The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Zebra Thunderhead
the avenger

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
I ran it yesterday and crossed the finish line just a couple of minutes before the first bomb went off. my parents were in the bleachers right across from the first one. runners after the finish line only heard it go off and some thought it was a celebratory cannon. I'm from the area and said that they had never done that, and figured it was just a transformer exploding from the subway that goes right underneath Boylston. then I watched the second bomb got off. if you want to see panic and chaos unfold... go stand in the epicenter of a terrorist attack.

my neighbor that works for the FBI called me last night after the reports of the additional undetonated bombs in the area, and he confirmed that there was indeed an undetonated bomb underneath the bleachers that my parents and the Sandy Hook victims were sitting in.

truly sickening. but boston is a resilient city. we will overcome this.

❛i don't know where you're going
or when you're coming home.❜

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:17 AM
ShinyUmbreon189
F U C K PC! WAY TOO STRICT!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
Guys this is not a terrorist attack. It's either an act of right wing extremist or an act that the government knew about.

Boston Tea Party < taxes < 4/15 is tax day < Boston

Come on guys it's not rocket science to figure this one out. It could of been a right wing extremest doing an attack aimed at high taxes as a protest. OR the government created it to make the public think that's what happened. I mean why else would it be in BOSTON on TAX DAY?

We already know when the individual who did this (if the real individual) gets found the democratic news and the republican news will have completely separate stories involving this. They always have and always will. Also, someones probably gonna get framed for something they didn't do to protect someone else.

This is a sad event and I wish we could find different ways to settle this other than detonating explosives.
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
Guys this is not a terrorist attack. It's either an act of right wing extremist or an act that the government knew about.

Come on guys it's not rocket science to figure this one out. It could of been a right wing extremest doing an attack aimed at high taxes as a protest. OR the government created it to make the public think that's what happened. I mean why else would it be in BOSTON on TAX DAY?

We already know when the individual who did this (if the real individual) gets found the democratic news and the republican news will have completely separate stories involving this. They always have and always will. Also, someones probably gonna get framed for something they didn't do to protect someone else.

This is a sad event and I wish we could find different ways to settle this other than detonating explosives.
Terrorism: The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Terrorism is exactly what this event was. People are terrified and paranoid because the public doesn't have anything at all right now to indicate who could have done this and why. I've heard the tax day reason a lot already and that could be it but the point is nobody knows for sure. Literally the only thing that we know right now is whoever did this is a sick psychopath, regardless of whatever reasoning they have.

I've heard so far that the casualty rate is 176, with 3 deaths and 17 in critical condition. I really hope that those in critical condition recover, three deaths is three too many.
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:40 AM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
People are definitely reacting to this.

I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium today and they were doing backpack checks. Heard straight from a security guard's mouth it was because of what happened in Boston yesterday.
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
I just read in Metro this morning that the death toll is three, critical condition is seventeen, and there are over twenty-five people who had one or two limbs amputated during the blast. As well, the total wounded has risen to at least 169, but as Azalea points out, ti could be higher.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:24 AM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
People are definitely reacting to this.

I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium today and they were doing backpack checks. Heard straight from a security guard's mouth it was because of what happened in Boston yesterday.
Maybe. But sporting events / stadium, theme parks, zoo, etc. have been doing this for several years now.

Quote:

Come on guys it's not rocket science to figure this one out. It could of been a right wing extremest doing an attack aimed at high taxes as a protest.
Tax Day / Patriot Day / Boston / Newtown connection, yes there's a lot of symbolism that seems to indicate that it was domestic. Coupled with the bomb's formation.

However, we don't know. So, don't jump to conclusions. We also don't know the motive.

And, even if domestic - its still a terrorist attack

Last edited by TRIFORCE89; April 16th, 2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:

As has been pointed out, no matter what this is, it still falls in the category of terrorism. Also:

Quote:

Please, no conspiracy theories right now. 9/11 conspiracy theories are a bit interesting because there is a certain amount of reasoning / circumstantial proof behind them (not saying they're true), but I think it's safe to say that we're too early on for such theories regarding this particular event.

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
It looks like the reason that the 8-year-old boy was the only one reported among the victims is because he was the first to be identified. They just identified the second victim as Krystle Campbell, who they believed to have survived at first because her friend was carrying her ID.

Apparently the boy's younger sister is one of the amputees, as well. The reports are just getting worse and worse...

They were saying that the course had been swept for bombs twice earlier in the day, and if that's the case, the terrorist could have easily dropped the bags in the crowd sometime before they detonated... If any of the storefront security cameras somehow weren't damaged (or severely damaged) in the blast, maybe they could see it? Finding an anonymous person in a crowd that large is extremely, extremely difficult though.
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzaleaLightning View Post
It looks like the reason that the 8-year-old boy was the only one reported among the victims is because he was the first to be identified. They just identified the second victim as Krystle Campbell, who they believed to have survived at first because her friend was carrying her ID.

Apparently the boy's younger sister is one of the amputees, as well. The reports are just getting worse and worse...

They were saying that the course had been swept for bombs twice earlier in the day, and if that's the case, the terrorist could have easily dropped the bags in the crowd sometime before they detonated... If any of the storefront security cameras somehow weren't damaged (or severely damaged) in the blast, maybe they could see it? Finding an anonymous person in a crowd that large is extremely, extremely difficult though.
That's true, but our anti-terrorism network is pretty well equipped. Aside from credible witnesses and actual footage or forensic evidence, we're still pretty capable of finding out who was responsible via intelligence officers, chatter... etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the government had prior knowledge of a potential risk to our nation, just not where, when or how, just not within a decent predictable time-frame.

Old April 16th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Esper

There's no reason to assume that the government knew anything about this beforehand. Sure, it's possible, maybe even probable, but it's nothing we should assume. There have been terrorist attacks before that took us by complete surprise, or at least took people at the top by surprise. Think of all the mass shootings in the past where only school councilors or whoever knew there was something wrong with them. When lone individuals decide to do something horrible like this there isn't as much for anti-terrorist taskforces or whatever to notice before something happens. (I think the Unabomber went unknown for something like 17 years before he was caught.) There's not a whole lot you can do to anticipate attacks by single people with a cause/grudge/crazybrain.

deviantart blog pair
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM
ShinyUmbreon189

People seem to ignore the more horrid tragedies that happens in other countries but when something happens in America it's "breaking news". America is just the center of attention about everything and it's all over the world but when another country has something like this, it doesn't get recognition.
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
There's no reason to assume that the government knew anything about this beforehand. Sure, it's possible, maybe even probable, but it's nothing we should assume. There have been terrorist attacks before that took us by complete surprise, or at least took people at the top by surprise. Think of all the mass shootings in the past where only school councilors or whoever knew there was something wrong with them. When lone individuals decide to do something horrible like this there isn't as much for anti-terrorist taskforces or whatever to notice before something happens. (I think the Unabomber went unknown for something like 17 years before he was caught.) There's not a whole lot you can do to anticipate attacks by single people with a cause/grudge/crazybrain.
Certainly true! I wasn't trying to hand out any blame or anything, just saying that with the resources we have, there are many unconventional methods of finding those responsible. (:

Quote:
People seem to ignore the more horrid tragedies that happens in other countries but when something happens in America it's "breaking news". America is just the center of attention about everything and it's all over the world but when another country has something like this, it doesn't get recognition.
Not this again. Everyone can agree that all losses and tragedies are equally horrifying. Our reaction to what happened in Boston is not caused by our specific and greater care towards Americans. We care about everyone, it's just that this one particular tragedy is gaining much more news coverage, and in turn attention, because it's so rare that such a thing happens in America. Not to mention that when something like this happens in the US, there are bound to be grand repercussions that will affect a lot more countries.

Last edited by Echidna; April 16th, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Please don't even start this, especially in this thread. It's disrespectful. If you want to talk about the tragedies that happen elsewhere, then by all means, go make a thread for it. All tragedies are bad, no matter where they are in the world. If the media doesn't think that, then that's their problem, not ours. But don't come in here and start this crap. It's just plain rude. And Pedro already covered everything else I wanted to say about this. But I just couldn't leave that alone without saying something. My absolute #1 pet peeve is when people pull this kind of statement, especially when most of the time, it's someone that didn't seem to care in the first place. One bad thing happens in America, and people say "WHAT ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING IN ____ NO ONE CARES!!!" Well, you weren't caring to begin with, so why now? Just because something happened here and is getting attention? Don't even.

I'm not attacking you in that last statement either, it's just an example of what I've seen people do in times like these.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:57 PM
TrollShammy80
Loved all Pokemon Since 98'

Nature: Quiet
All I can say atm, is I am disgusted...I hope they find who ever did this....they killed an innocent little boy *shakes fists in anger*

Proud MLP Fan/NCIS/Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures/CSI and many others
RIP: Step Mom 7/17/53-7/2/13
RIP: Uncle Jesse ???-1/3/2014
"I do breed for IVs/Ev's...but I always remember to have fun playing Pokemon"
"I always play for fun on my emulators and Y version only"
www.youtube.com/trollshammy80
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

This is quite relevant, also Live will forever hate me but ok:
Spoiler:

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:01 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Quote:
Okay, here you go:

Pakistan just got hit with an Earthquake, killing 34 people.

Happy now?
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarcharOdin View Post
Exactly this. Death is not a competition.

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Most of you guys are Americans to begin with, and there's nothing wrong with feeling partial to tragedy in Anywhere, USA. Besides, these things aren't "supposed" to happen in the US anyways. The government is seen as legitimate, Protestants and Catholics aren't at each other's necks, and everybody has a decent standard of living. Violent attacks are considerably more normal and expected, wherever they happen elsewhere.
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Otter Mii-kun
Molly, you're cute ;)

Once again, we have another big tragedy strike America... people die in it, and it doesn't look like this stuff is ever going to end. Then Pakistan gets hit with an earthquake! This kind of stuff makes me wish I could hop in a time machine and go back to the 1800s-when the world was a much better place! I keep hearing more and more of these major tragedies are going to occur and much more frequently as we head into the Tribulation. (I wish the world had ended and rapture took place the morning of 9-11, before the first of the Twin Towers was hit.)
And once again, people like me will be persecuted (I'm a white male Christian, non-Hispanic, which all of these are major strikes against me in society, and especially in the job market) even more than before as a result of this attack.
It's even worse when young children die in these attacks!

The world as a whole is more violent than it was before Noah's flood!
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Noooo! if you time travel back in time to the 1800's as a white male Christian, you'll be a slaveowner and wifebeater if you're well off, or just being racist if you're lower class. And then you might die from infectious diseases like polio, TB or the flu!

Even if White Christian males aren't as OP as they were 200 years ago, they're still the privileged class today XD And it's always amusing to hear the privileged complain about their "persecution". I suggest you forget about persecution and make the most of your esteemed status while you can!

The world is not more violent than it was before Noah's flood, back then there were no laws and thus any man could punish any other man to whatever limits he desire. It only seems more violent because of the media. Crime rates are mostly going down. And at the end of the day, you're still a White Christian male. You've got nothing to be afraid of, really.
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:20 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter Mii-kun View Post
This kind of stuff makes me wish I could hop in a time machine and go back to the 1800s-when the world was a much better place!
Right, no internet, no Pokemon, and just try coming out as gay or even atheist, oh and did I mention legal slavery in America for the first half of the century.

Oh, lets not forget a mean lifespan of little more than a quarter of a century.

This isn't even going into the Wars fought in many countries back then (for us Americans, it was the good ol' Civil War)
Old April 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Not so much a "better place" than not hearing about these kinds of things. It seems more dangerous now simply because information is so easily passed around. The Internet changed everything, basically.

Also, explicit language is explicit.

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post...on-marathon-on

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club

Last edited by Yusshin; April 16th, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Lance
Pokémon Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Yes, let's go back to an era when Slavery was ok. Great idea.

.....With that, let's get back to the topic please.
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:24 PM
ShinyUmbreon189

As much as I hate to say this. When I seen on the news Boston got bombed I was not shocked. It's just another tragedy happening in America that's gonna be the hot topic for a week or two and be "forgotten" after that. It's not gonna be completely forgotten but no ones gonna talk about it just like every other tragedy in America. I mean yea it's sickening that people do this but if you compare the 3 deaths and 100+ casualties that happened then it's nothing compared to what happens every single day here in America. It's gotten attention because it's bombs and what it caused.

I just have a feeling the government knew about this, because of where it was taken place and when it was taken place. But we don't know for sure, were just making assumptions now. Realistically the real truth wont come out.. It never does.
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

I was relatively shocked because it came out of nowhere. And this is the first time I have experienced finding out about a crisis within 5 minutes of it happening, so in terms of mind=blown, then yeah it was shocking. But that's how we deal with tragedies anyway, it's part of the grieving process so we can move on. It wouldn't be very good if we had to bear the burden of every loss on our shoulders every day, would it?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here