dive-bomb them from my Wingull (LOL — could the weakling even support my weight? Maybe I should ride Pelipper instead…) while it's using Fly!

Yeah, I was always checking the TV for things like seeing friends appear on shows after mixing records and then there's the stuff like where they advertise special events like the one regarding the rooftop sale in Lilycove where you can buy some rare decorations for your secret base that you can only get during the event, for example.

I didn't really use the Battle Tents much because they seemed like disembodied parts of the Frontier; It's not like they even added one for each of the seven facilities(if they really wanted to be helpful because of each having different rules, etc). It also makes more sense, imo, to have the different level of contests separated(kind of like the anime and having to travel around to advance), we do have Fly.

You know what? Speaking of contests, that could be a little side expansion in the main journey. Wally ended up being more of a rival in the end than Brendan/May anyways(they didn't even have fully evolved starters in the end!), so why can't we meet up with the latter two in contests instead, or at least I'd hope they play more of a role in the main plot. We can still battle them but this would allow for Wally to be added into the mix better(he did have a little story behind him so why not let him have a bigger role like it seemed should have happened?).

Ideas like that would help breathe a little fresh air into the main playthrough while not having to really break anything.

...But I can concede that each of the Pokémon games has allowed most players to catch plenty of Pokémon regardless of these creatures' region of origin.

I could be a little biased because I buy spin offs but, aside from being time-consuming, it hasn't been that big of an issue to 'catch em' all' in the past. I guess I can see how those who didn't would've had more of an issue but now we have WiFi so there should be next to no issues from now on regarding event Pokemon. That's why I see no reason for availability to have too much of a play. :)

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
I do think it's bit too late for RSE remake. Well it's just a thought of mine we never know what Nintendo has in store for us.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I could be a little biased because I buy spin offs but, aside from being time-consuming, it hasn't been that big of an issue to 'catch em' all' in the past. I guess I can see how those who didn't would've had more of an issue but now we have WiFi so there should be next to no issues from now on regarding event Pokemon. That's why I see no reason for availability to have too much of a play. :)

I was thinking that maybe the event islands could be included to reinforce the retroactive continuity that the remakes are supposed to have with their subjects even if these same islands aren't used by the remakes to distribute their old versions' event Pokémon by default. Wonder Cards could still allow the Pokémon that were distributed on these islands to appear on them when obtained, though.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Oh, I wasn't saying they couldn't have events, etc. on them, just that Pokemon availability shouldn't be a key factor in determining whether we get a game or not.

Everyone was using that same old excuse for why we wouldn't get RS remakes when something like that doesn't even matter really. Pretty much everything from Johto was able to be gotten in Gen III yet we still got HGSS and, even if it wasn't, we had WiFi in the DS era for events and they could've filled in the dex in new games. Availability really isn't an excuse for anything now other than getting everyone to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back