The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
....And then what?

For as long as we've played the Pokemon games, this has pretty much been the central core and basis of all of them. Throw in evil teams as needed, and that completes the circle, essentially. But what if we wanted more out of our Pokemon games? It sure doesn't hurt to at least hope for a bit more substance, right?

Of course, what I'm talking about here is Game Length, mixed in with a bit of sidequests, if you will (though I feel that falls under the Game Length umbrella). Are you guys currently satisfied with the current length of the games, or do you feel that a bit more substance could be added to it, like potential sidequests and the like, or going on a separate, different journey of some sort? Discuss it all here~!
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I'd love to see the story continue after the E4 and Champion get dropped, but then it would beg the question of why a stronger opponent than the Champion didn't just dethrone the Champion in the first place. It's like battling the Champion MUST end the story.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Hoenn
» Just a cat and mouse game
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Yeah, because once you defeat the E4 for me it's a matter of exploring the newly available areas with no real purpose. It would be great to extend the storyline beyond the Elite Four as they did in GSC by throwing in another region, maybe not that per se but something involving the Evil Team would be nice.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I think I made the other thread on this before it died! So basically I still feel the same way. The biggest thing I want is a longer and more expansive game. Maybe not everything has to be required, but for those who explore everywhere and want some more immersion, a larger amount of side quests would be amazing.

On top of that, I'd also just love to see a more expansive storyline too. It's pretty much gym → stop evil team → more gyms → defeat them at their mini-base → gym → grand finale → last gym. I'd love to see the evil team weaved into the storyline more, and have a more lasting impact on the region. Nothing is going to change instantaneously, so maybe have the lasting effects of the evil team still be present in the games.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:56 AM
Cassiopeiia
Floating

Nature: Bashful
I would love to see them shifting some of the focus away from the inaugural "I am to be a Pokémon Champion"-theme. Any excuse for a story would work, it would probably be a step in the right direction as long as they keep it light-hearted. Searching for your older brother or sister who left for adventure some two years ago, whatever.

There should also be more optional side- quests and stories blended into the game to make for more freedom and immersion. Cute things like helping an old woman find her lost Purrloin, or scary things like exorcising pesky Ghost Pokémon from a haunted mansion! :3

Anyway, I feel there's a lot they could do in order to make for a richer, more diverse and more immersive experience, without detracting from the staple objective of becoming a champion and beating others Pokémon into pulps. Pokémon has so much potential!
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Personally, I definitely feel that the story could use a lot less linearity! Like...why not go on a separate journey altogether or something? Like...say, you have a certain choice of what you want to be, right? If you want to be a coordinator, then you would go the direction of Contests, and then attempt to beat the best coordinators out there! I feel that the decision should really lie in the hands of the trainers of whether they want to be Pokemon Masters or something else.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
What would i like to add is the pokemon league tournament just like in anime before we can battle the elite 4 and then champion. And i would like some mini tournaments like the battle club tour. Also, i would like to add some rivals like paul, tobias which never came across the game in gen 4, or trip/georgia/stefan/virgil etc, in gen 5. What i basically think is the games should follow anime in some way.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham2207 View Post
What would i like to add is the pokemon league tournament just like in anime before we can battle the elite 4 and then champion. And i would like some mini tournaments like the battle club tour. Also, i would like to add some rivals like paul, tobias which never came across the game in gen 4, or trip/georgia/stefan/virgil etc, in gen 5. What i basically think is the games should follow anime in some way.
This would be a rather interesting turn (to have the games follow the anime), but I don't know, I always felt that there was some elements to the anime that should remain anime-exclusive, along with the games. I wouldn't mind if it if you had partners to travel along with you on your journey and whatnot like the anime, but yeah, I wouldn't want it to mirror every single thing the anime does, really.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

It would actually be cool. You have to win the tournament and earn the right to challenge the E4 and Champion. You can then do so at your leisure, and the levels get lowered to 50 like in the tournaments for the full party.

Of course, lowering the levels to 50 for the E4 would be something else that causes cries of foul and might bring the suggestion to allow healing after each battle, but it's an idea.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
AnonygooseD
Lametrainer

Nature: Jolly
I agree totally on that there should be more side quests, and the "Team" should be smart and actually badass enough to do something really evil.
I was also thinking about the E4, after beating the champion you become the champion BUT now you have duties as a certified Pokemon master, like helping the "police" save the region from Team ___, or go on a breeding project to prevent extinction of some species, or maybe become a Pokemon Professor! (I would really love that).
The games should also lose the "kiddy" profile, kids nowadays are playing COD so the Pokemon games should really become less childish and more based on the "adventure" itself not just training your Pokemon to be at a higher level than the gym leaders/team grunts/E4...etc.
What do you guys think?
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Well Black and White sorta started doing stuff like that post game. (Finding the 7 Sages, exploring the entire other half of the region) It even threw a wrench into the mix by not allowing you to challenge the Champion on your first run through of the Elite 4. I guess I was never really bothered by the game length though, and I wouldn't be suprised if Gen VI goes further with the suprises.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
What would i like to add is the pokemon league tournament just like in anime before we can battle the elite 4 and then champion.
I'm behind something like this. It would give it more of that 'you're finally in the big leagues' feeling.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonygooseD View Post
I agree totally on that there should be more side quests, and the "Team" should be smart and actually badass enough to do something really evil.
I was also thinking about the E4, after beating the champion you become the champion BUT now you have duties as a certified Pokemon master, like helping the "police" save the region from Team ___, or go on a breeding project to prevent extinction of some species, or maybe become a Pokemon Professor! (I would really love that).
The games should also lose the "kiddy" profile, kids nowadays are playing COD so the Pokemon games should really become less childish and more based on the "adventure" itself not just training your Pokemon to be at a higher level than the gym leaders/team grunts/E4...etc.
What do you guys think?
I'd love something like this, too! Attempting and help the local police catch the bad guys and stuff would definitely help liven things up a bit in the games, and being your professor's aide for a while, things like this would definitely, of course, take the focus off "being a pokemon champion" thing, but it's a good thing nonetheless, and would give players the perspective of what it would be like to be a professor/helping the police of x town, etc.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:46 AM
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
Police work would be bit boring. It would feel like we r playing cod, not pkmn...
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:35 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Police work would be bit boring. It would feel like we r playing cod, not pkmn...
Then perhaps there could be sidequest where you could help out Nurse Joy in healing Pokemon? There are just so many infinite possibilities and sidejobs that one could think of that helping out the local law enforcement is really just one choice out of many; people don't really have to do it if they don't want to.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:28 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

It would remind me of those games that have all the sidequests you can skip, but you can go back and do them anytime. Interesting.

Cyclone

Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:56 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

And that would basically be what it is, really! And I feel that should be the ultimate fun in Pokemon: Doing whatever you can to help others in whatever situation possible. Even if it means participating in contests with a certain coordinator to help you out (if you're more into contests), and things of that nature. :3 It shouldn't just be as linear as whats stated in this thread title, but it should branch off towards different things~
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I always thought that the Battle Frontier in Emerald and Platinum were really good additions for post-story gameplay. They focus on battling, which the player should be more than adept with at that point having beaten the Elite Four, and it gives you the opportunity to collect the symbols or whatever they're called.

Platinum's Frontier was perfect. They offered online multiplayer so you could partner up with a friend and take on the different areas together. It was really fun, but they took that feature out in BW's Subway, which sucks. :\
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:09 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzaleaLightning View Post
I always thought that the Battle Frontier in Emerald and Platinum were really good additions for post-story gameplay. They focus on battling, which the player should be more than adept with at that point having beaten the Elite Four, and it gives you the opportunity to collect the symbols or whatever they're called.

Platinum's Frontier was perfect. They offered online multiplayer so you could partner up with a friend and take on the different areas together. It was really fun, but they took that feature out in BW's Subway, which sucks. :\
That being said, the perfect battle frontier would be Emerald with Platinum's features. Aka Emerald's Battle Frontier with Online Multiplayer, and I think that would be the best battle frontier to exist. @__@
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
FrostPheonix
Eternity.

Nature: Quiet
tbh, I don't think they should extend the main story line too much after the E4. Part of the Pokemon games' usual thing is to have you go beat the champion. The whole point was to train your pokemon to become the strongest. I mean, if they decided that you get a new goal, you might as well scrap the whole E4, why bother challenging them if you didn't even want to become the strongest? A game with a completely new story line would be cool, and I'd definitely like it, but we already know there are gyms in Pokemon X & Y. (Btw I also think this forum is starting to become a 'How could we improve pokemon games?' discussion forum, not really X and Y). Since there are gyms, there's an E4, which means your goal is to become the strongest. I just can't see them adding a new goal post E4, as the whole journey would have no point if they did that. The current method is fine, unless they radically redesigned the games. I would love lotsa new side quests though, considering that space is getting much easier to make compact and they could add lots of more stuff, and just give you random little things to do. Like, dunno, find a little girl's stolen pokemon for her, try solve a puzzle to get an item, a bit more of a challenge finding legends other than simply battling lotsa wild pokes, and so on. For X and Y, there just doesn't seem to be anything else upcoming other than the traditional format and maybe a few more sidequests.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I'd agree with that, but the main problem with that is...well, we've been doing the same thing for pretty much five generations, so why not change things up a bit? Of course, I'm not asking for the E4 to be scrapped or anything; that would still be there for those people who still enjoy the linear storyline. My perspective (and hopes, somewhat) are that the games branch out quite a bit, and hopefully you're able to do more things than just beating gyms and beating evil teams and whatnot.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:53 AM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I definitely agree with whoever was posting that Unova took it in the right direction with the Sages and the other half of the region. I'd just like them to continue in this right direction for the post game.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
GrayJM9
Playing White 2

Nature: Bold
I would love to have a choice to be good or evil. My dream was to join team plasma and that sure didn't happen...
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
I'd love something like this, too! Attempting and help the local police catch the bad guys and stuff would definitely help liven things up a bit in the games, and being your professor's aide for a while, things like this would definitely, of course, take the focus off "being a pokemon champion" thing, but it's a good thing nonetheless, and would give players the perspective of what it would be like to be a professor/helping the police of x town, etc.
I would be really into this as long as we gain more and more recognition/popularity as we accomplish the sidequests and duties.

Barely anyone has recognized you as champion so far(not even the Elite Four or previous champ, so it's almost as if you never won the title to begin with; seriously?), which has always felt weird because the champion should be one of the most noticeable people of a region.

The sidequests would obviously not be mandatory, but I would definitely consider doing some regularly if it means I can really stand out after some time.

Imagine, as you enter a town and start walking through it, you see people around who start talking to others and say things like "Omg...is that champion *fill in your name*..." or "Champion *name*, can I have your autograph?!" When you've gained enough popularity, maybe you might even experience crowds from time to time.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Payne View Post
I would be really into this as long as we gain more and more recognition/popularity as we accomplish the sidequests and duties.

Barely anyone has recognized you as champion so far(not even the Elite Four or previous champ, so it's almost as if you never won the title to begin with; seriously?), which has always felt weird because the champion should be one of the most noticeable people of a region.

The sidequests would obviously not be mandatory, but I would definitely consider doing some regularly if it means I can really stand out after some time.

Imagine, as you enter a town and start walking through it, you see people around who start talking to others and say things like "Omg...is that champion *fill in your name*..." or "Champion *name*, can I have your autograph?!" When you've gained enough popularity, maybe you might even experience crowds from time to time.
If going that far, why not have the starting town grow bigger as people want to live where the Champion lives? Make the hometown a very popular place to live, in other words.

Cyclone

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here