The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Nostalgia or the New Stuff?
Nostalgia 15 27.78%
Newer Stuff 7 12.96%
I Like Both 28 51.85%
I Really Don't Care, I Just Play Pokemon in General 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 10th, 2013, 12:23 PM
H.Vega
Johto Wanderer...

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
I've been thinking, and it's not like I prefer one or the other, but I'd like to see what you guys think. Do you like the nostalgic pokemon, like in your childhood, or the newer stuff, and would you like seeing nostalgic references/features in X/Y or any future pokemon game?
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:56 PM
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
Both, actually. The Nostalgic stuff is really special to me and reminds me of how great of a childhood I've had. The newer stuff, in some aspects, have served to exponentially improve on what we all know and love and I'm real appreciative of that fact.

Old April 10th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I like both....but I prefer new stuff.

I've been playing these games since Pokemon Yellow (and after I played Pokemon Red/Blue) but I would rather go forward with the series and occasionally look back.

All the nostalgia in the world can't convince me that the original pokemon games are better than being able to trade a pokemon with anyone in the world over wifi, having more detailed storylines and characters, having more to do after beating the elite four, having a wider variety of pokemon etc.
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I like both.

The old games and anime have a ton of nostalgia for me because I grew up with up. But also I really like a lot of the newer pokemon and games. I just love pokemon in general. :D

BUT Raichu will always be my favorite pokemon <3
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:31 PM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
I like both new and nostalgic stuff, but I think the new stuff are a bit better imo . I got into Pokemon through the gen I games so the old nostalgic stuff really brings back memories. But there is lots of problems and glitches with the older games and after a while the first games do get boring. I still love them anyways, they bring back so much good times of me first getting into Pokemon. I used to hate the newer gen IV and V Pokemon and was that type of person who only appreciated the older games. But as I began to play the games and I started to appreciate the games and the new Pokemon just grew on me. Now I have lots of favorites from the newer games, especially from Gen V. Gen V is now 2nd on my favorite generations list right after Gen III. There's some cool and really designs in Gen V in my opinions, and the gameplay has really improved since the beginning of the series. I just think people need to open their minds a bit more and appreciate something in all the games. Cause I can find something good in all of them.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]

Last edited by AWsquared; April 16th, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
Although I prefer the newer stuff (Unova fan myself), I do at times find myself watching Pokemon from all the different generations, I love all the generations equally. I mentioned it before in other topics, I have been watching Pokemon since it started in the USA around 1998. I have not missed out on any generation at least for the Anime, since I didn't play the games until 2004.

I love the newer stuff (most of my favorite Pokemon and anime episodes are from Unova), and still love looking back at the old stuff too...

so my vote goes to "I like both", loving all equally.
Watchog's #1 Fan!! -
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!

my 3DS XL FC is full - My 3DS Flame Red still needs friends - 3325-3310-5332 -
Normal Safari - Lilipup, Loudred, ??? - send me a quick message if you want to be added
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:00 AM
coolcatkim22
Route 35, there I am.

Nature: Brave
That word you keep using. I don't think it means what you think it means.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - The Dungeon Master/Ragewar
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:13 PM
H.Vega
Johto Wanderer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
That word you keep using. I don't think it means what you think it means.
What do you mean, and are you talking to me?
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM
R.F.
totally human

I like both types of games. It's mostly depending on my mood. If i'd like to play older Pokemon games, I play them, in most parts because of their simplicity in technics (and glitches xD) and graphics. If I'd like to play newer games, it's mostly because they have a more wide variaty of Pokemon, advanced technics (natures of Pokemon, elements split by attack and special attack,...) and stuff.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:35 PM
coolcatkim22
Route 35, there I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Vega View Post
What do you mean, and are you talking to me?
Nostalgia. I don't think you know what that means.
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:20 PM
H.Vega
Johto Wanderer...

nostalgia |näˈstaljə; nə-|
noun
a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations : I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college.
• the evocation of these feelings or tendencies, esp. in commercialized form : an evening of TV nostalgia.

I think I have a pretty good idea. I would like this thread to stay on track, please.
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:40 PM
coolcatkim22
Route 35, there I am.

But older Pokemon aren't Nostalgic to everybody. Heck, to some people they don't have any nostalgic Pokemon because they're still kids.

Also, what generation does nostalgic go under? Because for me third generation is nostalgic but to a lot of other people it's not.

And it's not really a matter of which you like better older or newer because they're were a good deal of old things I liked and disliked, same goes for the new things.

When you simplify something this much and use a word which could be applied to different Pokemon for each different person, you can't ever get a clear idea of what individual's taste are or the general consensus is.
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:08 PM
H.Vega
Johto Wanderer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
But older Pokemon aren't Nostalgic to everybody. Heck, to some people they don't have any nostalgic Pokemon because they're still kids.

Also, what generation does nostalgic go under? Because for me third generation is nostalgic but to a lot of other people it's not.

And it's not really a matter of which you like better older or newer because they're were a good deal of old things I liked and disliked, same goes for the new things.

When you simplify something this much and use a word which could be applied to different Pokemon for each different person, you can't ever get a clear idea of what individual's taste are or the general consensus is.
The word itself can mean a variety of things, depending on the reader. Honestly, I just wanted to get some opinions without getting my head bitten off. Is that really too much to ask?

Your's, my, and the other guy's definition are all different. I just wanted to hear some people out. Besides, newer fans don't have nostalgia because they haven't played enough. Anything gen III and below is typically nostalgia.

You may not know, but this is a touchy subject in the fandom. I REALLY don't want this to become a genwar. Do you want that?
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:52 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I go for the newer stuff mainly to keep up with the franchise as a whole, but I go back to the past mainly because of the music.

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:54 PM
KnightFerrocous
Unhatched Egg

I'm going be special and choose the nostalgic Pokemon. My favorite Gen was 3rd and I still replay Emerald and LeafGreen quite often. SoulSilver was the last Pokemon game I rushed out to the midnight release to get. When I played Pearl I just didn't get the same enjoyment that I did when I play through the older Gens and I never had, and still don't have, the urge to play 5th Gen at all much to the rage of other Pokemon fans around me.

I like the older Gens better mainly because of their simplicity and that they weren't over packed with Pokemon. Yes there are things I like about every Gen but Gen 3 will always be my favorite.
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I like both Nostalgic and newer games, even though my favorite game is a third gen game all the game have their good and bad points in them. I like both because their stories/pokemon in them. The reason I go back to old games is because I want to play the story again.

so yeah both for me please.
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Unhatched Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to #18
I like both, I lean towards nostalgia a bit more since I started playing at R/G/B/Y where it all began but I'm interested to see what X & Y will be like.

❤ 18
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Veteran, Oracle, Harbinger

Nature: Quiet
I used to like the newer stuff growing up but now I prefer nostalgia a lot more since the older games simply feel more refined and creative imho.

Hmph, have you begun to understand pain?
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:00 PM
H.Vega
Johto Wanderer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
I go for the newer stuff mainly to keep up with the franchise as a whole, but I go back to the past mainly because of the music.
Very admirable. You and I are like that in a way
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Nottingham
We are on the cruise!

Nature: Relaxed
I also like both a lot! If I had to pick one, I guess I'd go with the newer games since there's a lot more stuff to do post-game.
That, and they don't rely on internal clocks.
It was a sad, hollow day when I replayed my Sapphire to find that my berry farms could no longer be tended to...

~SamuShinoda~
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:58 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Nostalgia for the fact on how much Pokemon meant to me as a kid and how it impacted my life. Good memories playing games revolving around Pokemon with my childhood friends.

Newer stuffs for the fact that they made something we the Pokefans love and they upgraded them to make them much better than when they were just made.

I want to say both, because they both have did great stuffs for me, especially during my childhood.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:42 AM
Warship
異議あり!

both i liked,like and will like pokemon in all generations. new stuff are cool in the way that it prevents me from running out of things to do in pokemon so i wont get bored while nostalgia holds a special place in my heart as if it werent for them i wouldnt have taken up pokemon in the first place
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:49 AM
Bang
Unhatched Egg

The nostalgia is special for me, but the new stuff makes a "new wind"... I think that :3
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

I'd definitely say both.
The old games were awesome & not because of nostalgia as I've only started playing Pokemon a year ago, the new ones are more rich in features (& Pokemon) so that makes them cool yet more complicated than the old ones, especially when evolving old Pokemon to new evolutions made recently.
When speaking of the Anime I've had my fair share of nostalgia and looking forward to see new stuff and desperately hoping for Ash to mature however I don't want the Anime to completely ditch all the old Pokemon because it's good to have a look-back every once in a while.

MORAL: Every era was unique in its own way, along with its pros and cons, & that's what I like about Pokemon, variation.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:29 PM
zdude18
Lone Wolf

Nature: Relaxed
the originals will always have a special place in my heart, but the newer games are really good as well, especially with the length and gameplay aspects. so ill say both because each generation has its quirks.
White 2: 3397 3474 0556
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here