The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Could we merge this with the small updates thread so we don't have 29403829048 stickies?

'Hoy, small fry!
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Nature: Gentle
I prefer organized 29403829048 threads over 4 bunched-up and disorganized threads.
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Is a "Forum/Staff Updates" thread disorganized?

'Hoy, small fry!
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:11 AM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

...wait, I'm really confused. When you say "this", which thread are you referring to? I thought you meant the thread we're in now which makes no sense to me at all but now idk. Do you mean that staff updates would be posted on the forum updates thread? I thought it was almost a given that that's how it'd work.
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Personally, I thought it could go well, either way. The Forum Changes are small and condensed enough to allow for easy reading, so I'd imagine any staff changes would be the same way. It wouldn't make a significant difference if, for example, it was made into an entirely different thread. It would be easy reading either way. It's not like we have to waft through a forest of posts to find something, though I'd understand that, in the long run, it can get slightly confusing (assuming the thread gets huge enough, which it probably would).
In which, the staff updates getting it's own thread might be a wiser idea.
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Went
With added juicycles

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
I'd rather put both in the same thread, we don't get enough staff changes to mantain a thread exclusively about those.
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

Yeah when I said "this" I meant "this idea", not "this thread". Sorry if I confused.

'Hoy, small fry!
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

Oh right. Yeah I'm absolutely for those updates being done in the small update thread. B)

Also about demotions and DLoAs being posted in the thread - still a definite no from me. I'll put it this way - I've gone on DLoA before due to some pretty big deal medical issues which were, at the time, something I was feeling pretty bad about and I didn't really want to be dealing with a load of people asking what was wrong. If, at that time, the Small Updates thread had been posted and my DLoA had been logged in it, I'd have been bombarded by people asking me where I'd gone / what was wrong / hoping to see me back soon / whatever which, while the thought is nice, would have been incredibly irritating and not at all something I needed to be dealing with. A lot of DLoAs are due to either exams or circumstances outside of a staff member's control, such as my one which I just mentioned. I don't think for a minute that people on DLoA for such reasons need bombarding and really, it's pretty inconsequential to members if a mod leaves and hstaff take over. DLoAs are a matter between the staff member in question and higher staff and I don't see why we need to inform members of them, honestly. Ye can see if a staff member's not bolded any more and leave it at that. I don't really want to broadcast to the entire community that someone's had to take time off or leave; it's up to them to tell who they want to and they shouldn't be bothered with questions regarding their leave if they don't want to be.

I'd like to re-address some stuff that came up earlier a lot in this thread. I saw quite a lot of people saying that they're intimidated by higher staff because they feel like we're gonna tell them off for something, that they're in trouble, etc., but I'd like to know where this belief comes from. Do we come across as too strict in public or overly standoffish or what? Or is it just the fact that we could do those things that's scary, even if it's not something we do particularly often?

Last edited by shenanigans; April 16th, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Adventure
the girl who w a i t e d

Nature: Naive
^ It's the fact that you could do those things. The fact that I might hesitate before randomly VMing a h-staff or addressing them directly because if I were to somehow upset them or if they were to ignore me, it would feel like much bigger of a deal than with a nonstaff member. Because you have formal authority and could do things.
be sure to check out PokéPOTW #24 .
moderator of POKéMON GENERAL .
and of the ROLEPLAY CORNER .
paired to a b n e g a t i o n .
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:37 AM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

Ah, that's the answer I really didn't want, haha. Because if it's the fact that we're able to do stuff that bothers people then I really don't know how to deal with that. No matter how friendly and visible around the community we are and whatnot, that ability to do stuff isn't going anywhere, so I... kinda don't see how we can fix it. But maybe I'm just wrong there, idk. Thoughts, anyone?
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I certainly cannot speak for anyone, but I feel that, if it helps clarify some things (though maybe not), people might be afraid of the higher staff because some of them give off an aura of "we're silently and collectively judging you" kind of thing.

It does really suck to be misunderstood like that (especially since I used to be afraid for those very same reasons), but that's pretty much what I can gather. .__.
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:11 AM
abnegation
adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
but I feel that, if it helps clarify some things (though maybe not), people might be afraid of the higher staff because some of them give off an aura of "we're silently and collectively judging you" kind of thing.
I think that's common paranoia. For me, I don't like saying things about people that I wouldn't say to them directly. Higher staff don't delve that deep into the characteristics of day-to-day members. So I'd say knock that one out of the ballpark.
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Adventure
the girl who w a i t e d

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
Ah, that's the answer I really didn't want, haha. Because if it's the fact that we're able to do stuff that bothers people then I really don't know how to deal with that. No matter how friendly and visible around the community we are and whatnot, that ability to do stuff isn't going anywhere, so I... kinda don't see how we can fix it. But maybe I'm just wrong there, idk. Thoughts, anyone?
It's not that strange actually. You hold positions of "official" authority here and authorities always make some people apprehensive, at least when colorful/bold/italicized names and userbars bleat out I BE STAFF whenever you post ^^ There would be tricky things with taking away the colors or styles though, like people don't knowing who to approach with forum problems and stuff, so I'll just not even suggest that as a joke ^^
be sure to check out PokéPOTW #24 .
moderator of POKéMON GENERAL .
and of the ROLEPLAY CORNER .
paired to a b n e g a t i o n .
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Sometimes people are just intimidated and wary of people in positions of authority and forum staff are no different. I've experienced this feeling myself(though not from the staff of this forum)
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
I'd like to re-address some stuff that came up earlier a lot in this thread. I saw quite a lot of people saying that they're intimidated by higher staff because they feel like we're gonna tell them off for something, that they're in trouble, etc., but I'd like to know where this belief comes from. Do we come across as too strict in public or overly standoffish or what? Or is it just the fact that we could do those things that's scary, even if it's not something we do particularly often?
I think it's just irrational fear of the authority you hold. It's quite similar to how even completely innocent and upright citizens feel the need to look innocent when they drive by / walk by a police officer. It's just second nature for people to be afraid of law/rule enforcement/ers.

It may come off as if they're intimidated by the staff because some of them are the silent types, but I'm pretty sure (as the case was with me) that such intimidation roots from the basic fear of authority. If I saw two silent types, I'd only be afraid of the staff member between them. Or at least would have been in the past.

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I think it stems from the threads-closed-for-no-reason that used to happen, the sarcastic remarks people would sometimes get, and the seemingly no-mercy "I'll infract you 10 times before messaging you if you need help."

Example? JustinRPG. Look at some of the thread he has posted here in this section. In some, the mods seem very lovely, and helpful.. but in others, mods overreact "OH MY GOD HOW MANY TIMES DO WE NEED TO TELL YOU?? *lock*"
Let's say he or any other person didn't get it even after the 15th+ time.. as a member I still expect staff to be more respectful and patient (or just put it kindly, even if it's blunt) because.. well.. that's why you were modded right? I get that it can be frustrating.. especially if there was something that was ongoing.. but I think if the community doesn't even have the chance to see that sort of unsavory behavior in the first place, you guys can be seen as more approachable.

Just a suggestion.

Edit:
Also
Quote:
people might be afraid of the higher staff because some of them give off an aura of "we're silently and collectively judging you" kind of thing.
I certainly feel this way.

Last edited by Kura; April 16th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Oryx
open up your sea chart
Community Supporter

When you talk about professionalism and politeness Kura, are you specifically talking about when we're doing official things such as locking threads, or just overall in general when we're posting around? Just clarifying. :3

'Hoy, small fry!
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
I think it stems from the threads-closed-for-no-reason that used to happen, the sarcastic remarks people would sometimes get, and the seemingly no-mercy "I'll infract you 10 times before messaging you if you need help."

Example? JustinRPG. Look at some of the thread he has posted here in this section. In some, the mods seem very lovely, and helpful.. but in others, mods overreact "OH MY GOD HOW MANY TIMES DO WE NEED TO TELL YOU?? *lock*"
Let's say he or any other person didn't get it even after the 15th+ time.. as a member I still expect staff to be more respectful and patient (or just put it kindly, even if it's blunt) because.. well.. that's why you were modded right? I get that it can be frustrating.. especially if there was something that was ongoing.. but I think if the community doesn't even have the chance to see that sort of unsavory behavior in the first place, you guys can be seen as more approachable.
As much as this makes sense, I don't think using him as an example would be the best choice.

A) I literally think my brain is about to explode because of all of comments and concerns I have regarding this particular subject/member. I'd hate to let them loose even though I could word them in a way to fit the rules, but I'd still feel terrible on the inside.

B) If I had the time, I would quote to you from about 10% of all his posts, enough 'incidents' to justify a perma-ban...

I'll just stop there. I've seen most of his CQ&F threads and personally I think the level of self-restraint the staff showed in those threads was/is unprecedented. I don't know how they pulled it off.

Kudos.

Last edited by Echidna; April 16th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
When you talk about professionalism and politeness Kura, are you specifically talking about when we're doing official things such as locking threads, or just overall in general when we're posting around? Just clarifying. :3
Both, really, in a way. There have been many times that thread have been locked with a sarcastic remark and only that.. or locked with no explanation. I think even if it's obvious, there should be a reason why it should be locked because maybe to some people, it's not so obvious.
And obviously, I don't think anyone can expect you to be saints, but if I see you being blatantly rude for the sake of being rude in regular posts, I'm.. not going to appreciate it even if I'm just a passerby. It's one thing to be blunt, and another thing to be super snarky, too. I understand when it's a joke, but if it's not it can be a bit sour. Overall, you guys are here to have fun, too, and posting crude yo' mama jokes is one thing, and acting catty towards someone is a whole other. Granted, I don't feel it's happened in quite a long while, so good on you guys, but it's something to always be wary of methinks.
I don't know what you guys have in the staff forum, but maybe a monthly like sorta review on conduct (GOOD and bad, because let's not forget the good stuff) might be helpful to you all, and maybe will also prevent activity from slipping for you guys too and make you motivated in the section that you care for.

I know this is longwinded, and sorry. The tldr version basically is:
Politeness more on staff actions (locking/ helping members) but you guys should just be wary of it elsewhere because people do look up to you so you wouldnt want it to reflect badly on you, or the rest of the staff.

Hope this helps.

Pedro: While the staff has been good pretty much most times with restraint with him, the times it has slipped I feel just reflect badly on the staff because I remember it and think "What if they reply that way to me?" I do. That's why I PM different staff now rather than post stuff; because I don't wanna keep bugging the same person/ team of people so I go to different mods.
But I digress, if he warranted it, it should be executed in a calm manner, locked saying "will PM member about this" and taken it up with the member. If it's spammy and not an actual concern/ if threads kept being made after warning said member to PM first before making threads, then the appropriate infraction should be made.

That's how I feel it should be handled.. because IMO it will help make staff more approachable. What happened then is the past, so let's take from that and learn from it. I think a few cases could have been handled better, so I'm putting my thoughts forward on the matter.

I used that as an example anyways because I remember it so vividly that's what popped into my head. I just wouldnt want to see something like that happen for anyone else from here on out.

Last edited by Kura; April 16th, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:13 PM
antemortem
resign to your demons

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
I feel like the staff as a whole could uphold some sort of professionalism in all areas rather consistently rather than only some of the time, because what if some member doesn't realize that someone has been doing the same thing repetitively, aka the staff member in question has a reason to be upset at the member in question? If I were that member and I saw the staff member losing their cool 'so easily,' I think I'd be somewhat intimidated as well. I definitely understand you guys in that respect.

Personally, I try my best to be as approachable as possible and love it when people feel like they can talk to me, because I love talking to other people, too! I might lose my composure sometimes, or come close to it, and I regret those instances where it completely turns some off to approaching me, because then I know I've failed as a person.
[4:32:35 AM] Shinx: my nipples are permanently erect
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
instances where it completely turns some off to approaching me, because then I know I've failed as a person.
Woah woah.. I dont think anyone would want you to take it that far that you feel like a failure :c.. *Hug* We all understand if you may make a mistake or dislike how you handled a situation.. we all do that at times, but I dont think any of us would want you or any other staff member to feel bad about it! Especially not THAT bad!! ;_;
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
I can't speak for every staff member, but as for myself, whenever I see something that I don't like or that bothers me and I want to give my initial reaction, I tend to just vent it to someone else I'm close to that's also on staff, like Razor Leaf, and respond or act on something later (unless it really needs urgent attention). But I can't guarantee that I'm going to be pleasant 100% of the time. I may be part of staff here, but I'm still a human being. I'm going to lose my cool at some point. Am I gonna feel bad later? Yes, I definitely will.

What I'm trying to say is that while I understand the "staff should be professional" thing, people still have to understand we are human beings just like every other non-staff member on this site. We can blow up just like any other person can (and also keep in mind, it is hard to keep cool when you have a member blowing up at you for little to no reason at all) and it's not just something we plan on doing.

I'm not saying that all staff should be mean whenever they want either. Just clarifying. But yeah, this is just my opinion on that whole matter, and tbh, I haven't seen any staff members going off harshly on people recently, so if there's been something like that lately and I've missed it, I'm sorry. And while I'm here, if you've ever gotten my grumpy side and were offended or bothered by it, I really do apologize. I have a horrible guilty conscience and I genuinely do feel awful when I realized that I've blown up at someone...though I can't think of any recent events. So yeah.

Quote:
Personally, I try my best to be as approachable as possible and love it when people feel like they can talk to me, because I love talking to other people, too! I might lose my composure sometimes, or come close to it, and I regret those instances where it completely turns some off to approaching me, because then I know I've failed as a person.
This is what I mean when I say I start to feel bad, lol. :( I completely understand feeling like that, dear. <3 Just remember not to take it so hard.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Fairy
loves you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I can't speak for every staff member, but as for myself, whenever I see something that I don't like or that bothers me and I want to give my initial reaction, I tend to just vent it to someone else I'm close to that's also on staff, like Razor Leaf, and respond or act on something later (unless it really needs urgent attention).
This. I think it's also worth mentioning that; as Sydian stated, when we do have moments of weakness or unintentional blow ups, we have a safety net in the other staff. If I totally go bonkers on some kid, I trust that the hstaff can come in, remove me from the incident, clarify things, organize the thread, and do some general cleaning up until I get my head on straight.

Of course, it's not that we expect hstaff to allow us to go berserk with total trust that it will be dealt with by someone else, but we do rely on one another to communicate and help when something goes askew. And naturally, this hypothetical mod that blew up would at least confront the issue, but my point is that we are a team and we try our best to do right by PC and it's members collectively.

Maybe this can also speak to some of the general fear of staff/hstaff -- at least those members who aren't necessarily intimidated because of the authority end of it, but are still wary. So does anyone feel that staff basically looks like a big clique? Or feel like we're too involved in a "staff group" as opposed to the community?
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
shenanigans
Staff Admin

For people who wanted staff updates in the small update thread - okay! :D

Also, I'd like to echo Alexial's thoughts just there and invite anyone with something to say on the topic to reply. It'd be really helpful.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

While I'm waiting for my pizza to cool off (since I apparently left it in the microwave for too long, ugh. I knew I should've left it for just around 45 seconds), I'm going to write this nice tl;dr post. I kind of felt you guys deserved it, especially at this point, even though a lot of it has pretty much been said already.

You guys, as the Pokecommunity staff...I'm thankful for all of you. You guys create this thread, and it shows that you guys are really making an effort to get closer to the community. Honestly, I'd like to apologize for my own misconceptions about you guys, because I initially thought you guys were kind of like this one huge, intimidating clique or something, but I realized I was wrong. That you guys care about PC, that you guys love PC, and for that, I feel bad for having those misconceptions. D:

Honestly...I'm not going to say you guys are perfect, but that shouldn't be the aim of a staff team. I doubt any staff team on /any/ forum is perfect. You guys care about the community, and honestly, it's time for me to do something for you guys. I know a lot of you have explained a lot about yourselves, and tried defending yourselves against member misconceptions. It's time for me to do the same. I figured it might mean a lot more coming from a member standpoint, especially after knowing you guys after a while. So without further ado, here's my long post.

----

Where should I begin first? I can safely say that I know at least a good majority of the mods. While I'm not going to say that I speak with staff members all that frequently, I do enough to know the kind of people they are, and honestly, they're not as intimidating as you guys might think! They're regular people, just like you and me, just like that neighbor across the street, like the friends that you hang out with on a daily basis, y'know? They're people. They're people with a dedication to a Pokemon forum, and while some of them may question "well, why are you spending that much time on an internet forum?" I bet most of them can come up with a very simple answer. "Because I love this forum, and I've made many memories here".

This sounds like the cheesiest answer to give, but it's true! People have met each other here, people found relationships here, started strong bonds and whatnot, and you'd never would've thought it would've happened at first glance, just by looking at this site. This site is a true community, but it's staff is really what make it so enjoyable in the first place! When you need someone to talk to about a problematic member, there's always a staff member to help you out with your troubles.

Take it from me, guys. As someone that knows a good majority of the staff and have talked with at least a good majority of them once, I can definitely tell you that they don't bite, and hardly any of them are even intimidating in the slightest. They're very approachable, don't mind being asked questions, and really, they're there for a reason. They love PC, they treasure the memories that come with it, and they'd be already there to help you out whenever possible.

To all new members and old members alike that are intimidated of staff: Again, don't be. I realize that the concerns in this thread are because of what h-staff /could/ do and have the /capabilities/ of doing, and I suppose that makes sense in a way. They're powerful people in a sense, but they're responsible with it, otherwise they wouldn't be h-staff yeah? So really, there's no worries about that. ^^;

In any case...I hope this didn't come off as suckup-ish in any way. Just wanted to help you guys out. :3

This post wasn't as long as I hoped it would be. Oh well, this'll do!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here