Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Is cloning cheating?
Yes, it is cheap in my opinion! 20 60.61%
No, it is a fully legitimate method! 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Frost Mage

Advertise here
So I've recently obtained a few cloned shinies through trading, and while they were clearly not hacked, I started to wonder about the legitimacy of this practice. Sure it's just an exact copy for someone else to have, but cloning is putting far more shinies out there, and making the need to soft-reset/RNG far smaller. What do you think, is it cheating/cheap?
Old April 17th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

This is a debatable question. If it's an Event, many do not see it as cheating, but even in those cases some still think it is. Some will meanwhile clone Events but nothing else, because Events are Events (meant for everyone) and not everyone can get them (geographical region), so clones are a common practice. This is also the case with legendaries, even in-game ones that are game-exclusive.

Whether it's considered cheating is really a matter for an individual to decide.

Cyclone
"Y'know...my Emolga really wants to shock your Dedenne."

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 17th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Forever
let it go

Just throwing this over to Pokemon Gaming Central because Fifth Generation pertains to questions which are specific to those games. This is a broad question, thus fits here! n_n
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
I think it's cheating. You're duping the system into thinking that that Pokemon should exist more than once, when it shouldn't. It also dumbs down the rarity of certain event Pokemon, shiny Pokemon, high-IV Pokemon, etc. and if you will, it hurts the game's "economy."

It's like doubling an item in an MMORPG. Normally that's a ban-able offense for understandable reasons.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Nature: Quirky
In my opinion it is not cheating, cloning only makes an Exactduplicate of the poke you are trading, so how does that make it cheating? You are not changing any thing about the pokemon itself, I mean if some one changed the moves or nature or any thing like that I would consider that cheating but not cloning ever.
My Trading Thread ---> HERE
Name: ~RNC~ Y 3DS FC: 4012 5688 9276 Safari Pokes: Dragon: Druddigon, Shelgon and Fraxure
I Clone 6th Gen.
My Thread Review ---> HERE
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:44 PM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I would say yes, since you're doing an exact replica of a Pokemon that you already have instead of using the game's legit system to try and get the same Pokemon you're just cloning the Pokemon. The game itself doesn't talk about teaching you or even mention cloning at all, so it's basically cheating. It also make rare Pokemon less rare since no one is losing anything out of cloning.
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
As long as the Pokemon you're cloning was obtained legitimately, then it's fine. I don't care. I ain't about to RNG the same Pokemon over and over just to trade them to other people for them to use. I ain't about that life. If you don't like clones and don't think it's a good practice, don't go to the Trade Corner.

paired to crono
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Pinta77
McDonald's Insider
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pinta77
I think it's ok if you do it using a glitch, and not a gameshark or an action replay. Ya, I understand lots of people don't like it and I understand why, but I consider it cheating only if you use an external device.

When I learned about the duplicating glitch in emerald, I cloned my shiny azumarril a bunch. So if anyone happens to have an orange azumarril with the OT Max, well now you know where it came from

Wonder Trade!!!
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Yes, I do think cloning is cheating instead of raising it you have to clone it to others. :/
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

Every one is going to have their own opinion on this, some think it's cheating and others do not, this will be a never ending discussion about this question.
Name: ~RNC~ Y 3DS FC: 4012 5688 9276 Safari Pokes: Dragon: Druddigon, Shelgon and Fraxure
I Clone 6th Gen.
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:47 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

I have to agree with Sydian about cloning, I'm definitely not going keep RNGing the same Pokemon over and over again to offer in my shop. As for events, it really helps for people who can't get certain events. It would be near impossible to build up a substantial collection AND have events to trade to other people. As for making rare Pokemon less rare, yes, it does put more into circulation. However, unlike online MMOs, they have no virtual currency value. In addition, it helps out the people who cannot obtain the Pokemon themselves. A much better alternative to hacking and importing wondercards no?
Moderator of Trade Corner
PM me | VM me
My Pair

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naughty
Hi tabor62 ^-^

IMO YES!! and YES it is and forever will be!

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old April 17th, 2013, 06:59 PM
~RNC~
Mother Of All Pokemon!!

I am like I got it and can offer it weather it be a clone or not I am helping out a some one who needs what I have but still keeping it for myself.
I Clone 6th Gen.
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Kitori
[ ICE QUEEN ]
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Sassy
Ehhh... it's hard to say, I guess. I think if you're an avid collector pretty much the only way you're going to be able to get a large collection of rare pokemon is if you're open to clones. I can see why people would think it's cheap or cheating, though, but I don't mind clones myself.

Let the storm rage on....
The cold never bothered me anyway.

[ TRADE THREAD | FRIEND CODE | TWITTER | CHALLENGE | PAIR♥]

Old April 17th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
The only time I really clone is if I'm transferring a Pokemon from one generation to the next (III to IV, IV to V), just so I don't have to get rid of it from my original game. I don't see it as cheating, though, since clones are likely just of legitimate Pokemon, which I'd much rather have than a hacked individual.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:51 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Yes, and I strongly believe so. Don't you think duplicating the hard work catching and raising Pokémon in an instant is bad? It is the path used by people who want to conserve their Pokémon for trade. How can you call it a 'trade' if you practically are not exchanging? Yes, cloning shouldn't be done.
~
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Yankas

Most definitely, there is no way to clone without using either a cheating device or abusing an exploit/glitch within the game.
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Good question. I think that Cloning shinies is perfectly acceptable and not cheating because there isn't much different in terms of the Pokemon's battling capabilities, as long as its moves and abilities remain the same. However, if we were cloning event Pokemon (Like for example, a Pikachu with the move Fly) then I think it would be cheating if we were cloning things like that.
Quote:
Boilurn, the Scald Pokemon and the evolved form of Hottle. It can burn the holder by the lightest of touches when it boils. It can boil 3 gallons of water in one minute.
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:55 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

I fail to see any difference between cloning shinies and event Pokemon. You might say it's because of special event moves that they may have. But let's consider Pokemon like these. (Ignore the random Flying Pikachu mixed in with them ) Completely normal other than being an event no?
Moderator of Trade Corner
PM me | VM me
My Pair

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Outnumbered
This is a Sailor's Prayer
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Outnumbered
As far as i'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with cloning. It allows someone to be able to offer a great pokemon of theirs for anything that they might possibly need and not have to worry about having to get rid of that pokemon.

As long as these struggles are aimless, we will all be standing still.
Trade Thread3DS FCPair
Old April 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Cassiopeiia
Floating

Nature: Bashful
If you are using cloned Pokémon with perfectly legitimate stats and moves to battle with, would you, in the context of the battle, be cheating?
No you wouldn't, you would however be cheating if your Pokémon sported a move it should not be able to learn, for example.

In the context of in-game Pokémon collecting however, cloning is cheating because you are collecting your Pokémon by a use of methods not intended by Game Freak to be possible. They created the game and the rules, and by cloning, you are breaking them. Obviously it's cheating.

Whether it's an issue or not is a totally different question. Personally I don't think it's a problem more than using cheat codes in, say, the Sims is a problem. As long as those you trade with are aware it's a clone, and as long as you're not using your perfect IV clones to gain an upper hand in battle over honest breeders, there really is no problem at all. You're entitled to play the game the way you enjoy it the most as long as you don't interfere with others' experience. There's the GTS though, but oh well.
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:43 PM
awolfsquared
Prattoween
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
My friends and I would to clone Pokemon in Gold and Silver all the time, and we saw nothing wrong with it. If your cloning a Pokemon is for a event like the ones that happen in the Trade Corner in PC and they have legit stats,moves, etc , then I'd say no, it isn't cheating. It makes distribution of the Pokemon that are hard to get easier. As long as the Pokemon has legit stats and moves it can actually learn, I'm find with it.

Andy and April's Halloween party: "Someone will die" "...of fun!" "And of murder..."
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to

Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:36 AM
Aslan
the pretender

I guess you could argue both sides to this question. In a way it is technically cheating. Game Freak, like mentioned before never wanted you to use this sort of method while playing the game. Also, what about if you threw on a Master Ball on the Pokemon you were going to clone? Not only would you get a duplicate copy, but you'd get another Master Ball, which is not supposed to happen as a Master Ball is crowned as the ultimate Pokeball and was intended for one time use. But I'm not sure, from videos I've seen it's possible to clone items that are on the Pokemon.

However in another way it isn't cheating. I mean as long as you're not tacking on items like Master Balls, it's perfectly fine. They're still legitimate Pokemon as long as they have moves that can be learnt by them etc. And even though I don't RNG and am not a person who is a frequent trader, I would certainly clone than RNG over and over for the same Pokemon. I mean it saves time and effort and in a way it shouldn't be classified as 'cheating'. But that's my opinion on this. XD

it's a matter of time
before we learn to fly
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Anszkz.DkLt
The Semi-Newb

Nature: Brave
Even if it isn't done by using external devices to interfere with the games normal execution (e.g. AR, GS) it's still considered an exploitation of a bug and therefore by cloning, you're not only cheating the game and the developers but you're also cheating YOURSELF...

Meh, that's just my 2cents...

But i'm not saying that I'm against cloning (though I deem it more ethical if done without external devices).. Heck i've already got a bunch of Shiny legendaries that I trade for other shiny legendaries that I level up to 100 if they aren't already then trade them for other shinies. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Current Challenges
  • Hunger Games Challenge - District 12 - Emerald (0/8)
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:22 PM
Sheep

Well, cloning wasn't intended to be a method for players to use in their games, so in a way it is cheating. But I don't consider it cheating as much as using an Action Replay is, especially if you're closing Pokemon you got legitimately. It's a bit of both so I can't word my answer without it being confusing, haha. :[

rockin' | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here