The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
The key word there being formerly. Why is everyone so hung on these so called patterns 24/7? The only 'pattern' that should really matter when it comes to Eeveelutions is how each represents a sole type.
Despite the Physical/Special split in Gen IV, Eevee still managed to received two new evolutions that were formerly special-based, Grass and Ice, which means game mechanic changes have no effect on patterns/traditions, which are important models on what to expect on the next game to prevent gamers from being overhyped on things that'll never happen due to patterns/traditions.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeops12354 View Post
Are you forgetting hoppip? It just screams pink.

Spoiler:
I don't think you know what a connotation is.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:30 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
The fact that we only have one Eeveelution, and one former special type left still leaves me thinking it'll be Dragon.
Old April 19th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I'd love to see a Fighting type, but that's me.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 19th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Despite the Physical/Special split in Gen IV, Eevee still managed to received two new evolutions that were formerly special-based, Grass and Ice, which means game mechanic changes have no effect on patterns/traditions, which are important models on what to expect on the next game to prevent gamers from being overhyped on things that'll never happen due to patterns/traditions.
That dosent mean they can't break it now. Game Freak can do what they please with their own game. I find it much more likely that Sylveon is a new type than Dragon type.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Going along with what Shiny Celebi said, they can break any of these so called patterns at any point, they are not forced to stick with them. You honestly consider this Eeveelution pattern' to be in the leagues of game tradition? You honestly consider a single, simple, lucky evolution line to be an important key to hold back overhyping in future games? Good lord...

This reminds me of how everyone started to use FrLg and HGSS as another pattern, even when it was shown that the games come out as they come out, with no real pattern in mind. This 'pattern' is even similar in that Esp/Umb started out as the first new pair, then Gla/Lea came out as the second pair, and we all know that two does not make a pattern.

They've also broken tradition before, in order to breathe some new life into things, the most notable recently being how Black 2/White 2 broke the tradition of just a simple, slightly beefed up third games. We're also getting a full 3D game pair to kick off 6th gen, that's a HUGE change many thought would/should never come.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Community Supporter

One break in tradition doesn't essentially mean that tradition is essentially over, to break fully they'll need to do it multiple times at least imo. (sort of like in a graph some points don't quite line up in a straight line, but sometimes it's only one point and you can ignore it sometimes).

Anyways I still think it's Dragon. Now if they've done another pair I would be thinking other wise.
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

It's been more than one tradition that's been broken, but my point isn't that it's always going to be changed; What I'm pointing out is that just because things may make it seem like there is a pattern, there is just as much of a chance that said so-called 'pattern' can be broken. Is occasionally opposing tradition (reasonably) not allowed or something?

Going on, comparing a little coincidence(thus far, a pattern is just speculation) such as the eeveelutions that have so far come out to be in the league of a huge tradition such as, say, obtaining badges(something that is much, much more likely to not change) is pretty ridiculous.

Being more specific, having a next eeveelution that wasn't originally special-based is not ruining anything because the pattern wasn't confirmed to begin with. Now something like giving an eeveelution a dual-typing, due to it's history of each evolution symbolizing a specific type after being exposed to different situations, would be a bigger deal.

Old April 19th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
It's been more than one tradition that's been broken, but my point isn't that it's always going to be changed; What I'm pointing out is that just because things may make it seem like there is a pattern, there is just as much of a chance that said so-called 'pattern' can be broken. Is occasionally opposing tradition (reasonably) not allowed or something?

Going on, comparing a little coincidence(thus far, a pattern is just speculation) such as the eeveelutions that have so far come out to be in the league of a huge tradition such as, say, obtaining badges(something that is much, much more likely to not change) is pretty ridiculous.

Being more specific, having a next eeveelution that wasn't originally special-based is not ruining anything because the pattern wasn't confirmed to begin with. Now something like giving an eeveelution a dual-typing, due to it's history of each evolution symbolizing a specific type after being exposed to different situations, would be a bigger deal.
Them all being Mono-typed and them all being based on Special type is the same thing as far as patterns and traditions go. So if you are saying that it can be broken with the next one not being a special type then you are saying it can be broken with a dual type since its the same arguement.

Them all being Mono typed is just as much a speculative coincidence as all of them being based on Special types. So they either both ruin the pattern or neither do. History agrees with that as well.
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Liberal Army
The Emperor of Hoenn

Nature: Adamant
I've read this rumor on Reddit that goes like this;
Spoiler:
" So I had this idea that Sylveon might be based on a Poison Ivy, so I was looked up Poison Ivies on wikipedia, and to my surprise, there is a specie of Poison Ivy called Oxicodendron Sylvestre or Rhus Sylvestris. It grows in China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. So it's not only a local Japanese poison ivy, it also has Sylve in it's name. Thoughts?"

Well this seems really plausible. Although Sylveon doesn't look like a Poison type, there is a photo edited to this post featuring a tree with this nice pink color.

And another reason why Sylveon could be Dragon type is because of the Astral background during the trailer. Looks alot like Iris's battle background in B2/W2

ENOUGH WITH THE CHALLENGES OK?!?
No wait... There is this one challenge... Check out the Species Challenge for some fun!

Ground Safari with Phanpy, Nincada and ??? (Please add me so you can find out!)
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
that's more far fetched than the bird. how many pokémon are based on that obscure a plant? it doesnt even look poison. wouldn't that make it grass-type, anyway?
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I mean no rudeness by this, but I find it rather humorous that some are trying to tie the "egg" into their type preference in some convenient way.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 19th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Navy Blue
Artist

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendhunter14 View Post
I've read this rumor on Reddit that goes like this;" So I had this idea that Sylveon might be based on a Poison Ivy, so I was looked up Poison Ivies on wikipedia, and to my surprise, there is a specie of Poison Ivy called Oxicodendron Sylvestre or Rhus Sylvestris. It grows in China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. So it's not only a local Japanese poison ivy, it also has Sylve in it's name. Thoughts?"
Well this seems really plausible. Although Sylveon doesn't look like a Poison type, there is a photo edited to this post featuring a tree with this nice pink color.
This could be cool and unexpected, and I like poison a bit! :O
But, who knows (besides GF, of course)?

Good day.
Old April 19th, 2013, 02:29 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Them all being Mono-typed and them all being based on Special type is the same thing as far as patterns and traditions go. So if you are saying that it can be broken with the next one not being a special type then you are saying it can be broken with a dual type since its the same arguement.

Them all being Mono typed is just as much a speculative coincidence as all of them being based on Special types. So they either both ruin the pattern or neither do. History agrees with that as well.
You've misunderstood what I was saying.

My point there was that, as far as eeveelutions are concerned, there are worse things than them breaking this unofficial 'pattern' of them all being special based(which has since been broken itself, so doesn't really apply 100% anyways).

All eeveelutions ending up being mono type is much more of a given than it is a pattern, although, since we only have almost half types covered, I'm not going to say it is definite. Having a dual-type eeveelution when it's looking inevitable that in the end each should represent a sole type...that would be ruining what is seemingly their purpose. It's not about whether it has the same opportunity of being broken, it's that that would be a much, much bigger shock than ruining the whole physical/special deal(which doesn't even really apply anymore with the split).

Exactly what harm is being accomplished by letting a physical type take priority over a special type though? Nothing, as they would all end up getting made eventually anyway, hopefully. There isn't any sort of real negativity that would come if that ends up becoming true.

Old April 19th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Spoiler:
" So I had this idea that Sylveon might be based on a Poison Ivy, so I was looked up Poison Ivies on wikipedia, and to my surprise, there is a specie of Poison Ivy called Oxicodendron Sylvestre or Rhus Sylvestris. It grows in China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. So it's not only a local Japanese poison ivy, it also has Sylve in it's name. Thoughts?"

This is actually an interesting theory! Unfortunately though (at least, to me), Sylveon doesn't really look like your typical poison type, y'know? :( I guess it doesn't really (at least, physically speaking here) have any features on it's body that scream "poison" or that it could have any capabilities of poisoning anything.
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
Quote:
Spoiler:
Wow, that is really cool! I didn't even consider that it could be a Poison type- it doesn't seem like anyone has really considered it.

@Twilight Sky- I agree that it doesn't really look like Poison type. I feel like it would be purple or something if it was a Poison type. Although, it does have the butterflies on it and a lot of Bug pokemon are part Poison.
Old April 19th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
I dunno. Pink seems like a Poison kind of colour, too, since a lot of purples are blended with it. Might also explain the fangs you can see in some instances and pictures.

I still think it's Flying, though. A Flying Special Attacker would be cool ^^

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Rai
Misao <3

That is true, it is kind of purplish. And it does have some purple on it.

I found this picture. I think it is fan made, but either way it is a really cool concept in my opinion.

Spoiler:
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:55 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!

@Yusshin That's one of the things I love about Togekiss.

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
That blue eeveelution is cute lol

Meanwhile, those fake orb things that look like pacifiers... Their effects would definitely help with breeding, but it might make it too easy for more-female or more-male ratio'd Pokemon to be super-bred with specific moves, natures, etc.

Ah, well.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Spoiler:

And another reason why Sylveon could be Dragon type is because of the Astral background during the trailer. Looks alot like Iris's battle background in B2/W2
I made a comment about that rumor on pokejungle either last week or earlier this week. Basically its not accurate. They use the wrong name to try and associate type. While its well done, since they use the US/UK name its inaccurate.

Quote:
You've misunderstood what I was saying.

My point there was that, as far as eeveelutions are concerned, there are worse things than them breaking this unofficial 'pattern' of them all being special based(which has since been broken itself, so doesn't really apply 100% anyways).

All eeveelutions ending up being mono type is much more of a given than it is a pattern, although, since we only have almost half types covered, I'm not going to say it is definite. Having a dual-type eeveelution when it's looking inevitable that in the end each should represent a sole type...that would be ruining what is seemingly their purpose. It's not about whether it has the same opportunity of being broken, it's that that would be a much, much bigger shock than ruining the whole physical/special deal(which doesn't even really apply anymore with the split).

Exactly what harm is being accomplished by letting a physical type take priority over a special type though? Nothing, as they would all end up getting made eventually anyway, hopefully. There isn't any sort of real negativity that would come if that ends up becoming true.
I think you misunderstand your own post. No the special type pattern hasn't been broken. All 7 eevee evolutions are special typed just as they've always been mono typed. Its the same argument. They've been special typed just as they've been mono typed. While there is no possible damage done with them not following it, there's no damage with making a dual typed evolution either. Both have roughly the same chance of happening. But eevee's evolutions being special typed is as true as them being mono typed.
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Community Supporter

I'm wondering if we'll even know the type by July...the anime didn't give very good hints, it just added to the confusion. I think we may need GF to tell us what it is...
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Bluerang1
pin pin

Nature: Relaxed
I'm starting to think that Slyveon might be Bug Type: It has big buggy eyes and is the lightest Eevee. The ribbons may act as an antenae for it. Itslogo on the Eevee and friends thing looks like a Butterfly. And the Egg in its logo could represent a coccoon, as some type of metamorphosis. One thing against this in that Bug has no relation to Electric as its across from Jolteon on that chart. As Eevee is a mammal, a Bug type Eevee won't look like a conventional Bug type so Slyveon fits in perfectly.
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Community Supporter

Maybe the types in chart lining up is a coincidence?
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Rai
Misao <3

I am starting to think it is a Flying type because of this picture from the newest Pokemon movie trailer. Look at the image behind it- it is shaped liked an egg which could be related to birds. Also, the design within the eggs look like wings.

So... yeah, I definitely think it is a Flying type now. Here is the trailer. They show Sylveon at the end.

Last edited by Rai; April 20th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links