The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:56 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
My condolences go out to the families of the dead and the injured. Hopefully there's no more bombs hidden (I read a speculation that there may be).

Thus far the suspects I've heard named are Domestic (Right wing-Radicals as one news person suggested), or Islamic terrorists. Who knows, maybe it could've been some crazy guy just trying to take as many lives for the heck of it... truely this world can be a dark place.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:04 PM
TaylorJ52
Safe Driver

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rococo View Post
@Yusshin:
It's in the human psyche to care about and want to protect children, thus, by adding in large bold letter that an eight-year-old was one of the victims it makes the situation seem even more tragic then it is.

As for why whoever did this did it, there has been no verified reason nor main suspect as of yet.

Agreed. Out of all the things that contribute to the way society is in the U.S. I believe that news corporation glorifying horrific acts. Honestly though...
There's no end to it.
It is a vicious cycle which cannot be stopped thanks to the first amendment (Not that I want to burn the bill of rights). Things like this will always occur. It's just the way human nature and civilization proceeded. Condolences to the injured, the dead, and the future victims of inevitable future attacks.
Praying for nuclear winter.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:05 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post
Not to be insensitive, but I don't know why they single out the deaths of children. Three people died; these people were equal in value and had families. Singling out the eight-year-old simply puts more emphasis on his importance and that family's loss, which I don't think is fair to the other two who died and their families. They're suffering just as much. I find it undermines the value of adult lives.
On one hand I think they reported the child first or only because that's the only information they had at the time.

On the other hand, it could also be to generate a reaction from their audience
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
It's a good reaction. Good people die every day, but it's not so big of a deal than when kids are involved. Even though an act of terrorism is already a big deal in itself so stressing dead kids doesn't really have much utility.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:09 PM
TaylorJ52
Safe Driver

Nature: Docile
Apologies, meant to quote bobandbill, not Rocc... Whoops. Not new to the forum game or anything.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:09 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I've been in touch with Anastasia.R as she lives in Boston, and she was there when it happened... Granted several blocks away, but she still heard everything and saw the smoke. She's safe, now though.

I also agree that them reporting the 8-year-old but not the others is just the media playing with ratings... Not exactly tasteful and I don't agree with it, but it's how they make money. People react more to children's death than adults'.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
On one hand I think they reported the child first or only because that's the only information they had at the time.

On the other hand, it could also be to generate a reaction from their audience
Yeah, the first part would make sense if they didn't continue to emphasize the child's death in subsequent news stories / reviews, when two more people were determined to have died. I do believe it's just glorification and them playing with ratings. It's quite tasteless imo.

@Rococo,

Yeah, that's fine. I didn't intend to mean that you agreed; I was merely responding to your explanation. I didn't mean to target you, if that's how you felt.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
My heart goes out to Boston. There are a few PC members I know up in that area, so I was relieved to see that they updated that they were fine on Facebook. Thank God. But even still, three lives lost is too many, and I hope all the injured folks make it through as well.

And about the children thing, it's sad that anyone had to die from this, but when children are singled out in these events, you have to understand that that's another child that won't get to grow up and live to see their first kiss, their prom, their graduation, their wedding, etc as well as parents that won't see their child go through that either. And also, children can't do as much to defend themselves like an adult can. So when there's just malicious slaughter of a child, it's just...taking someone that can't do anything to help themselves, really. But even some adults can't defend themselves either, so there's still that. Though it doesn't diminish the other two people that died, but there's just something so particularly despicable about robbing someone of these major, and even little things, in life. But saying that, it also goes for the two other people that died. Not sure of their ages, but I'm sure there are many things they and their families will also miss out on because of this tragedy, and that's not okay.

tl;dr Every life is important, regardless of age, race, sex, etc.

Edit: I just saw a picture of the 8 year old girl that died and just started crying. It's worse when you actually see their face...sigh.

Last edited by Jak; April 15th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

My condolences go out to all the families affected in this, not just because innocent people were targeted, but also because it was targeting such an innocent crowd.

I don't see why people do this kind of thing though. Why would you want to kill people just to illustrate a point? Isn't there other ways to do it?

Oh, not that I want to add fuel to the fire, but the Westboro Baptist Church had to say something about the bombings. And they had to say something idiotic about it too.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

I'm too busy to read this right now, but this is why revolutionary organisations/people advocate for these kinds of actions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_of_the_deed

Hope it adds some insight and sense to a[EDIT]n otherwise[/EDIT] senseless action?

Last edited by Kanzler; April 15th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

I'm not saying this is real or not, and I personally hate this kind of crap. When I saw it, I just yelled explicits at Tumblr, but anyway...

Spoiler:

Page for the bombing made on Saturday apparently. I hope it's photoshopped and the comment about Sandy Hook really bothers me as well. Just...honestly, I should quit looking at this stuff. I'm really sensitive on these subjects, but I saw it and thought I'd post it here for those of you that are more analytical than I am. Maybe you can pick this apart.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

It's probably just a sick joke. Not worth taking seriously, like most internet things.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:21 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Facebook pages can be edited at any time I think, no?
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

I just figured it was photoshopped or something. I would certainly hope that it's absolutely fake.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
My condolences go out to all the families affected in this, not just because innocent people were targeted, but also because it was targeting such an innocent crowd.

I don't see why people do this kind of thing though. Why would you want to kill people just to illustrate a point? Isn't there other ways to do it?

Oh, not that I want to add fuel to the fire, but the Westboro Baptist Church had to say something about the bombings. And they had to say something idiotic about it too.
I just looked up what Westboro said and I'm absolutely disgusted. How is it in America that they can make statements like that and not get charged or arrested? The First Amendment they have?

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

I wish I could post things less than 25 chars long.

Hate speech? 'Murica!
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

I wake up to this. Oh my God. First off my condolences to the families of the deceased and the injured.
I'd just like to point out that emphasizing the death of the child over the others is not wrong. They were all tragedies and I hope they all rest in peace, but no parent should have to bare the loss of their 8 year old. Someone that young, that innocent, it's just horrible. :(

This whole thing is terrifying. If it's domestic, committed by any of those anarchist and "second commandment" thumpers, we could be looking at some really bad and dangerous domestic disputes and a lot of trouble in the home-land. If it's foreign terrorism, we could be looking at some serious international repercussions that we do not need right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I'm not saying this is real or not, and I personally hate this kind of crap. When I saw it, I just yelled explicits at Tumblr, but anyway...

Spoiler:
I find it kinda suspicious that whoever posted this decided to take a picture of their screen rather than use 'print screen'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordant View Post
I just looked up what Westboro said and I'm absolutely disgusted. How is it in America that they can make statements like that and not get charged or arrested? The First Amendment they have?
When are these people gonna die and burn in hell? They're really taking it too damn far right now.
*attempts to calm down*

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordant View Post
The First Amendment is easily abused. People think it's their right to say what they want, regardless others' feelings. That's wrong. Once it hurts others' feelings (with the intention of doing so; otherwise, you merely should apologize), it infringes on their rights as a person not to be a victim of hatred and indecency.

The Internet is full of "Free Speech" abusers. The media, too. Westboro is no exception. People'll keep going and going, taking the hand, then the arm; they'd eat you alive if no one stops 'em lol the same about "rights" abuse.

@Pedro12,

And to bear the loss of a son, perhaps in his 20s? We don't know the age of the other victims, nor should that matter. It is equally horrible for wives and husbands to lose their spouse as it is to lose their child. I still don't see what age has to do with it. If one of the other victims was a 25-year-old married aspiring man with a child and a future in medicine, is it not equaling devastating for his wife to lose her husband, and for their child to lose his or her father? The whole age thing is just to stir up a reaction, as others stated; no one should ever have to suffer through something like this, the victim being a child or not, because a human life is lost, and that life affects the lives of many around them. The media ought to stop emphasizing one death as more tragic or important than that of another human being; we are all human, big, small, young, adult, with futures and goals and ambitions and dreams, and families who count on you and sons who look up to you, and teachers who have taught you, and grandparents and parents who raised you.

tl;dr: Every death is equally tragic and should receive equal attention and importance in the media. Everyone suffers, regardless of age, and the little details should not and do not subtract to the horrendous nature of the crime at-hand. There's a monster afoot, and I hope the local American police forces (I heard the FBI is involved) does all they can to put the person or persons responsible behind bars, no parole, for their heinous and barbaric crime.

The French Club

Last edited by Yusshin; April 15th, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

I'd qualify that statement. Sometimes it's important to hurt other people's feelings in order shed light upon those committing an injustice to society. I think WBC should be accused of libel and vulgar abuse instead, because what they're saying is quite obviously BS and unnecessary.

@Yusshin,

But I don't think the details are subtracting at all. People respond to the fact a kid died. And a kid did die. Even if they were looking for a response, it is still a gut response - and personally I'd like to have the whole picture and feel what I feel about it regardless of the "equality of my disgust".
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:42 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post
The First Amendment is easily abused. People think it's their right to say what they want, regardless others' feelings. That's wrong. Once it hurts others' feelings (with the intention of doing so; otherwise, you merely should apologize), it infringes on their rights as a person not to be a victim of hatred and indecency.

The Internet is full of "Free Speech" abusers. The media, too. Westboro is no exception. People'll keep going and going, taking the hand, then the arm; they'd eat you alive if no one stops 'em lol the same about "rights" abuse.
It's against the law to hurt someone's feelings? That seems like it'd be really subjective
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

The bombs seemed to have been filled with shrapnel. This doesn't lead us anywhere, but it's good to know that the perpetrator considered how much damage he or she wanted to do.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:47 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
The Westboro Baptist Church does not speak for the rest of America or the First Amendment for that matter.

Stop reacting to them like they actually do.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIFORCE89 View Post
It's against the law to hurt someone's feelings? That seems like it'd be really subjective
Well, no. You can't avoid hurting people's feelings sometimes, but some people take it too far, and then it becomes something more. Imo you can't go around publicly defaming an event or population of people with the intention of hurting them or with the intention of causing a negative reaction. Those kinds of things should be avoided; however, sometimes it's impossible if the cause is a just one (subjective), and things like wars and the like still occur.

But there are some limits that I think most people would agree on, like going on national television and claiming that all people of x race or religion are terrorists because of x and y. Or what Westboro is saying about the bombings. What is the intention there? Is it their right to say that, even though it's insulting and shocking to everyone involved, affected, injured or deceased as a result of the bombings? In these kinds of extreme circumstances, those kind of "public announcements" should be kept to oneself, because they will bring about no good whatsoever; just hate and anger.

So maybe the line is crossed when "Free Speech" suddenly becomes incitement of hatred or defamation. I guess those are the limitations already in the law (you can't incite hatred or defame someone or a company without proof; you could be arrested or sued for that). That's what I meant about Free Speech, feelings and "abuse" of the system.

Anyway.

The French Club

Last edited by Yusshin; April 15th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Went
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post

Spoiler:

Page for the bombing made on Saturday apparently. I hope it's photoshopped and the comment about Sandy Hook really bothers me as well. Just...honestly, I should quit looking at this stuff. I'm really sensitive on these subjects, but I saw it and thought I'd post it here for those of you that are more analytical than I am. Maybe you can pick this apart.
Entered the page, I only see a conspiranoic nutcase who believes the ivol, ivol guvnmt blew up the Twin Towers and that the satanic Obama wants to take your guuuunz which would have somehow saved the victims of this tragedy.

So I'm going to say he just opened a page called "I like fish" on Saturday and just renamed it last night. And filled it with images of "It was the CIA and Obama and Bush and the guvmnt is the cause of everything that's wrooooong! believe me I ahve a facebook pageeee!"
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Mario The World Champion
Slice through the evil, Gundam
Community Supporter

I've been watching coverage of the bombing non-stop ever since the beginning. I live about 100 miles away from Boston.

Banner made by Angela || Pair: Lucy
Friends: Lucy, Angela, Jen, Sammi-san, Jeremy the Sweetie, Signomi
Fanfiction.net page || DeviantART Page || Twitter || NaNoWriMo Page

Ash Ketchum: Formula One Driver
The Pokemon Tower's Best In Category Crossover Award Winner October 2005
3DS Friend Code: 0232-8258-5085
Friend Safari: - Meditite, Pancham, Riolu
Shiny Value: 1672
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links