• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Braille and other forms of non-verbal in-game "communication"

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Something interesting in past Pokemon games has been braille. It was found in the third generation games, and was important in unlocking certain secrets to be able to get the Regi's. It brought about the idea of non-English communication having a meaning in the games to get a message from years ago. While I'm not talking about non-English NPC communication (such as an NPC speaking Japanese or something), I'm talking about more... in-built terms of communication. For example, in Black and White, there was foreign language that needed to be translated to understand the Abyssal Ruins, and the same happened around the Regi's in Black 2 and White 2. Said languages mean very little on the games themselves, but can be interesting, as you can learn a little about a different way to communicate messages from the past other than the most common languages that most Pokemon players know.

Would you like these games to touch upon a form of communication like that when checking ancient rock formations or something along those lines? Would you like it to be in the form of braille, or something brand new? Or would it only be annoying and serve as a boring feature of the games? Is there a form of ancient language or communication that could fit in very well with where we think the games are set? Do you think we'd learn more about this language or form of communication throughout our journey in the games? Share yo thoughts.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'm a big fan of the Braille puzzles that was put into RSE. Since I didn't know how to read Braille, it gave the challenge of unlocking and finding the Reggies more mystery which made it a memorable and enjoyable experience. Of course, I looked up what the Braille meant online, but it didn't make finding them any less fun.

To say the least, I'd love to see them include this again, even if it was something other than Braille. Actually, wouldn't it be cool if they came up with their own sort of ancient scripture sort of like hieroglyphics?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Gen II had the Unown too, that was sort of like a Pokémon version of the alphabet, and I found some confusing at first to say the least xD

I hope they bring something around, maybe Latin?

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
The first time I saw the Unown language it took me like how many days (without the guide book or internet help) to figure things out and such. Gave me a head ache -.-'

Unless they some how is able to have understand Pokemon speech. Or a other Pokemon-alphabetical-number type of thing like Unown.

Or they legit make a literal brand new language like Simlish.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
I never did figure out what those things in the Abyssal Ruins were, or how you could translate them. If they were to implement something like this, they'd have to make it easier to understand.

What I'm curious about is if they'll implement any sort of manually imput code puzzles like in the Plasma base in BW2. That was fun.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
Years
Interestingly, French Braille is defined by Wikipedia as "the original braille alphabet, and the basis of all others." So it's certainly possible that Braille could be in this game if it takes place in at least a part of France, and may even have a Pokemon to correspond with the Regis, seeing as they all seem to revolve around Braille(maybe a new "true leader" Regi?).

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I'm a big fan of the Braille puzzles that was put into RSE. Since I didn't know how to read Braille, it gave the challenge of unlocking and finding the Reggies more mystery which made it a memorable and enjoyable experience. Of course, I looked up what the Braille meant online, but it didn't make finding them any less fun.

This is what I felt about it, except at the time I went to the library a lot more often so I looked it up in books there. I had a hunch that it was Braille but of course didn't know how to read it. What made the discovery even more interesting was that I wasn't expecting anything like it. I was just doing different runs through the currents next to Pacifidlog to collect everything and saw this dive spot out in the middle of nowhere among them.

I went through the dive spot and ended up in this cave; it even had the perfect music to go along with the 'lonely and highly mysterious' vibe the place had. I clicked on one of the rock piles and was like 'what the hell is this?' Later on I realized it was Braille and immediately got interested in finding out what was said, learning the alphabet of course and then having to remember where I first saw the three caves it had unlocked across the map.

Finding the Regi Trio is still one of the most exciting things I have done in the games to date because of this. At the time it was a sidequest that was so mysterious(and kind of out of the way) that got me really interested in learning something new.

In short, yes I would like to have something again like it.

The Abyssal Ruins were kind of interesting but I really don't know what to say about them. I don't even think I've fully solved them yet because of how bizarre it seems.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Interestingly, French Braille is defined by Wikipedia as "the original braille alphabet, and the basis of all others." So it's certainly possible that Braille could be in this game if it takes place in at least a part of France, and may even have a Pokemon to correspond with the Regis, seeing as they all seem to revolve around Braille(maybe a new "true leader" Regi?).

That's actually kind of interesting. Maybe we could click on Braille randomly on certain buildings to learn a bit more about certain places?

Also Morse code lgi

tnfsf11

NO. no more braille, the Unown was ok but braille is just beyond my understanding.
If I wanted to make a blind run of X/Y I wouldn't be able to because at some point I would have to check the net to find out how to progress in the game cuz I can't read braille!
Just what were they thinking when they implemented words made by dots in a children's game who are still learning to read? (I'm not but I can only read English in games).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think the advantage is that it'd help children better understand things outside of the English language they know, and would rather make them more worldly, which is what they tried to achieve in generation 3. Given how complicated parts of gen 5 were, chances are they could do something again like this to further children's education, sorta.

Years
  • Age 32
  • usa
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
i had to get a book on braille at the libary since we did not have internet at the time. and maybe they will use sign language next game!

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Yes, I do believe the Braille language AND the Unown language were great additional surprises cuz no-one expected them lol.

I'd like to see some other kind of language implementation tho not Braille or Unown cuz it has become old xD

Anyways I'd really like to see the stuff. They pep up the game and really add the sense of mystery. Some puzzles are hardcore, while some are like loose ends.

The biggest irony is that Braille Language is used for the blind and understandable only by touch, while the computer written Braille Language cannot be read by touch and we have to depend on eyesight.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
i had to get a book on braille at the libary since we did not have internet at the time. and maybe they will use sign language next game!

Probably... not. Because sign language in general would involve actually using hands and stuff, whereas most of in-game coding/text is just written and from years ago. :(

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I think the biggest and easiest things that they could use were Braille and the Unown puzzles. Other forms of non-verbal communication are much more tricky to implement into the games. Those two things I'd be happy to see come back again, as they were always fun puzzles to solve. I'd prefer Braille to come back over Unowns again, however, as I feel like it'd be hard to find some relevance to what they are there for.

Years
In the European version of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, there actually was a Braille alphabet included to the manual. Later, when I got a US copy, I was surprised to see that there was no such thing. I wondered how you could find out how to solve the puzzles etc. lol

Personally, I loved the Braille puzzles. It was so mysterious and fitted the whole story about the Regis.

I also loved how in generation 5 (I guess, also in generation 4?), there were people speaking a different language. I always thought that was a way to show that Pokémon really is a game that is known world wide. It also makes the game more realistic and makes people more open-minded about other languages. That's what I think, at least.

Back