The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 20th, 2013 (06:54 PM).
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Oh, I like the waitlist idea a whole lot better than the "must be a member for x amount of time/have x amount of posts" one. I feel like that method would be a whole lot organized and neater. I'd say a maximum of 10 per week, and then after the next week, another 10, and so on till the cycle eventually repeats itself. There's a first come first serve basis on that, true, but your turn will inevitably come. And if there really is a massive amount, we can always increase the number of threads to 15 or even 20 per week.

I really like this idea. And I like the screenie, Nick. :3
Old April 20th, 2013 (06:54 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Nick, do you feel that it would be better as a forum section entirely on it's own or perhaps a subform of NU/W (I am forever calling the Welcome Lounge this, idc lmao)? Just curious or whether or not it matters.
Old April 20th, 2013 (06:57 PM).
Dakota
ignore the whisper

I think Nick said that he wanted it as a stand alone forum, which technically isn't a terrible idea. I don't see why we can't implement it. Personally, I feel like it'd serve better as a subforum for CCP (not WL), but I can see why Nick would want it as a stand alone forum. More publicity and it kind of makes it more important, imo. Don't know if Nick sees it the same way as me, but that's just me!
Old April 20th, 2013 (06:58 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
Oh, I like the waitlist idea a whole lot better than the "must be a member for x amount of time/have x amount of posts" one. I feel like that method would be a whole lot organized and neater. I'd say a maximum of 10 per week, and then after the next week, another 10, and so on till the cycle eventually repeats itself. There's a first come first serve basis on that, true, but your turn will inevitably come. And if there really is a massive amount, we can always increase the number of threads to 15 or even 20 per week.

I really like this idea. And I like the screenie, Nick. :3
We can have a public waiting list and an expected release date per each thread. List all of the threads that were posted in the first post (remove them after they're approved) and put a date next to them for when the moderator is preparing to release them. That way, people know that a) their thread was received and b) there thread will be posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Nick, do you feel that it would be better as a forum section entirely on it's own or perhaps a subform of NU/W (I am forever calling the Welcome Lounge this, idc lmao)? Just curious or whether or not it matters.
I don't think that it would fair well as a subforum for NU/W, because I don't think that this forum is meant for new members. I'd rather it be a stand-alone forum, at least in the beginning and especially since we rebranded the off topic forums to each have an individual purpose. MIC's purpose doesn't really align with any of the off topic forums, I don't think. Maybe with CC&P, a little, but not enough to make it a sub-forum of it, I don't think.
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:02 PM).
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
The waitlist idea sounds really good imo.
A standalone forum? It could work. Good luck on this guys. If you need help, I'm there.
Edit : How are we going to deal with spammers? Especially the "romhacking" types.
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:07 PM).
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
We can have a public waiting list and an expected release date per each thread. List all of the threads that were posted in the first post (remove them after they're approved) and put a date next to them for when the moderator is preparing to release them. That way, people know that a) their thread was received and b) there thread will be posted.
Exactly! Should there be a cap to the waiting list, though? Like, maximum 50 or 100? I'd personally say no, cause that'd be unfair if a person who's late really wants to reserve a spot, a cap might just drag things out, but I want your opinion Nick. =D

Quote:
I don't think that it would fair well as a subforum for NU/W, because I don't think that this forum is meant for new members. I'd rather it be a stand-alone forum, at least in the beginning and especially since we rebranded the off topic forums to each have an individual purpose. MIC's purpose doesn't really align with any of the off topic forums, I don't think. Maybe with CC&P, a little, but not enough to make it a sub-forum of it, I don't think.
I can see the logic in that.
tigerBLADE
1000://PowHammers

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNathan View Post
A standalone forum? It could work. Good luck on this guys. If you need help, I'm there.
Edit : How are we going to deal with spammers? Especially the "romhacking" types.
Well, like said before, there can be mod approval before a thread can be created, so, they can just check off a spammy thread before it's officially created.

Plus the whole forum can be checked regularly be moderators.

*formerly known as Miss Doronjo* NES DiscussionOBJECTION!30 Days of Gaming
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

Quote:
The same way we deal with spammers elsewhere. Delete their posts and infract them, if need be. Personally, I don't see why people would spam this forum. Especially since I don't think I'd want to have post count enabled here. The purpose of the forum is strictly to learn more about the members who you see every day, not to increase your post count. Spamming is usually done to benefit the spammer, like in Trade Corner, spamming is done by most people because they want a Pokémon. In rom hacking, spamming is done because they want to know when something is going to be released. Spamming doesn't really happen in Forum Games, because nothing really comes to immediate benefit the spammer, and this forum isn't meant to benefit people replying to threads past "Oh I feel like I know more about you now!" "Oh, we have that in common!" and incentive to interact with a member and become friends.
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:18 PM).
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Postcount off is a so good idea. I have a non-interesting idea.
-What about a thread like the "New User of the Week/Month"? It would focus on getting to know new users more. Although, they do it in Welcome Lounge too
Just a random idea. Preparing for further brainstorming...
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:21 PM).
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Quote:
Postcount off is a so good idea. I have a non-interesting idea.
-What about a thread like the "New User of the Week/Month"? It would focus on getting to know new users more. Although, they do it in Welcome Lounge too
Just a random idea. Preparing for further brainstorming...
With the sheer number of members that join per day, I think that wouldn't be the best of ideas. It also kind of stays from what the topic is about. :x

If you were to suggest MIC thread of the week or something (member thread of the week, etc), it'd still be a bad idea. There's no reason to give one person out of however many we'd let per week get more attention than the others. It'd also unintentionally insinuate a popularity contest-like sort of scenario. Which would be bad.
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:25 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

I don't think it's fair to feature a member a week. Everyone is equal in the MIC.
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:29 PM).
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Btw how many people will be able to make a thread at once? And for how many time will the thread stay before another cycle?
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:36 PM). Edited April 20th, 2013 by Dakota.
Dakota
ignore the whisper

Nathan, read man. :c

Nothing's set in stone, obviously, but people have recommended a waiting list where new people's threads go up every week. I'm gonna guess the number of treads correlates with the number of people who sign up.
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:37 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

I think 10 is a good number for the beginning. 10 a week, and when a moderator notices a new thread, they'll check it out and add it to the waiting list if it's approved. Threads will stay indefinitely after they're approved, but we'd only approve 10 a week to make sure everyone gets a chance to have people ask them questions and nobody goes unnoticed.
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:46 PM).
Dakota
ignore the whisper

So, does all the positive support mean it'll be going up soon, or would hstaff still need time to ponder?

Excuse me if I seem hasty, I just genuinely think this is a brilliant idea that could become a staple of PC. =D
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:50 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

Needless to say, I'm going to be extremely disappointed (and bitter) if this doesn't happen because I'm really excited about it too! But it's still yet to go up in HQ and that's a necessity.
Old April 20th, 2013 (07:53 PM).
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
At first I wasn't all for the idea, but after all the posts, it seems like an excellent idea. I think the waiting list is probably gonna be best cause it would allow only a certain amount of user to sign up and prevents an overload of members creating their thread all at once. Would the moderator of the thread would approve of a thread based on how long they've been on the form/how many post they have or would it be open to everyone? I think any member should be able to use it cause it could be an opportunity to get to know someone new. I say at first the limit should be 10-15 members/threads per week and then as the forum gets bigger and more used, then it could be increased to 20-30.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old April 20th, 2013 (08:04 PM).
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Quote:
I think 10 is a good number for the beginning. 10 a week, and when a moderator notices a new thread, they'll check it out and add it to the waiting list if it's approved. Threads will stay indefinitely after they're approved, but we'd only approve 10 a week to make sure everyone gets a chance to have people ask them questions and nobody goes unnoticed.
Personally I'm not a fan of rate limiting the number of threads that are approved. I think it'd stifle the growth of the section way too early in it's life and make some members feel like it's too much trouble. I'd much rather there be an active thread as soon as the mod approves it to be honest, and if thread approvals HAVE TO be spaced out, then space it out over a shorter period like say, a day or two days, and temporarily pin the newly approved ones so that the activity down below doesn't have to override the limelight of the newly created ones. We could do something reasonable like 3-4 every other day or something, and there's more than enough S-mods and qualified mods to handle that even if the section is only granted one moderator or something at first. (So you'd only need to pick one existing mod, and a new mod for example)

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old April 20th, 2013 (08:07 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

I'm good with that too, Pachy. :cer_smile:
Old April 20th, 2013 (08:08 PM).
Dakota
ignore the whisper

I don't know, I feel like not spacing it would make things a lot more confusing and such. Your idea would make it so that threads constantly get posted in, and in the long run, "popular" members would have their threads alive whilst the others die off. With the 10 per week idea, we can prevent that. Perhaps we can increase the number to 20, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Edit: wait, no, something wasn't cleared up. With the original 10 threads per week, would the old threads get locked at the end of the week while the news ones are made?
Old April 20th, 2013 (08:10 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
I don't know, I feel like not spacing it would make things a lot more confusing and such. Your idea would make it so that threads constantly get posted in, and in the long run, "popular" members would have their threads alive whilst the others die off. With the 10 per week idea, we can prevent that. Perhaps we can increase the number to 20, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Edit: wait, no, something wasn't cleared up. With the original 10 threads per week, would the old threads get locked at the end of the week while the news ones are made?
Makes a lot of sense, though, as an argument. If we have people wait too long after they've done what they'd need to do, they'll lose interest.

ie: Pottermore
Old April 20th, 2013 (08:15 PM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerBLADE View Post
Well, like said before, there can be mod approval before a thread can be created, so, they can just check off a spammy thread before it's officially created.

Plus the whole forum can be checked regularly be moderators.
Heck, assign a moderator there and all is taken care of. As long as people report, that is.

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old April 20th, 2013 (08:17 PM). Edited April 20th, 2013 by droomph.
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Ideas.

So for the first week, you get stickied for that week. If you get banned or something, naturally you'll be unstickied.

Then, if you get enough recognition from the people around you (say, at least 20 posts?), then you get unstickied, because you'll do well enough without the special attention. And if you're just pouring with questions, you'll get unstickied as soon as that happens.

However, if people ignore you, you get an extra week or two to "integrate" yourself, and you stay up in the stickies for that time.

And then regardless, you are unstickied, and then it's just like any other thread in any other forum.

Or maybe, if you don't like having 15 stickied threads, then try using a prefix like [Newcomers!] so that they'll stand out.

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense, though, as an argument. If we have people wait too long after they've done what they'd need to do, they'll lose interest.

ie: Pottermore
Or maybe at midnight (or whatever time the mod is okay with) every day, every not-against-the-rules thread will be automatically approved and added with that sticky or prefix I was talking about, so that those people have the spotlight.

Thus we have the whole "CRAZY MESS" thing taken care of, and it wouldn't be that long of a wait for the members to be like "you know what? Screw this." Bam. Compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Heck, assign a moderator there and all is taken care of. As long as people report, that is.
I don't see this as much of a problem either way.

Old April 20th, 2013 (08:53 PM).
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
How about, just to bandwagon off of this, why not give such a location a test run? Get someone to plot out some rules, hire a temporary moderator to the section, and see how well it goes? If it doesn't go well, just remove it, and if the forum prospers for a given period of time - say a month - keep it going and permanently hire a moderator (and more if needed)?

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
Old April 20th, 2013 (08:57 PM).
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

That's what I would like to do.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links