• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Member interaction center

Honest

Hi!
Years
I don't know, I feel like not spacing it would make things a lot more confusing and such. Your idea would make it so that threads constantly get posted in, and in the long run, "popular" members would have their threads alive whilst the others die off. With the 10 per week idea, we can prevent that. Perhaps we can increase the number to 20, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Edit: wait, no, something wasn't cleared up. With the original 10 threads per week, would the old threads get locked at the end of the week while the news ones are made?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I don't know, I feel like not spacing it would make things a lot more confusing and such. Your idea would make it so that threads constantly get posted in, and in the long run, "popular" members would have their threads alive whilst the others die off. With the 10 per week idea, we can prevent that. Perhaps we can increase the number to 20, but I wouldn't go further than that.

Edit: wait, no, something wasn't cleared up. With the original 10 threads per week, would the old threads get locked at the end of the week while the news ones are made?
Makes a lot of sense, though, as an argument. If we have people wait too long after they've done what they'd need to do, they'll lose interest.

ie: Pottermore

droomph

weeb
Years
Ideas.

So for the first week, you get stickied for that week. If you get banned or something, naturally you'll be unstickied.

Then, if you get enough recognition from the people around you (say, at least 20 posts?), then you get unstickied, because you'll do well enough without the special attention. And if you're just pouring with questions, you'll get unstickied as soon as that happens.

However, if people ignore you, you get an extra week or two to "integrate" yourself, and you stay up in the stickies for that time.

And then regardless, you are unstickied, and then it's just like any other thread in any other forum.

Or maybe, if you don't like having 15 stickied threads, then try using a prefix like [Newcomers!] so that they'll stand out.

Makes a lot of sense, though, as an argument. If we have people wait too long after they've done what they'd need to do, they'll lose interest.

ie: Pottermore

Or maybe at midnight (or whatever time the mod is okay with) every day, every not-against-the-rules thread will be automatically approved and added with that sticky or prefix I was talking about, so that those people have the spotlight.

Thus we have the whole "CRAZY MESS" thing taken care of, and it wouldn't be that long of a wait for the members to be like "you know what? Screw this." Bam. Compromise.

Heck, assign a moderator there and all is taken care of. As long as people report, that is.

I don't see this as much of a problem either way.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
Years
Ideas.

So for the first week, you get stickied for that week. If you get banned or something, naturally you'll be unstickied.

Then, if you get enough recognition from the people around you (say, at least 20 posts?), then you get unstickied, because you'll do well enough without the special attention. And if you're just pouring with questions, you'll get unstickied as soon as that happens.

However, if people ignore you, you get an extra week or two to "integrate" yourself, and you stay up in the stickies for that time.

And then regardless, you are unstickied, and then it's just like any other thread in any other forum.

Or maybe, if you don't like having 15 stickied threads, then try using a prefix like [Newcomers!] so that they'll stand out.

Or maybe at midnight (or whatever time the mod is okay with) every day, every not-against-the-rules thread will be automatically approved and added with that sticky or prefix I was talking about, so that those people have the spotlight.

Thus we have the whole "CRAZY MESS" thing taken care of, and it wouldn't be that long of a wait for the members to be like "you know what? Screw this." Bam. Compromise.

I don't see this as much of a problem either way.

I like this idea. Perhaps let me simplify it a bit by suggesting that once your thread gets say, 5 or 10 questions and answers (10 or 20 replies basically), or in a week...whichever comes first, you get your thread unstuck. I'd love to run it this way theoretically if I were running it, along with approving 2 to 4 new threads every other day or so.

How about, just to bandwagon off of this, why not give such a location a test run? Get someone to plot out some rules, hire a temporary moderator to the section, and see how well it goes? If it doesn't go well, just remove it, and if the forum prospers for a given period of time - say a month - keep it going and permanently hire a moderator (and more if needed)?

I think that'd be great too, it'd be a good chance to test a member out for moderator suitability, and maybe give a deserving member a greater shot at being re-modded somewhere else later if the project fails? (god I hope it doesn't)

Cid

Years
I really like this idea. Lately I've been thinking of perhaps lifting the rule in the Welcome Lounge that forbids people from derailing a thread into an AMA / a conversation between the newbie and the greeters, but I know that that rule is there to allow people to branch out into other sections (and in some cases, to lessen post count fishing). Otherwise they'd be stuck in the Welcome Lounge, and as cool as the section is, there's a lot more of PC to check out than that one.

With a Member Interaction Center, it could serve that purpose way better than the Welcome Lounge would. You wouldn't have to worry about derailing the thread too much because it's meant to be an AMA and to spark conversations. That point being much more evident if post count is disabled. You also have the advantage of making it available for everyone, both new users and old users.

I didn't know what to think of it at first, but after reading the replies in this thread, it could really work well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
CNhVFnY.png

And now we wait...

Last edited by a moderator:

droomph

weeb
Years
So… since I'm not so experienced in dictatorship, how long would this take? Just curious
I'm thinking with the immense amount of support here, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

..And when you think about it, what could possibly go wrong in such a section as this?

Except for the trolls but we all know that can't be helped

Honest

Hi!
Years
With the ideas of including a waitlist and a steady flow of threads, I think we could successfully moderate it. We're limiting what happens, but not so much to the point where it destroys the purpose of the MIC. I feel like it'll work.

Also... lol @ HQ description.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
To be honest, I'm still a bit weary of the idea because I feel that it's strange that discussion-like subsections such as tabletop games were taken out.. in favour of something member-centric..

Maybe I'm just an old fogey who remembers the old DCC just being a grand "hey lets put on a topic where everyone contributes and we learn more about each other" and memberclubs being an ego-stroke then so I just feel that there are other alternatives to making a whole section dedicated to it unless it's somewhere like Other Trivia's subsection where posts wont matter so it wont be like a giant competition of people saying to others "POST IN MY THREAD GOGOGOGO GO!!"

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
I would think there could be a rule there that prevents people from hijacking other's AMA threads? So posts that say "go post in my thread plz" would be not allowed.I can see that it would probably have to be heavily moderated to not turn into that, though I still think the idea of an AMA section is great overall.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
@Shiny Celebi
That could MAYBE count as spam. It depends on HStaff though, I hope they accept it as it sounds like a very nice idea.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I would think there could be a rule there that prevents people from hijacking other's AMA threads? So posts that say "go post in my thread plz" would be not allowed.I can see that it would probably have to be heavily moderated to not turn into that, though I still think the idea of an AMA section is great overall.

I could see it more on VMs, IRC, Battle Server, MSN, blogs, DCC, etc.. places like that, not directly in the section.. but people who will bring it up anyways just because they want their thread bumped for the heck of it.

Either way, we could always try it out and then shut it down if it's not working out, but my point still stands that I dislike how discussion based Subsections have been taken out in favor of something member-centric.

Another solution instead of a whole subsection would be something like the picture thread had: One thread for questions, another thread for answers. This would be put in other trivia to prevent people from spamming the first thread with too many questions over and over again in new posts. Hear me out here.
There are 2 threads, the question thread, and the answer thread. The first thread is sorta like the poll of the week. People contribute questions throughout, and at the end of every week, all of those questions get bolded/ added/ replaced onto the first posts of both threads (or maybe only the answer thread; it's up to the mod.)
Then in the second thread, people sorta do what they do in OVP threads, where they copy/paste those questions they want to answer that week, in a post, and answer them below in bolded text. You know.. like
Example:
what is your favourite food?
I really love pasta!

(or vice versa with the bolding)

That way, people can still contribute questions to the first thread continuously, and the answers don't get jumbled in with the answers thread. People have a week to answer the questions they want to answer, everyone can participate, and no one gets looked over.
After all, people might be uncomfortable answering a question directly asked to them but might feel that they have to or they'd be ignoring the other person. This is a great solution for it!!

Maybe we can also help keep it uncluttered by saying that each person can only ask one question per week so we dont get a flood of possible questions, too.

How does that sound for an alternative?

droomph

weeb
Years
I could see it more on VMs, IRC, Battle Server, MSN, blogs, DCC, etc.. places like that, not directly in the section.. but people who will bring it up anyways just because they want their thread bumped for the heck of it.

Either way, we could always try it out and then shut it down if it's not working out, but my point still stands that I dislike how discussion based Subsections have been taken out in favor of something member-centric.

Another solution instead of a whole subsection would be something like the picture thread had: One thread for questions, another thread for answers. This would be put in other trivia to prevent people from spamming the first thread with too many questions over and over again in new posts. Hear me out here.
There are 2 threads, the question thread, and the answer thread. The first thread is sorta like the poll of the week. People contribute questions throughout, and at the end of every week, all of those questions get bolded/ added/ replaced onto the first posts of both threads (or maybe only the answer thread; it's up to the mod.)
Then in the second thread, people sorta do what they do in OVP threads, where they copy/paste those questions they want to answer that week, in a post, and answer them below in bolded text. You know.. like
Example:
what is your favourite food?
I really love pasta!

(or vice versa with the bolding)

That way, people can still contribute questions to the first thread continuously, and the answers don't get jumbled in with the answers thread. People have a week to answer the questions they want to answer, everyone can participate, and no one gets looked over.
After all, people might be uncomfortable answering a question directly asked to them but might feel that they have to or they'd be ignoring the other person. This is a great solution for it!!

Maybe we can also help keep it uncluttered by saying that each person can only ask one question per week so we dont get a flood of possible questions, too.

How does that sound for an alternative?
Well, looking at Reddit AMA:

Spoiler:

now, I'm not saying GO COPY THEM (in fact, the opposite), but we can take a few pointers from them. For example, the reply format should be default here over the linear format. And then…

…anything else?

Okay, I admit that it wasn't a good solution, but I would think without it, it would go something like the celebrations thread, which isn't that bad actually.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
So… since I'm not so experienced in dictatorship, how long would this take? Just curious

Except for the trolls but we all know that can't be helped
Anywhere between 48 hours and the end of time. Hard to say. Depends on the reception, and ironing out details, and so on and so forth.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 14, 2024
Just wanted to let you guys know that majority voted in favor of testing it out with supporters, so pretty soon you'll have a new forum to spam contribute to. :)

Not that I'm not very happy about this, but I'm just curious as to why this is being tested out with supporters rather than the general public? Again, very satisfied this is coming into existence and what not.

droomph

weeb
Years
Not that I'm not very happy about this, but I'm just curious as to why this is being tested out with supporters rather than the general public? Again, very satisfied this is coming into existence and what not.

We're the test-group for PokéCommunity Inc., kinda like how KFC tests their new products in Missouri or something to see whether people will like it.

Years
I'm glad it's finally going to be implemented, and I'm lucky me and my fellow Supporters get to be among the first to trial it!

Back