The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 5th, 2012, 05:07 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill

Advertise here
So I suppose that is the meaning behind your latest blog.

At any rate; no, infractions are not reversed just because you may leave PC or don't want to get banned (which only happens if you break more rules on top of that, so). You can contest the infraction if you don't think you used someone else's images or whatnot without permission, but not because of that reason.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
The BBS Forums!
Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!
Home of Wynaut? Webzine; looking for contributors!
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Wobbachomp
Donator Tier 1

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Guys, I just got a 4 point infraction for content theft after I used an avatar/signature that was similar to one that Leaf Storm used and I don't want to get banned again.

Can you help me reverse this infraction cos I'm considering quitting PC for good.
You got infracted for using an avatar that was similar to someone else's? I am sorry but I say that's ********.
Old October 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
So she should bring it up for that reason in some more detail (say via PM to myself or another higher staff, or the one who infracted and give one more of an idea of what the two avatars/signatures looked like in the first place in the case of asking someone else) and bring up said reasons if that is the case, rather than say 'I might leave PC forever'. That's not a reason to overturn any infraction.

The BBS Forums!

Last edited by bobandbill; October 5th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:48 AM
shenanigans
boom boom boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbachomp View Post
You got infracted for using an avatar that was similar to someone else's? I am sorry but I say that's ********.
Actually, no. If someone creates the images and the layout used in a theme and someone else uses it without permission, then intended or not, that's content theft. However in this case we aren't 100% certain of the circumstances and we're looking further into it.

Last edited by shenanigans; October 6th, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old October 6th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Wobbachomp
Donator Tier 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
Actually, no. If someone creates the images and the layout used in a theme and someone else uses it without permission, then intended or not, that's content theft. However in this case we aren't 100% certain of the circumstances and we're looking further into it.
Oh I thought she got infracted just for using a Gangnam Style avatar.
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
If the image is from another source and not created from scratch, then the original owner should also be infracted as they stole the content to make the gif or avatar image. So anyone using say Marlon's VS sprite like the Seven members during B2W2's Japanese release (who all had the same signatures as well.) should have been infracted. I'd have to be for editing a sprite made by nintendo. If your Gif. is from a TV show or taken from any other source that isn't you doing that dance, you technically stole content that wasn't yours to use for your own personal use.

Bobandbill stole the Wes dance sprite if its from Earthbound/Mother or who ever created it, if he didn't make it himself.

Everyone using official music video gifs of Gangnam Style stole content from the video.

By copyright laws and regulations we are all stealing if we don't make every last detail from scratch.

Theft should ONLY be considered if there is actual theft and not when two people have identical or the same Avatar/Signature

Which this honestly does look like. Especially since when this was done to Hikari nothing was done to the person "stealing" from her.

Last edited by Khrysta; October 6th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Wobbachomp
Donator Tier 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
If the image is from another source and not created from scratch, then the original owner should also be infracted as they stole the content to make the gif or avatar image. So anyone using say Marlon's VS sprite like the Seven members during B2W2's Japanese release (who all had the same signatures as well.) should have been infracted. I'd have to be for editing a sprite made by nintendo. If your Gif. is from a TV show or taken from any other source that isn't you doing that dance, you technically stole content that wasn't yours to use for your own personal use.

Bobandbill stole the Wes dance sprite if its from Earthbound/Mother or who ever created it, if he didn't make it himself.

Everyone using official music video gifs of Gangnam Style stole content from the video.

By copyright laws and regulations we are all stealing if we don't make every last detail from scratch.

Theft should ONLY be considered if there is actual theft and not when two people have identical or the same Avatar/Signature

Which this honestly does look like. Especially since when this was done to Hikari nothing was done to the person "stealing" from her.
This is the exact point I wanted to make, but you worded it much better than I would have. :/
Old October 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
So are you guys handing out infractions for people who have the same avatar as someone else now, or? Is this going to be a thing?
Old October 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
So are you guys handing out infractions for people who have the same avatar as someone else now, or? Is this going to be a thing?
I would have thought the obvious answer is that no, having the same avatar as someone else is not infractable, but using an avatar that is made by someone else (say it is a picture someone drew, for sake of an example) without giving credit/asking for permission is against the rules (content theft).

Anyways, the case is still being looked at. Don't think there's a need on a public commentary here on this case on it given it only involves Hikari, so let's drop that please.

The BBS Forums!
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Guys, I just got a 4 point infraction for content theft after I used an avatar/signature that was similar to one that Leaf Storm used and I don't want to get banned again.

Can you help me reverse this infraction cos I'm considering quitting PC for good.
Did you know that I acted very much like you did when I got my first ever infraction for copy and paste welcomes back in 2008. And hey... I now admit that I did the wrong thing. And often when it's our first time... we often would overreact, it's only a learning curve for us. 'Cause when we do get infracted... it's something we just something we have to learn about, after all... no one's perfect.

And like pretty much everyone has already said, there's no way for the staff to reverse your infraction unless the avatar was proven to be not used by someone else. At least we're learning to be careful when using other people's avatars, 'cause anyone has the right to complain about their content being used.

I do have to admit though, I do wish that people could share their stuff rather than have control over it.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Thomas Wiencek

My apology, but I can't believe that they should never use such bad language, such as the slang term "sucks", which sometimes don't put them in infraction of their rules.
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Wiencek View Post
My apology, but I can't believe that they should never use such bad language, such as the slang term "sucks", which sometimes don't put them in infraction of their rules.
....What are you even referring to? o_O
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
Quote:
...I'm sorry, what? What are you trying to say? If you got in trouble for saying the word "sucks" then I don't see why that was a big deal. Surely it was something else? I don't really understand what you're trying to ask though.
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Sweet Smoochum
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Bashful
Can my account be deleted please? I like the infraction system, and I want to know why I was really infracted, becauise I want'ed to know before I get banned permanently with this username for going off t-oicp when the computer's shutting down, and I acceidentally click send without chercking who did what with my profile. I 'm undcertain that the point cogt across, no hallucinations, upon me. I'm on meds, now.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
If I had seven yellow cards and three red cards, would I be suspended due to this:

Quote:
Earning 18 points or more or at least 10 infractions, whether expired or not will result in a three month suspension.
Or do you physically need ten red cards to provoke this?

Also, say you're on PC for five years and you rack up ten 2pts infractions for double-posting or "spamming." Is that user permanently banned regardless how spaced out these infractions were (under the following)?

Quote:
You will be banned permanently if you accumulate 20 points or more.
Just wondering if time and the actual "badness" of the infractions is taken into account. I'd say a person who in five years is receives infractions for double-posting should be allowed leniency compared to a user who's around for three years and receives ~20 points for posting illegal content, content theft with a few double-posts tossed in there. Especially if typically the former person's posts are informative, helpful and they had no intention of actually doing any harm.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:45 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I'm pretty sure you'd need the full 10 infractions (red) to provoke that 3-month ban. Generally staff tends to stop giving warnings [edit: and default to infractions] once someone's accumulated so many anyway, though, unless it's over a very long time in which case...

The system automatically bans you after 20 points but if it were over a really long time, you could probably appeal it and the hstaff would look over your case to see if you deserve a second chance. Usually if it's at that point, though, the person should really know better, but if they're usually a really good member and they've just slipped up enough times over many years, it's not unheard of for leniency to be shown. Generally by that time they should just know better though.

(Points are only given out if there's an actual infraction applied and after so many years and enough warnings/infractions, there's really no reason someone shouldn't know the rules or shouldn't know to be careful of what they say/do if they're prone to controversial posts.)

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Last edited by Cherrim; April 22nd, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:51 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Thanks for the clarification, Lightning. I'm not personally at risk for it imo, but I was curious about how it works in general.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Bestintheworld
Capo de tutti capo

Nature: Naughty
So is cussing worthy of an infraction or not? Because I'm upset that I was infracted for asking someone I thought was trolling if they were spewing diearhia and got an infraction yet I see mods cussing and I have a problem with that. If cussing is acceptable ok, but for me to be infracted over someone so sensitive and trivial is mind bogging if cussing is ok...
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:50 AM
Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestintheworld View Post
So is cussing worthy of an infraction or not? Because I'm upset that I was infracted for asking someone I thought was trolling if they were spewing diearhia and got an infraction yet I see mods cussing and I have a problem with that. If cussing is acceptable ok, but for me to be infracted over someone so sensitive and trivial is mind bogging if cussing is ok...
You were infracted for 'disrespect', not swearing. Swearing is only an offense on this site if you avoid the auto-censoring (****) or if you direct your swearing at a person in an aggressive or offensive manner.

This has already been explained to you.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Bestintheworld
Capo de tutti capo

Ok so asking a question without profanity in a mature way is infraction worthy. Got it, wait no I don't.

I think it's ****ing stupid that I was infracted and fail to see how I was more impolite than someone coming in my thread using immature language,

Buy once again your welcome for breathing life into a dying thread.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Tsutarja

Instead of coming into this thread and constantly complaining about your infraction, have you tried negotiating over private message with the staff member that infracted you instead of bringing the issue to the public?
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

If you can't see why you got infracted (and why it was considered disrespectful), then that's a serious problem. I suspect even the most lenient moderators would have infracted you if they saw that because I certainly would have.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Bestintheworld
Capo de tutti capo

I can't understand this community and the fine line between being polite and asking a question. Surely evryone here is that sensitive and someone out there has to agree that what I did does not warrant an infraction.

Yeah I tried talkingn to the mod who infracted me but that's pointless his mind is made.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

If you truly disagree with the infraction, forward it to the attention of a higher staff member via PM. They'll discuss it and determine what to do with it in HQ. Just state that you'd like it to be reviewed. But considering the way you reacted, I'm inclined to believe that they won't reverse it.
I don't even know what an otaku is.
I watch one anime a year.
I've never read manga.
I don't play many video games.
I just have a Japanese sounding username.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Bestintheworld
Capo de tutti capo

How I reacted? How have I reacted I haven't cursed at anybody or yelled. I'm obviously displeased yes. But all I've been doing is asking questions and trying to discuss it so I can understand. That doesn't break any rules to my knowledge. And you might be the bigger reason I'm infracted. People like you who accept things the way they are and don't stand up for yourself. That's wrong, I'm not wrong trying to defend myself and when 20 different ppl are weighing in all basically doing what ur doing or opposing me it's an unequal fight and of course I'm going to look like a bad guy. But I'm not I'm asking questions my parents taught me to defend myself and that's all I'm doing. Professionally and maturely if you can't see that your not comprehending my comments correctly.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here