The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Old April 14th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naughty

Advertise here
Dont you just hate it when Windows 8 hates you?

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
My favorite evolution series

Kiwi Land|Thunder Bolt Forums|ProBoards After Dark|New Zealand

Old April 14th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Aurora
Gives me more EDGE

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
Tough contest between Windows XP and Windows 8. On the one hand, you have an ugly piece of software with multiple security holes and dreadful piracy countermeasures. On the other hand, you have software with a GUI designed for tablets which is complete rubbish on desktops, no Start button, and stripping of the desktop feature. I would probably have to go with Windows 8, being biased because I am currently enduring it now, but XP isn't far behind.

server modblogmy lovely pair <3twitterfighting for social justice • skype me: auroracr9826
Old April 14th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

OK here is something to get haters ranting on....

Spoiler:

Windows eXPerience is such a stable and fast operating system that can handle most things you throw at it.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old April 14th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
My other laptop still runs XP (the other two run W7). What a wonderful photo you've posted, Pika*3.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu View Post
OK here is something to get haters ranting on....

Spoiler:

Windows eXPerience is such a stable and fast operating system that can handle most things you throw at it.

Whilst its true that XP came out in 2001, extended support for XP ends in 2014, and the latest service pack for the system was released in 2008, it's gonna be sooner or later when we have to move on from XP. XP is indeed a stable OS, but it isn't about the stability of XP, it's more about the security on why a majority of these "haters" appear to be bashing XP and are trying to convince you to move onto newer operating systems.

Trust me, I love XP. However, the only reason I might appear as "biting" to your opinion is that you talking about loving XP so much, I have yet to see you comment on how you've tried other operating systems such as Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Fairy
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

@ZachLMedia

^-^ So glad to meet another XP fan *Shakes your hand hard*

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Idk but I think W8 is good imo.

I'd say vista was the worst for me it had many bugs on the release although it was fixed woth the service packs.

XP was good too since almost like every software works in it. :3
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Windows 7 and XP seem good to me but I've heard vista sucks and 8 doesn't look so good

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

VISTA IS COOL MAN!! It's fast stable and works well with games.

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old April 17th, 2013, 05:30 PM
KingCharizard
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
IMO Windows 2000 what was the point of it? I'm really fond of the new Apple OS. I'm using windows 7 I like it, vista wasnt bad to me either, I also like XP. I've owned a windows computer most my life but 2000 was the worst in my opinion.. Linux, is kind of the forgotten OS but from the images i've seen it looks interesting
Old April 17th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu
Yep, that's me

I have heard mixed messengers about 2000

It's good, bad, dumb, crappy and BOSD prone.

Whats so bad about it? I have NEVER used it. LOL

Pichu2Pikachu2Raichu

Old April 19th, 2013, 10:19 AM
AntimatterAsh
Antimatter thing.

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Sorry for misspelling operating.

This thread is to replace the closed thread.

SO PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!

The topic is, in your view, what is the worst operating system ever made and why?

Me, anything above Windows XP is dumb.

Let the thread begin!
Can I just point out that Windows XP has been one of the most successful and long lived OS out there? Windows 8, Windows ME (Mistake Edition) and Server 2012 are annoying, I hear that Server 2003 R1 and 2008 R1 are rubbish too.

Quote:
I have heard mixed messengers about 2000

It's good, bad, dumb, crappy and BOSD prone.

Whats so bad about it? I have NEVER used it. LOL
There is nothing wrong with 2K what so ever. I still use it. Maybe you are thinking of ME.

Last edited by AntimatterAsh; April 19th, 2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Branellope
THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Branellope
Windows FECKING Vista. Also not a fan of 8, maybe because I'm not used to it. But when I click where the start button was I get a freaking tablet menu. When I'm on a laptop, I want it to look like one.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Yankas

The worst OS that actually has a significant user base is probably XP.
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Sooyun
Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU

Location: Sleeping with Cyndaquil, Torchic, Charmander, and Pokabu
Nature: Sassy
Windows Vista. Had lots of BSOD and sluggishness from it. Went 7 and 8 (my parents laptops are 7 and mine is 8 - only reason I'm not on that one is cause I need a new adaptor) and never looked back.

Yea, Windows 8 isn't perfect with the whole 'modern/metro/whatever' interface, but that's what Skip Metro Suite is for (and Windows 8.1 or Blue is supposed to have the option to skip metro and go straight to desktop). I never used Windows Media Player (I use Potplayer for everything media and Windows Explorer for adding to my mp3 players) so I don't miss it.

Current Challenge(s):

B.I.N.G.O - Kanto - Love @ 1st Sight - LG

Current Challenges on hold:
UMC (Fire) => Fire Red Soul Silver Emerald Platinum Black

Complete Challenges:

Event: Green, Gold, and Booze☆ - St. Patrick's Challenge Event!
Event: Challoween - Halloween Event
Lyrics Challenge (Rhianna -Sell Me Candy)
Dream Theme - Survival Of the Fittest

The Hippie Challenge - Blastoise//Sandslash//Fearow//Lapras

Future Challenge(s):
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Windows 8 was bad enough to make me shell out the extra £400 for a Macbook Air with Office. nuff said.

Although that might have been a problem with the laptop (Sony Vaio T13 Ultrabook). But Anyway the tutorials were bad, the user interface was bad, IE was worse than ever (didn't play video on any site, sent iPlayer straight to connection test, and was so slow I couldn't even look up what gestures did what), the App Store was awful (I searched for an iPlayer App and it brought up 4 pages of results, most of which had nothing to do with video. And the endless updates it said I needed to use my pre-installed apps never fully downloaded).

Shame because it looked pretty cool, but when a virus-laden 2min-battery life toshiba running XP that had to be balanced carefully on the edge of a table so the fan could get enough air was better than a brand new ultrabook running Windows 8, I knew it was time to change.

Apple's OS on the other hand has been pretty sweet - refurbished Macbook came with Mountain Lion and I've had no bugs whatsoever.

The way my school installed Windows 7 and Office 2011 also made it significantly worse than XP. But that's definitely just their fault - it thinks its been pirated onto around 200 PCs, and office 2011 has to have the update settings checked every time you start up.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Krazzikk

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Sorry for misspelling operating.

This thread is to replace the closed thread.

SO PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!

The topic is, in your view, what is the worst operating system ever made and why?

Me, anything above Windows XP is dumb.

Let the thread begin!
What do you have against 7?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:23 AM

Booted out - don't be like me!

I'm working well enough with windows 7.
I've used a few operating systems and they have their strengths and weaknesses.

Windows 98, my first real operating system. Fond memories. Worked fine for the time.
Windows 2k, again it worked fine. I didn't really see much of a difference between 98 and 2k
Windows XP, didn't get this until later (after downloading it, and installing it with a key taken from the back of a computer at school!). I understand that it wasn't that great security wise, the graphics and ability of it was mind-blowing (well maybe not mind-blowing, but definitely something new).
Windows Vista, Ugh. Never actually had it on any of my computers, I've always been behind the curve, waiting for them to be released as stable torrents so I was fortunate enough to jump straight to 7. I guess vista addressed the security flaws in XP, a bit too well - my experience using it at friends houses was okay to begin with but soon ground to a halt having to confirm a security thing at every stage, as well as the incompatibility with a lot of existing programs and hardware.
Windows 7, yeah I enjoy it. I find it's a good mix of performance and looks, I'm not sure about security (as I guess most operating systems are these days, it's up to the user to install and manage security).
Windows 8, I don't know, I think it looks ugly. I'm not prepared. I haven't used it or spoken to people that have used it much. I'll stick to windows 7 for a while yet.
OS X 10.2.2, currently got this on an old eMac. It's hard to use and programs frequently crash, I haven't had much experience using OS X. I can accept that it appears to be pretty 'foolproof', I grow frustrated with the lack of customisation and when analysed with a whollistic approach I am a bit meh on osx not having a lot of programs and cross-compatibility.
Linux, I haven't used this much either. I guess it's on the other end of the spectrum as OSX, it's super-open. Too open and complex for my needs. Great that it's free and open-source, but I don't need that. Again, as with the OSX thing, I'm not that much into it that I have time and resources to learn a constantly changing thing (like linux), as well as application support etc.
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:03 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
Windows 8 sucks, Intel works hard to provide backwards compatibility with their chips, why would the w8 OS block backwards compatibility, if it is already present?! That is like putting plastic covering over your car radio player, it is already their why would someone want to loose functionality?
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:09 PM
R.F.
totally human

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoActor View Post
Windows 8 sucks, Intel works hard to provide backwards compatibility with their chips, why would the w8 OS block backwards compatibility, if it is already present?! That is like putting plastic covering over your car radio player, it is already their why would someone want to loose functionality?
It's more like Microsoft wanting to dictate the market, what technology to use. Another example is this so called UEFI Secure Boot, which is designed to replace the BIOS. This one has given the Linux community quite some trouble. Fortunately you can turn it off (well, until now...)
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
The Doctor
I've got new kidneys!
Community Supporter

Location: The planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous
Nature: Adamant
I like Windows 8, I find it pretty great for my laptop, I've had no problems with it.

IGN: Adam
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Lokhlan
Formerly "Tendo"

Nature: Relaxed
The worst operating system from my experiences thus far has been Windows ME. I had so many issues with that OS when I was using it. I was always receiving error message pop ups all the time - I wanted to pull my hair out.

Friend Safari is Normal Type 5455-9491-0290
Aipmon, Audino, Smeargle
Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
This is a silly question, every programmer and their cat has made their own Linux distribution. It should be "worst popular or big-name OS."

My vote goes to Arch Linux. There's no reason to use it aside from feeling smarter than you actually are.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:48 AM
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora. View Post
Tough contest between Windows XP and Windows 8. On the one hand, you have an ugly piece of software with multiple security holes and dreadful piracy countermeasures. On the other hand, you have software with a GUI designed for tablets which is complete rubbish on desktops, no Start button, and stripping of the desktop feature. I would probably have to go with Windows 8, being biased because I am currently enduring it now, but XP isn't far behind.
Which desktop features did they strip of? I only noticed start button.

The start button isn't necessary because you would be spending the same amount of time in the start menu... maybe even less time because everything is right in front of you.
But if you really want that start button, 8.1(which will be free to people who use windows 8) brings it back(though it does the same thing as clicking the left corner).

Anyone who hates on Windows 8 is afraid of change, when the start button was first announced with Windows 95, people went nuts saying it's going to be ****, and change is bad because they're not used to it.

Back on topic; I have a hard time choosing between XP and Ubuntu
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:53 AM
Jetfire
Courage doesn't always roar.

Nature: Brave
Can't complain about the start button on W8 .. due to popular demand it's back.

I've had no problems with all my installations of Windows.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here